HPLF WX Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How Many of Your Theories Were Correct?

Go down

How Many of Your Theories Were Correct? Empty How Many of Your Theories Were Correct?

Post  Lady Arabella Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:16 pm

The following is an archive of material originally posted on the Harry Potter Lexicon Forum, hosted by World Crossing, which ceased operations on April 15, 2011.
Lady Arabella
Lady Arabella
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

How Many of Your Theories Were Correct? Empty Re: How Many of Your Theories Were Correct?

Post  Lady Arabella Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:17 pm

How many of your theories... were correct? (10/22/07-11/11/07)

Edited Nov 11, 2007 11:49 pm

How many of your theories/ideas/predictions were correct?

A - Most of them
   B - Some of them
   C - I was way off on everything!

(Suggested by geauxtigers)

This poll will be closed some time after 8pm (server time) on Nov 11.

geauxtigers - Oct 22, 2007 3:40 pm (#1 of 29)

I way wrong on a few things, but for the most part, I did fairly well with the major things i.e. Snape was good, Harry wouldn't actually kill Voldemort, Hermione would end up with Ron ect. Where I went wrong was how all of those would unfold. So mabye I should go with B ....

legolas returns - Oct 22, 2007 4:29 pm (#2 of 29)

I am with with you Geauxtigers-Some correct some things wrong. I bet there will be a lot of know all people going A . Hee hee.

PatPat - Oct 22, 2007 4:29 pm (#3 of 29)

hmm. This is tough. I had a lot of things correct like Snape's loyalty, that Harry's little acts of kindness would be important, but I was totally wrong on the big Harry is a horcrux debate. I guess I'll go with B.

Finn BV - Oct 22, 2007 8:05 pm (#4 of 29)

Erm, reading through DH I just kept doing a silent happy dance because so many things came out the way I wanted them to (and had predicted). The only thing I was totally off on was that Harry is a Horcrux, but honestly, I can't think of anything else I was really wrong with. I'll go with A a little proudly, I guess.

kaykay1970 - Oct 22, 2007 8:51 pm (#5 of 29)

B for me!

Phelim Mcintyre - Oct 23, 2007 5:07 am (#6 of 29)

I can only vote one thing B

azi - Oct 23, 2007 5:56 am (#7 of 29)

B

Anything major I was way off on. The little things I was better at.

Mrs Brisbee - Oct 23, 2007 6:16 am (#8 of 29)

B

I was rooting for Snape to be evil. Darn!

journeymom - Oct 23, 2007 10:22 am (#9 of 29)

I'll go with A, most of them. I started a list of predictions back in February, and I'm surprised at the number I got right. I'm very greatful to be wrong about Hagrid, I thought he was a gonner. And I just know JKR almost killed him so many times just to tease us!

I thought for sure Harry wasn't a horcrux, because I just couldn't imagine how that could be so and Harry still be alive at the end of the story. Fortunately, JKR was writing the story.

I'm still bummed that there was no mention that Madam Pince is Eileen Prince. (Notice how I state that like it's a given? Lol!) But I haven't given up on that one, simply because there's no saying she isn't. If JKR writes an encyclopedia, I hope she includes this theory.

Finn, you have much to be proud of!

PeskyPixie - Oct 23, 2007 10:38 am (#10 of 29)

B

I knew about the diadem horcrux from the first time I read HBP! I was getting frustrated waiting for Harry to figure it out!

Very pleased that DH confirmed Lily and Sev knowing one another prior to Hogwarts.

I hypothesized (after OotP) Draco's life being endangered by LV and also of Harry saving his life ... let's see, lots of little things, of course ...

My mom had an inkling about Snape being headmaster from the time she read GoF, but that's just too weird!

Anna L. Black - Oct 23, 2007 11:13 am (#11 of 29)

I was going to say B, but then I went to the predictions' threads, and it turns out I had a lot of things right - Harry being a horcrux, Ravenclaw's tiara being a horcrux, Ollivander kidnapped by DEs to help Voldie acquire a new wand, the trio living, Lupin and one of the twins dying, Snape being on DD's side and dying, Hogwarts reopening but Harry not returning, Wormtail and Bellatrix dying. I also said:
Lily: What do you think will be the important thing we learn about Lily?
Another difficult one. Personally, I'd like to know who was "that awful boy" Petunia was talking about.
And, I guessed that the DH Scholastic cover shows Hogwarts!

I was wrong about Hagrid dying, about Harry going through the veil (it ended up being not meaningful at all...), about Snape's patronus being a bat, about DH starting in Hogwarts (since we never saw the trio leaving), and about Snape not loving Lily in the romantic way.

OK, I didn't originally mean to list all those things. And most of them were not my original ideas/theories at all. But I think I'll still go with A

I Am Used Vlad - Oct 23, 2007 2:25 pm (#12 of 29)

OK, it is confession time. I knew that the HBP was Snape. When JKR came right out and said that there weren't any true pure-bloods shortly before the release of the book, it became impossible to introduce Draco's grandfather into the story without everybody sticking their finger into the air and saying "Aha." It was clear then that he would be the Red Herring, and the old Potions book would actually belong to Snape.

I almost warned Finn that we were falling for the Red Herring the night I changed my avatar to Draco, but he accidently called Buster “Charlie” and I got sidetracked.

I'll go with B, since I made a lot of bad predictions.

Oh. Oh. I knew something about Dumbledore, too.

PeskyPixie - Oct 23, 2007 2:38 pm (#13 of 29)

Yeah, I'd figured the HBP was Snape as well, but I've never heard of the Abraxas Malfoy theory. Interesting.

I'll go away now.

[BV, Finn]Finn BV - Oct 23, 2007 6:47 pm (#14 of 29)

Well, Vlad, perhaps it's a good thing I called Buster “Charlie,” because I had never even considered Abraxas Malfoy -- he was nothing more than a name in passing for me.

Oh yeah -- theory I was most proud of was that Dumbledore knew he was going to die and Snape just had to kill him. I didn't think of it myself (obviously) but I was definitely on board and I converted a number of people.

mona amon - Oct 23, 2007 8:39 pm (#15 of 29)

I think on the whole I belong to the A category.

I'm especially pleased that most of my posts on the 'Dumbledore's Death-what Really Happened' and 'Malfoy's Task and The Vow' threads were quite close to the mark, and nothing really surprised me very much in the Prince's memories, except for Harry being a Horcrux. How wrong I was about that!

TwinklingBlueEyes - Oct 24, 2007 6:34 am (#16 of 29)

B

[Pince, Madam]Madam Pince - Oct 28, 2007 8:19 am (#17 of 29)

B, I think.

wynnleaf - Oct 28, 2007 10:55 am (#18 of 29)

Hm, as regards Snape I was pretty much on target. Snape was loyal to DD, good friends with Lily (I even thought it was possible from pre-Hogwarts), Spinners End was really the home he grew up in. I was right that Snape was working on DD's orders. I'm not sure whether or not DD had many events the night he died planned out - or planned for -- but it's possible I was right there as well.

I was pretty firm in believing that Harry would learn of Snape's loyalty and be more of less reconciled to that before he would confront LV. Correct. I was, however, very surprised (and disappointed) that Snape died before any forgiveness took place.

I thought that Lupin's weaknesses would bring him to the point of possibly inadvertently, betraying someone - either Harry or someone in the Order. I was partly right. In my opinion, his leaving his wife and unborn child was a betrayal. And I was right that he would be remorseful. I thought something really Bad would come of it and was quite wrong there. I was sure Lupin's weak actions would affect Harry and Harry would see and know those actions as weak -- definitely right there.

I thought Harry was a horcrux. Correct.

I thought that even if DD was dead he would play a major role in the last book and be a part of things even if in death. Correct.

I thought Hagrid would die. Wrong. I thought Snape might live. Wrong.

I did not think Snape directly killed DD. In fact, I thought JKR wouldn't have one of the good guys kill another good guy and then explain it as okay in a series that is directed toward children. Definitely wrong there.

That's mostly all I really guessed at, I think. So I'd put that down as "some" correct.

B

Finn BV - Oct 28, 2007 12:28 pm (#19 of 29)

PotterCast 122 reveals that Jo told the Leaky team that Harry wasn't really a Horcrux at the end of DH but was just called that for convenience -- since it had never happened before, there wasn't really a name attached to it. So I guess in a sense I was right about that too. Though wynnleaf reminded me I had Hagrid marked for slaughter. Why did everybody think this, myself included? Jo never even considered it.

Anna L. Black - Oct 28, 2007 1:44 pm (#20 of 29)

I think everybody thought that Hagrid would die because he was practically the only father-figure left for Harry (after the deaths of Sirius and Dumbledore). His death would have hurt Harry immensely, as he was his first friend, mentor and guide in the Wizarding World. So it was logical to assume that he will die, to mark Harry's complete loss of innocence (although you can say it already happened in the end of HBP, or even sooner). Eventually, Dobby fulfilled that role for Harry, but Hagrid was a good candidate for it. *Feeling too serious. now that's better *

azi - Oct 28, 2007 2:57 pm (#21 of 29)

I just don't like Hagrid so I put him down for dying in books 5-7 in the hope he would. That sounds harsh, but it's true. I still don't like him, in all honesty.

wynnleaf - Oct 28, 2007 4:14 pm (#22 of 29)

azi,

I'm very curious as to what you don't like about Hagrid. Mind telling us? Maybe on the Hagrid thread, as I'm sure it would start a discussion?

virginiaelizabeth - Oct 28, 2007 6:27 pm (#23 of 29)

B The major things I got right, but when it came to the details of those major things, I was pretty far off.

Tazzygirl - Oct 28, 2007 10:16 pm (#24 of 29)

Hehe, I think I'm the only one voting C.

I really thought Snape was a bad guy. I thought Harry was going to live, but I didn't want to bet my own life on it. I had no clue that the Lily/Snape 'ship was even there (I thought people were just playing around. LOL). I guess if I had paid more attention to each of the threads, I would have made better educated guesses. The only thing (I think) that I knew was going to be true was DD really being dead (before JKR said it was a fact...). LOL

Good Evans - Oct 29, 2007 5:46 am (#25 of 29)

B for me - missed the Harry being a Horcrux and Lily being Severus' love. But most other things I was spot on or close enough.

also - still believe that Sev's mum is Madam Pince!!!! will not relinquish that until JK says so... heh heh heh How Many of Your Theories Were Correct? 2752390508

Madam Pince - Oct 29, 2007 6:06 am (#26 of 29)

Yeah, I was definitely disappointed that Dumbledore's reference to the Wizarding Protection Program in HBP didn't come up again... it really seemed like the kind of thing she'd do -- drop a little reference, then have it be a big plot point later. Sigh... Another theory I got wrong. But I'm still holding with my B.

jo bot - Nov 5, 2007 4:33 pm (#27 of 29)

I guess that I would say B.

I was right about:

Diadem & the RoR

RAB & the locket

an instrumental Neville

Harry and Ginny together at the end

Lily and Severus relationship (not as to how deep it was but that there was something there).

Wrong about:

Trio going back to school

Squeak of stair at 4PD meaning something hidden there

I argued against HarryCrux theory, lol.

Waffled about:

Snape--Friend or Foe

who would die

No Clue about:

Harry mending ties with Kreacher

all of DD's past

Dobby dying

how many unforgivable curses would be used by 'good' people

how much Polyjuice Potion was used in book

severusisn'tevil - Nov 8, 2007 2:50 pm (#28 of 29)

BBBBBBB

RIGHT ABOUT

Severus and Lily

Remus and Tonks getting married and having a son (but I thought he'd be named Sirius James)

SEVERUS ISN'T EVIL !!Smile

Harry and Ginny (and his first son being named James)

Ron and Hermione

Severus dying (sadly, he's just the type of character to kill tragically

Severus being "that awful boy"

Trio really dropping out

Lycanthropy not being hereditary

RAB

DD staying dead

Harry surviving the books (though I didn't care personally. I wanted Severus, Remus and Tonks to pull through, and *they* didn't. The only reason I had to want Harry alive was that so many people in the WW *do* care about him, and we really don't need to see Remus have that kind of a nervous breakdown, thank you.)

//////////////////////////

WRONG ABOUT/DID NOT SUSPECT

Dobby's death

Colin's death . . .all the other minor characters that were slaughtered needlessly

Harry as a Horcrux (she said he wasn't!!!)

Remus/Tonks dying (okay, I was worried, but I thought they might pull through.

DD's past

Albus Severus

Kreacher

effect of Horcrux Potion

Aberforth

Fred dying (what gives, anyway?)

Meeting Tonks's parents

Ron being kind of a git and leaving

The diadem

How quickly the hunt for Horcruxes would go

The Bloody Baron

S.E. Jones - Nov 12, 2007 12:31 am (#29 of 29)

Time to close the poll.

Results: the most voted for answer was B with 76.2% of the vote.

Question: How many of your theories/ideas/predictions were correct?

A - 4 of 21; 19.0% - Most of them
   B - 16 of 21; 76.2% - Some of them
   C - 1 of 21; 4.8% - I was way off on everything!
Lady Arabella
Lady Arabella
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down