HPLF WX Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Made You Shout Out Loud?

Go down

What Made You Shout Out Loud? Empty What Made You Shout Out Loud?

Post  Lady Arabella Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:49 pm

The following is an archive of material originally posted on the Harry Potter Lexicon Forum, hosted by World Crossing, which ceased operations on April 15th, 2011
Lady Arabella
Lady Arabella
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

What Made You Shout Out Loud? Empty Re: What Made You Shout Out Loud?

Post  Lady Arabella Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:54 pm

What Made You Shout Out Loud?
djellibabe - Aug 15, 2004 3:57 am

Edited by Kip Carter Nov 17, 2005 12:36 am
I was reading the most touching moments thread when I realised that I had never cried whilst reading JK Rowling, but I have shouted out loud!!

The occasions that spring to mind are OotP, The Woes of Mrs. Weasley...knowing that somebody? was going to die in this book and then reading...

'Someone was cowering against the dark wall, her wand in her hand, her whole body shaking with sobs. Sprawled on the dusty old carpet in a patch of moonlight, clearly dead, was Ron.'

Maybe I wasn't being very smart but she really had me there for a moment. You can't imagine my relief!!

My second moment was OotP, The Eye of the Snake. (Harry and Cho are alone in the Room of Requirement)... 'She was much to close. He could see every tear clinging to her eyelashes' then I turned the page and.. 'He returned to the common room half an hour later...' I called JKR something really rude at that point.

What do other people think?

Liz Mann - Aug 15, 2004 5:55 am (#1 of 161)  
Lol!  

I can't remember if I shouted out loud, but I know that I got VERY angry in CoS when the Slytherin team turned up with better brooms than Harry.

Penny Lane. - Aug 15, 2004 5:58 am (#2 of 161)  
I was half yelling, half muttering mean things under my breath to Umbridge when... oh, whenever she appeared. Grrr.

Archangel - Aug 15, 2004 6:24 am (#3 of 161)  
I said an enthusiastic "Alright!" when Dumbledore finally appeared in the MoM fray. Smile I was speechless the whole time Barty Crouch Jr was confessing... I wanted to shout "NO WAY!" but it was all too much to take in that no words came out.

aberforth dumbledore's #1 fan - Aug 15, 2004 9:44 am (#4 of 161)  
Edited Aug 15, 2004 10:44 am
The hair on the back of my neck stood up when I read the part about Hagrid beating all of the people that had come to fire him.

Elanor - Aug 15, 2004 10:04 am (#5 of 161)  
When Lupin tries to hold back Harry after Sirius has fallen behind the veil, because Harry doesn't understand what Lupin has (and us with him), already understood. To be honest, I cried on my book here.

Julia. - Aug 15, 2004 11:51 am (#6 of 161)  
I screamed constantly during the Shrieking Shack scene in PoA, and in the DoM scene in OoP. Every time I read it I scream out "Siruis Lupin Moody Tonks and Kingsley! W00t!" and throw my arms up in the air. Also, I screamed out this morning when I read that Aberforth is the barman at the Hogs Head.  

Loopy Lupin - Aug 15, 2004 1:03 pm (#7 of 161)  
In OoP when it appeared that Hermione had been killed. It wasn't such a shout as a low (but perfectly audible) "Ooooh Noooo!" That was perhaps a little silly (she can't kill Hermione), but she had me going there for a second.

In GoF when it was becoming clear that "Moody" was the bad guy, I had to say "Gimme a Break!" because, obviously, this had been done in PS/SS. But, then Harry seemed to think "it had to be" a bad joke too and it turned out to be a nice twist after all.

Madame Librarian - Aug 15, 2004 1:16 pm (#8 of 161)  
When Pet knew who the dementors were in the beginning of OoP. I shouted, "Whoa," while reading and my son, sitting in the same room, said, "What, what? Tell me...." But as he hadn't started the book yet, I couldn't say a thing. I just kept say, "Oh, boy, oh, boy, oh, boy, this is huge!"

When Jordan got to that part a few days later, he called me at work to say that he knew now why I shouted.

A few weeks later, when my husband got to the book, he, too, let out a yelp at the same part.

Obviously we three are big believers in the Petunia is...um, something theory. Nobody's laying down any sickles as to what, however.

Ciao. Barb

coolbeans3131 - Aug 15, 2004 1:46 pm (#9 of 161)  
I've never cried either, but I did shout at Harry to shut up when he kept mouthing off to Umbridge. I just didn't want him to keep getting those horrible detentions.

My daughter made me promise not to yell anything else out loud, because she couldn't start reading it until I was done.

Steve Newton - Aug 15, 2004 3:03 pm (#10 of 161)  
3131, do you mean to say that you wouldn't let your daughter read it first?

Loopy Lupin - Aug 15, 2004 3:25 pm (#11 of 161)  
I think that's exactly what she's saying. And, (ahem) what's wrong with that?

Leila 2X4B - Aug 15, 2004 4:06 pm (#12 of 161)  
For me it was when Mcgonnagall got hit with the four stunners. At that point I was furious.

Leila

Steve Newton - Aug 15, 2004 4:20 pm (#13 of 161)  
LL, nothing, of course.

djellibabe - Aug 15, 2004 6:12 pm (#14 of 161)  
The four stunners made me mad too and I know was yelling and clapping when the Centaurs dragged Umbridge away. I think my exact words were 'about time too!'

Leila 2X4B - Aug 15, 2004 7:36 pm (#15 of 161)  
I also yelled at Harry when he realized that he led his friends into the trap. "You stupid git, how can you be so oblivious"

Loopy Lupin - Aug 15, 2004 8:37 pm (#16 of 161)  
Edited Aug 15, 2004 9:37 pm
Oh, how could I forget about Umbridge. Pretty much from the first detention on, I would call her something out loud that would have made Hermione say "Loopy!!" during just about every appearance.

Leila 2X4B - Aug 15, 2004 8:40 pm (#17 of 161)  

*unable to stop sniggering* It maybe the post or the avatar, Loopy. I am still not sure

Leila

Round Pink Spider - Aug 16, 2004 4:59 am (#18 of 161)  
I was cheering when Peeves saluted Fred and George, and then they flew off into the sunset. Go, F & G! What an exit!

Liz Mann - Aug 16, 2004 5:20 am (#19 of 161)  
Edited Aug 16, 2004 6:20 am
I laughed out a loud a LOT of times during OotP.

Even though I don't think I made any kind of sound, every time Umbridge appeared in the book I got really nervous. Especially after the Gryffindor/Slytherin match when she came into Umbridge's office. Oh, and I think couldn't believe it when she took away Harry's position on the team. That just made me angry.

And I cried for aaaaaages when Sirius died! I felt ill for the rest of the day and I was constantly depressed for the next couple of days. It was like someone I knew had died.  

Catherine - Aug 16, 2004 6:24 am (#20 of 161)  
I know I laughed out loud several times, but I think I moaned when Sirius fell through the arch. I went back and reread the passage several times before I could believe it. I almost didn't go on the next chapter right away, but of course I couldn't stop reading.

Sherbie Lemon - Aug 16, 2004 7:25 am (#21 of 161)  
Edited Aug 16, 2004 8:26 am
From far away, above his head, he heard a high, cold voice say, Kill the spare."
I remember gasping, "What the?!" when I came to this part in GoF.

Fawkes Forever - Aug 16, 2004 7:57 am (#22 of 161)  
Edited Aug 16, 2004 9:06 am
Yelling out loud.... at Harry before he jumped into the pensieve to look at Snape’s worst memory I was going... "Don't do it Harry, he'll catch you & probably kill you".

I also was heard to mutter "Bloody Hell" twice at the begining of OotP, the first time was when we discovered that Mrs Figg was a squib, the second was Aunt Pet's revelation  

I kept tutting at Harry being all moody with Ron & Hermione during OotP.

I had a bit of a "nooooo" moment when Arthur was attacked... & when Hermione was attacked & when the brains attacked Ron. I had a "huh" moment when Sirius fell through the veil.

I also laughed very loudly, on a train may I add, when I read the Valentine’s day fiasco in CoS.

Major laugh out loud moment at Gred & Forges fireworks... in particular one that passed the window of the boys dorm with a certain rude word emblazoned into the sky (did I mention I have a very 'mature' sense of humour :goofygrin:).

Ohh I could go on forever... I'm very expressive whilst reading  

EDIT : Oh yeah when Harry got the letter in OotP saying he was expelled... I was like... "What!!! What's going to happen now"?

My big sis was recovering from an operation a few years ago, so I loaned her my HP books so she could entertain herself during her recovery. I arrived home from work one day to find her most distraught! I asked what was wrong, but she groggily answered, "Poor Harry, what’s he going to do?" Apparently she'd just read the scene in PoA where Harry blows up Aunt Marge & was out roaming the streets. Poor girl, I had to tell her to keep reading... that it would be ok... hee hee! Well she was on medication as well, but just goes to show how we all care about Harry  

septentrion - Aug 16, 2004 11:11 am (#23 of 161)  
I think I've shouted a lot too, but what I remember most is I cried when Sirius died and like Liz I felt depressed for hours because of this. I almost felt like Harry : despair, rage.

I laughed out loud with the mayhem in Hogwarts and Umbridge who couldn't manage with it. Umbridge-itis made me ROFL.

Star Crossed - Aug 16, 2004 12:04 pm (#24 of 161)  
Well, when I read that Sirius died, I cried for hours. My mother and father returned home shortly after I read it, and they found me in my room, crying hysterically. I didn't get it until Harry tried to go in after him, and that just lit the waterworks. When my mother asked me what was wrong, I told her I couldn't tell her and I couldn't find my glasses. (I remember throwing them when the fight started.)

And...er...I'm going to have to follow after JKR when I say this, but the truth is, I gave an evil sort of 'Ha' when I found out Hagrid was missing. I was 110% sure he was dead, and I finally predicted something right. Then I got sore when I found out he lived. *hides*

Kasse - Aug 16, 2004 12:28 pm (#25 of 161)  
Ok I have to admit I have shed tears in every book except the first two, and I am not a crier

Onto the moments that have made me yell out loud.

In OOP when Harry would mouth off to Umbridge I would yell at him to stop (and quite honestly felt like shaking some sense into him)

In GOF during the second test when Harry sees Ron, Hermione and Cho under water I had a "what the Hell are they all doing there!" moment

In OOP when Harry was expelled

In OOP when they were fighting the Death Eaters and one of them (I do not remember who) was going to hit Hermione with the Avada Kedavra curse. I did not even read the next sentence as soon as I read the part where the person lifted their wand and said Avada I began hysterically screaming "expelliarmus, expelliarmus, expelliarmus" at the top of my lungs.

I kept saying things like "Oh no not Tonks" or "not Hermione" Or "Ron MOVE" or "Come on Neville you can do it" or "Dumbledore just kill him!" during the whole fight scene - needless to say I was very vocal.

I laughed when McGonagall insulted Umbridge in OOP.

Hmm I cannot remember any more off the top of my head right now.....

Eponine - Aug 16, 2004 1:30 pm (#26 of 161)  
When I was reading OOtP, I was in the same room as my best friend who was also reading, but is a much much slower reader than I am. (I finished in less than a day, and it took her a week) So everytime something happened, I had to control my instincts to yell insults at Umbridge and advice at Harry. I did give a shout of surprise with Mrs. Figg revealing herself and Petunia letting the dementors slip. I laughed hysterically at Fred and George's legendary escape from Hogwarts, and I cried when Sirius died. But I couldn't say why because she wasn't there yet. My sister had also finished it that day, so I would go out of the room to call her and express myself.

As far as the other books, it's been such a long time since I first read them, that I don't really remember my reactions as much. But I do remember being properly shocked when Scabbers was Pettigrew and Moody was Crouch.

djellibabe - Aug 16, 2004 2:00 pm (#27 of 161)  
Didn't anybody else think Ron was a gonner or am I just dense?

Padfoot - Aug 16, 2004 3:00 pm (#28 of 161)  
Edited by Aug 16, 2004 4:01 pm
I thought for sure Arthur was going to be the one who died, and I did not want him to die. So wow was I surprised when it was Sirius. I knew someone was going to die, but my brother who already read the book refused to tell me. So I was stunned when Sirius died. I cried when Harry was in DD's office, upset.

I also cried at DD's speech at the end of GoF (They better leave that in the movie).

I laughed out loud throughout all the books, especially at Fred and George.

T Brightwater - Aug 16, 2004 5:01 pm (#29 of 161)  
The thing that caught me most off guard was in GoF at the Quidditch World Cup, when one of the Ministry wizards is trying to persuade "Archie" to put on trousers instead of the flowery nightdress he's wearing. I just about hyperventilated when Archie said "I like a healthy breeze around my privates, thank you!"

Shanda - Aug 16, 2004 7:19 pm (#30 of 161)  
I kept saying “no no no” when Sirius fell through the veil. I kept denying to myself that he was dead. When I accepted his death I cried.

I also kept telling Harry that it was a bad idea for him to go into Snapes memories. I knew that he would be caught. I yelled "see I told you so" when Snape did catch him.

I always laugh when Fred and George are around. My favorite scene is when they leave Hogwarts in OOtP. It was definitely worthy of a Fred and George exit. I just hope that they have a good part in HBP.

I was shocked with PoA and GoF, but I don't remember expressing any emotion when reading besides chuckling at the funny parts.

Paul Filippelli - Aug 16, 2004 9:42 pm (#31 of 161)  
When I got to the part in the Order of the Phoenix where THE PERSON I AM NOT GOING TO REVEAL dies, I yelled, "NO!!!!!! HE'S NOT DEAD!!!" Unfortunately, my friend was there reading it too, but he was far behind, and he glanced at the page I was on and flipped to that page to see who dies.

In the Prisoner of Azkaban movie, I found myself yelling, "That's so unrealistic!!!" in a scandalized voice, meaning that "realistic" was what happened in the book. I found this very funny once I realized that it is a FANTASY book, and therefore IS NOT realistic at all.

The giant squid - Aug 16, 2004 11:13 pm (#32 of 161)  
Edited Aug 17, 2004 12:14 am

I found this very funny once I realized that it is a FANTASY book, and therefore IS NOT realistic at all.

LOL, Paul. I know what you mean. I find myself doing the same thing.

As for "shouting out loud", I think the only time I shouted was when F&G made their dramatic exit. I gave a hearty "Ha-HAAAA!" at Peeves' salute. Luckily I was alone in the projection booth at the time...  I find myself laughing aloud quite often, though.

Amilia Smith - Aug 17, 2004 7:34 pm (#33 of 161)  
I laugh out loud quite often, but I can not remember a specific instance of shouting. I am sure I have done it. . .

By the end of OotP, I could not put the book down, and stayed up late into the night lying in my bed and reading with tears pouring down my face. I had to go into work a few hours later (5 am shift), and by then had not yet rid myself of the puffy face, the red eyes, or the little black rain cloud following me. I scared one of my co-workers. She asked me if I was OK, and I said no. She got all worried and concerned, and asked me what was wrong. When I told her I had just finished Harry Potter, she started laughing at me. "I thought it was something serious." If only she knew.

Isenduil - Aug 18, 2004 10:48 pm (#34 of 161)  
I didn't exactly shout but when at the begining of OoTP when they made it seem Ron died I just had a weird gulp and was rereading the paragraphs before that to double check. I couldn't even think and realized it was a boggart only when Lupin consoled Mrs Weasley. I felt real stupid after that.

Then a few months later when my little brother finally started reading OoTP and he got to that part (Ron is his favorite character) he let out a weird gulp also but then closed the book really fast and then just looked at me with shock in his eyes. It was so hard for me not to laugh, I just told him to keep reading.

The Wandless Wizard - Aug 19, 2004 5:02 am (#35 of 161)  
I don't make noise when I am reading. I make gestures on the edge of being noise. A silent laugh, a inaudible sigh, shaking my head, smiling, near gasps, etc. However, I am pretty sure I gave Harry a speech when Snape came to 12GMP and told him he would be taking Occulemncy. As soon as Snape said he was going to teach Harry Occulemency and Harry agreed, I gave Harry quite the talking too. I told him exactly what he should have told Snape. I cannot repeat what I said on the Lex, or in most R rated movies, but here is the gist of it:

Harry, you do not have to take this class. It is not a required course, so they cannot do anything if you refuse. So tell that slimy git (lots of expletives deleted here)...tell him that if DD wants you to take Occulemency so bad, he can tell you why or he can get someone who is not a [more deleted expletives] to teach you.

I was really frustrated in OotP with how in the dark Harry was being kept, because I was equally in the dark. Which is just brilliant writing by JKR. Snape, who I do not trust at all, needing to be alone with Harry was too much. In retrospect, I am glad that Harry took the lessons. It made for interesting reading. But that is what made me break my usual silence.

djellibabe - Aug 19, 2004 12:10 pm (#36 of 161)  
Good point Wizard, I thought there was something really odd about that and I still do, but I'm sure that's for another thread. Harry and Snape alone not a good combination. Definitely deserve at least a sharp intake of breath.

Prefect Marcus - Aug 19, 2004 2:19 pm (#37 of 161)  
Well, when Rita Skeeter got under Hermione's skin, I said aloud, "You do not tick off Hermione Granger!"

Crisz - Aug 19, 2004 5:59 pm (#38 of 161)  
I always get a lump in the back of my throat when I read the books, even though I know what's going to happen. Especially throughout OotP, I was basically bug-eyed the whole time (every time).

But I recall laughing for nearly five minutes when Mrs. Weasley found out that Ron made prefect, said something about that being everyone in the family, and George says "What are Fred and I, next-door neighbors?"

HA! It gets me every time! Smile

KWeldon - Aug 19, 2004 7:16 pm (#39 of 161)  
What made me shout out loud was the beginning of OotP, when I first realized that dementors were in Little Whinging. I had NEVER expected for Harry's worlds to cross paths, and I remember thinking, "Oh, God, JKR rocks! I LOVE this!!!"

I am also pretty sure that I said something about Umbridge when I realized how heinous her detention torture methods were, but I can't repeat it here.

The only time I cried when reading the books was at the end of GoF, when Molly was pampering Harry after the tournament. The mothering instinct in me empathized with her desire and inability to comfort him. Although I didn't cry when I realized Sirius was dead, Harry's destruction scene in Dumbledore's office broke my heart. I probably would have cried then, too, if I wasn't so pissed at Dumbledore for not being upfront with Harry.

MzWhizz123 - Aug 19, 2004 7:29 pm (#40 of 161)  
I have read the books more than ten times each, but I still laugh in PA when the Weasleys meet Harry at the Leaky Cauldron:

Percy, however, held out his hand solemnly as though he and Harry had never met and said, "Harry. How nice to see you." "Hello, Percy, " said Harry, trying not to laugh. "I hope you're well?" said Percy pompously, shaking hands. It was rather like being introduced to the mayor. "Very well, thanks" "Harry!" said Fred, elbowing Percy out of the way and bowing deeply. Simply splendid to see you , old boy" "Marvelous," said George, pushing Fred aside and seizing Harry's hand in turn. "Absolutely spiffing." Percy scowled. "That's enough, now," said Mrs. Weasley; "Mum!" said Fred as though he'd only just spotted her and seizing her hand too. "How really corking to see you"

Gosh! I laughed while I was writing it! Fred and George are my favorite characters!

djellibabe - Aug 26, 2004 11:07 am (#41 of 161)  
...and I did have an overwhelming urge, whilst reading PS, 'The Man With two Faces' to shout... HE'S BEHIND YOU!! But if have you haven't seen many English panto's you probably won't find that funny!!

freshwater - Aug 26, 2004 12:54 pm (#42 of 161)  
Paul F. wrote: In the Prisoner of Azkaban movie, I found myself yelling, "That's so unrealistic!!!" in a scandalized voice, meaning that "realistic" was what happened in the book. I found this very funny once I realized that it is a FANTASY book, and therefore IS NOT realistic at all.

Thank you for that, Paul! I literally laughed until I cried (because I feel the same way), while at the same time recalling Lexicon Steve explaining, "It's not REAL!" at Convention Alley last July.

I agree the Round Pink Spider and many others: when Fred and George flew into the sunset with Peeves saluting, I yelled out in triumph. And I always LOL when I read the conversation among Harry, Ron and Hermione after Cho first kisses Harry. It's a classic example of the biggest differences between male and female. **grin**

Flame Alligator - Aug 27, 2004 11:23 am (#43 of 161)  
I express myself "out loud" a lot while reading. Especially, if I am at home. The death of Sirius made me shout out loud. I won't tell what I said. It is PG here on the forum.  

Edit: One other thing: Umbridge's treatment of Harry made me yell out curses at her every single time.

Padfoot - Aug 27, 2004 12:48 pm (#44 of 161)  
Edited by Aug 27, 2004 1:49 pm
Flame, I did not yell out curses against Umbridge but I did call her names all the time. I also had the strong urge to hit her. She made me so angry.  What a great character that invokes such loathing from us! Such a sadistic...um I better say witch here.

Leila 2X4B - Aug 29, 2004 8:09 pm (#45 of 161)  
I am also of the ilk that the books are "what really happened" and the movies are not living up to what "really" happened.

It drives my boyfriend nuts.

Leila

Kwikspell - Sep 3, 2004 4:42 pm (#46 of 161)  
Okay, I'm not an overly emotional person, but I cried in PS/SS when Hagrid delivers the photo album to Harry. It's kind of like an emotional crescendo because DD just got done telling Harry that Quirrell couldn't touch him because his mother died for him. I also cried at the end of GoF during the "Remember Cedric Diggory" toast. Amazingly, I did not cry when Sirius died in OotP (too much foreshadowing I guess), but I did when Harry was throwing his emotional tantrum in DD's office. But only because I've been there before.

I yelled out loud at the Acromantula scene in CoS (Ron and I have something in common, you see) the Shrieking Shack scene in PoA (SCABBERS?!! NO!!!), the First Task in GoF (I was also feeling completely ill with dread), and the Harry's first Umbridge detention in OotP.

Good Evans - Sep 4, 2004 8:50 am (#47 of 161)  
Kwikspell -I shed a few when the album came out too.

The absolute best line and that I think is the only one that I have ever exclaimed out loud to is "what are Fred and I, next door neighbours".

popkin - Sep 4, 2004 3:41 pm (#48 of 161)  
Edited by Sep 4, 2004 4:41 pm
Kwikspell, I tear up every time I read the "Remember Cedric Diggory" speech, too. It is really moving. I also get teary every time Harry gets a lump in his throat - it is just too pitiful that the poor kid can never let himself break down and have a good cry.

From Venus - Sep 5, 2004 5:17 pm (#49 of 161)  
Edited Sep 5, 2004 6:22 pm
When OoP was released, I went with 5 friends to a bookstore that was having a Harry Potter Party. We hung out at the bookstore, standing in line and chatting with all the other hard core Harry Potter fans for hours until midnight, when they started distributing the books. As I live in the country, the bookstore was about an hour's drive from home. So here we were, at about 2:00am, all jammed into a minivan, and one of the girls read out loud from the book while we drove. When Harry starts smart mouthing to Dudley, we were all howling! "Go Harry"! "You Rock"! And when the dementors show up, and Harry fights them off, when he drops his wand and then makes it glow without touching it, when he produces the wonderful patronus and urges it on, well, you would think someone was being murdered in the van, the way we were screaming and hollering.

I finished that book in about a day and a half. I too, was walking around in a daze after what had happened to Sirius. I think it was a combination of shock and lack of sleep. The whole time I was reading that book, I couldn't sit still. I kept getting up and pacing back and forth and mumbling to myself or crying out. I don't think the other books ever had that much of an effect on me.

I do remember, though, that I got quite excited in GoF when Harry performed the first task. When he called his broom to him and climbed on and soared into the air, I was shouting and jumping up and down. It was quite a relief to see him do so well. I was very worried about him in that book. Come to think of it, some of my favorite parts in all the books are when he is flying.

Sorry this post ended up so long. I'll shut up now.

EDIT: I just re-read this and the picture of myself, a 50 year old overweight woman, jumping up and down and shouting while reading a Harry Potter novel, seems so ludicrous, that I laughed out loud. No wonder my husband looks at me strangely!

freshwater - Sep 5, 2004 6:57 pm (#50 of 161)  
From Venus...don't worry about your husband: it's because he's from Mars.**cheeky grin**
Lady Arabella
Lady Arabella
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Lady Arabella Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:01 pm

essie125 - Sep 6, 2004 9:21 am (#51 of 161)  
I have to see that I felt the most intense emotions while I was reading OoP. In the other books my feelings were overpowered with wanting to know what happened next. After reading GoF I was filled with anticipation for the next book. But OoP is definitely the best book when it comes to feeling certain emotions. Therefore I think Umbridge is the best character JKR ever created. She so fits the purpose she was meant for. She's aggravating, she annoys immensely and I every time I read "hum hum" I felt so angry. But I have to say I always had a soft spot for Mc Cognagall. So I thought her dialogues with Umbridge very amazing. I also always had a soft spot for petunia. I just knew that somewhere she cared for Harry. And when she got very upset when she heard about the return of LV I was so touched. And her and mrs figgs revelations. I was like woah! I already knew that it was Sirius who died because they had said that in the Dutch news. So thanks for that (NOT!) I still felt very upset about it though. cos' what a way to go eh. It could have been prevented. Well there were loads of other things that made me scream out, but I can't remember. These were the best though. essie

Magika - Sep 6, 2004 1:46 pm (#52 of 161)  
I shouted out loud when I finally understood what kind of punishment Umbridge (that horrible, horrible woman) gave Harry in detention. I remember thinking: "No way! She can't be that sadistic!" But... unfortunately... that turned out to be more than true...

Kwikspell - Sep 7, 2004 11:19 am (#53 of 161)  
From Venus,

If you think you look strange, imagine how my 82-year old grandmother looks! ;-)

draco all the way - Sep 7, 2004 11:35 pm (#54 of 161)  
I'm not too expressive when reading because I tend to feel silly afterwards. But I do remember that after reading the part in GOF where Cedric is killed suddenly, I just closed the book and stared at the wall for about 5 minutes. I was just so dazed! I also had "NO!" moment when I thought Ron had been killed in OoP. I knew someone was to die in the 5ht book and at that moment I thought it was Ron. And Fred and George always make me laugh out loud!

Kasse - Sep 8, 2004 6:17 am (#55 of 161)  
In COS when Harry tripped over Justin’s petrified body I just yelled "this is SO UNFAIR" because I knew everyone would blame Harry.

Magika - Sep 10, 2004 9:17 am (#56 of 161)  
Came up with another one: When I found out that the "morsmordre" spell actually means "killer of mothers" in Norwegian...

And another: When Ron and Hermione are arguing after the Yule Ball, because I thought that finally, something happened that would move them forwards!!! Too bad, I was wrong...

Guess I shout a lot while reading HP... Maybe that's what the neighbours are complaining about... *considering the fact*

librarian314 - Sep 10, 2004 9:24 am (#57 of 161)  
Edited Sep 10, 2004 10:28 am
Hey all!

I tend to be pretty vocal when I read. If I'm lucky I'll only chuckle when I'm on the Metro during my hour commute to work. (If I'm coming to a good spot, I'll wait until later to read it hard as it might be :-P) No one has scooted away from me, yet!

Anyway...

I can't really speak to the first time I read the books, as my husband read them to me. I would regularly interrupt him with, "Oh no!" and the like.

Now that I'm reading them myself, in bits and pieces, it'll be things that pop out at me that I missed the first time, like foreshadowing and clues. Those get an "I wonder..." or "Does that meant..." or "Duh! Why didn't I see that earlier." (The last with the accompanying slap to my forehead. :-))

PS/SS

The Centaurs' proclamation in the Forbidden Forest in PS/SS caused me to gasp out loud when I realized that it predicted both Cedric's and Sirius' death; I was stunned.

GoF

I was reading this this morning and the conversation when the Diggorys and the Weasleys and friends meet up on the way to the portkey had me sighing. Cedric's dad keeps talking about stuff to tell the grandkids not even guessing what would happen in a little less than a year. :-(

OotP

I was re-reading this the other day and it made me laugh out loud. Harry, Ron and Hermione are having a conversation about Sirius (after Harry's hearing at the Ministry) and Harry asks if they think Sirius is "touched in the head". Of course being from rural southern Virginia, my native accent kicked in and the phrase read as, "tetched inna head". (In my mind there is only one way to say that phrase and it's not with an English accent, I can't even imagine it any other way. ;-) ) Imagining Harry, from Surrey, England with a deep Southern accent cracked me up!

What I specifically remember from when my husband read me the books was freaking out over the formation of DA. They were so young and naive that they didn't understand the danger they were putting themselves in by forming a covert organization. I yelled at them for calling it "Dumbledore's Army", knowing it was going to come back and bite them hard. I fussed that it was such a large group. It should have been a smaller group with only people they really trusted. I yelled at them and shook my head. It was pretty silly.;-)

I cheered when Umbrage got abandoned to the whims of the centaurs and voiced to my dear husband some highly inappropriate and uncharitable thoughts concerning ways the centaurs could vent their displeasure upon said evil teacher. >-) (My husband said something along the lines of, "the centaurs would not sully themselves like that dear." :-) )

There are lots of other places where I made comments and don't get me started on the movies. Every time I watch PS/SS I yell at Harry not to take his letter into the kitchen but put it in his cupboard and read it later. Silly boy, never listens ;-)

I'm really pretty goofy when I read sometimes. With well-written stories, especially those that span several books, I feel that I know these characters, the way you know your best friend's family or your in-laws' family. You may never have met them but you hurt for your best friend when she tells you about her sister's divorce or rejoice with your brother in-law because his sister just had a new baby. So I tear up when I think about all the losses that Harry and Lupin and suffered, make rude comments about Umbrage, and laugh hysterically at Gred and Forge.

*michelle the librarian** who gets far too caught up in her reading :-)

PS: I've even screamed aloud when reading.(an anguished, "Oh no, not Roger" (Diana Gabaldon's Fiery Cross, after the battle where Roger gets caught behind enemy lines. If you haven't read her Outlander series (Outlander, Dragonfly in Amber, Voyager, Drums of Autumn, and Fiery Cross) and like good adventure/romance, you should.)) My husband came running to check that nothing had happened. *blush*

Phoenix song - Sep 10, 2004 1:14 pm (#58 of 161)  
There were several moments in the OoP that made me shout out loud. However, the most disturbing to me was not my verbal response, but it was a physical reaction. Let me explain! On the TV show "Friends" there is an episode where Joey and Rachel exchange their favorite books to further enlighten the other. Joey reads Rachel's favorite Little Women and Rachel reads Joey's favorite The Shining. Whenever Joey gets to a part in The Shining that upsets or scares him, he puts the book in the freezer until he feels safer with it again. At the end of Little Women he does this again when he finds that one of the sisters is dying.

When Sirius is killed in the OoP, I was so upset that I just stared off for a few minutes. Then my next response was this overwhelming need to put the book in the freezer so that I didn't have to face his death. I managed to jerk myself to reality enough to NOT do this, but the feeling was there just the same.

This was an utterly silly response, I know. I thought that I'd share how much HP affects me, though.

Barbie

Elanor - Sep 10, 2004 1:25 pm (#59 of 161)  
Edited Sep 10, 2004 2:25 pm
I love that "Friends" episode too, Phoenix song, and I do understand how you felt then. When I read this passage, I just yelled a French quite rude equivalent of "WHAT?", stared at the wall in front of me too for a moment and then thought I may have not understood it well (it was the first book I ever read first in English, I had read the previous four first in French and after in English), so I reread the passage, but, unfortunately, I did have understand it well...

SarcasticGinny - Sep 10, 2004 6:32 pm (#60 of 161)  
The only HP book ever to make me say anything aloud was OOTP. I gave Ginny (and her "sarcastic" side) a "nice" when she pointed out to Harry that she was the only one he knew to ever have been possessed by Voldemort. I also let out a "ha-HA!" when McGonagall told Umridge off during Harry's career advice.

Siouxwolf - Sep 12, 2004 7:16 am (#61 of 161)  
Hello Everyone,

Hello Phoenix Song, Kasse, Djellibabe (I am on:-) DJellibabe is my cousin who lives in the UK.

OOTP I was very aggressive reading this book, I think I picked up on Harry's anger. Not being told anything, but I also did not like him shouting at Ron and Hermione. I got really upset when Arthur was attacked and I thought he would die, I thought this cannot be happening.

When I found out it was Sirius, I was like 'Oh'. I mean I was upset but seeing that Sirius was not a big character in all the other books like Arthur and Molly, Hagrid, Ron or Hermione or Dumbeldore.

When Aunt Pet started talking in the kitchen I was like 'wow' and old Mrs Figg, fancy her being a squib.

Oh and when Harry starts yelling at that old bat (Umbridge), I thought Harry 'shut up mate, she's gonna kill you!' I really thought Harry would get with Hermione, felt quite disappointed, and then JKR cuts the scene with harry and Cho in the DA room:-(

djellibabe - Sep 12, 2004 10:02 am (#62 of 161)  
Cool Siouxwolf, nice to see you here!! (Kisses and hugs from the boys.) Glad you had some shout out moments, and I must say Sirius didn't do it for me either. It still feels like it never really happened. Maybe it will really hit home next book. Looking forward to having a good shout at the next installment, HURRY UP JO!!

Kasse - Sep 12, 2004 11:57 am (#63 of 161)  
You two are cousins!! I am jealous  

I too yelled in OOP when Harry had his first kiss I shouted "yay Harry it is about time you had a break"

Siouxwolf - Sep 13, 2004 10:04 am (#64 of 161)  
Heya Kasse,

How you doing? Yeah we are cousins:-) My folks have just come back from the UK, they were there for 3 weeks, me I was in SA missing all the fun:-( Djellibabe hugs and kisses back. I am actually busy re-reading my HP's for the zillionth time. So i may have more comments for this thread. I can't remember everything, memory is going, ha, ha, ha

colbow - Sep 14, 2004 8:09 am (#65 of 161)  
My shout out loud moment when, Harry punishment was getting his hand carved into " I will not tell lies" , I wanted to wring Umbridge in half, also when Harry had his career counseling session.

wolfgrl - Oct 12, 2004 1:21 pm (#66 of 161)  
I don't know about shouting, but when Mr. Weasley asks "What exactly is the function of a rubber Duck?" I always say out loud, you fill them with water and spray you older siblings with them when they are not looking.  

I know this one is silly, and I will have to explain a bit first. I saw the first movie, then read all of the available books. So I had in my head what a bathroom at Hogwarts looked like from the troll scene in the movie. So when the CoS movie came out and we see Myrtel's bathroom I shouted that is not what it is supposed to look like.  

legolas - Oct 12, 2004 1:23 pm (#67 of 161)  
The rubber duck thing in the movie made me laugh.

SHEla WOLFsbane - Oct 18, 2004 9:39 pm (#68 of 161)  
Excluding all of the times that I have laughed out loud, and there are many. What stands out in my mind is Molly's "WHAT DO YOU MEAN, THAT'S THE GENERAL IDEA!" Cracks me up every time!

I also have to 2nd that whole Petunia thing... there is definitely something there. And lets not forget Mrs. Figg. Just about any time Harry and Snape are around each other, there is some kind of vocal reaction from me.

The part that I was most vocal on, and for the longest time was in GoF, when Dobby tells Harry that he has to save his wheezy. At first, like Harry I didn't know what he was talking about. But when I got to the part about the sweater, and it will be lost forever, I was VERY vocal! All kinds of, "NO's", and "What do you mean lost forever!" "That can't be right, I had have read that wrong." "Bet you wish now that you would have started working on the puzzle sooner" "Harry you had better hurry up!" Glad that nobody was around when I got to that part. I think I get what people went through when Sirius died, because of that part. I had to read it over, and over to make sure I understood it, and didn't read it wrong or something, before I could go any farther. I also think that was the only time I cried. Still don't really know why other than it was so unexpected.

Seeing how long this post is, aren't you glad I'm not going to post all of my 'out loud moments'. Sorry this is so long, got a bit carried away!

SHE WOLF

Jessalynn Quirky - Oct 19, 2004 2:46 am (#69 of 161)  
How about when Tonks says, "ARE YOU MAD, MAD-EYE!?" I know I said something along the lines of "Duh....why'd you think he was called Mad-Eye?" Pathetic, I know.

djellibabe - Oct 19, 2004 9:16 am (#70 of 161)  
Really laughed reading the last few posts. From the movie, "What exactly is the function of the rubber duck?" Made me howl with laughter and Errol hitting the window. I also had to read the Sirius thing over and over just to make sure I'd read what I thought I'd read.

Amos77 - Oct 20, 2004 6:50 pm (#71 of 161)  
djellibabe, I laughed myself at Errol hitting the window-we knew perfectly well it was coming but that thud, boy...I have to admit, I laughed for at least 5 minutes (I am laughing now thinking about it). I cursed Umbridge at the detention, as well as when she suspended Harry from quiddich, but also at Malfoy-the git (but a cute one at that Smile). And yes, I was a HUGE crier when Sirius fell through the veil Sad (sorry, I have not accomplished the cute smilies yet!) I would have to agree, however, with a number of the prior posts-I was very vocal during all three readings ot o-o-p, JKR is definitely pulling us in-or maybe our obsession is getting that much stronger!Smile

scoop2172000 - Oct 22, 2004 8:50 am (#72 of 161)  
Fred and George letting loose mayhem on Umbridge's first day as headmistress had me laughing until tears were running down my face the first time I read it. I still grin every time I re-read that section.

Tears of another sort spring to my eyes when re-reading several other scenes. The one I find most touching is Dumbledore's conversation with Harry in the hospital wing near the end of SS/PS, where Dumbledore talks about how we carry around the memory of those we love who are gone. I cry in the film version of PoA when Sirius says the same thing to Harry.

Wispy Veil - Nov 6, 2004 4:13 pm (#73 of 161)  
I thoroughly enjoy Ron and Hermione's bickering! I burst out laughing when Hermione was going on and on about how Cho must have been feeling and Ron said that NO ONE could feel all of that at one time because they'd explode! He is just like my husband-completely clueless! The Yule ball scenes were great as well. My mouth dropped when I read that it was Hermione that was Krum's date. I kept yelling "You're not supposed to be with him!"

I also love Hedwig; her first reaction to Pigwidgen is priceless! And Errol! Love that poor guy!

I died laughing during the Tonks/Moody "buttocks conversation".

I screamed at Umbridge in pretty much every scene, and like Harry, couldn't wait for her to come to one of McGonagall's lessons. I am really starting to love McGonagall's character-especially "It unscrews the other way."

Fred and George's exit-classic! I yelled "YES!" over and over. I was so mad at Umbridge for how she treated Trelawny, that I was just thrilled that she didn't get to humiliate the twins the same way when she cornered them in front of everyone. They sure put her in her place! It's amazing how JKR can make us hate certain characters SO much! What an excellent job she did with Umbridge & Rita Skeeter!

Saralinda Again - Nov 6, 2004 8:21 pm (#74 of 161)  
I didn't graduate to shout-out-loud until OotP, and then  whew!

My son drove the car home from the bookstore that midnight, with me reading aloud to him by flashlight. We both howled with Miss Figg, and we were so stunned by the Dementor attack that instead of going home, he came inside and we read the next chapter to each other until, like, three AM. There was a HUGE, gasping "What?" when Petunia knew what a Dementor was. And I called my son and woke him up to read him "I see you have met my mother." Yikes!

I used language that doesn't ordinarily cross my lips *repeatedly* whenever Dolores Umbridge was on the scene (all the more so now, because JKR has produced a creepier, more morally repugnant villain in each episode; I don't even want to THINK about what we'll see in 6 and 7).

The death of Sirius, alas, pleased me on a narrative level. Much as I hated to see him go, it gratified me to see JKR continue, even with a character we love, to demonstrate the brutality we saw with Cedric in GoF. There *isn't* scary warning music to warn us that something dreadful will happen. Most of the people who pass out of our lives do so abruptly, unexpectedly, and without an opportunity for farewells and closure  especially in a time of war. Because JKR does not flinch from portraying this aspect of evil, her portrayal of goodness has more power.

Yeah, I cheered when DD arrived at the MoM to kick asterisks and take names. I cheered even more at Neville's courage and power, though.

My biggest shout  standing up and punching the air with both hands, the book falling to the floor  was when Tonks and Moody confronted the Dursleys at the end of the book. The Dursleys' endless cycle of tiny cruelties had hammered at me like a steady hailstorm for far too long. OH! How I delighted in seeing just a little bit of accountability manifesting itself.

Saralinda

SHEla WOLFsbane - Nov 6, 2004 10:39 pm (#75 of 161)  
Saralinda, I actually like your take on the whole Sirius' death thing. I never quite looked at it like that. It didn't affect me really, it did, but it was more or less anger at Harry, for not listening. Tipping my hat to JKR, for not flinching, hadn't crossed my mind. Since you put it that way though... Hats off to you Jo!

I have to add that McGonagall’s, "It unscrews the other way" Was Priceless! I definitely had a 'You go girl' out loud moment with that one.

freshwater - Nov 7, 2004 4:47 pm (#76 of 161)  
Saralinda, your post made me LOL! Thanks!

McGonagall definitely rose a few notches in my esteem when she rescued Prof. Trelawney from the ranting of the Umbridge toad. I love the way she usually skewers Trelawney and doesn't put up with her psychic nonsense, so coming to her defense in this situation lent that much more depth to her character.

Sirius Lee - Nov 8, 2004 5:03 pm (#77 of 161)  
McGonagall's defense showed how much like a family the Hogwarts professors are (albeit a disfunctional one!). Growing up, I could pick on my brothers all day long, but if anyone else dared say a word, WATCH OUT! McGonagall may mock Trelawney, but like a sister, no one else outside the family can.

edited to add: I think someone else used a family teasing example somewhere on the board. Sorry if I'm repeating your ideas.

dizzy lizzy - Nov 8, 2004 6:27 pm (#78 of 161)  
Hey guys I've had the best hour ever reading all your posts!

They're looking at me pretty strangely at work now...

I am a noisy reader...I talk to the book, talk to the characters, tell the characters what to do, laugh and cry and swear lots when none of them do what I tell them to do. Actually now I know why no-one likes sitting next to me when I read.

I really thought Gred & Forge's exit was the absolute highlight of OoP and Sirius's death the lowlight.

JKR is such a genius to write so as to get such great reactions from her readers.

lizzy

Annika - Nov 10, 2004 7:30 pm (#79 of 161)  
While reading the "Fight and Flight" chapter of OotP, I laughed myself silly. When the trio, Ginny, Luna and Neville are debating about who should go to the MoM on the backs of Thestrals and who should stay, Luna's line absolutely cracked me up!

“I'm not staying behind!” said Hermione furiously.

“There's no need,” said Luna, smiling. "Look, here come more (thestrals) now . . . . You two must really smell . . . . "

Annika

djellibabe - Dec 4, 2004 12:18 am (#80 of 161)  
Now that we are all busy watching the PoA DVD I have been shouting like crazy when Hermione punches Draco and the scene at the Shreiking Shack makes me roar with laughter!! If anybody walks past the house it must seem like there is some kind of loony on the loose. And of course the scene when they think Buckbeak is killed and they all hold each other always makes me go AAAhhh!!

Madame Pomfrey - Dec 5, 2004 2:28 pm (#81 of 161)  
I love the part in POA when Snape is told by the portrait "Are you deaf?" Snape raises his wand in the air before putting out the light. It looked like a "birdie" to me and knowing Snape I can imagine what he was not saying. I laugh every time I see this part.

SHEla WOLFsbane - Dec 5, 2004 4:58 pm (#82 of 161)  
Speaking of Snape- I laughed while re reading SS/PS. I got to the part where he is in the staff lounge, getting his leg fixed, and he says something like, "Honestly, how are you supposed to watch all three heads at once?" Just the fact that it is Snape who says it, makes it all the more funny to me. I just can't quite see anyone else pulling that line off.

Nicole Bloom - Dec 20, 2004 2:07 pm (#83 of 161)  
I found one just last night while re-reading PoA. When Harry wins the Quidditch Cup and people start storming the field in excitement. Percy is "jumping up and down like a maniac, all dignity forgotten." I can just imagine this quiet, proud kid all over a sudden screaming and jumping like an idiot and oh, it made me LAUGH!

Sirius Lee - Dec 20, 2004 3:33 pm (#84 of 161)  
I don't know about shout, but this part makes me laugh out loud every single time I read it. It's from GoF, when the Weasley's realize they can't get through the Dursley's boarded up fireplace:

Ron's voice now joined the others'.

“What are we doing here? Has something gone wrong?”

“Oh no, Ron," came Fred's voice, very sarcastically. "No, this is exactly where we wanted to end up."

It's so very sarcastic, I love it!!

Miccaya - Dec 27, 2004 2:03 pm (#85 of 161)  
I adore Fred and George. I laugh at everything they say. The thing that mainly comes to mind is when Mrs. Weasley thrust the twins aside and said something like oh ron that makes everyone in the family. and Fred and George go who are we next door neighbors. Sorry about my bad grammer.

hells456 - Jan 13, 2005 1:50 pm (#86 of 161)  
I laughed my head off in the chapter where Hagrid talks about going to the giants

'And you found them?' said Hermione in a hushed voice.

'Well, they're not that difficult ter find, ter be honest, said Hagrid. 'Pretty big, see.'

Bathilda - Jan 25, 2005 10:44 am (#87 of 161)  
Definitely when the twins left Hogwarts on their chained up brooms! and the part when Peeves springs into attention at the twins' orders to get Umbridge. Peeves and the Weasley twins - Soul mates of Mischief!!

djellibabe - Feb 11, 2005 1:40 am (#88 of 161)  
Every Day I shout out loud when I wake up and realise we are a day nearer the release of HBP. Just imagine how noisy it's going to get in my house when I finally make it to July!!

Elfcat - Apr 7, 2005 8:21 am (#89 of 161)  
I don't remember my first reactions to most of the books, but OoTP still sticks in my mind. First of all, I had pre-ordered the book so that I could start reading it the day of. However, my parents intercepted the delivery guy and hid the book where I would find it later that night. I had such a complete heart attack when I saw it, it was barely even funny. The first thing I did was read the blurb on the inside cover, and I actually fell over when I read that Ron was the new keeper. I was (quite unfortunately) forbidden to read more than one chapter that night, so of course I was yelling (as quietly as possible, I'm not suicidal) towards my parents room: "what? No! I can't stop there!"

I remember gagging for about five minutes as I read the part about Harry's first Umbridge detention Over and Over and Over. I think when I got to Sirius's death I actually put the book down and left it for almost a whole day before I could bring myself to keep going.

Choices - Apr 22, 2005 5:10 pm (#90 of 161)  
Just about anything Fred and George say makes me laugh out loud.

Finn BV - May 16, 2005 4:19 pm (#91 of 161)  
When Dumbledore introduces Firenze as the new DADA teacher after letting Trelawney stay, and all of JKR's descriptions of Umbridge in that chapter, I was like, "Yeah, Dumbledore, you rock! You go, man!" and then I read that whole scene to my parents, trying to explain who on earth Umbridge was and clue them in on anything they missed.

applepie - May 17, 2005 7:50 pm (#92 of 161)  
When I saw the teaser trailer for "Goblet" and they show Hermione at the Yule Ball, I said..."She's supposed to be in a BLUE robes" to no one in particular...

Ruthie - May 18, 2005 8:38 pm (#93 of 161)  
Edited May 18, 2005 9:38 pm
I haven't seen the Goblet trailer Sad  does Hermione not wear her periwinkle blue dress to the ball?? For some reason I was looking forward to that...

I too always lol at the Percy/George/Fred/Harry introduction in the Leaky Cauldron ( 'How really corking!") F & G are classic!

I remember yelling at Harry to listen to Hermione in OotP - not because i knew what would happen but just because she's always right Smile Also being furious with Dumbledore and Snape and Sirius for not telling Harry why he needed Occlumency when they all had the chance and being in constant tears through the MoM scenes and when Harry blows up in DD's office afterwards Sad

applepie - May 19, 2005 6:30 am (#94 of 161)  
no, sadly she is in pink......but that's just me being picky about wardrobe....

essie125 - Jun 1, 2005 2:45 am (#95 of 161)  
I love the trailer I have probably seen it a dozen times. I too said that hermione's dress had to be blue. Just like I said that Mc Gonagall’s glasses had to be a square shape. And numerous other occasions where the movie differs from the books.

Ruthie - Jun 1, 2005 3:55 pm (#96 of 161)  
I just saw another shout out loud bit in CoS, it doesn't make me shout any more but the first time I read it (and even the second) the bottom dropped out of my stomach. It's when Harry goes up to DD's room for the first time and talks to the Sorting Hat. Harry is trying to deal with all the attacks and rumors and figure out what's going on and if he really IS Slytherins heir and you just want him to get a bit of reassurance so when the hat says

“But I stand by what I said before.... “

I was so relieved but then...

“You would have done well in Slytherin. “

I was just like noooooo! Poor Harry.

LooneyLuna - Jun 9, 2005 8:43 am (#97 of 161)  
Fred and George almost always make me laugh out loud. They have some of the best lines. "Really, Harry, it's just corking to see you..."

Umbridge's cruelty made me gasp, the evil toady. When she was going to Crucio Harry in her office, I actually shouted, "NO!!!"

Ron made me snicker when he made the clip clop noises at Umbridge in the hospital wing, and she sat up all wild-eyed and afraid.

Of course, throughout OoTP, I was yelling at Harry to not be such a stuborn teenager. LOL!

GryffEndora - Jun 10, 2005 9:35 am (#98 of 161)  
I just realized this morning while listening to OotP again that I shouted "WHAT????" when Harry got the letter from the Ministry expelling him. I think I had to go back and read that part 2 or 3 times before I continued. I was very disturbed by his expulsion!

Jessalynn Quirky - Jun 11, 2005 11:39 am (#99 of 161)  
Same here. I had to read it about six times before it finally sunk in......and then I had to put the book down before I got too carsick. (I was reading the book in the car on the way home from the bookstore on the very day it came out)

librarian314 - Jun 13, 2005 5:00 am (#100 of 161)  
Hey all!

I just finished listening to all the books on tape and spent much of Sunday morning clinging to my husband, sobbing through the last chapters of OotP. It was so much worse the third time around. I started crying where Bellatrix crucioed Neville and didn't stop until Harry got to Dumbledore's office. I knew what was going to happen and there was no way to stop it.

The first time around I was so engaged in the story and I didn't know the characters that well, that I was upset when Sirius went through the veil but it didn't really hit me. The second time, I was reading at my usual quick pace and just couldn't put it down. I knew the characters better but I didn't get totally weepy. This time, though, it was just dreadful.

Y'all take care!

*michelle the librarian**
Lady Arabella
Lady Arabella
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Lady Arabella Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:20 pm

Hermione Weasley - Jun 13, 2005 8:06 pm (#101 of 161)  
Most of the time I have a running dialogue going on in my head and not really out loud. If I do make an outward noise it's mostly laughter at some funny moment. My favorite funny moment being when in GoF after the first task, Ron tries to apologize to Harry for being a git and Harry waves him off, then Hermione just bursts out crying! Oh I laugh every time!

(SIDETRACK HERE FOR A MINUTE!) Librarian, The Outlander series is also my other favorite series and I think I'm a bit more vocal in her books than JKR's. I feel like I really know Jamie (you know?) and always love his remarks and observations! By the way, did you know that Diana's next book "Breath of Snow and Ashes" is coming out on Sept. 27th? SO EXCITED!

Not So Headless Nikki - Jun 15, 2005 10:46 am (#102 of 161)  
I don't think that I have ever shouted out loud when reading the series, but I must say when I first read OOTP, the part when Hermoine suggests to Harry that he teach them the DADA, I could not stop smiling! Even later in the night after I went to bed I was still smiling about it. I just really, REALLY liked that part of the book. It was such a confidence booster for Harry, and totally unexpected as a reader. One of my favorite parts of that book. Oh, and I usually laugh out loud at the things the Fred and George say.

freshwater - Jun 21, 2005 2:19 pm (#103 of 161)  
NSHNikki, I love that part too. I know I laughed out loud when Ron said, "You know, I don't know if I want someone this stupid teaching me." **may not be an exact quote**

Herm oh ninny - Jun 30, 2005 6:24 am (#104 of 161)  
Edited Jun 30, 2005 8:14 am
The first time I read OOTP I was yelling or cursing through most of the book! I was just sooo angry at what was happening to Harry! I plotted many deaths for Umbridge! lol However, now that I know what happens to her in the end, I can re-read OOTP in peace!

In GOF I always give a shout of laughter when Ron finds out that Viktor invited Hermione to visit him and he starts grinding the table instead of his cup! I also do this whenever Ron calls Viktor Vicky!

Riley the Happy Dude - Jul 3, 2005 1:28 pm (#105 of 161)  
Every time I read Harry's first detention with Umbridge I get very mad and very articulate about what I think about her. Also, when I figure something out I start yelling at Harry for not seeing it.

djellibabe - Jul 6, 2005 12:45 am (#106 of 161)  
I am in the process of reading PS to my son and there is a passage in the chapter entitled 'Nicholas Flamel' where Harry wonders if Snape can read minds and knows they have found out about the Philosophers Stone. Oh boy did I gasp, yes he can, yes he can! Maybe he did know?

djellibabe - Aug 3, 2005 1:40 am (#107 of 161)  
Not being able to post what made me shout out loud(in HBP)!!

djellibabe - Aug 3, 2005 1:44 am (#108 of 161)  
All the obvious ones of course! That kiss! Ron dishing out kisses to the wrong person! Snape the Traitor? The drinking of the potion scene and the death of course. I shouted so loud during this book my throat was hoarse! I laughed out loud too and I must admit, no dry eyes in this house!!

Eunice - Aug 9, 2005 12:12 pm (#109 of 161)  
In HBP, I shouted as a madgirl when I read that the DADA job had been given to Snape. I yelled something like OH HE GOT IT HE GOT IT HE GOT IT etc.

Second time I shouted at the Tonks & Lupin scene, because I don't like Tonks and I'm jealous  I feared what was going to happen since OotP, but when JKR sidetracked us with the Tonks + Sirius 'ship, I had breathed a sigh of relief.

T Brightwater - Aug 10, 2005 1:36 pm (#110 of 161)  
I'm afraid my reaction to Snape getting the DADA job was OH, NO!!!

Ron snogging Lavender and then Hermione taking revenge by going to the party with McLaggan. I wanted to shake both of them.

Jessalynn Quirky - Aug 17, 2005 3:57 pm (#111 of 161)  
I said "OH, NO!" when Snape got DADA job as well. I gasped at least 50 times while reading HBP for the first time, my sister lost interest in counting them after 40.

MWPP - Aug 24, 2005 6:10 pm (#112 of 161)  
I definitely shouted and danced around the room at the Tonks/Lupin scene, because I like Tonks and was incredibly happy that Lupin got a girlfriend (although, like Eunice I was a bit jealous).

TwinklingBlueEyes - Aug 24, 2005 10:22 pm (#113 of 161)  
“he was forced to watch as Dumbledore was blasted into the air: for a split second he seemed to hang suspended beneath the shining skull, and then he fell slowly backwards, like a great rag doll, over the battlements and out of sight. “

I screamed NOOOOO !!!!!!!!!

Herm oh ninny - Aug 25, 2005 12:39 pm (#114 of 161)  
I was too busy sobbing uncontrollably too shout anything at that moment  

Madam Pince - Aug 25, 2005 12:51 pm (#115 of 161)  
I was yelling "Snape???? SNAPE did it???? Are you blankety-blank KIDDING me?????"

Steve Newton - Aug 25, 2005 1:04 pm (#116 of 161)  
Are you blankety-blank KIDDING me?????

I don't think that they allow such language on the Forum.  What Made You Shout Out Loud? 464751818

timrew - Aug 25, 2005 2:18 pm (#117 of 161)  
You're blankety-blank right they don't, Steve!

kage - Aug 26, 2005 12:57 am (#118 of 161)  
I was as immobilized as Harry when DD was killed.

But when Draco said to Snape "I know what you're up to! You want to steal my glory!" I shouted in my mind "There is no glory in killing"

T Brightwater - Aug 31, 2005 12:50 pm (#119 of 161)  
Hey, just cut out the (expletive deleted) language, guys!

Soul Mate for Sirius - Sep 1, 2005 8:27 am (#120 of 161)  
Edited Sep 1, 2005 9:28 am
Hey all! There are so so so many moments in all the books that made me shout out loud. I'm re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-reading CoS (yes, this is literally the 12th time I've read it!  ) and so my shout-out moments from there are:

When Dobby comes running into DD's office with Lucius I was like "Ron was right!! He DOES work for the Malfoys!!"

When everyone finds out Harry is a Parselmouth, I was upset for him, but I was also excited and shouted out "AH HA!" because I finally had an explanation for the Boa scene in PS/SS.

I scream for a good 30 seconds straight everytime I read the scene where Hermione gets petrified even though I know she'll be okay, because I feel so bad for Ron and Harry. They're so lost without her.

When Dobby blasts Lucius down the stairs at the end I have a good "GO DOBBY!!! 'ADA BOY!!"

Okay, that's enough outta me for now. More to come later though I'm sure!!

-Jenn  

Meoshimo - Oct 10, 2006 7:03 pm (#121 of 161)  
But by their own rules, they should allow people to say "Effing" (since it appears in the books).

journeymom - Oct 11, 2006 9:56 am (#122 of 161)  
Hey, what a fun thread!

Where does "Effing" appear in the Books?

I'm like the others who didn't cry when Sirius died but cried the whole time Harry confronted Dumbledore.

Ooooh, I hope they do that scene right in the movie.

juliebug - Oct 11, 2006 10:01 am (#123 of 161)  
There are a few other places I can't think of at the moment, but to me the most memorable is in chapter 2 of OotP titled a peck of owls. Uncle Vernon uses the word when shouting about how he's had enough of the birds flying into his house. It really sticks out in my memory because the language seems so out of character for him, but funny.

Steve Newton - Oct 11, 2006 11:01 am (#124 of 161)  
In one of the books, OOTP, Uncle Vernon says 'No more effing owls.' An early chapter.

juliebug - Oct 11, 2006 11:34 am (#125 of 161)  
Do you ever get the feeling that nobody's really listening to you  

Steve Newton - Oct 11, 2006 11:41 am (#126 of 161)  
Say what?

journeymom - Oct 11, 2006 11:42 am (#127 of 161)  
Steve, did you hear a buzzing noise?

KIDDING!!! Just teasing, juliebug. ;-) I heard you, and appreciated your thorough, detailed answer.  

juliebug - Oct 11, 2006 11:53 am (#128 of 161)  
Thank you Journeymom  

Die Zimtzicke - Oct 11, 2006 1:41 pm (#129 of 161)  
I used a great deal of loud expletive deleted language when Harry and Ginny put on their "Neener! Neener! Look at me making out in front of fifty people" show! It was so tacky and unromantic to me.

I loved it when Luna told Harry he was being rude. He was, for the whole book and no one called him on before that. I laughed very loudly.

I shouted "Yes!" when Tonks was in love with Lupin. I had been saying that for months and getting told I was a crackpot. I think it could have been done a whole lot better, but it was still vindication.

Same with Snape being the HBP. It could have been done better, but I had been arguing with so many people who insisted it was Hagrid, or Draco, and I just had a gut feeling it was neither of them.

geauxtigers - Oct 11, 2006 1:48 pm (#130 of 161)  
Edited Oct 11, 2006 2:50 pm
You're right Julie, page 32 of the American hardback...I never noticed that before!

So what made me shout outloud? Well a lot of things!

SS when Harry gets sorted, I'm always like AHHH don't put him in Slytherin! Even though I've read it a million times.

CoS, when they follow the spiders, yeah I'm pretty much yelling at Harry to just leave! And when he is battling the basilisk I kinda freak out-espcailly when its fang hits him!

PoA when Harry falls off his broom I think I was like Oh my gosh!?!?!

GoF definitly when his name came out the goblet and when we hear "Kill the spare" When Harry asked Cho to the ball I let out a "yeah Harry!" Then when she turned him down I said something that probably is too forum friendly!

OoP of course lots of "yeah" "take that Umbridge" and other rude things when Fred and George left and when everyone was against the toad. I yelled a lot in OoP. On all my rereads, when Harry thinks Sirius is in the DoM, all I can say it "Listen to Hermione, she’s right" I get very frustrated because if he'd have listened to her, Sirius would still be alive. When he dies, I said "no, she can't be serious can she?"

HBP Definitely when Harry kisses Ginny, that was a big shout! I was so happy! Then when DD dies, I was shocked, but for some reason expected it. It didn't surprise me, but I was shocked that she'd actually do that. I was pretty quite for the rest of that book.

juliebug - Oct 11, 2006 2:03 pm (#131 of 161)  
I think that Ron says "effing" somewhere else in one of the books, but I can't remember. Just one of the little things I used to have to censor as I read to my students.

virginiaelizabeth - Oct 11, 2006 2:03 pm (#132 of 161)  
I used a great deal of loud expletive deleted language when Harry and Ginny put on their "Neener! Neener! Look at me making out in front of fifty people" show! It was so tacky and unromantic to me.

I loved that part! I was so happy that it finally happened! I thought it was romantic. Sometimes things like that just happen. I don't think that it was anything about making a scene infront of 50 people. It was bubbling under the surface for so long. Harry didn’t do it there because people were watching, he just well..couldn't wait! He was so happy at winning the cup and it just sorta happened. Very romantic! definitely shouted out loud on that one!

juliebug - Oct 11, 2006 2:05 pm (#133 of 161)  
When Harry started describing his "chest monster" I thought to myself, I guess we know which shippers are going to finish this book happy.

Meoshimo - Oct 11, 2006 4:41 pm (#134 of 161)  
I would love to see what the books would look like if the editors would let Jo use "bad" language. She said that Ron would definitely swear a lot.

Holly T. - Oct 11, 2006 4:49 pm (#135 of 161)  
My kids and I were just talking today about how bad language is used in the books. We like how she says things like "Ron uttered a word that Harry was certain Mrs. Weasley would not approve of" and "Ron made a rude hand gesture, which made Hermione say 'Ron!'" (Not direct quotes.) We like that because it gets the point across without using bad language and you can use your imagination as to what word or gesture fills in the blank and it doesn't, as my daughter said, "set a bad example for little kids."

Meoshimo - Oct 11, 2006 4:56 pm (#136 of 161)  
Personally (and maybe this is just how I was brought up) I've never really understood why most "bad" words are considered so. I understand why people consider them bad, but I've never really agreed with it. *shrugs* I'm weird like that.  

Finn BV - Oct 11, 2006 5:15 pm (#137 of 161)  
Edited Oct 11, 2006 6:16 pm
Psst to Steve: you and juliebug both posted the same answer one after another.

Meoshimo: I understand your logic; my mom said that her priest always told her it's the anger you express in the words that matters. So saying without emotion something considered taboo is fine, and saying something random like "PENCIL!" is just as angry.

But, this isn't a topic we should linger on…

haymoni - Oct 12, 2006 5:02 am (#138 of 161)  
OH, PENCIL!!! - I think I'm going to try and use that, Finn.

My priest explained it exactly the same way - it isn't the word itself, it's the hatred/anger behind it.

I really don't know that I've shouted out loud with anything in the books - I usually just tear up or giggle.

journeymom - Oct 12, 2006 12:48 pm (#139 of 161)  
Anybody who's read "Little Women" might remember that one time Lawrence exclaims something forcefully but completely innocuous by today's standards, and Jo says, "Oh Laurie, don't swear!" I had to ask my mom where the swearing was, because I just didn't get it. She explained that at that time (1870's?) you just weren't supposed to exclaim -anything- because it showed a loss of control and was ungentlemanly/unladylike.

Perhaps Ron could say, "Oh, Fishsticks!" or "Tartar Sauce!" =-D

Thom Matheson - Oct 12, 2006 2:30 pm (#140 of 161)  
This is how W.C. Fields got past the censors in his movies. Balderdash was his way of describing male cow manure. Godfrey Daniels was, well you can all guess. So Finn, you are correct. "Pencils".

geauxtigers - Oct 12, 2006 7:19 pm (#141 of 161)  
Perhaps Ron could say, "Oh, Fishsticks!" or "Tartar Sauce!" =-DM ROFL! **Ron- Spongebob, Ron, Spongebob!**

I never understood 'bad' words either. They are all just words, and they all have meanings that were once not considered. Donkey, ect. My mom doesn't like me saying them all the same.

But we should get back on topic.

Pamzter - Oct 12, 2006 8:20 pm (#142 of 161)  
The only time I actually said anything out loud was when Petunia blurted out what dementors were. I literally yelled, "How did she know that???" and the dog jumped.

juliebug - Oct 12, 2006 8:41 pm (#143 of 161)  
I shouted out loud today at the supermarket. I was in the produce section and saw Snapea Crisps. I said, "oh my gosh, Snape Crisps!" I bought a bag. They are might tasty and surprisingly not the least bit greasy. Thanks Gina!

S.E. Jones - Oct 12, 2006 10:04 pm (#144 of 161)  
Edited Oct 12, 2006 11:07 pm
Let's try to get off the cursing topic, okay? (Unless you want to discuss the AK, or something.) We want to stay forum friendly, after all, so everyone can enjoy the discussion.

I tend to shout (or laugh, or scream, or...) out loud at lot when I read the books, which makes my brother (who is totally in denial about being a Potterholic) run over and ask me repeatedly what happened until I finally break down and read, again, the whole section I've just read aloud to him. Then I'll yell or whatever again five minutes later, and I have to do it all over again. You have no idea how long it takes me to read a HP book when he's around!

shepherdess - Oct 13, 2006 6:41 pm (#145 of 161)  
My daughter and step-daughter were attempting to read OoP at the same time I was, but I got ahead of them because they had other things going on at the time. But when I read the part about the Black family tapestry, and learned about all the relationships, they were in the room with me. With each new piece of information, I would say "oh, my gosh!", and my step-daughter would stick her fingers in her ears and hum loudly so I couldn't reveal any secrets before she read it herself.

Snuffles - Oct 14, 2006 7:08 am (#146 of 161)  
The Snape crisps are real??  

I thought Gina had just produced a great avatar!

Oh where can I get some?

I bet they don't make them in the UK  

juliebug - Oct 14, 2006 12:25 pm (#147 of 161)  
Sorry Snuffles, I just checked the company's website, saladsnack.com, The Snape (Snapea) Crisps are currently only available in the US and Canada.  

azi - Oct 14, 2006 1:58 pm (#148 of 161)  
Really? I could have sworn I saw them somewhere in York...maybe I imagined them.  

Hmm, Dumbledore's death made me shout out loud, in a 'WOW' sort of way.  

Choices - Oct 14, 2006 4:52 pm (#149 of 161)  
Gosh, now I want some. Wonder if they're greasy? LOL

juliebug - Oct 14, 2006 6:14 pm (#150 of 161)  
Edited Oct 14, 2006 7:14 pm
They're baked, not fried for a satisfying crunch without the grease, but still a little high in fat at 8 grams per serving. Did you read post 143?  

Choices - Oct 15, 2006 12:03 pm (#151 of 161)  
I just read it - thanks Juliebug. I shall be on the lookout for them at my local market.

journeymom - Oct 16, 2006 11:50 am (#152 of 161)  
Shouting out loud!

Got some Snape Crisps at the grocery store. They're Slytherin green and quite tasty.

Ack! Take them away from me! They're addictive. I certainly can't eat just one!

juliebug - Oct 16, 2006 12:00 pm (#153 of 161)  
They are addictive. The bag only lasted two days at my house, and I hid them!

Madam Pince - Oct 16, 2006 1:28 pm (#154 of 161)  
Oh, I had forgotten about the Aunt Petunia comment about the dementors, Pamtzer! I yelled out loud at that one, too  same thing you yelled, I think! And LOL, S.E. Jones, because Mr. Pince is the same as your brother. Every time I say something while reading, he's right there, going "What? What happened?" I try not to tell him to make him read them himself...  

Steve Newton - Oct 16, 2006 2:48 pm (#155 of 161)  
Not exactly shout out loud but in the Department of Mysteries, when Harry raises his wand and the others do too I find it very moving. Harry's team is a thing of beauty.

journeymom - Oct 16, 2006 3:09 pm (#156 of 161)  
Does Harry raise his wand and then look behind himself to find everybody else has raised their wands with him? That was pretty neat.

Steve Newton - Oct 16, 2006 4:39 pm (#157 of 161)  
My book seems to be missing in the bowels of my son’s room, so I can't check and I don't exactly remember. I think that he just notices. I'm obviously not sure.

John Bumbledore - Oct 18, 2006 6:05 am (#158 of 161)  
Most scenes with Snape make me Shout, "He should never be permitted to stay on at Hogwarts!" He just treats Harry with such evil malignancy, how can (could) Dumbledore permit it?

I keep thinking it is the one thing that Dumbledore can't see going on around Hogwarts.

<)B^D˜ John Bumbledore  

freshwater - Oct 19, 2006 7:43 pm (#159 of 161)  
I agree with you, JB. As a teacher myself I just seethe with anger at the way Snape treats Harry and Neville. But, I still believe DD sees all and knows all....but he is just so full of compassion for what he knows of Snape's past cruel father, low self-esteem, lack of friends, duped by Dark Lord, etc. that he has pity for him, too. As the song says, he sees "from a distance" and so has a wider perspective than just viewing the incident in itself.

Steve Newton - Oct 20, 2006 5:06 am (#160 of 161)  
journeymom, my copy of OOTP finally emerged from the depths of my sons room. When Harry raises his wand it says "As he did so, the five wands of Ron, Hermione, Neville, Ginny and Luna rose on either side of him." It seems that Harry never lost his focus on the DEs.

It does seem a bit odd that the number of wands and the names of the bearers are emphasized. Is this some Arthurian reference or something?

journeymom - Oct 20, 2006 12:35 pm (#161 of 161)  
Edited Oct 20, 2006 1:36 pm
Lancelot, Perceval, Gareth, Gawain, Tristan are all I can think of off the top of my head. Though there are supposed to be 12.
Lady Arabella
Lady Arabella
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down