HPLF WX Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Efforts to Archive WX Threads

+9
Thom Matheson
Verity Weasley
Madam Pince
Mona
John Bumbledore
Elanor
Lady Arabella
Julia H.
Potteraholic
13 posters

Page 8 of 19 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13 ... 19  Next

Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 Empty The jury's still out on 'Potteraholic had a thread'

Post  Potteraholic Fri May 13, 2011 8:43 pm

The title says it all. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 2435014989 Care to whip up some song lyrics for some other forum members or archivists, John? Or am I the only 'lucky' one? Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 3906177977
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 Empty Beyond Seventh Year

Post  Lady Arabella Fri May 13, 2011 8:53 pm

PAH, there needs to be a "Master" status beyond 7th year - or some kind of Wizarding Graduate degree level - for the number of posts you have!!!! Is there a "Professor" level?
Lady Arabella
Lady Arabella
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 Empty Mona's list of Reposted Threads

Post  Mona Sat May 14, 2011 12:38 am

√ = updated on table

update #1
Hogwarts Staff Members Past and Present
MA, Albus Dumbledore, Y √
MA, Severus Snape Vol. 8 (posts from February 28, 2010 to August 8, 2010), Y √
MA, Severus Snape (posts from July 24, 2008 to February 28, 2010) - Vol. 7, Y √

Wizards, Witches, Muggles, Squibs, Ghosts, Etc
MA, Sirius Black, Y √

Hogwarts Students During the Harry Potter Years
MA, Marrietta Edgecombe, Y √
MA, Draco Malfoy, Y √
MA, Hermione Granger, Y √

New Discussion Threads Not Placed
MA, Slytherin Should be Disbanded, Y √

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

update #2

Wizards, Witches, Muggles, Squibs, Ghosts, Etc
MA, Death Eaters
MA, James & Lily Potter

Theories
MA, I have figured out Cornelius Fudge's dirty little secret!

Opinions On All Things Harry Potter
MA, Job Interview Questions

Magical Items, Spells, and Potions
MA, The Elder Wand - Deathly Hallow #1

Note: Slytherin Should be Disbanded has been moved to the Opinions folder, so it is now ~

Opinions On All Things Harry Potter
MA, Slytherin Should be Disbanded, Y √
Mona
Mona
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 Empty Please read: No need to post new 'reposted threads' update posts.

Post  Potteraholic Sat May 14, 2011 4:33 am

Hi Mona. Thanks for posting your 2nd 'reposted threads' update. The thing is, I mentioned earlier, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], that is was not necessary to update the list of your reposted threads with another post, but to use the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], so it's easy for me to find, in case there are a few other posts to scroll through. And the list in the header will always be in the same place, making it easy for all the archivists to find as well. That was my thinking in using 2 rows of *************, so that that section of the header could be easy to spot. Thanks. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 2752390508 (EDIT: increased the size of the *** from 12 to 16, to make them more visible.)

A link to your original post can be found near the bottom of this thread's header page. I'd provide another link, but then more lyrics might get written about it. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 1242194059
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 Empty Re: Efforts to Archive WX Threads

Post  Mona Sat May 14, 2011 5:07 am

LOL, PAH! And sorry! I can be very dense about these things. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 1437562208

------------------------

I've now got all the Snape threads (thanks Julia and LA), and am formatting them. I think we decided a while back that it will be better to have them all in one thread. Since I have to edit and reformat the Snape threads I've already posted anyway, I thought I'll use Snape vol. 7 to repost all the 8 threads in order. I feel this will be better than posting all the threads seperately and then trying to merge them in the right order. what do you all think?

Since it will take some time, two weeks at least, I'll rename the thread as "Severus Snape: Work in Progress" while I'm doing it.

Btw Mona, I noticed just this afternoon there was a couple typos in that sentence I had never noticed (not the ones you had noticed PaH, it must be a difference sentence) but they're still in the document I sent you.. ~ Elanor

No problem, Audrey! I'll take care of it when I start using it.
Mona
Mona
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 Empty Status beyond 7th year and Snape thread

Post  Potteraholic Sat May 14, 2011 8:14 am

Lady Arabella wrote:PAH, there needs to be a "Master" status beyond 7th year - or some kind of Wizarding Graduate degree level - for the number of posts you have!!!! Is there a "Professor" level?
Professor PAH? Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 3845856932 Now that I like the sounds of! And LA, wait until you start getting into your posting groove. With 15 posts a page, it only takes 6 pages of posts to get to 90 posts, almost 100. And when a thread gets posted at the rate of 25:1, 25 WX posts x 15 posts = 375 WX posts. So, for example, an Archived WX thread that's maxed out at almost 3,000 posts will need 8 pages of 15 posts, which is 120 posts! If the ratio is 50:1, the numbers would be halved, but 60 posts for one thread is still a lot. You'll be getting up there before you know it! Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 266347159

For me, as I said, I'm not doing bulk posting since the nature of the threads I'm reposting doesn't fit that method. So in addition to the Indexed Archives of Potty Games I'm working on (i still have 300+ riddles to post! Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 793915934), there's all of my posts on here and the 'Questions to the Staff' thread. And at the end of the day, I'm a Potty Gamer who loves Five Words Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 266347159, 20 Questions, and Hangman... It's amazing how things just add up!

Mona wrote:I think we decided a while back that it will be better to have them all in one thread. Since I have to edit and reformat the Snape threads I've already posted anyway, I thought I'll use Snape vol. 7 to repost all the 8 threads in order. I feel this will be better than posting all the threads seperately and then trying to merge them in the right order. what do you all think?

Since it will take some time, two weeks at least, I'll rename the thread as "Severus Snape: Work in Progress" while I'm doing it.
Mona, if you're going to repost all the 8 threads in order, why not just start a brand new topic called "Severus Snape: Work in Progress"? And delete the existing ones when you're done? It will save you from editing the Snape 7 posts out and inserting Snape 1 posts in, AND you won't have that somewhat annoying (IMHO) editing message in small black font scrawled at the bottom of the page. I think it would be less time-consuming. Do you see what I mean?

Also, because it would be a multi-volume topic, maybe the header post index just contains a link to the start of each volume, and then between volumes, you have a post that contains a linked index to posts for that particular volume?

Here's a visual representation of my idea:
(Each row in the table is a post that would be in the thread. The INDEX posts are in blue)

Topic - Severus Snape: Work in Progress
Introductory text from WX, etc. (This thread is devoted to Professor Severus Snape, etc.)

Index of Volumes (in table format with links)
Volume 1
Volume 2
Volume 3
Volume 4, etc.
Volume 1's Introductory text from WX, etc.

Index of Volume 1's posts (in table format with links)
1 - 25
26 - 50
51 - 75
76 - 100, etc.
Volume 1, post #1
Snape is a Slytherin.
Volume 1, post #2
Snape was a Death Eater.
Volume 1, post #3, etc.
Snape was a Half-blood.
Volume 2's Introductory text from WX, etc.

Index of Volume 2's posts (in table format with links)
1 - 25
26 - 50
51 - 75
76 - 100, etc.
Volume 2, post #1
Snape loved Lily Evans.
Volume 2, post #2
Snape hated James Potter.
Volume 2, post #3, etc.
Snape respected Albus Dumbledore.
Volume 3's Introductory text from WX, etc.

Index of Volume 3's posts (in table format with links)
1 - 25
26 - 50
51 - 75
76 - 100, etc.
Volume 3, post #1
Snape has greasy hair.
Volume 3, post #2
Snape is anti-social.
Volume 3, post #3, etc.
Snape is a tortured soul.

Hehe, that was fun to do. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 2752390508 But more to the point, does my idea seem clear and make sense?
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Mona Sat May 14, 2011 8:56 am

PAH, starting a new thread and deleting the old ones will definitely be easier. Not understanding how these things work, I thought we shouldn't waste topics or something.

Thank you for all the helpful suggestions! Like a Star @ heaven I'm going to do just that! And your table made me lol!
Mona
Mona
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 Empty Snape thread

Post  Potteraholic Sat May 14, 2011 9:27 am

Glad you enjoyed that, Mona. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 464751818 I could've gone on for a few more 'Volumes', but that would have made for an even longer post. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 1437562208

Re: not wasting topics or deleting threads, as we're still setting up things around here, it's all trial an error, I figure. So some things that don't quite work out should get tossed, I say, so there isn't any clutter. And besides, since these reposted threads do not contain any current/real-time/live discussion, deleting them shouldn't be an issue, IMO.

Happy reposting... I'm off to update the table to add in √ in your thread rows. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 2752390508

Last edited by Potteraholic on Sun May 15, 2011 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling –> it's to its)
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 Empty Reposting update

Post  Elanor Sun May 15, 2011 10:41 am

Phew! I have just finished reposting (index included) the two 'Ship-'Ship threads! I can't believe there were more than 4700 posts on these two threads. I have also updated my list of reposted threads PaH. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 2222139670

John:
My new posting method.

1) Create all the posts needed in a new archive topic using post count in title and title as post content.
2) This gets you sequential post numbers for easy URL creation and duplication for indices.

I thought I could use something like that for creating an index faster but I found out that post numbers don't always follow each other, and the url changes also each time the page changes.

Here are for example the url(s) of some posts (which follow each other) from the alchemy thread:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I've realized that when "t31" becomes "t31p15", it means a new page has been added (on the next page it becomes "t31p30"). I have however no explanation for the sudden gap in numbers at the end of the url, when it jumps from #839 to #902 and then to #904. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 2398211921 So I thought it might be safer for me to actually copy and paste the links while reposting. But maybe I misunderstood what you are doing with the post numbers? Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 1437562208
Elanor
Elanor
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 Empty Help, Please!

Post  Lady Arabella Mon May 16, 2011 12:06 am

Being a Bear of Very Little Brain, are there some simple (repeat, simple) instructions for creating the tables for the indexes (void of colors and url links)?

Or is it better to use the "insert table" function above?

(Going over to the practice thread, although not sure what I'm going to practice . . )

edited to add:
Never mind, I think I just answered my own question . . it is easier to insert a table, as that shows all the basic code.

Next question: When in a table, how does one do a return so that a new line moves vertically and lengthens the column, rather than moving horizontally to widen the cell?
Lady Arabella
Lady Arabella
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 Empty Erm, there is also one reference joke (**see potter puppet pals, "the mysterious ticking noise)".

Post  John Bumbledore Mon May 16, 2011 11:39 am

Potteraholic wrote:
John Bumbledore wrote:PAH, how do you do it all and still not get "link" weary. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 1003735042
Ummm... I didn't think links were really that hard to do. In fact, I find them easy, peasy, 1-2-3sy (or lemon squeezy). Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 2775603007 Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 464751818 Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 1003735042

Or do you mean that I 'over-link'? Hmmm...
Suspect
Lady Arabella wrote:
Potteraholic had a thread... **erm, that sounds pretty catchy!** (doing best Snape Impression).

Potteraholic had a thread...
E-I-E-I-O
And on this thread she had some [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.],
E-I-E-I-O
With [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] here and a [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] there,
Here a [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], there a [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.],
Everywhere a [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
E-I-E-I-O

PAH, how do you do it all and still not get "link" weary. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 1003735042

lol!

ROFL !!!! That is too funny!
Potteraholic wrote:The title says it all. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 2435014989 Care to whip up some song lyrics for some other forum members or archivists, John? Or am I the only 'lucky' one? Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 3906177977
To paraphrase a certain small bear (and Lady Arabella, too), "Being a bear of very" short attention span, I have trouble tracking multiple sources for a list of links. I meant it as a complement, since I know I'd quickly be chasing my tail and get all tired out and making little progress.

No need to get Suspect I get weary when I try to put more than one link in my posts (so I went all out and really worked hard on making many links in that jingle). Maybe I should say I get lost in the process? I start my reply, I look up the post to link, I get distracted and soon it is long after I started that I finally come back to post my reply. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 1933885729

Remember, (for all member of the male species) if there is a good way and a bad way to take a comment, it is always the good way that was intended. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 2752390508 And we males never do things simply... (power tools are fun!)

I suppose I could have simply said I was impress with your ability to track and post multiple links.

Or, can I simply blame it on my muse? Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 2222139670

P.S. Oh and another thing! I really came here to post that I finally finished vol.3 of the JKRowling website threads... So now I'll go update my post for "archive updates." (drat were did I put that link!) Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 3276373137

Last edited by John Bumbledore on Mon May 16, 2011 11:54 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Now adding PPP MTN link)
John Bumbledore
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

http://HPLF-work.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 Empty Post Numbers

Post  John Bumbledore Mon May 16, 2011 12:54 pm

Elanor wrote:Phew! I have just finished reposting (index included) the two 'Ship-'Ship threads! I can't believe there were more than 4700 posts on these two threads. I have also updated my list of reposted threads PaH. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 2222139670

John:
My new posting method.

1) Create all the posts needed in a new archive topic using post count in title and title as post content.
2) This gets you sequential post numbers for easy URL creation and duplication for indices.

I thought I could use something like that for creating an index faster but I found out that post numbers don't always follow each other, and the url changes also each time the page changes.

Here are for example the url(s) of some posts (which follow each other) from the alchemy thread:

I've realized that when "t31" becomes "t31p15", it means a new page has been added (on the next page it becomes "t31p30"). I have however no explanation for the sudden gap in numbers at the end of the url, when it jumps from #839 to #902 and then to #904. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 2398211921 So I thought it might be safer for me to actually copy and paste the links while reposting. But maybe I misunderstood what you are doing with the post numbers? Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 1437562208
Post numbers are handed out sequentially for a new post to any of the HPLF threads. There are several calendar days between post 839 (9 march) and 902 (12 march), so you or other members used post 840 through 901 on other threads here. Then you returned to your alchemy archiving with the next post number available being 902. Again someone made a post 903 (to another thread? or it may have been deleted?) before you made your next post 904.

Good catch on the "pNN" page numbering change in the URLs for a thread. I noticed the pagination change in URLs aslo. As far as the "#number" goes, well this would be a good time to point out that any URL can be followed with a named anchor (here, the names are post numbers; such as 904). Think of them as finger index tabs such as [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.].

The software here assigned a named anchor or [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] to your post. The software creates the url from: thread "31" page "15" "title of thread" #"post number." Then it puts it all together for the above link.

Here the pagination is 15 post per page, so page one has no page offset but page two get that "p15" added between the thread number "t31" and the hyphenated thread title. All that #post-number does is to scroll down that page (if possible) so the named anchor point is at or as close as possible to the top of the area of the page being displayed.

(The #name jumps down to the named point in the page so you don't have to scroll down a long page manually searching or scanning for the post.)

So we could include named anchor point for each post header in the reposting replies we make but I really think that would be well above and beyond anything a reasonable and well informed adult reader would expect from our manual archiving efforts.

So, of course one day when I get all the archived WX posts manually entered in my WX post database I will be able to automatically identify archived WX post links within archived WX posts and update them to HPLF links and anchor points. The database could also provide user posting statistics [such as] most frequent poster, total number of posts by a member, date and time of first (or last) post by a member, longest post, shortest post, most frequent "liker," member most frequently edited by a mod...

All this could be done in the "Archives of Tomorrow!" Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 2351571793 Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 1003735042

Last edited by John Bumbledore on Mon May 16, 2011 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
John Bumbledore
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 Empty LA, have a look at the Practice thread...

Post  Potteraholic Mon May 16, 2011 12:57 pm

John Bumbledore wrote:To paraphrase a certain small bear (and Lady Arabella, too), "Being a bear of very" short attention span, I have trouble tracking multiple sources for a list of links. I meant it as a complement, since I know I'd quickly be chasing my tail and get all tired out and making little progress.

Remember, (for all member of the male species) if there is a good way and a bad way to take a comment, it is always the good way that was intended. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 2752390508 And we males never do things simply... (power tools are fun!)

I suppose I could have simply said I was impress with your ability to track and post multiple links.

Okay, then, thanks John. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 2752390508 My 'secret', re: posting multiple links is, I just have different tabs or windows open to get the needed URLs. Re: keeping track, I guess I have a good memory, and find posts easily by title, which is why I'm a big fan of titling my posts.

Will have to wait to get home to see who your muse is, since youtube is blocked at school.

John Bumbledore wrote:P.S. Oh and another thing! I really came here to post that I finally finished vol.3 of the JKRowling website threads... So now I'll go update my post for "archive updates." (drat were did I put that link!) Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 3276373137
LOL, you're such a kidder! In case you're not kidding, the link to your 'archived' or 'reposted' threads updates is in the header of this thread, just past the halfway point of the post. Here's a [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 2752390508

LA, have a look [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] to see how I reworked your very cool red and back table in the Practice thread.
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  John Bumbledore Mon May 16, 2011 1:45 pm

Actually I meant [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] that you do include [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Oh, goodie. I was able to add an anchor name of "PostingUpdates" to your title post. lol Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 464751818

Code:
[url=http://hplf.forumotion.com/t44-efforts-to-archive-wx-threads#PostingUpdates][b]in your title post.[/b][/url]

Last edited by John Bumbledore on Wed May 18, 2011 2:07 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : I removed unnecessary [quote] as this is in reply to the immediately preceding post.)
John Bumbledore
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 Empty RE: Help, Please!

Post  Lady Arabella Mon May 16, 2011 1:49 pm

Thanks PAH! For some reason, I thought a carriage return was ignored, or created problems Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 1437562208

Off to practice some more . . .

Lady Arabella, aka The Bear of Very Little Brain
Lady Arabella
Lady Arabella
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  John Bumbledore Mon May 16, 2011 1:58 pm

Lady Arabella wrote:Thanks PAH! For some reason, I thought a carriage return was ignored, or created problems Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 1437562208

Off to practice some more . . .

Lady Arabella, aka The Bear of Very Little Brain
WX ignored single "enter" a.k.a. "carriage return" characters. on WX you needed two in a row to start a new paragraph but that also left a blank line between paragraphs. On WX we had to use <BR> instead of single "return" key/character.

Isn't this forum method better? Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 3845856932
John Bumbledore
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 Empty My link, your link... don't they go to the same place?

Post  Potteraholic Mon May 16, 2011 4:39 pm

John Bumbledore wrote:Actually I meant [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] that you do include [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Oh, goodie. I was able to add an anchor name of "PostingUpdates" to your title post. lol Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 464751818
Ummm... so aren't we, in fact, talking about the same place? I don't get it. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 1242326132. And adding the anchor name? Sure... the more info. the merrier, I guess. Very Happy

In any case, the links to everyone's updated posts are in the header, so I think I'll click on 'em and add some more √s to the tables now, before going home. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 2752390508

Edit: Done! cheers

LA, I fixed your practice table... have another look. Explanatory notes written there.
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 Empty The Bear of Very Little Brain

Post  Lady Arabella Mon May 16, 2011 5:14 pm

Thanks John, and thanks PAH!

The carriage returns worked, and the spacing finally worked out correctly.

I also learned how to do lists!

That's it for the day - The Bear of Very Little Brain has wiped out her remaining brain cells. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 1933885729
Lady Arabella
Lady Arabella
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 Empty What does and #AnchorName do at the end of a URL?

Post  John Bumbledore Wed May 18, 2011 11:05 am

Potteraholic wrote:
John Bumbledore wrote:Actually I meant [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] that you do include [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Ummm... so aren't we, in fact, talking about the same place? I don't get it. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 1242326132. And adding the anchor name? Sure... the more info. the merrier, I guess. Very Happy
PAH, not quite the same place. You linked to the "mall map kiosk" while I linked to my "store in the mall" (so to speak).

More detail if anyone wants to read it...
Spoiler:

For all, I'll paraphrase PAH's second question.

What is and anchor name and what does it do?

An HTML Anchor is the <A> tag (we most often use with the HREF—or Hyper-text REFerence—attribute for making links) and Name is another attribute you can use with an Anchor.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]First
Use <A Name="FirstExample"></A> in a post:
Name is like marking a auto-scroll stopping point at a heading, section or chapter division title. If the page the the URL links to is long it can be helpful to Name section titles or other groupings to enable a link to "jump" directly that point on the page. (Prevailing Internet design opinion: Scrolling is something we seek to minimize or eliminate.)

Second
Use the anchor in a link like [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]:

Also
Links are important, so when we make them we must keep in mind...
Wilkie Twycross wrote: the three D's: Destination, Determination, and Deliberation.
Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 1003735042
PAH has been a very good example of this.

Compare the results of these two links:
  Top     [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  
  Update Link List     [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  

One additional note is that "anchor names" must be unique for the page on which they are used. So if one were to name each WX post you would not want to use the member name of the posts as anchor names since a single member may have many such posts on a single page.

You can read more about the Anchor tag and it's attributes [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].
John Bumbledore
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 Empty Long posts...

Post  Potteraholic Wed May 18, 2011 11:49 am

John Bumbledore wrote:(from John's spoiler box)Your link hplf.forumotion.com/t44-efforts-to-archive-wx-threads is to your topic header post with directions to find "the list of links" to each of our update posts in that long (Prevailing Internet opinion: Anything that is more than four inches tall —typical screen height— is long) post.
So, according to "Prevailing Internet opinion", even with your spoiler box unopened, I guess the previous post could be considered long, too? Or does it make it under 4 inches? (Just checkin'.) Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 1003735042

Hmmm... what could I delete from the header post to make it shorter? Maybe the description of the suggested guidelines on how to repost archived threads? Why bother having that in the header post, where it's easy to find, when I can just have archivists scroll through the posts on the first page to find it that way? Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 2775603007 No, wait... I'll make a link. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 464751818 It'll still be a long header post, but it won't be AS long. So that's something. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 2222139670

EDIT: Done! Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 2752390508
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 Empty Guilty as charged.

Post  John Bumbledore Wed May 18, 2011 1:41 pm

Yes, I often do make long post even by non-Internet standards of opinion. My dear brother once asked me, "John, but does this train of thought have a caboose?"

Leave or change it as you feel is best. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 2752390508

Also remember that our longest posts are quite short compared with Jo's later novels in the HP series. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 464751818
John Bumbledore
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Elanor Wed May 18, 2011 3:33 pm

Thanks for the explanations John! Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 2222139670 This is what I supposed it might mean (by "it" I mean the different parts of the URL), thanks for making thinks clearer! I must admit you lost me with the "anchor names" (how they work) but I now understand what they do so that's good enough for me! Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 1003735042

I've reposted 4 more threads today but haven't updated my list of reposted threads yet. I don't have that many threads left in the "Opinions" folder to repost so I'll wait until the remaining threads are reposted before updating my list. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 2222139670

Strengthening Charms to all the archivists! Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 2752390508

Edit: That's funny! I edited my post to correct a typo and when I hit "send" I saw it created another post in which the content of the post I wanted to edit was appearing in a "quote" format (that I never put in it). Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 1242326132 I deleted that second post.
Elanor
Elanor
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 Empty What to do with "Farewell World Crossing?" Lock as an Archive or Leave it open for more comments?

Post  John Bumbledore Wed May 18, 2011 11:37 pm

I have re-posted all 41 posts that I was able to archive of the WX thread.

It is currently located in the following path...
    HPLF WX Forum :: Archived WX Threads :: Current Discussions Between Members

I grouped in by 5 posts per reply with six in the final reply. I have locked it but it can be unlocked if anyone who didn't get to do so still wants to add a Farewell.

(Note: I also posted this to the "Questions for the Staff (Technical Questions, Issues and Suggestions)" topic.)
John Bumbledore
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 Empty Farewell WX Crossing Q

Post  Potteraholic Fri May 20, 2011 4:15 pm

Good question, John. Wonder what Denise and others think?

I thought I'd give you a head's up, John, about 'Wold' appearing in 2 header posts rather than 'World": [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

EDIT: Mona, I see you started reposting the Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 858139975 thread today, starting with Volume I. That's A LOT of posts, over many volumes. ***strengthening charms***
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 Empty Speaking of long posts...

Post  Potteraholic Sat May 21, 2011 9:36 am

I am working on reformatting and reposting 2 more sets of 50 riddles today (100 posts in all). Speaking of long posts, some of the explanations of those riddles, with all the hints and clues, take more than 3 pages in a Word document! For one riddle!! And that's with size 12 font and 1/2 inch margins!!! I am trying to make reading these explanation a bit more user-friendly by bolding words. It makes the whole process rather time-consuming, and literally puts me to Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 642620432 sometimes. I'm currently in the year 2007 (2006 was a particularly verbose year), and I'm really hoping that the years 2008 to 2011 have considerably more pithy riddle explanations, since after the 100 I plan on posing today, there will be 265 more to reformat. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 793915934

I need to break up the monotony of the riddles with some Five Words archiving, methinks. That will be much more fun. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 2752390508

Also, just a reminder, if you have finished reposting at least 5 threads, please post another update. I would prefer not to have more than 10 threads to update in any given update... it will be easier for me to add the √s quicker... smaller bites are easier to deal with, than large, unwieldy ones. Thanks! Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 8 2752390508
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 19 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13 ... 19  Next