HPLF WX Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Efforts to Archive WX Threads

+9
Thom Matheson
Verity Weasley
Madam Pince
Mona
John Bumbledore
Elanor
Lady Arabella
Julia H.
Potteraholic
13 posters

Page 9 of 19 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 19  Next

Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 9 Empty Updated list of reposted threads

Post  Elanor Sat May 21, 2011 11:17 am

PaH, I have just updated my list of reposted threads! There are however 12 new threads listed, sorry! I had not read your post before doing it. I actually thought it would be easier for you because these 12 threads are all of my saved threads in the "Predictions" folder. For the next threads I'll update sooner! Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 9 2752390508

Strengthening Charms for the formatting/reposting everybody! Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 9 2222139670
Elanor
Elanor
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 9 Empty A virtual pat on the back...

Post  Potteraholic Sat May 21, 2011 11:29 am

Hi Elanor! Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 9 2752390508 And no, worries... your reason was a great one to update them all at once. I was just worried that I'd see an update with 20 or so threads listed in it. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 9 793915934

Elanor wrote:Strengthening Charms for the formatting/reposting everybody! Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 9 2222139670
cheers Hear, hear! cheers And I thought it was high time that someone tooted our horn over on the Chat thread, so I took it upon myself to do just that. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 9 464751818 I think the majority of the folks who post in this Forum have no idea what we're doing here, and if they do, they hardly make any mention of it anywhere, hence my post [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. Nice and subtle, huh? Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 9 1003735042

EDIT: For anyone who needs a 'virtual' pat-on-the-back, you'll find this table in the header post. which I'll, hopefully, be able to add to as the weeks go by. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 9 2752390508

... when you need some reposting ***strengthening charms***

'virtual' pats-on-the-back from:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
  Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 9 2222139670  

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 9 Empty Re: Efforts to Archive WX Threads

Post  Mona Sun May 22, 2011 12:25 am

Thanks for the strengthening charms, and sending some to you all. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 9 2045820042

And PAH, thanks for the link to all the virtual pats on the back! bounce

EDIT: Mona, I see you started reposting the Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 9 858139975 thread today, starting with Volume I. That's A LOT of posts, over many volumes. ***strengthening charms***

I don't think it's more work than your riddles, PAH. Formatting them is most of the work. Another pain is the constant scrolling up and down to check for mistakes, or get back to the Edit button. I'm sure all of you'll know what I mean! Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 9 4225235429
Mona
Mona
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 9 Empty Funny, I've corrected that same error before. How does it keep comming back?

Post  John Bumbledore Mon May 23, 2011 10:25 am

Potteraholic wrote:I thought I'd give you a head's up, John, about 'Wold' appearing in 2 header posts rather than 'World": [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].
Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 9 262381063 that same typo keeps popping up. I know I've corrected it before and I had checked all my other reposted thread archives. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 9 2398211921 Thank you for spotting it and letting me know.
John Bumbledore
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

http://HPLF-work.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Lady Arabella Mon May 23, 2011 11:51 am

Wow, Mona! You are really cruising at top speed getting the Snape threads posted. I am impressed! And Elanor and John and PAH - also Wows!

John, I have a question about your Markup Template - which is really helpful! Thank you for sending it to me. However, it seems to password protected. I can paste text into the appropriate cell, but when I try to delete it, I get a message saying the spreadsheet is read-only, and asks for a password to allow changes. (?) Am I doing something wrong?

Lady Arabella
Lady Arabella
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 9 Empty Almost 10% done!

Post  Potteraholic Mon May 23, 2011 6:13 pm

Hi folks! Just did some adding and found that out of approx. 611 WX threads that were archived (John and Elanor... how incorrect is that 611? I just went cross-eyed adding all the items in the 5 tables in the other thread Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 9 793915934), 53 have been reposted all together! cheers Great start, folks! I've just posted a similar update in the Chat thread. I have no qualms about tooting our horn over there, amongst all the other good news that's shared. I think you folks are all too modest to draw any attention to yourselves re: your archiving efforts, so, please, allow me to do it. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 9 2222139670 It is my pleasure!

Continued patience, fast internet service, and strong backs to you as you continue to repost.

John, that is curious how that problem crops up again, even after you corrected. I'll continue to check the headers of other threads as they appear to see if it happens again.

Mona, WOW, nearly 2 volumes of the Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 9 858139975 Chronicles are done. It's curious how the first Volume has only 644 posts, while all the others have almost 3,000 each. I wonder if folks went on a deleting binge, like if the discussion on the thread got heated? Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 9 1242326132

While I really like all the extra options that are available in this forum, forumotion, the one thing I really don't like is that thin, yet very noticeable, line of black scrawl that appears when you make an edit to your post after some days. I preferred WX's system, when 'Edited by' and a date and time appeared under the poster's name. Much more visually appealing. Alas, earwax! One can't have everything! Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 9 464751818
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Mona Wed May 25, 2011 6:58 am

Thanks, LA and PAH! I've finished Vol. 2 and started on Vol.3. I'm enjoying this part of it - there's a certain satisfaction in watching the posts appearing on the page all Bolded and Beautiful everytime you click the Send button. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 9 266347159

I see you've been busy with the archiving too. I looked in to the Riddle Archives yesterday, and was very impressed with the way you've done it. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 9 2942856553

I too was surprised that there were only 644 posts on the first Snape thread. Surely more than 2000 posts couldn't have been deleted (or Kipendoed)? Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 9 1242326132
I preferred WX's system, when 'Edited by' and a date and time appeared under the poster's name. ~ PAH
On the other hand, on WX we could only edit for half an hour after posting. Here we can edit whaenever we want - though as Mods I guess we can do that anyway. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 9 3845856932
Mona
Mona
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 9 Empty Updated list of reposted threads

Post  Elanor Wed May 25, 2011 8:49 am

I have edited my list of reposted threads to include the seven threads I have just finished reposting (after all, isn't seven the most powerfully magical number? Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 9 1003735042)

PaH:
John and Elanor... how incorrect is that 611?
I don't have the numbers at ahnd but from memory I'd say that's quite an accurate number. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 9 2222139670

I wish I could have done more reposting work today but things have been quite hectic for me this week with the national testing of the 2nd graders (tons of extra work for nothing I didn't know already about the students' work) and I spent this morning filling with my tax form (and pulling my hair doing so, wish I could use a nice toenail-growing hex or something just as charming on the one who designed the form Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 9 3181402168 ). So that's all from me for today but the weekend should be quieter.

Strengthening Charm to all the archivists! Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 9 2222139670
Audrey
Elanor
Elanor
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 9 Empty Re: the HP Riddles Archive... thanks, Mona!

Post  Potteraholic Wed May 25, 2011 12:18 pm

Mona wrote:I see you've been busy with the archiving too. I looked in to the Riddle Archives yesterday, and was very impressed with the way you've done it. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 9 2942856553

Much appreciated, Mona. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 9 2222139670

While clicking my HP Riddles index link yesterday, to get back to the header post, I found that it was going to the wrong place!

That's because I copied the index link for the Trivia Quizzes:

and changed the colors and text to make the HP Riddles Archive link, but forgot to change the actual post it was supposed to go to: Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 9 793915934Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 9 3906177977Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 9 1242194059

So now, I have to go and manually change all the incorrect links to the correct ones, post by post, and get that darn editing message imprinted on what heretofore had been previously unblemished posts. Ugh... And I only caught that mistake after reposting 250 riddles! Ugh, ugh... I'm at page 10 done with page 12 with the corrections, with 8 6 more to go, 15 posts per page. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 9 3276373137 EDIT: PHEW... DONE! bounce Now back to reformatting the other 200 something riddles. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 9 793915934

With the remaining 250 or so riddles left to repost, including the Potty HQ riddles, I'm bound and determined to make sure those riddles get reposted perfectly, without the edit message imprint. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 9 2752390508 *fingers crossed*

Thanks, Elanor! Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 9 2752390508 My, but your plate seems overloaded these days. Hope you can get some rest over the weekend.

Last edited by Potteraholic on Wed May 25, 2011 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 9 Empty If you've reposted any complete threads lately...

Post  Potteraholic Wed May 25, 2011 4:27 pm

Hi LA!

I see that you've been reposting today, and know that you reposted some threads last week, too. Would you do me a favor? Could you post an update, like the ones Elanor, John, and Mona have posted? That way, I won't have to scroll through all the Archived WX folders to see which threads you've reposted so I can update all applicable tables with a sprinkling of
s. Thanks! Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 9 2752390508

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 9 Empty Lady Arabella's Re-posted Threads

Post  Lady Arabella Fri May 27, 2011 6:03 pm

So far, the following threads are re-posted and complete except for an index:

√ = updated on table

Update #1 May 27, 2011
Theories - Chess: Reflection or Projection? √
Theories - Lily, Severus and Albus √
Theories - Dark Wizard Grindelwald and the HP Story √
Theories - Dumbledore's Death - What Really Happened? √
Theories - The Forest Conversation: What Did Dumbledore Ask Snape To Do? √
Archived Condensed Threads - Is Poor Snuffles Going To Get Zapped? (posted to Theories) √
Archived Condensed Threads - D.I.G.S - Dumbledore is the Giant Squid! (posted to Theories) √
Discussion Between Members - Remembering timrew √

Update #2 June 1st, 2011
Theories - The Unbreakable Vow - And Why Snape Took It √
Theories - Goodbye to All That √
Theories - He Has His Mother's Eyes √
Theories - Harry's Blood and Harmony √
Theories - Long Theory About Harry's Family √

Update #3 June 18th, 2011
Theories - Severus and the Evans Sisters √
Theories - Voldemort's Army √
Condensed Archived Threads (?) - Killy Harry/Sparing Lily, re-posted to Theories. √

Update #4 June 26th, 2011
Theories - Malfoy's Task and The Vow √
Magical Places - The Cave √
Magical Places - Shack on the Large Rock Way Out to Sea √
Magical Places - Durmstrang √

Update #5 July 18th, 2011
Magical Places - Azkaban Prison √
Magical Places - Godric's Hollow √
Magical Places - Number 12 Grimmauld Place √
Magical Places - Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry √ (7/24)
Administration - Lexicon Forum Tops Bloomsbury's Web Site's Forum List (We don't currently have an "Administration" folder, so I put it in "Harry Potter Related News" √ (7/24)
Administration - Copyright Simply Explained (see note above) √ (7/24)
Current Discussions Among Members - Pennsylvania Forum Gathering 2004 √ (7/24)

** I need to go back and create the indices for what I've re-posted before I re-post anything else, so will work on that for the rest of the week.

Last edited by Potteraholic on Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:29 pm; edited 14 times in total (Reason for editing : to add √s to show that thread status had been updated in archived/reposted threads tables ~PAH)
Lady Arabella
Lady Arabella
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 9 Empty Just over 11% reposted! YAY!!!

Post  Potteraholic Fri May 27, 2011 6:44 pm

Thanks for the update Lady A! Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 9 2752390508 Your 8 posts take us over 11%. WOO HOO!!! bounce

While updating the archived/reposted threads tables, I saw that some threads had been copied by 2 people. I can't remember who exactly, and my eyes are tired, so I'm taking a break. But folks should have a look and see where the repeats happen, and then communicate with each other so that the same thread is not reposted twice and so no one's time is wasted.

Okay, off to dinner! Have a great weekend, folks! Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 9 2752390508
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 9 Empty Threads copied by 2 people

Post  Mona Sat May 28, 2011 12:21 am

The following threads copied (and already reposted) by me were also copied by LA and Audrey, as I've mentioned back [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

I have figured out Cornelius Fudge's dirty little secret! (Archived Threads to Be Worked Group Folder)

Job Interview Questions (Opinions Group Section Folder)

Hermione Granger (Hogwarts Students During the HP Years)

Thanks for mentioning it, PAH. I'd completely forgotten. I think The Elder Wand (already reposted) may also have been copied by someone, but I'm not sure.

Mona
Mona
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 9 Empty Reposting update

Post  Elanor Sat May 28, 2011 3:08 am

Thanks Mona! Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 9 2222139670 I'm going to check my lists.

I have reposted seven more threads and updated my "reposting updates" post, and it's just 9 a.m. on Saturday. That is a good start of weekend methinks, isn't it? Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 9 1003735042 (They were short threads so it went fast really but it still feels good).

I'll repost more tomorrow!
Elanor
Elanor
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Mona Sat May 28, 2011 3:15 am

Good work, Audrey! cheers Enjoy your weekend!
Mona
Mona
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Elanor Sat May 28, 2011 12:30 pm

Thanks Mona! Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 9 2222139670

I actually found a tad bit more energy this afternoon and reposted seven more threads (and updated my list too). Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 9 2752390508
Elanor
Elanor
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 9 Empty Please review the Archived/Reposted Tables...

Post  Potteraholic Sat May 28, 2011 12:44 pm

I've just had a really good look over all the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and found quite a few duplicates. Can everyone have a look at the changes and see if they match your files? Thanks.

I originally counted 611 threads that were archived. Now that total is down to 579! So after I update the list with Elanor's reposted threads, we will be very close to 12% done! YAY!!!
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Elanor Sun May 29, 2011 1:54 am

I'll have a look at it PaH. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 9 2752390508

I've just reposted seven more threads! And updated my list too. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 9 2222139670
Elanor
Elanor
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 9 Empty Elanor's reposting update... now, just over 15% reposted!

Post  Potteraholic Sun May 29, 2011 6:26 am

Thanks. Elanor! You're all updated! Please check the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] of the Tables of Archived/Reposted Threads to make sure all the √s are in the right place? I hope I didn't miss one! Looks like you've got just 18 more threads in that section left. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 9 3845856932

Now just over 15% of the WX Archived threads have been reposted! bounce
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 9 Empty Lady A... take a look at your header intro.

Post  Potteraholic Mon May 30, 2011 3:47 am

Hi, Lady A. I noticed in the thread you recently reposted, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], that the intro. message has a typo: 'originally' is missing the 'y' at the end. I don't know if that same typo occurs in any other threads you reposted recently. I know typos are bound to happen and occur in all our posts from time to time, but I thought I'd mention this one, as you're probably going to copy and paste the same intro. message in future repostings.
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 9 Empty typo in header intro

Post  Lady Arabella Mon May 30, 2011 12:49 pm

Ooops! Thanks for the "heads up," PAH! I have gone back and fixed the typo. Fortunately - or unfortunately - I don't cut and paste the archival message, I just type it each time. Which means I don't carry forward old mistakes, I just create opportunities for new ones!! Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 9 2222139670

I've checked the other messages, they seem to be OK.
Lady Arabella
Lady Arabella
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 9 Empty Markup Template (An Excel spreadsheet with formulas to identify and markup post headers to bold member names).

Post  John Bumbledore Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:45 pm

Lady Arabella wrote:Wow, Mona! You are really cruising at top speed getting the Snape threads posted. I am impressed! And Elanor and John and PAH - also Wows!

John, I have a question about your Markup Template - which is really helpful! Thank you for sending it to me. However, it seems to password protected. I can paste text into the appropriate cell, but when I try to delete it, I get a message saying the spreadsheet is read-only, and asks for a password to allow changes. (?) Am I doing something wrong?
Ah, yes it is password protected. But the password is just 'password' (all in lower case). The only idea was to prevent deletion of the formulas.

By the way I have improved the formulas to help verify that it has correctly identified each post heading (and none extra).

John Bumbledore
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

http://HPLF-work.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Lady Arabella Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:21 pm

John, thanks for the password tip. Would you be willing to email me your new and improved version of the Markup Template? If so, my email is [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I need an opinion. In some of the "Theory" threads I've been reposting, a few people had some ideas that were right on the mark - it's almost spooky! I've been considering adding an "archival comment" by the index, stating that posts A,B,C, etc. were very prescient. Would that spoil things too much, or be instrusive? If so, I won't add the comment.
Lady Arabella
Lady Arabella
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 9 Empty Re: an "archival comment" by the index... prescient posts

Post  Potteraholic Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:54 pm

LA, you could always put these comments in a spoiler box, like this:

Archival comment - the following posts were very prescient: (Read at your own risk Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 9 464751818) [or something to that effect]
Spoiler:

JM2K Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 9 2752390508

EDIT: Here's the code, LA, should you need it:

Code:
[spoiler]Posts A, B, and C [b]OR[/b]

• A
• B
• C, etc.[/spoiler]

Last edited by Potteraholic on Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect