HPLF WX Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Life after HP: What other book or book series has been your favourite since HP has ended?

+13
azi
Hieronymus Graubart
Troels Forchhammer
Kay
Dryleaves
Viola
Saralinda
D.W.
Elanor
Julia H.
Steve Newton
Mona
Verity Weasley
17 posters

Go down

What other book or book series has been your favourite since HP has ended?

Life after HP: What other book or book series has been your favourite since HP has ended? Vote_lcap6%Life after HP: What other book or book series has been your favourite since HP has ended? Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 1 ]
Life after HP: What other book or book series has been your favourite since HP has ended? Vote_lcap6%Life after HP: What other book or book series has been your favourite since HP has ended? Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 1 ]
Life after HP: What other book or book series has been your favourite since HP has ended? Vote_lcap0%Life after HP: What other book or book series has been your favourite since HP has ended? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Life after HP: What other book or book series has been your favourite since HP has ended? Vote_lcap11%Life after HP: What other book or book series has been your favourite since HP has ended? Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 2 ]
Life after HP: What other book or book series has been your favourite since HP has ended? Vote_lcap0%Life after HP: What other book or book series has been your favourite since HP has ended? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
Life after HP: What other book or book series has been your favourite since HP has ended? Vote_lcap22%Life after HP: What other book or book series has been your favourite since HP has ended? Vote_rcap 22% 
[ 4 ]
[ 1 ]
Life after HP: What other book or book series has been your favourite since HP has ended? Vote_lcap49%Life after HP: What other book or book series has been your favourite since HP has ended? Vote_rcap 49% 
[ 9 ]

Total Votes : 18

Life after HP: What other book or book series has been your favourite since HP has ended? Empty Life after HP: What other book or book series has been your favourite since HP has ended?

Post  Verity Weasley Sun May 18, 2014 3:46 am

It's hard to read the question above, so for ease of reading I'll repeat it here.

What other book or book series has been your favourite since HP has ended?

Verity Weasley
Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Life after HP: What other book or book series has been your favourite since HP has ended? Empty Re: Life after HP: What other book or book series has been your favourite since HP has ended?

Post  Mona Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:38 am

I've been reading a lot and have many favourites. The last one I read was Sir Gawain and the Green Knight which was fantastic. But HP is one of a kind. I don't think I'll ever have the experience again of discussing a wonderful series of books with friends, waiting for two years for the next installment and so on.
Mona
Mona
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Life after HP: What other book or book series has been your favourite since HP has ended? Empty Re: Life after HP: What other book or book series has been your favourite since HP has ended?

Post  Steve Newton Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:58 am

No particular favorite but I have been reading a lot of young adult SF and dystopian series. Yes, Hunger Games and Divergent. Divergent was ponderously written. At least 100 pages could have been edited out of each book.

Steve Newton
Third Year
Third Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Julia H. Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:12 am

I, too, have read lots of wonderful books (though very few of the ones actually on the list) and I have also found many favourites. My latest obsession is A Song of Ice and Fire (the books, obviously, not the series based on them).
Julia H.
Julia H.
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Elanor Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:53 pm

Although I have liked The Alchemyst series and the new JKR books very much, I have voted for the Wheel of Time. It's an amazing series and I highly recommend it. Hours of great fun guaranteed!

14 books, none under 800 pages long, but it is so addictive that you will find them way too short. Well,
Spoiler:

Elanor
Elanor
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  D.W. Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:12 pm

Of the books on the list I voted for the Hunger Games. I have managed to read them through twice. I have also read Divergent but am waiting to read the following books in the series until after I can see the movie as I don't want to know what happens after until well...after!
I have read Percy Jackson and the author's other two series but have not liked them as much. I recently re-read The Giver and went on the read the next 3 in the series (I was unaware there was a series the first time I read it) and thoroughly enjoyed those. I also liked the Song of Ice and Fire series (book and TV shows) and the Outlander series (Yea new book soon). I could not get into the Nicholas Flamel books (read book one and stopped) but we have all 8 books so I can get back to that if I am desperate for a book.
D.W.
D.W.
Third Year
Third Year

Back to top Go down

Life after HP: What other book or book series has been your favourite since HP has ended? Empty Also a GRRM fan

Post  Saralinda Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:20 pm

Huge fan of "A Song of Ice and Fire." I also like the TV series, but it necessarily lacks the depth of the books.
Saralinda
Saralinda

Back to top Go down

Post  Viola Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:30 pm

I have read The Hunger Games, Divergent, and have been working on The Wheel of Time. I'm hopelessly stuck on Book 10. I can't seem to get past the prologue, plus I was having trouble remembering things from book to book.

I have been doing some "Classics" reading, too. Just finished Tess of the D'Ubervilles last night. Need to decide what to start tonight.
Viola
Viola
Second Year
Second Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Julia H. Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:35 pm

*** enthusiastically waves to Saralinda ***  Good to see you here!  Life after HP: What other book or book series has been your favourite since HP has ended? 2752390508
Julia H.
Julia H.
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Dryleaves Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:32 am

I have read a lot of books since HP, but no series, I think, and nothing I could ever compare to it. Right now, however, I am obsessing a bit over the late 18th century, reading the diary of Axel von Fersen, a Swedish nobleman, known for his relationship to Marie-Antoinette and for his gruesome death. Reading about the life of the Swedish and European nobility of that time sometimes feels a bit like entering Hogwarts for the first time. But I found a book that explains some of it to a Muggle like me.  Life after HP: What other book or book series has been your favourite since HP has ended? 2752390508 I also found that the Swedish National Archives has digitalised the diaries and the letters Axel von Fersen wrote to his father. Actually seeing letters that where written at a moment in history gives you quite a feeling. Unfortunately, they are all written in French, a language I haven't studied for twenty years. Life after HP: What other book or book series has been your favourite since HP has ended? 3906177977 Life after HP: What other book or book series has been your favourite since HP has ended? 2752390508 
Dryleaves
Dryleaves
First Year
First Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Kay Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:52 am

The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. I'm glad I didn't start reading those when the first one was published in 1982. It would have been a long wait for the last which just came out in 2012. Razz I read just about every other book King has written as well. A few favorites: The Stand, It, Bag of Bones, Needful Things and Duma Key. I am currently reading a lot of Dean Koontz. I've only read the first of the Odd Thomas series but it looks promising so far.
Kay
Kay
First Year
First Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Troels Forchhammer Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:08 pm

I don't work so much in series as in authors, and my favourite authors haven't changed all that much (except that J.K. Rowling, to be honest, fell somewhat down the list after I read DH). My all-time favourite author is still J.R.R. Tolkien (see e.g. parmarkenta.blogspot.com) followed by a group including (but not limited to), Pratchett, Asimov, Lindgren, Le Guin, McCaffrey (and a few Danish author as well).

Troels Forchhammer

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus Graubart Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:37 pm

A Casual Vcancy is the only book on the list that I actually read, and I intend to read The Cuckoo's Calling just because it is Rowling, but I voted The Hunger Games because, from what I have seen in the movies and read about the books, I expect that I will really like to read these books when I eventually find the time to do so.

Hieronymus Graubart
Second Year
Second Year

Back to top Go down

Post  azi Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:49 pm

I am also an author person and so have read a lot of Trudi Canavan and Garth Nix (two of my favourite authors) since HP. I have also discovered a love of steampunk - my favourite author is Gail Carriger (I await her books with impatience). Recently, I came across Chris Wooding's 'Tales of the Ketty Jay' series, which has been very additive so far. Still, none of the series I've read compare to HP for depth and analysis potential.
azi
azi
Fifth Year
Fifth Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Saralinda Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:30 pm

When it comes to fiction authors I follow, I've never met a Neal Stephenson I didn't like (well, didn't much care for Anathem, but I was in a low spot then. I may reread it). Also fond of Jeffery Deaver and Alexander McCall Smith.

Kitty
Saralinda
Saralinda

Back to top Go down

Post  Solitaire Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:08 pm

I enjoyed the Beautiful Creatures series, although I have not been able to watch the movie. Unsurprisingly, it seems to have little to do with the books I enjoyed so much, if what I've read in reviews is true. I also enjoyed the Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel books. I wasn't too thrilled with the final books in each series, though. Maybe winding down a series encompassing several books is just not as easy as we think.  rendeer
Solitaire
Solitaire
Seventh Year
Seventh Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Verity Weasley Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:17 pm

Kay, if you like Stephen King, I recommend you read Horns by Joe Hill. Joe is Stephen's son, although I didn't realise that until I got to the end of the book and looked him up. I admit, the book came to my attention because I heard that a movie of the book was being made, starring Daniel Radcliffe. But when I looked the book up on Amazon, the description was so intriguing that I decided to read it. Highly recommended.
Verity Weasley
Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Post  Kay Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:46 pm

Thanks Verity! I'll certainly look into it!
Kay
Kay
First Year
First Year

Back to top Go down

Life after HP: What other book or book series has been your favourite since HP has ended? Empty Off the Beaten Path....'Nuf Said!

Post  Kip Carter Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:12 am

Since the closing out of the Harry Potter books, I ventured away from series and into individual titles that reflect a wide variety of themes, such as Baroness of Hobcaw by Mary E. Miller, History of the Second World War by B. H. Liddell Hart, The Brothers by Stephen Kinzer, Sports Know It All by Andrew Postman & Larry Stone, Winning Every Day by Lou Holtz, just to name a few.

The first three above reflect on events in my life and why I became the man I am.  I was fortunate to become friends with Belle Baruch's father, Bernard M. Baruch.  I never met his daughter.  The date of my birth (10 May 1940) is considered to be the day that on which WWII began should explain my interest in the second book.  The Dulles brothers (John Foster as Secretary of State and Allen as Director of the CIA) shape the world during my formative years and their work created much of the ugly world with which we still have to deal.  So much for the serious side of my life.

The last two are light and enjoyable to read.  I should have been a sports statistician explains the fourth.  Lou Holtz is a very interesting man of many hats, especially that of a motivational speaker.  His vignettes are rewarding in more ways than you may realize, plus he was both an assistant coach and head coach of the South Carolina Gamecock football team.  I am very proud of all aspects of my University of South Carolina.

'Nuf said!  Life after HP: What other book or book series has been your favourite since HP has ended? 1437562208 
Kip Carter
Kip Carter
Supreme Mugwump
Supreme Mugwump

Back to top Go down

Life after HP: What other book or book series has been your favourite since HP has ended? Empty Favorite Series

Post  NickFlamel Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:57 pm

I liked the WOT (Wheel of Time), although, really SO MUCH BETTER for me that I didn't become involved with it until almost near the end of its run!!! lol

I have also enjoyed the Game of Thrones, but, alas, I got involved with that one much closer to the beginning.

Looking forward to the next installment of The All Souls Triology by Deborah Harkness.

-Nick(Flamel)

PS: Hi Solitaire! I too liked the Immortal Secrets of Nicholas Flamel (hmmmmm, lol) altho truly the last book was not as good as the first in the series. I think I will agree with you on the end of a series issue for writers.
Wink

Last edited by NickFlamel on Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot a series)

NickFlamel

Back to top Go down

Post  kowalla Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:02 pm

The Wheel of Time is soon on my list. Well, eventually, I guess. Mr Wonderful has read them, and highly recommended them to me, but we still haven't made it through HP yet. He has never read the books (*sigh*) so I'm reading them all aloud to him. It's taking MUCH longer than I anticipated. Of course, that's understandable with work/life schedules clashing so often. So far we are in the middle of OOTP. Just before Christmas. But once we get through these, he plans to read the Wheel of Time books aloud to me!!! Can't wait!
kowalla
kowalla

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down