HPLF WX Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DIGS! (Dumbledore is the Giant Squid)

Go down

DIGS! (Dumbledore is the Giant Squid) Empty DIGS! (Dumbledore is the Giant Squid)

Post  Lady Arabella Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:52 pm

-- Slytherin Prefect, I want evidence that Dumbledore is the Giant Squid (adapted)
Kip Carter - Dec 30, 2003 4:48 am Reply
Edited Jan 12, 2006 11:41 pm

I have not edited this thread yet; however I felt that it should be posted being that it is an integral part of our Forum. I will be editing it in the future. I have edited the title from "Slytherin Prefect, show me the evidence that Dumbledore is the Giant Squid" to a more manageable "Slytherin Prefect, I want evidence that Dumbledore is the Giant Squid (adapted)" - Kip

Slytherin Prefect, show me the evidence that Dumbledore is the Giant Squid
Peeves - Nov 2, 2002 1:16 pm
Edited by Kip Carter Nov 19, 2003 11:06 am
Out with it, Slytherin. I read on another thread that you thought there was a lot of evidence in the Goblet of Fire that Dumbledore is the giant squid. I like the idea. Where is this evidence? Show it to me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Slytherin Prefect - Nov 2, 2002 5:22 pm (#1 of 278)
Edited by Nov 2, 2002 5:24 pm
Okay, I never said that there was evidence proving that Dumbledore is the giant squid. All I said was that there was evidence in Goblet of Fire to show that the theory held water.

However, I will show a piece of the case.

Though the idea of Dumbledore as the giant squid began as nothing more than a joke ("That tears it - Dumbledore is an unregistered Animagus that can turn into a Giant Squid"), the question which began this entire line of inquiry as a serious question is this:

Why did the giant squid not show up during the second Triwizard task?

The giant squid is the biggest feature of the lake at Hogwarts, and yet he didn't show up during the second task. I found that a bit odd.

What do we know of the giant squid? We know that it's a benevolent creature, because he helped Dennis Creevey out of the lake when he fell in, instead of eating him like most of us wish he would have.

And yet, in the second task, Harry comes upon that painted mural of the merpeople chasing the giant squid away with spears. Why would they do that?

Dumbledore had to have learned Mermish somewhere. The language of a group of creatures who would harm with spears a creature as benevolent as the giant squid, and who keep to themselves at the bottom of the lake, would be a rather difficult one indeed.

I think the "bumblebee" learned Mermish as he was being chased around by Merpeople trying to swat him.

So, the whole Dumbledore/Giant Squid theory is my answer to the question of just where that squid was during the second task: He was on the surface judging the Triwizard Tournament.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Carina - Nov 2, 2002 9:00 pm (#2 of 278)
SP, I have loved this theory ever since you suggested it! I think it explains so much!

Hamuera - Nov 2, 2002 9:03 pm (#3 of 278)
Plus how else would a giant squid get into a lake????

Choco* - Nov 2, 2002 9:05 pm (#4 of 278)
Edited by Nov 2, 2002 9:13 pm
I also like this theory. If you think about it, the squid is a giant, powerful being hidden under the calm, unruffled surface of the lake. Likewise Dumbledore has great power hidden behind a mild exterior; his rage manifests only in times of great trouble, like in the end of GoF. I'm sure that the squid could do great damage if provoked; the same holds true for Dumbledore.

And, it seems like something Dumbledore would do - learn how to turn into a giant squid just because he could! He would get great vacation benefits: on hot summer days, he could laze around in a picaresque lake right in his own backyard. He could keep an eye on students at the same time, making sure they don't fall in the water.

NoVeil4Me - Nov 2, 2002 9:17 pm (#5 of 278)
I love the Dumbledore/Giant Squid theory. It does make sense and I can see Dumbledore getting a huge chuckle out of the deal.

Even if it is never proven, we have our own little underground "Dumbledore is the Squid" society right here Wink

Jami JoAnne Russell - Nov 2, 2002 9:20 pm (#6 of 278)
Thing is the squid could've been confined to another section of the lake during the challenge. I could see the squid as a pet of Dumbledore's. But a music lover like Dumbledore screams to me that he'd be a mocking bird.

Jimmy Bell - Nov 2, 2002 9:34 pm (#7 of 278)
Excuse me. Sorry to squash on everyone's theories, but I'm afraid the evidence is against you. Right after the Trio finish their exams, they see Fred and George tickling the tentacles of the giant squid. However, ten minutes later they are told that Dumbledore is on a journey to London. Therefore, since the squid and Dumbledore were in two different places, it would be impossible that they were the same person.

Carina - Nov 2, 2002 9:37 pm (#8 of 278)
Ah... a journey to London... Quite a clever ruse to take a relaxing swim undisturbed...

Carina - Nov 2, 2002 9:38 pm (#9 of 278)
Or possibly a quick dip before the trip?

NoVeil4Me - Nov 3, 2002 8:15 am (#10 of 278)
Edited by Nov 3, 2002 8:17 am
What a clever ruse! Tell people Dumbledore is in *London* rather than the giant squid in the lake. Mislead, redirection is the name of the game.

"Where is Prof Dumbledore?"

A. "He is on his way to London and should return shortly." B. "He really has a problem and was looking for the room with all the chamber pots in it" C. "He is the giant squid that the Weasley twins are playing with down at the lake."

Which answer is most plausible and people would accept as fact? JRK is one clever writer!

The squid being tickled and being told Dumbledore is on his way to London is not conclusive proof, we don't SEE Dumbledore leave for London, on the trip or anything...it is hearsay. I put forth he was being amused by the twins in the lake, not on his way to London.

Slytherin Prefect - Nov 3, 2002 8:49 am (#11 of 278)
I honestly think that Dumbledore went to London when he did "ten minutes ago" as McGonnigal stated.

However, I think it resonable to think that more than ten minutes passed since they saw Fred, George, and Lee playing with the squid.

The discussion in Hagrid's cabin could have easily taken ten minutes by itself.

I don't see as how this disproves the theory, but then again, I'm not 100 percent behind the theory myself, and I made it up! ^_^

Nine - Nov 3, 2002 9:03 am (#12 of 278)
Just to provoke an amusing explanation (the last one was very fun): in Book 4, Dumbledore was in the Great Hall just before the sorting, or Harry would have noticed otherwise. But Dennis was, at the time, being saved by the giant squid. Well?

Slytherin Prefect - Nov 3, 2002 9:32 am (#13 of 278)
I don't know why I keep coming back and defending this stupid theory...

Well, when Harry spots Dumbledore, two things are out of order:

1) His silver hair and beard were shining in the candlelight. This could easily suggest he had been wet recently.

2) He's resting his chin upon his hands, staring up at the ceiling. This is obviously because he just rescued Dennis Creevey and he's surpressing laughter while thinking "Oh, that boy is SO going to die at the hands of Voldemort in Book Five."

Choco* - Nov 3, 2002 10:55 am (#14 of 278)
Also, Nine, the First-Years have to wait in a chamber outside the doors for the Great Hall to get in order; meanwhile, they are told about Houses, etc. I think there would've been time for DD to save Creevey, get inside, and find his place while the Hall was still getting settled. (Not that I'm entirely sure I believe this, but why not? Let's give SP some backup for having funny ideas.)

Victoria Leery - Nov 3, 2002 12:33 pm (#15 of 278)
Here's an explaination for why Dumbledore was in the lake being tickled by the Weasley twins when he was supposed to be on his way to London:

The book doesn't say how Dumbledore was getting to London. We know that the Durmstrang students came to Hogwarts through the lake in GoF. So what if the lake is more than a lake? Maybe it's more like the end of a long underground river used for wizard transportation. Dumbledore was probably in the lake getting ready to swim to London.

Joa Pendragen - Nov 3, 2002 12:52 pm (#16 of 278)
That's cool thinking, Victoria

Highlander1592uk - Nov 3, 2002 1:48 pm (#17 of 278)
I'm just imagining a giant squid sufacing on the Thames :-) I wouldn't want to go swimming in there if I were Dumbledore - squid or no squid!

Jami JoAnne Russell - Nov 3, 2002 3:40 pm (#18 of 278)
It would explain how a squid - a salt water creature - was capable of living in a fresh water lake.

Katharine - Nov 4, 2002 1:31 pm (#19 of 278)
Even though I have absolutely no further "evidence" to add to this discussion, I just wanted to say that this is the greatest theory I have ever heard. Denise, I will support your "Dumbledore is the Squid" society 110 percent. SP, you are clearly the sharpest mind on the message board.

All hail Dumbledore, for he is the Squid,

Katharine

Nate Davis - Nov 5, 2002 2:43 pm (#20 of 278)
I agree with Katharine. I was actually going to write the same thing, but she already had!

Dumbledore IS the Squid!

CT Blink - Nov 5, 2002 4:41 pm (#21 of 278)
Prehaps he was swimming to london though an underground carven?

Slytherin Prefect - Nov 8, 2002 5:11 am (#22 of 278)
Edited by Nov 8, 2002 5:12 am
Here we go again. ^_^

I finally buy a copy of The Magical Worlds of Harry Potter, and lo and behold, what do I see?

Our little squid friend has a name.

Scientists call him architeuthis, and it can "grow up to 70 feet long. Its eyes, the largest of any animal, are well-suited for gathering what little light exists in the mile-deep waters of its home."

That SO sounds like Dumbledore. But here's the kicker...

"There is no sunlight at those depths, but certain creatures have chemicals in their bodies that glow."

When we see Dumbledore in Book 4 (after the Creevey kid has been rescued) Dumbledore's "sweeping hair and beard (were) shining in the candlelight."

I'll bet they were. ^_^

So, here's the likely scenario: Dumbledore, not expecting to have to rescue the stupid Creevey kid while enjoying a relaxing pre-sorting swim in the lake, has to rush back to his spot, accidentally not completely transfiguring back to normal, and parts of his body are still emitting that glowing chemical. He is obviously staring up at the ceiling as having it noticible that you've failed at a spell in a room of masterful spellcasters is something like farting in a room. Dumbledore is staring up not to draw any attention to himself, as if his hair and beard were supposed to glow like that.

And so, Squidgate '94 continues... ^_^

Melissa Love - Nov 9, 2002 6:54 pm (#23 of 278)
SP, I think you are so cool and hilarious!! I love your personality, and this theory is so hilarious! What's even better is that there IS evidence to support it! But, I have to ask: Dumbledore isn't registered in the MoM for being an animagus, even though he probably would be someone to not register. I'm not sure if he'd keep that secret from everyone, especially McGonagall, and she'd make him register. But, he might not register, who knows? Also, don't you supposedly transfigure into an animal liek yourself? (Sirius- dog star- turns into dog. Wormtail- rat. McGonagall-sly and clever like a cat.) Dumbledore means "bumblebee," where does giant squid come into play?

I hope this theory is true! I just wonder about these questions. Yay for Slytherin Prefect!

Choco* - Nov 9, 2002 6:56 pm (#24 of 278)
Who say's he not registered? Hermione never gave the names of the registered - maybe Dumbledore's name was on the list, but she failed to mention it.

W J - Nov 9, 2002 7:11 pm (#25 of 278)
Also, the list Hermione saw contained only the animagus who register THIS century (1900 to 1999) so maybe Dumbledore registered in the previous century since he is 150 years old. He could be a registered animagus and Hermione just didn't see a comprehensive list.

NoVeil4Me - Nov 9, 2002 7:12 pm (#26 of 278)
Edited by Nov 9, 2002 7:14 pm
Hermione only looked at those registered in the last century...perhaps Dumbledore registered before that given his age.

Stupendous - Nov 9, 2002 8:38 pm (#27 of 278)
Dumbledore could have a time turner. He could have been saving Creevey, and sitting in the hall at the same time. He could have been taking a swim and could be going to London at the same time.

Dav Corwenna - Nov 9, 2002 8:46 pm (#28 of 278)
Somehow, I can't see Dumbledore having a time-turner just for fun. He's just naturally shady, is all. I can definitely see him lurking about, going for illicit swims in the lake...

But what exactly does Dumbledore *do* during the day?

W J - Nov 9, 2002 8:47 pm (#29 of 278)
He's an alchemist?

Dav Corwenna - Nov 9, 2002 9:26 pm (#30 of 278)
But wasn't the main point of alchemy to make gold/ find the philosopher's stone? I mean, Hogwarts seems to pretty much run itself (more or less). Maybe he spends the entire day reading Muggle newspapers/Voldemort watching/ten-pin bowling. Still, that would be interesting to know.

W J - Nov 9, 2002 9:35 pm (#31 of 278)
Oh yes, maybe he has a bowling alley hidden in his office somewhere! I like that idea. He can bowl away the hours in between taking dips in the lake as the Giant Squid. Smile

Kytti - Nov 10, 2002 9:01 am (#32 of 278)
Maybe he ten-pin bowls AS the giant squid!

I love this theory!

NoVeil4Me - Nov 10, 2002 9:04 am (#33 of 278)
Wouldn't that give him an advantage, to bowl as the squid? I mean, look at the number of arms/tentacles...

Carina - Nov 10, 2002 10:53 am (#34 of 278)
With all of the other professors busy teahing during the day, his multiple arms could play against himself...

Okay, today it's my right arms against my left arms...

Professor McGonagall - Nov 13, 2002 7:52 am (#35 of 278)
Alright, Slytherin Prefect, I think I have an idea to disprove your theory. Here it is, if Dumbledore IS the giant squid, why would he have been in the lake when he should've been on his way to London. Now, I know people have come up with the lake is way to get to London faster, but I want to say that even if the lake WAS a way to get there, if he knew Harry was in trouble, why would he be in there swimming? Plus, he said he and the Owl (Harry told Hermione to send an Owl to Dumbledore to get help) must've crossed in midair, and he wasn't wet when he saw them. So, I feel bad for you, but unless you can point out my flaws, Dumbledore is NOT the squid.

Slytherin Prefect - Nov 13, 2002 12:04 pm (#36 of 278)
I really wish people would read what I said in the beginning. I NEVER said that Dumbledore was the Giant Squid. What I said was there is evidence to support that the theory HELD WATER.

I will never say that there is no way that Dumbledore is NOT the Giant Squid, unless JKR feels obliged to tell us.

However, your particular challenge has already been answered on this very thread. There is NOTHING in the book to show that the giant squid was in the lake when Dumbledore was off to London.

What it says in the book was HRH saw the giant squid in the lake playing with the twins. That's the only mention of the squid in this time frame. Sometime later we see the owl fly by, most likely the urgent message for Dumbledore. The owl reminds Harry of his own mail, which draws his attention to Hagrid. They then run to Hagrid's place, quite a ways across the grounds. They then have a rather lengthy discussion with Hagrid, run BACK across the grounds to the castle, during which nothing is ever mentioned of the squid.

Dumbledore had MORE than enough time between when they saw the squid in the lake, and McGonagall's "He left ten minutes ago."

The only real way to disprove the theory is to find a scene where both Dumbledore and the Giant Squid are mentioned. And don't bother looking, because it doesn't exist.

All we can do is wait until book 5.

quidditch queen! - Nov 16, 2002 2:33 pm (#37 of 278)
don't understand! how can dumbledoor be the squid?

Wendelin the Weird - Nov 16, 2002 2:44 pm (#38 of 278)
I love this theory, it's so funny! Especially the scene in GoF where Harry throws his last piece of toast into the lake and the Giant Squid sends up a tentacle to pull it down to him. Dumbledore eating a little breakfast?

Mermista - Nov 16, 2002 2:58 pm (#39 of 278)
Edited by Nov 16, 2002 2:58 pm
This is an adorable theory, but there's a problem at the beginning of GoF... In the Great Hall before the Sorting, Harry looks up at the staff table and sees only three people missing (Hagrid, McGonagall, and Moody). If Dumbledore was in the lake making sure little Dennis didn't drown as Hagrid and the other first years crossed the lake, how could he be sitting at the staff table at the same time?

UNLESS... What saved Dennis was not the giant squid at all, as Colin surmises, but rather your friendly neighbourhood merperson! ^_^ What do you say, SP; I'll back your theory if you back mine.

Nine - Nov 16, 2002 3:05 pm (#40 of 278)
Look closer, Mermista. I already posed that question. The answer was that it takes some time to bring the first years in, that Harry, Hermione, and Ron were delayed in the Great Hall (my sudden addition), and that Dumbledore had time to get there, but not necessarily completely resume normal form (which explains the shining hair).

Lady Arabella
Lady Arabella
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

DIGS! (Dumbledore is the Giant Squid) Empty Re: DIGS! (Dumbledore is the Giant Squid)

Post  Lady Arabella Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:31 pm

Jami JoAnne Russell - Nov 16, 2002 3:06 pm (#41 of 278)
Hey, this is a world of MAGIC, right? That means that the "Dumbledore" Harry saw wasn't Dumbledore at all! He was a projection of Dumbledore until the real one slipped in. That's why he was shining. Because the aura of the projection. Or perhaps Dumbledore temporarily transfigured Fawkes into him!

Mermista - Nov 16, 2002 3:28 pm (#42 of 278)
Thanks for the attention to detail, Nine, but I was really just playing around to introduce my own silly, biased theory. Nice to know some people are willing defend Colin Creevey's say-so though. If anyone needs some love around this forum, I think it's him. ^_^

P.S. Where did you get your screen name, if I may ask? "Nine" is a nickname I have in another venue, and it's rather strange to address someone else with "my" name.

Dragoness of Ill Faith - Nov 16, 2002 7:56 pm (#43 of 278)
You know what *would* be funny? If tomorrow we get a post from JKR saying "I couldn't help but notice this theory roaming on the Lexicon forum that Dumbledore is actually the Giant Squid. SP... who told you??" Wink

Professor McGonagall - Nov 27, 2002 7:51 am (#44 of 278)
Edited by Nov 27, 2002 7:52 am
Go Slytherin Prefect! Okay, I know I kinda wanted to disprove your theory, but the more I read, the more it makes sense! Heck, the guy thinks it's funny to eat vomit and earwax flavoured beans (eww, I hope he used mouthwash!) But, it would be pretty fuuny. Keep it up Slytherin! (Oh, thanks again for the CoS joke "I didn't mean to leave the door ajar...")

Ravenclaw Chaser - Nov 27, 2002 11:51 am (#45 of 278)
Slytherin Prefect, I have said it time and time again, but it's worth reapeating: Do you know how gosh dang funny you are?

I like the Dumbledore as Giant Squid Theory. I'm not sure how it will stand the test of time, but it is funny to think about. A few posts up, someone said something about Dumbledore taking a dip before going to London, and I thought of the part in GoF when Harry is thinking about where Dumbledore goes during the summer holidays. It's interesting to think about Dumbledore staying at Hogwarts as the giant squid. Like I said, I'm not sure how it will stand the test of time, but it's pretty hilarious.

PS: I saw the CoS joke too. I just have to say: thanks

CT Blink - Nov 27, 2002 12:02 pm (#46 of 278)
he's a headmaster. he does evil headmaster things, pulling kids out of class cause they do innocent pranks. not that i had anything to do with. sides, the office looked better filled with balloons.

DD is the gaint squid. there are just to maybe clues pointing in that direction.

Nine - Nov 27, 2002 1:36 pm (#47 of 278)
Edited by Nov 27, 2002 1:37 pm
Mermista, I didn't realize that you used the name "Nine". I just came up with it at random when I needed a screen name here. It's not really relevant to anything. Except (and this I figured out afterwards) to the Fellowship of the Ring.

And I wasn't exactly trying to defend Colin's word. I think Dennis actually mentioned a tentacle-like thing pushing him out of the lake.

Serpent Goddess - Nov 29, 2002 9:50 am (#48 of 278)
I love the idea of Dumbledore being the giant squid, but I do have one small issue with it (and it is small.) You say that the reason Hermione might not know about Dumbledore being a squid is because she only read the list for the last century, and Dumbledore, being 150 years old, could have done it prior to that. However, it is never said that Hermione didn't read the ones for the previous century, she just says that there have only been 7 in the last century. She may well have read the previous ones, and chose only to mention those in the last century since Peter Pettigrew, Sirius Black, and James Potter are obviously not over 100-years old. I know this isn't the greatest arguement in the world, but I wanted to bring it up in hopes that someone could shoot it down. I really want to believe Dumbledore IS the giant squid.

Lindsay - Dec 1, 2002 6:19 pm (#49 of 278)
Dumbledore has to be the Giant Squid. Too many hints.. and even if he's not, it's fun thinking he is.

kimiraikkonen - Dec 2, 2002 6:44 am (#50 of 278)
I'll join the DIGS Club... Dumbledore Is the Giant Squid. If it is wrong, we can just all say it was a totally crazy idea no one was serious about. And if it is right, SP can be acknowledged by the world as a truly amazing person. We'll back you up.

dumblydore - Dec 2, 2002 1:07 pm (#51 of 278)
I was going to post my thoughts about dumbledore being the giant squid. an animal that lives a very long time might be his way of prolonging his own life. then I had a thought about hagrid. who loves magical creatures more than him? who would want to turn into an animal more than hagrid? he could have botched his own animagus transformation to become a dragon and turned into a squid instead. it is a GIANT squid, afterall, isn't it?

Kathy Lynch - Dec 2, 2002 2:49 pm (#52 of 278)
Edited by Dec 2, 2002 2:49 pm
Dumblydore, that is the coolest picture EVER!

Mermista - Dec 2, 2002 3:01 pm (#53 of 278)
Edited by Dec 2, 2002 3:02 pm
Well, of course you couldn't have realized it, Nine. I was just curious.

And Dennis doesn't say anything about a tentacle. The exact conversation is--

"Colin, I fell in!" he said shrilly, throwing himself into an empty seat. "It was brilliant! And something in the water grabbed me and pushed me back in the boat!" "Cool!" said Colin, just as excitedly. "It was probably the giant squid, Dennis!" "Wow!" said Dennis, as though nobody in their wildest dreams could hope for more than being thrown into a storm-tossed, fathoms-deep lake, and pushed out of it again by a giant sea monster.

Now perhaps it's just wishful thinking, but I believe a merperson is better equipped to grab someone and push them back into a boat than a squid. Which isn't to say that the Dumbly-squid isn't remarkably dextrous in its own right, just that the act of being snatched and hoisted by a giant squid might tend to sting just a bit, what with the suckers the size of teacups and all. (And, not that it matters much, but merpeople also have better literary precedent for marine rescues: mermaids sometimes save storm-tossed sailors, while giant squids tend to attack submarines.) Plus, it just seems very JKR to throw that tiny bit of foreshadowing in where we're least likely to notice it. ^_^ My personal theory is that Dumbledore changed into his squid form earlier in the evening (after the storm blew up, but well before the feast) to ask the merpeople to keep an eye out for any first years falling overboard during the annual crossing of the lake, but he himself did not save Dennis from a watery grave.

Nine - Dec 2, 2002 6:13 pm (#54 of 278)
I actually was rereading book 4 and discovered that after I posted, Mermista. But I like your latest version. And we still can explain it if it was Dumbledore out there in the lake instead of the merpeople.

Lamb - Dec 2, 2002 7:20 pm (#55 of 278)
JKR leaves very subtle clues in the books as to what is really going on, and I think I've found one to back up SP's theory. In SS, when Hagrid takes Harry up to London to buy his supplies from Diagon Alley, we are told that Hagrid gave Harry the notes to pay the train fare, as Hagrid didn't understand muggle money. This isn't surprising, because money is often given slang names; for example, a pound sterling is called a quid.

Now, Hagrid must have got the money from somewhere- and since Dumbledore sent him, obviously he got it from Dumbledore. So Dumbledore was really responsible for Harry receiving the giant's quid.

W J - Dec 2, 2002 9:17 pm (#56 of 278)
Oh, Lamb.....that was...really....oh, Lamb....

Mermista - Dec 2, 2002 9:30 pm (#57 of 278)
Lamb, that was a thing of beauty. I doff my silly conical witch's hat in your direction.

kheshire - Dec 2, 2002 10:35 pm (#58 of 278)
Lamb -- oh my... did you ever read the Xanth books? Piers Anthony would be proud. Smile

Fish Tank - Dec 2, 2002 10:52 pm (#59 of 278)
yay three cheers for Lamb huraaaa huraaaa huraaaa

dumblydore - Dec 3, 2002 1:50 pm (#60 of 278)
Thanks kathy.

Daniel Tern - Dec 3, 2002 3:42 pm (#61 of 278)
While I do like the Dumbledore is the Giant Squid idea, I think Lamb's "quid" is a bit reaching. Beyond the fact that it would be completely lost on American readers, it seems a bit to obscure for JKR to pull out without the concept flying strait over the heads of most readers. I would like to mention something in support of the Squid theory. Thusfar all Animagi hav had distinguishing marks like their human counterparts, even if it is jut clothing the human wears. Both Rita Skeeter and Minerva McGonogal (my apologies if I spelled the names wrong) have markings on their animal forms like their glasses, and Wormtail's nose is said to be like a rat's. Not sure about Padfoot, but I think the book's mentioned something... Anyway, I noticed (with the help of Dumblydore's icon) that Dumbledore does look like a squid. The pointed hat (like a squids head), flowing robes and beard (like a squids tentacles), even his mystic is like that of the squid. Almost all fear it and even its predators are wary. Yes, SP, the teory does hold water, though I doubt it will pan out because it serves the storyline no purpose. But I suppose I would have said the same thing had someone mentioned the possibility that Scabbers was some creepy little man after SS/PS had come out.

Choco* - Dec 3, 2002 4:58 pm (#62 of 278)
Wow, Lamb. That was great! ^_^

Daniel Tern - Dec 4, 2002 1:19 pm (#63 of 278)
You know, it was Dumbledore's quid then, not the giant's, though that is clever.

Eve Polich - Dec 11, 2002 4:37 pm (#64 of 278)
This is such a cool theory! There is pretty good evidence- though it reminds me of the Paul Is Dead theory. You guys could connect HP w/ anything!

Rock on you crazed fanaticks! and count me in on the squid theory, I LOVE IT!

Eve Polich - Dec 11, 2002 4:40 pm (#65 of 278)
rock on you crazed fanatics!

Istari Jone - Dec 11, 2002 5:42 pm (#66 of 278)
But how practical would it be for Dumbledore to be a squid? He would only be able to use that guise under water. It would be totally a worthless form on land. He would even be stuck in the lake unless the lake had access to other bodies of water (unless he when to the ocean and then transformed...).

Sehvekah - Dec 11, 2002 7:59 pm (#67 of 278)
Edited by Dec 11, 2002 7:59 pm
It's safe to assume the lake does have access to other bodies of water(rember the Durmstrang ship?). And why be pratical when you can be unique!

This does bring to mind an important question though. Is it possible for a powerfull wizard to be an animagus with multiple forms? I mean, if there's a wizard that could do it, it'd be Dumbledore...

Carina - Dec 11, 2002 8:02 pm (#68 of 278)
ooh! Like a bumblebee AS WELL? He could be a giant FLYING squid!

Nate Davis - Dec 11, 2002 9:10 pm (#69 of 278)
Maybe Dumbledore can't help being the giant squid. Imagine this: After a horrible accident in his youth, he became A WERE-SQUID!

kheshire - Dec 12, 2002 12:43 am (#70 of 278)
LOL, I love it! I want book six to be "Harry Potter and the Giant Were-Squid" Smile!

Meiko Suki - Dec 13, 2002 7:09 pm (#71 of 278)
nah, I just said "giant squid"because I think that...um...no, never mind, forget it I just said it because I was bored, I guess...or maybe I was tired...

Diagon Nilly - Dec 15, 2002 12:13 am (#72 of 278)
SP and Denise, you both crack me up! Thanks for the laughs! Smile

Although, this all leads to the unfortunate mess of what to do with all the calamari should JK kill off Dumbledore.

Carina - Dec 15, 2002 4:38 pm (#73 of 278)
mmmm... fried with cocktail sauce Smile

Mermista - Dec 15, 2002 9:27 pm (#74 of 278)
Edited by Dec 15, 2002 9:27 pm
I'd prefer mine with a nice marinara! Magically delicious! ^_~

Nate Davis - Dec 17, 2002 10:16 pm (#75 of 278)
I like Sehvekah's idea about animagi taking multiple forms. I don't see why it wouldn't be possible. I wonder if this will be an issue in future books? (probably not - it seems like there have been quite a few animagi in the books, but with JKR, anything is possible...)

Denise S. - Dec 18, 2002 9:50 am (#76 of 278)
I don't think a wizard would be able to be multiple animals, even (*gasp*) Dumbledore. I mean, obviously it's very difficult to figure out how to be just *one* animal. And I think it was mentioned somewhere, either here or by some JKR source, that you don't have control over what kind of animal you turn into.

Slytherin Prefect - Dec 19, 2002 1:55 pm (#77 of 278)
I wouldn't say that, necessarily. I put Dumbledore in a league by himself as far as magical ability and power is concerned. I mean, how often do we Dumbledore using his wand to cast spells? The big part of the animagus spell is that it's done without a wand, so if anyone could do it, it'd be Dumbledore.

Consider DD the Goku of the HP world. ^_^

Kiloth of Drago - Dec 19, 2002 11:26 pm (#78 of 278)
That is the first DBZ reference i've ever seen in this forum.

And to make a point, Goku can't do it all. He has to die first and then come back before it is possible.

Denise S. - Jan 2, 2003 10:38 am (#79 of 278)
This is a *tad* off topic, but I haven't been here since Dec. 18, and as I was going down the column of threads, you have no idea how scared I was that this thread had been deleted! *whew*

glad the auto-deletion isn't on* Smile

Wendelin the Weird - Jan 11, 2003 1:50 pm (#80 of 278)
Yeah, me too... I've been off in Hogwarts School Rpg land and haven't checked for a long time! Mandy and I made a joke about your "Dumbledore is the Giant Squid" Theory and I thought I'd better make sure the thread still existed. Yea! This one will outlive tham all... hee, hee.

By the way, I miss all of you! I'm going to make it a point to get back here more often!

Elizabeth Smit - Jan 18, 2003 6:18 pm (#81 of 278)
This whole thing makes sense. But one more thing to add. Dumbledore probably wouldn't by listed as a anamagus. If know one knew, and Dumbledore's always had enemies (first Grindewald, then Voldemort) and what better a way than to hide in a big lake as a giant squid that must be very powerful even like that. I mean..how many people know how to kill a giant squid?

Brandon Pennington - Jan 19, 2003 1:01 pm (#82 of 278)
Edited by Jan 19, 2003 1:02 pm
Slytherin Prefect I dont have any prove to back you up just yet, but I believe in the Giant Squid theory. But one thing I think is amazing is that this thread was started to disprove of the Giant Squid but ended up promoting the Squid. Smile

Elizabeth Smith - Jan 19, 2003 2:09 pm (#83 of 278)
lol, a big bunch of quid lovers we are! Wink

Carina - Feb 15, 2003 7:07 pm (#84 of 278)
Edited by Feb 15, 2003 7:13 pm
It has come to my attention that there are SOME PEOPLE here who do not understand how Dumbledore could be the Giant Squid. I think it is HIGH TIME that these nay-sayers look at the evidence at hand. Until I read canon stating otherwise, I will proclaim from the top of the highest computer terminal:

ALL HAIL DUMBLEDORE, FOR HE IS THE GIANT SQUID!

anbigin - Feb 15, 2003 9:15 pm (#85 of 278)
Edited by Feb 15, 2003 9:16 pm
mmmmm.... squid jerky ..... mmmmmm

Any ways, so dumbldore as the Giant Squid eh?.... Well it couldn't have been Hagrid as I once heard it told could it bc he was the one leading all the first years in the boats (and yes I saw that maybe it wasnt even the squid who pulled out the creevy boy). Also didn't harry and co go see him after they just saw the squid in the lake?

Back to the real topic: Dumbldore. I just have to say that this is one of the most originally plausible theories I have seen about Dumbledore. Very cool. I would have to say that I agree with it, except the only thing bothering me is the whole I met the owl half way bit ... oh well ... its still really cool Smile

Nine - Feb 16, 2003 4:59 am (#86 of 278)
anbigin, I mentioned the part in GoF in post #12. Many subsequent posts deal with that. There is no conflict because, if the squid put Dennis back in, there was still time for Dumbledore to get inside (due to Peeves' prank, the students clearly didn't get in the Great Hall as soon as they would have normally). If you want the details, go to the posts right after post #12.

Olivia Wood - Feb 16, 2003 8:02 pm (#87 of 278)
Oh my Godsh, you people are brilliant! I really didn't think there was anything to this theory when I saw it first, but it makes so much sense it's creepy. What convinced me is SP's explination of how the squid was playing with Fred and George and then soon afterwards he was flying to London. The fact is that Harry did see an owl flying towards the castle, and it could have been the one from the Ministry. I wouldn't put it past JK to include something like that. Wow, this changes everything! It gives Dumbledore a whole new dimension. I'm going to have to go do some re-reading...

anbigin - Feb 16, 2003 9:08 pm (#88 of 278)
Edited by Feb 16, 2003 9:19 pm
Hey Nine, I didn't mean my post to be against Dumbldore being the Giant Squid just against Hagrid as being the Squid (bc I've heard that theory too ... somewhere or another). The only problem I had with Dumbldore being the squid was with his statement of meeting Hedwig on his way back ... doesn't the owl fly ... not swim. Although after I posted I was thinking about it some more and while reading another thread came across the idea of what about Transfiguration ... couldn't Dumbldore just turn himself into an owl ... it'd probably be quicker or something than going as a squid.

Any ways I am so totally down with the Dumbldore is the Giant Squid theory! So funny and original! YAY!

Nine - Feb 17, 2003 7:39 am (#89 of 278)
Dumbledore didn't meet Hedwig on his way back; he says they must have "crossed paths in mid-air". Of course, that statement is false since we are going on the premise that Dumbledore is the giant squid. And I must not have understood what you were saying earlier.

Alianora - Feb 17, 2003 7:45 am (#90 of 278)
I thought Dumbledore never lied...

Nine - Feb 17, 2003 7:53 am (#91 of 278)
Edited by Feb 17, 2003 7:53 am
We have seen him bend the truth, and I'd think this was more bending the truth then actual lying. It was vague enough to be true. Dumbledore is actually contradicted by Ron and Hermione a few pages later, because they say that they met him in a corridor (just before or shortly after they would have sent Hedwig), so he couldn't have crossed paths with Hedwig in flight.

Or he could have flown on a broomstick to England, and the end result would be the same. Maybe he stores a broom in a place close to the lake.

Lady Arabella
Lady Arabella
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

DIGS! (Dumbledore is the Giant Squid) Empty Re: DIGS! (Dumbledore is the Giant Squid)

Post  Lady Arabella Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:34 pm

Olivia Wood - Feb 17, 2003 10:04 am (#92 of 278)
Who said Dumbledore never lied? Harry thought he was lying in the first book about seeing socks in the Mirror of Erised.

Diagon Nilly - Feb 17, 2003 11:08 am (#93 of 278)
Why not both? Is it THAT outlandish to have a giant squid riding a broomstick. Okay, so it might look a bit humorish, what with squid drippings hitting you in the head from on high... and the broomstick would have to be pretty big...and...well...uhm.

But, what I ALWAYS say, "If you've got the tentacles....!"

Dr Filibuster - Feb 17, 2003 1:31 pm (#94 of 278)
Edited by Feb 17, 2003 1:35 pm
I did a search and realised that nobody's quoted this line in a while:

Chapter 20 Goblet of Fire..."They want to beat Dumbledore. They'd like to prove he's only human" Moody gave a harsh laugh , and his magical eye swivelled around so fast it made Harry feel queasy to watch it.

His previous "harsh laugh" was when he mentioned his trunk

Olivia Wood - Feb 17, 2003 1:49 pm (#95 of 278)
Are you suggesting Dumbledore isn't human...?

Denise S. - Feb 17, 2003 3:48 pm (#96 of 278)
Well, if you can turn into a Giant Squid, you'd be more than "only human", wouldn't you??

Olivia Wood - Feb 18, 2003 7:04 pm (#97 of 278)
Oh, I get it... he's human *and* he's a squid... never mind.

Denise S. - Feb 21, 2003 6:55 pm (#98 of 278)
Cliff Hamaker: "PS- Now, what would turning into a giant squid say about Dumbley-Dore's personality.....??? "

Many tentacles = Can do many things at once

Rarely observed = Mysterious abilities we might not expect

Large eyes = Sees many things

Giant = Fewer enemies, altho they would more powerful than usual

(Dunno if this is posted somewhere back before or not, but I figure it might help to provoke some healthy discussions!!!Smile

Jazzmaster - Feb 23, 2003 5:04 pm (#99 of 278)
Perhaps this is the unifying theory, bare with me. "...Now Harry wished he hadn't been out in the grounds that night as the giant squid pulled itself out of the lake and started to drag itself towards him. He was frozen with fear as the beast raised his tentacles above him, ready to strike...but then, in the blink of an eye, the squid was gone and Harry's headmaster stood their in front of him. DUMBLEDORE LOWERED HIS HANDS AND SURVEYED HARRY THROUGH HIS HALF MOON GLASSES. ITS TIME FOR ME TO TELL YOU WHAT I SHOULD HAVE TOLD YOU 5 YEARS AGO...(etc)...I am the squid!!!(cue incidental music)"

Denise S. - Feb 23, 2003 5:06 pm (#100 of 278)
ROFLMAO!!! I'd bet some galleons on this one, I would! :-D

Carina - Feb 23, 2003 7:07 pm (#101 of 278)
BRILLIANT! ROFLMAO as well!

Meg L. - Feb 23, 2003 7:09 pm (#102 of 278)
Carina come join us in the chatroom!

Cliff Hamaker - Feb 24, 2003 10:20 am (#103 of 278)
Thats a great theory!!! Definitely unfies everything and explains a lot. Though I think he'd tell Harry something more than that he's the giant squid. I mean, Harry just saw him turn back into human form, right? Anyway, great theory!

Nine - Feb 24, 2003 1:46 pm (#104 of 278)
Hey! That was MY line! I could swear that I posted it on the "Order of the Phoenix--what are you looking forward to" thread weeks ago. Well, not all the details, but the "It's time for me to tell you what I should have told you five years ago. I am the giant squid." part was. Oh, well. Great minds think alike. Smile

Alianora - Feb 24, 2003 2:04 pm (#105 of 278)
DOn't worry, Nine, I remember you saying that:)

Nine - Feb 24, 2003 2:12 pm (#106 of 278)
Thanks, Alianora. I thought I'd said it, but I was afraid that I hadn't and was losing my mind. Wink

Jazzmaster - Feb 24, 2003 4:20 pm (#107 of 278)
Sorry Nine, just popped into my head. Have been trying to get through all the other threads but not quite there yet, so if I repeat something then it's an honest mistake. If this happened it'd definitely cheer me up after the bad news that I'm preparing myself for in this book. Sorry again ;-)

Jazzmaster - Feb 24, 2003 5:21 pm (#108 of 278)
Edited by Feb 24, 2003 5:23 pm
How about this version instead... “The hottest day of the summer so far was drawing to a close and a drowsy silence lay over the large, square houses of Privet Drive … The only person left outside was a teenage boy who was lying flat on his back in a flowerbed outside number four.” "Dudley had just finished the biggest bowl of Calamari he had every seen, too big to be a normal squid. Earlier, he had demanded the italien dish but not just a normal size helping, oh no, he wanted a GIANT helping. As he lazily lay in the garden, finishing the last morsels, Harry got an Owl telling him of the mysterious disappearence of his beloved headmaster......"

Denise S. - Feb 24, 2003 6:24 pm (#109 of 278)
Which would go to prove that Harry's greatest enemy is NOT Voldemort, but Dudley--who would soon be contacted by Death Eaters and work his way into the ranks of Voldemorts most intimate servants. But in a fit of severe hunger due to a steady diet of grapefruit, Dudley would EAT Voldemort, making himself #1 in command, and the final duel would be Harry vs. Dudley!

Diagon Nilly- Feb 24, 2003 6:35 pm (#110 of 278)
Yeah, Denise. But what good would that do? Voldemort would just return again in 10 hours or so Wink

Denise S. - Feb 24, 2003 6:36 pm (#111 of 278)
...?...

I don't get what you mean...but I think I do, so I won't ask you to explain! Smile

Istari Jone - Feb 24, 2003 8:06 pm (#112 of 278)
Did someone ask Dudley if he wanted fries with that calamari? ^_^

I was hoping Harry had been dreaming of garden gnomes and Flipendo'ed Dudley into the flower bed.....

Nin - Feb 25, 2003 4:20 pm (#113 of 278)
It's all right, Jazzmaster. Maybe we should both become crazy and join everyone else who's ended up in St. Mungo's from this forum. How does that sound? Wink

Istari Jones - Feb 25, 2003 4:30 pm (#114 of 278)
Hey Nine, they have a special support group at St. Mungo's for us HP fans! Come join the fun ^_^

Nine - Feb 25, 2003 4:32 pm (#115 of 278)
They do? Great! Is there a Giant Squid night or anything? Hmm...now to find a way to convince everyone I'm insane enough to come...

[/Istari Jones - Feb 25, 2003 4:47 pm (#116 of 278)
We have a Voldemort look-alike contest...Smile

Denise S. - Feb 25, 2003 7:28 pm (#117 of 278)
Edited by Feb 25, 2003 7:28 pm
# Grumbles* Of course you're bragging about it, you always win!

Yeah, Nine, we used to have our own Giant Squid night, but then the staff found out about it and got real upset, so they started serving calamari on those nights... I'm fed up with them mistreating us like this! Istari, I say that we bust out tonight...or Friday night...or sometime like that (I'll let you know when my broom's fixed).

Jazzmaster - Feb 26, 2003 12:14 am (#118 of 278)
It sounds like fun, might just have to join you. Sure beats hanging out in the Forbidden Forest, terrible infestation problems. Do they have any other fancy dress nights at St Mungos? If so, I'll be the one who's painted my hand silver, gives away very ones secrets and eats all the cheese on cocktail sticks. Dumbledore would make great food though, all the sherbet lemon juice would go great with seafood ;-)

rettoP yrraH - Feb 26, 2003 12:20 pm (#119 of 278)
Yuk too sweet. Need armidilo bile from snape for the squid pieces

Denise S. - Feb 26, 2003 5:44 pm (#120 of 278)
Istari, Istari--they're after us, too! We must go and protect our Dumbledore!!!

rettoP yrraH - Feb 26, 2003 8:22 pm (#121 of 278)
He can fend for himself thank you.

Istari Jones - Feb 27, 2003 9:13 pm (#122 of 278)
By Grabthar's Hammer, Denise, Dumbledore shall be avenged!

Oh, and Jazzmaster, our fancy dress nights are also contests...Snape in Drag Ballroom Dancing Competitions. Judged by the elegant Gilderoy Lockhart himself! (See Diagon Nilly's recent picture for last Saturday's winner ^_^)

Diagon Nilly - Feb 27, 2003 10:51 pm (#123 of 278)
Oh no, Istari...be careful what you wish for, you may just get it Wink

You want Ballroom drag Snape? Just say the word!

Istari Jones - Feb 28, 2003 8:09 am (#124 of 278)
Edited by Feb 28, 2003 8:15 am
NO! NO! NO! Are you crazy? There has to be SOME sanity here!(uhhh, wait, we're at St. Mungo's.....) Ballroon drag Snape?? *Shudders violently* I don't know if anyone's ready to go there yet or not! (But I love the Saturday Night Fever one!!!^_^)

Denise...I'll loan you my red eye contacts for the next Voldemort look alike contest, OK?

Denise S. - Feb 28, 2003 4:25 pm (#125 of 278)
Diagon Nilly, I'm saying the word, altho warn me the day before so that I'll be sure not to come here while my roommate's sleeping, heh.

Wow, Istari, thanks!

Diagon Nilly - Feb 28, 2003 6:29 pm (#126 of 278)
Okay Denise. Let me wait for the novelty of the current pic to fade and you got it. If you ever run across some good pictures for me to doctor up, send 'em my way.

W J - Feb 28, 2003 6:33 pm (#127 of 278)
Here you go, D'Nilly. Lots of Snape pictures.

http://yacht.zamok.net/DV/Potter/Posters/Snape/

Denise S. - Feb 28, 2003 11:19 pm (#128 of 278)
Right, Snape in ballroom dance attire? Gotcha...

Lindsay - Mar 2, 2003 12:15 pm (#129 of 278)
Hehehe... I want to see Snape in a long,flowing Victorian gown, with one of those funny hats...

Istari Jones - Mar 2, 2003 12:55 pm (#130 of 278)
Is there NO Sanctity at all???? (Sobbing!) Please! (...grovels submissively and whining like Wormtail)....Please! Not ballroom attire!!!Sad

Istari Jones - Mar 2, 2003 1:04 pm (#131 of 278)
Oh, Denise...about breaking out on Friday night (post #117)...we can't because it's all-you-can-eat Seafood night, and....and....ohhhh....(trails off as realization hits home)... yeah, better make it Thursday...(SHHHH! pass the word...breakout on Thursday...at midight...password to the secret tunnel is "calamari!")

Lindsay - Mar 2, 2003 6:29 pm (#132 of 278)
'calamari', tunnel, midnight... gotcha...

Jazzmaster - Mar 4, 2003 12:44 am (#133 of 278)
Hello. Do you realy think escape is a good idea? Can you imagine what it would be like out there? After years of analysing everything how are you going to switch off? Can you imagine all the fights you'll get into if you ask every wizend looking old man if he is really a giant squid, or every guy with greasy, long black hair and a love for wearing black if he's a vampire. Not to mention the beatings from bikers with skull tattoos who you've accused of being in league with the "Dark Lord". How are you going to go into a pet shop without checking every rodent for missing fingers, you'll be thrown out by security screaming "I was only looking for a kneazle!" What you need to realise is that St Mungos isn't here to protect the general public from us, it's to protect us from them!

Istari Jones - Mar 4, 2003 5:23 am (#134 of 278)
I am properly chastized, Jazzmater, although the idea of all of us former St. Mungo's inmates starting our own biker club, replete with gnarly tatoos of skulls, snakes, and cool black leather vampire motorcycle jackets is quite tempting...but missing the fancy dress nights you requested (*cough* SID ballroom dancing competitions *cough*) Would be giving up too much.

But remember, we're trying to escape to save the Giant Squid. Do you have any other plans for success?

JazzmasterMar 4, 2003 3:13 pm (#135 of 278)
Hmmmm, bit of a puzzle that one. If we aren't going to get him we'll have to make him come to us. We could tempt him in by whittling sherbet lemons into the shape of prawns and small fish to try and appeal to both sides of his personality (it would be nice to have something to do with my hands now they have loosened the straps on my straight jacket). If we could get him close enough to the windows, a bit of tentacle tickling would get him in I'm sure. The bigger problem is what to do with him when he's here, I don't think the bath tubs are big enough. What do you think?

Istari Jones - Mar 4, 2003 5:58 pm (#136 of 278)
Ahhh, Jazzmaster, you truly are an insane genious!! The bathtubs will have to do....We'll just have to keep the shower running over him maybe...But if he won't fit into the tub, how are we going to get him in through the bars on our windows??? I know he's pretty squishy, but those sherbert lemons can be pretty fattening!

Denise S.- Mar 4, 2003 9:18 pm (#137 of 278)
Edited by Mar 4, 2003 9:18 pm
But Jazzmaster, you have forgotten the number one rule! "Squidus dormiens nunquam titillandus!" If we do that, he'll surely make too much of a ruckus for it to go unnoticed. We need to find some way to shrink him...unfortunately, I'm no expert at reduction potions...

(btw, if anyone can figure out how to really say "never tickle a sleeping squid" in latin, please tell me, the internet is not being helpful tonight!)

Jimmy Bell- Mar 4, 2003 9:43 pm (#138 of 278)
Fred and George do tickle the squid in the first book ... uh oh.

Jazzmaster - Mar 5, 2003 1:58 am (#139 of 278)
Hmmm, I think we are missing something here. If the squid is Dumbledore then he can transform back and will be safe as can be anywhere. If the squid is just a squid do we really want it here? The merpeople must have been chasing it for a reason. Maybe it stayed with them for a bit but it snored so loudly they had to get rid of it?

Lindsay - Mar 7, 2003 3:29 pm (#140 of 278)
or maybe.... the merpeople were really hungry, they could have had a hankering for Calamari...

Ticker - Mar 20, 2003 7:58 am (#141 of 278)
Edited by Mar 20, 2003 7:58 am
OK, OK, OK - I finally read this thread. I started becoming convinced of Dumbledore's squidy-ness, and now I've realized I was being prevented from seeing the truth sooner because of the mind-numbing potion I've been drinking. I thought it was just grapefruit juice - but NO more! Yes, indeed - I will meet you all in the tunnel. I'll be wearing 4 red straight-jackets unfastened to show my suuport.

I must add my two quid in the defence of "must have passed in mid-air". When have you ever known an owl to miss a delivery (except Errol possibly missing a landing, or taking a long time in arriving). Hedwig would surely have seen Dumbledore in passing (especially if he was flying on a large broom as the Giant Squid, as has been suggested). I maintain Dumbledore just used the expression as an expression and not as a statement of fact. Owls simply know where to find people & if Dumbledore had been above ground they would have met.

I also find particular humor in Ravenclaw Chaser's post #45: "I'm not sure how it will stand the test of time, but it is funny to think about." hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

HAIL DUMBLEDORE, THE GIANT SQUID & Long Live the DIGS Club! (Count me in Smile

TL - Mar 20, 2003 9:31 pm (#142 of 278)
Someone might have already mentioned this (I sort of skimmed through the thread), but has anyone else realized the connection between cephalopods' (like the Giant Squid) highly advanced ability to camouflage themselves (by changing the pigments in their skin) in a matter of seconds, and how Dumbledore doesn't "need a cloak to become invisible" (Mirror Of Erised, SS/PS). Hmm. It may just be me, but it sounds very suspicious...

-TL

Carina - Mar 20, 2003 9:35 pm (#143 of 278)
Chalk up one more for the Squid theory! hmmmmm...

Denise S. - Mar 21, 2003 9:00 pm (#144 of 278)
TL, that's a cool observation, and provides a very nice explanation for one of Dumbledore's many powers.

Slytherin Prefect - Mar 22, 2003 9:36 am (#145 of 278)
Blimey! Is that a squid kite in your picture, Denise? ^_^

Lindsay - Mar 22, 2003 11:10 am (#146 of 278)
Yes it is... I wish I had one of my own... I praise the squid kite!

Eloise Midgen - Mar 22, 2003 11:23 am (#147 of 278)
Also, when the Durmstrang ship came in, you would think the squid would be slightly disturbed by the whole splashing, sloshing and whirlpooling business, but they didn't even see it while they were out waiting for the other school. This is obviously because Dumbledore was up on the shore to greet the arrivals from Beauxbatons and Durmstrang.

This is my first time on this forum and I think it's the coolest thing!All Hail Dumbledore, for he is the Giant Squid! You people are hilarious.

Denise S - Mar 22, 2003 1:59 pm (#148 of 278)
A "squid kite"?? A common Muggle toy?? Fie, Slytherin Prefect, fie! No, it is Dumbledore himself--some Muggle sent it through the mail as a form of blackmail. ...And I happen to like the pic as well ;-)

Rosariana - Mar 22, 2003 4:41 pm (#149 of 278)
I have been following this theory for months but I don't know why I waited until now to post my support. Brilliant, Slytherin Prefect! Its people who think like you who will reveal the mysteries of Harry Potter before JKR does. You were able to back up a far-fetched, seemingly impossible theory with actual evidence and you have gotten people to believe it. I laud you.

Dumbledore as the squid will be able to rally the support of all the sea monsters in the world for the fight against Voldemort. Moldy Voldy has no connections underwater. Therefore, Dumbly being the squid IS important to the future storyline!

Denise S. - Mar 22, 2003 8:40 pm (#150 of 278)
Yes--and Dumbledore can't protect the underwater in the passage through the lake when he's in human form, so he turns into the squid in order to do it, see? :-)

Lady Arabella
Lady Arabella
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Lady Arabella Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:39 pm

Istari Jones - Mar 22, 2003 10:20 pm (#151 of 278)
Denise, if that's not a giant squid kite, then is it an actual picture of proof that Dumbledore doesn't need a broom to fly???

Denise S. - Mar 23, 2003 6:08 pm (#152 of 278)
Edited by Mar 23, 2003 6:14 pm
Yes. Dumbledore is a very powerful wizard, after all...

(Alright, I wanted to put the pic in my post, but it's huge. So for the future, when I may have changed my avatar or what have you, the original pic can be found here: http://www.kiteman.co.uk/Resources/Squid.jpg )

S.E. Jones - Mar 26, 2003 7:34 pm (#153 of 278)
Denise that is too COOL!

Gina R Snape - Mar 28, 2003 9:31 am (#154 of 278)
Oooh, Rosariana. I like your thinking. Maybe Voldy will find his way onto the Hogwarts grounds. Dumbledore, as the giant squid, will reach out a giant arm and pull him into the lake. Then the merpeople and their pet grindylows will help the attack. Potter can then swallow some more gillyweed and finish him off.

And, just adding to the theory. Notice how they never mention serving calamari in the dining hall?

W J - Apr 3, 2003 9:25 pm (#155 of 278)
http://channels.netscape.com/ns/news/bigpic.jsp?photoid=20030401LON804.jpg&cap=squid&w=&max=&first=&floc=ns-wnew

The New Zealanders got Dumbledore!

Tommie - Apr 3, 2003 10:05 pm (#156 of 278)
No! How DARE they?!

shepherdess - Apr 3, 2003 10:07 pm (#157 of 278)
It's okay, W.J., it's a female. Whew! What a relief!

W J - Apr 3, 2003 10:32 pm (#158 of 278)
Whew! Thanks, shepherdess! I missed that. Poor Dumbledore has lost his friend though.... Wink

Gina R Snape - Apr 4, 2003 3:26 pm (#159 of 278)
Yes, very sad. Someone (I think at St. Mungo's) heard the squid was found to have a heart locket on with Dumbeldore's picture in it. I think it must've been his underwater girlfriend.

George Prescott - Apr 8, 2003 9:12 am (#160 of 278)
Excuse me, but I think you're wrong - Dumbledore is NOT the giant squid.

GoF, Chapter 26 - "Their yellowish eyes were fixed upon Harry's wand, and they looked scared. There might be a lot more of them than there were of him, but Harry could tell, by the looks on their faces, that they knew no more magic than the giant squid did."

If the merpeople were afraid of a fourth year student threatening them with a wand, then Dumbledore (even as the giant squid) would probably send them fleeing out to open sea to get away from him. But they do not flee from the giant squid, thus Dumbledore is not the giant squid.

Who then is the giant squid? Why, it's none other than Argus Filch, who is transformed into the giant squid by Peeves the Poltergeist using a swiped student's wand. Peeves also works a Confundus Charm on Filch when he is the squid so that he is willing to let Fred & George Weasley tickle his tentacles.

The SQUIB is the SQUID!

And now, I have to leave. Gotta catch the Knight Bus back to Saint Mungo's, you know....

Lindsay - Apr 8, 2003 9:31 am (#161 of 278)
WHAT!?!?! No no, I'm afraid you are mistaken.... Dumbledore *IS* the Giant Squid!! Filch is.... well, I don't know exactly what he is, but he's definitly not the squid....

Denise S. - Apr 8, 2003 11:08 am (#162 of 278)
George, I'm not sure how serious you are about this, so I'll act as if you were 100% serious (well, relatively serious).

Can ghosts even perform magic? Peeves can pick up things like wands, but can he pick up a person like Filch, take him all the way outside, dump him in the lake, and transform him there? Why Filch?

Then there's also the fact that since this book is written from Harry's point of view, he would have no idea that the Squid could be/is magical. And how could he know? It's not as if he hangs out with him...

So, in conclusion--It's still Dumbledore!

Nin - Apr 8, 2003 1:35 pm (#163 of 278)
I don't think you can spellcast in animal form, so while the Squid (Dumbledore) knows magic, he can't use it as a squid. Besides, Filch would end up getting transfigured into the form of a squid an awful lot if he was the squid, because he wouldn't be able to transform on his own.

Makgraf- Apr 8, 2003 1:53 pm (#164 of 278)
George I'm afraid there's a bit of a non sequitur in your arguement. The merpeople may be afraid of magic, but as others have said there's no way they could tell. After all, if even Dumbledore could mistake Minerva for a ordinary cat, how could merfolk tell the Squid is reallly Dumbledore?

Personally, this is one of my favourite theories. Very Happy

George Prescott - Apr 8, 2003 4:01 pm (#165 of 278)
Part of me was being silly, part of me was sincere, all of me was smiling. I simply feel that Dumbledore being the giant squid makes no sense for a bunch of reasons. As an example, wouldn't Dumbledore let on to Merchieftainess Murcus that he is the squid so that they would not hurt him by accident?

I used Filch because he is the least magical human in the neighborhood of Hogwarts. Later I found a clue that suggested that he could be - CoS, Chapter 8 in the description of Filch's office - "A faint smell of fried fish lingered about the place." He could have gotten the fish in the lake as the squid (LoL).

Makgraf, there is nothing in PS/SS Chapter 1 to suggest that Dumbledore mistook Minerva for an ordinary cat. In fact, he seems to realize that she's there - "I should have known" - just as soon as he saw her.

As I was composing this, I realized the biggest reason why Dumbledore MUST not be seen as the giant squid. If Dumbledore is, in fact, an unregistered animagus, then there is the perfect lever for someone (Lucius Malfoy? Cornelius Fudge? a flunky of Voldemort?) to remove him as headmaster of Hogwarts - he is a LAWBREAKER. Even if the school governors don't sign an Order of Suspension, it would be very difficult to run Hogwarts from a cell in Azkaban - and I would not put it past Fudge or someone else in the Ministry of Magic to try to have him shipped there. And I need not tell you how big of a disaster THAT would be.

Well, ultimately we have (I think) three ways to ultimately come to the truth. First, we can get everybody (Dumbledore, Filch, the giant squid, and everyone else we care to have on this) into one room together. Since there is such a thing as Polyjuice Potion, we would need to keep them together for over an hour ("No drinks! PUT DOWN THAT FLASK, MR. MOODY!"). Then we could get a resolution of the issue.

Second, we get the Marauder's Map and look carefully. We know that that anyone in animagus form will be named by their human name (right, Peter Pettigrew?). Should we find "Albus Dumbledore" in the lake, he'll have some explaining to do. If, on the other hand, we see Dumbledore in his office according to the map and at the same time look out onto the lake and see the giant squid basking in the warm shallows, then Dumbledore isn't the giant squid. (Where's the Map now that we REALLY need it!?!)

Third, JKR can resolve it for us (All hail, JKR, the Teller of the Tale!). Of course, she might think we are all crazy & have us all confined to St. Mungo's without any Internet or release priviledges....

Makgraf - Apr 8, 2003 4:11 pm (#166 of 278)
Blargh that's what happens when you only dimmly remember things Very Happy. A more accurate statement would be that because Minerva believed that Dumbledore wouldn't be able to recogonize her, and she's an expert in Transfigurations, that antimagi can't usually be recognized. Very Happy

W J - Apr 8, 2003 4:29 pm (#167 of 278)
Who says he's an unregistered animagus, George? Hermione only looked at the registered animagi from the 20th century. Dumbledore, being 150 years old, probably registered his Giant Squidness during the 19th century. Wink

Denise S. - Apr 8, 2003 5:16 pm (#168 of 278)
George, or anyone, actually--trying to get us to give up the DIGS theory is something that we'll have to have written right in front of our noses, 'cause there's not much else that will get us to give it up.^_^ But don't stop, by any means; just be aware that you're prob'ly gonna end up fighting a very uphill battle ;-)

Cliff Hamaker - Apr 8, 2003 5:22 pm (#169 of 278)
And you're plan to put everyone in a room for more than an hour has its flaw too. The Giant Squid would be an animagus. We know from CoS that Polyjuice potion does not work well for animal transfigurations, poor Hermione, so the Squid would not be a wizard transformed by Polyjuice. If Dumbledore, being that Giant Squid, wanted to fool you, he could stay in that form or hours. Besides, you'd only be able to find one or the other: Dumbledore or the Giant Squid. Smile

Denise S. - Apr 8, 2003 5:27 pm (#170 of 278)
Edited by Apr 8, 2003 6:27 pm
# points upwards* See, George? Case in point!

Cliff Hamaker - Apr 8, 2003 5:29 pm (#171 of 278)
Glad to prove something around here! Wink

Pinky - Apr 8, 2003 7:04 pm (#172 of 278)
Of course, that brings up the question of exactly how did Dumbledore learn to speak Mermish if he ISN'T the giant squid.

[/shepherdess - Apr 9, 2003 8:06 am (#173 of 278)
That's just it-he IS!

George, you want to get the giant squid in a ROOM with everyone else? Squids don't go in ROOMS! (Unless, of course, they're in their wizard form!)

George Prescott - Apr 9, 2003 10:26 am (#174 of 278)
WJ - Hermione looked up the register of all animagi, not merely the list of who became an animagus in the Twentieth century (PoA, Chapter 18). Perhaps she missed Dumbledore, but if she read the entire register I cannot help but see her telling Harry & Ron - especially if it reinforces her great point to the two of them to crack the books.

Cliff Hamaker - the reason for everyone in the room for more than one hour is so that no one will pose as Dumbledore while we have him in the room with the giant squid. (In other words, is the Dumbledore we have in the room with the giant squid really Dumbledore?)

Is everyone in agreement with me that Dumbledore being an unregistered animagus is a very bad idea, with disastrous consequences?

Dumbledore as a registered animagus? Maybe, and it would fit with the image of being a bit mad (PS/SS, chapter 7). I don't see the evidence for it, though. I need a hard declaration from J K Rowling.

Dumbledore as an UNREGISTERED animagus? NO - and if some people at the Ministry of Magic get that idea, we'd BETTER put the giant squid and Dumbledore together in the same room, or Dumbledore gets Sirius Black's old cell in Azkaban....

azi - Apr 9, 2003 10:30 am (#175 of 278)
Dumbledore may not have become an animagus in the 20th century. He is 150 years old!

NoVeil4Me - Apr 9, 2003 12:27 pm (#176 of 278)
I agree, I doubt that Dumbledore is an unregistered Animagus, I think he is registered. I don't think Hermione looked back far enough to see him.

Face it, Dumbledore is the squid. We all know it. Embrace your squidness....come to the squid side.

Kathy Lynch - Apr 9, 2003 12:46 pm (#177 of 278)
Hee hee.... Yeah, Squid Pro Quo...

(sorry.)

Marie E. - Apr 9, 2003 3:22 pm (#178 of 278)
Oh, Kathy!!!!!

W J - Apr 9, 2003 7:45 pm (#179 of 278)
George, Hermione said there were only seven registered animagi this century (20th Century) but she did not say if she looked at the 19th century, and she did not say who the other animagi on the list were besides Prof. McGonnagall.

So that leaves plenty of opportunity for Dumbledore to be the Giant Squid, whether he is registered or not. Wink

Denise S.- Apr 9, 2003 7:53 pm (#180 of 278)
(Like I said, George, you're gonna have a hard time...)

Slytherin Prefect - Apr 11, 2003 11:16 pm (#181 of 278)
Here's another thing to consider: why does Dumbledore specifically need to be an animagus to turn into the giant squid?

After all, we know Dumbledore's a powerful wizard: Order of Merlin, was once the transfiguration teacher at Hogwarts...

Is it not a possibility that Dumbledore simply transfigures himself into a squid (with a wand or a potion, since as far as I can tell the only thing that distinguishes 'animagi' from the 'animal transfigured' is such a device) when he needs a break from the world?

Kip Carter - Apr 12, 2003 12:21 am (#182 of 278)
The defender of the Giant Squid theory is alive and well! Nice to see you back in circulation.

Pinky[/[b] - Apr 12, 2003 6:27 am (#183 of 278)
I had thought of that, too, SP. After all, Krum did a rather bad job of transfiguring himself into a shark in the second trial in GoF. Also, in CoS (Chapter 11, Duelling Club), it's mentioned that McGonagall is shouting at someone who turned their friend into a badger. So it certainly seems possible to be transfigured into an animal without it being an animagi thing.

[b]George Prescott
- Apr 12, 2003 4:59 pm (#184 of 278)
Slytherin Prefect, re: your "Why does Dumbledore specifically need to be an animagus to turn into the giant squid?"

That is NOT a very good idea right now, with all sorts of people who have reasons to get Dumbledore. We do not need anything to help them do it. If Dumbledore has ever become the giant squid more than once, he will be accused of being an unregistered animagus - with everything that entails, including a cell in Azkaban.

Think on these lines - if someone could twist anything into making Dumbledore into an unregistered animagus at this time, THEY WILL DO SO.

If he's the squid, he's a perfectly legal registered one.

Carina - Apr 12, 2003 7:00 pm (#185 of 278)
I don't follow you George... There's a huge difference between being an Animagus and transfiguring yourself into an animal: one is legal and taught to the students and the other is a complicated spell, strictly regulated by the MOM. Because the Animagus transformation is so tricky, not everyone can do it, so I see no reason why anyone would jump to the conclusion that someone who has transfigured themselves would be an Animagus,especially someone as well respected as Dumbledore. We have conjectured that the transfiguration requires a wand and is a temporary condition and I would further conjecture that it has a different magical trace (if there is such a thing) than a regular Animagi transformation. I don't see why transfiguring yourself cause a problem for anyone.

NoVeil4Me - Apr 12, 2003 7:27 pm (#186 of 278)
Another difference between transfiguration and being an animagus, beyond the use of the wand, is choice.

When a wizard uses transfiguration, they can choose what they transfigure into or what object is being transfigured. Examples of this are the hedgehog turned into a pincushion and Krum's partial transfiguration into a shark.

According to JKR, an animagus has no choice over the animal form that they will take. It is something intrinsic to the wizard.

Rotchell - Apr 15, 2003 7:19 am (#187 of 278)
OK I'm clutching at straws but this might just be good enough for a conclusive proof. I have been using a latin translator that I've downloaded to analyze all the latin in Harry Potter for a while now, and I'd thought I'd try deconstructing "Architeuthis" which is the biological name for a giant squid. Here's what I got

"Archit" = He keeps [something/one] away "euthis" = Near by them

Well this is Dumbledor isn't it. He looks after the wizards and witches of tommorrow by being near them as he is the only person voldemort really fears.

Gina R Snape - Apr 15, 2003 8:42 am (#188 of 278)
Well, he certainly does that with Harry, Mark.

So, if ever given the chance to speak with JKR, would anyone hear actually work up the nerve to ask her about this theory?

Nine - Apr 15, 2003 10:34 am (#189 of 278)
Yes, I would if I could. Except whoever did it would probably need permission from Slytherin Prefect first, I think. And I'm not in England.

George Prescott- Apr 15, 2003 11:07 am (#190 of 278)
The reason I think Dumbledore, if he really is the giant squid, does it by being an animagus instead of by an ordinary transformation can be found in Quidditch Through the Ages, page 1: "Those few Animagi who transform into winged creatures may enjoy flight, but they are a rarity. The witch or wizard who finds him- or herself transfigured into a bat may take to the air, but, having a bat's brain, they are sure to forget where they want to go the moment they take flight."

From this it seems that, while an ordinary transfiguration will leave you with the brains of what you transfigured into, being an animagus lets you keep what brains you do have when you transform. Rita Skeeter, transfigured into a beetle, would not be able to understand human conversation; Rita Skeeter, the animagus transformed into a beetle, will understand and remember human conversation.

Dumbledore, as an animagus who becomes the giant squid, would have the best of both worlds - he can happily swim as the giant squid while he keeps all his mental faculties.

In PoA, page 351 (Scholastic paperback edition) Hermione says, "We did Animagi in class with Professor McGonagall. And I looked them up when I did my homework-- the Ministry of Magic keeps tabs on witches and wizards who can become animals; there's a register showing what animal they become, and their markings and things...". From this I must conclude that Hermione read the entire Register of Animagi, not merely the listing of those who became Animagi in the Twentieth Century. (Besides, our resident overachiever would be the type to read the whole list!)

The question then comes up as to why she didn't tell Harry & Ron. (I am operating on the basis that Dumbledore being an unregistered animagus is downright dangerous in these dark days.) She certainly would have seen Dumbledore's name (Hermione missing something in a reading assignment - even a self-imposed one - is about as likely as Trelawney making a thousand predictions in a row and having each come out right on the money.) I can only come up with one possibility -- Hermione Granger is part of the Great Cover-Up of the fact that Dumbledore is the Giant Squid.

Why, I don't know. We know Dumbledore is a bit mad, this would fit in so well. As long as he has dotted his legal I's and crossed all the legal T's, who cares what he does to relax? (Of course, we're going to have to update his Chocolate Frog card to include "being the giant squid" in his pasttimes....)

Slytherin Prefect - Apr 15, 2003 11:08 am (#191 of 278)
::looks around:: Um... Look, not that I don't appreciate the adoration or anything, but why would you need my permission? o_o

But I would so totally ask her if given the opportunity.

"I know he's the giant squid! Confess! Confess!"

Well probably not like THAT, but you get the idea...

Marè - Apr 15, 2003 12:20 pm (#192 of 278)
Actually I don't think hermione would have mentioned "this century" so explicitly for nothing. If there ever is going to show up another animagus, I think it is going to be one that became an animagus before this century. And Dumbledore as former transfiguration teacher is a likely candidate....

Denise S. - Apr 15, 2003 12:58 pm (#193 of 278)
Re: being unable to keep human brains while transfigured--well, wouldn't that be a nice little respite from the undoubtedly stressful world that Dumbledore is a part of? ;-)

I think that if DD was the Giant Squid and JKR was writing it as such, it would be one of those things that she keeps as "background info" that's impt. for character, but not necessarily to the story. *pause* We can hope, tho, that that last bit will change! ;-)

Carina - Apr 15, 2003 2:21 pm (#194 of 278)
Hermione is very good about keeping information about others to herself if she feels the person may not want it known (I'm thinking of Lupin's secret here-she didn't tell it until she thought they were in danger from him). Maybe she realizes that Dumbledore may not want his secret identity known to the students and is keeping it to herself.

Kathy Lynch - Apr 15, 2003 2:29 pm (#195 of 278)
Becuase it's YOUR theory, Josh. We want you to get the credit when she smiles and says "good guess!"

(welcome back, by the way. Long time, no read.)

shepherdess - Apr 15, 2003 3:48 pm (#196 of 278)
So, George does your last post mean you've joined the Dumbledore is the Giant Squid Club? If so, you're in good company! All hail Dumbledore! All hail Slytherin Prefect-our fearless leader!

Slytherin Prefect - Apr 15, 2003 6:02 pm (#197 of 278)
Fearless? Moi? I don't think so. That's a Gryffindor trait.

We Slytherin know quite well the value of fear. ^_^

shepherdess - Apr 15, 2003 6:13 pm (#198 of 278)
Well, you weren't afraid of being proven wrong.Smile

Cliff Hamaker - Apr 15, 2003 6:17 pm (#199 of 278)
Edited by Apr 15, 2003 7:17 pm
That you do, SP. Wink

And George, I think you turned a 180 way back there and never realised it. Oh, well. As sheperdess said, welcome to the Dumbledore is a Giant Squid Club! Wink

And I think that JK put the in the last century bit in there as an opening. She is probably planning to have Dumbledore revealed in later books as an Animagus, of course we all know what animal he will be Wink so, she left herself an opening. It makes sense. And tells us that she *really* has EVERYTHING planned out, down to the last 'T'.

George Prescott - Apr 16, 2003 4:00 pm (#200 of 278)
Yes, I BELIEVE!!

Oh, and in case in Book 5 or later we see Dumbledore looking out over the lake and seeing the giant squid -- how do we know that that isn't merely ANOTHER squid that's been added later?

shepherdess - Apr 16, 2003 4:30 pm (#201 of 278)
That's exactly right. After all dumbledore has all kinds of friends.

Jackie !Fast - Apr 28, 2003 7:50 pm (#202 of 278)
Firstly, my complimants to Slytherin Prefect for a watertight, entertaining, and marvelous theory. I'm most excited to be a new member of the DIGS club! "Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!"=I am the giant squid!

However, if Dumbledore had to be the squid for over a century, we have another thing to work out. What was he doing there before he was principal? What would Armando Dippet think about it if one of his teachers took secret breaks from teaching for basking in the lake?

Additionally, Dumbledore's beard was described as shining in an un-natural way at another point in the series. Harry's first evening at Hogwarts, when he gets sorted, he notes that Dumbly's beard was as shiny as the candles and the ghosts. Perhaps he swam in the lake that afternoon as well? Sounds good to me! :-) What a great theory!

Saralinda - Apr 29, 2003 3:19 am (#203 of 278)
Furthermore, I wouldn't be a bit surprised to learn that the silvery something that was DD's patronus (the one he cast on the dementors at the Quidditch game) actually took the form of his GS. No wonder it seemed like just a silvery blob to Harry. Who'd expect tentacles, if they didn't know the Truth? Wink

Cliff Hamaker - Apr 29, 2003 9:52 am (#204 of 278)
Edited by Apr 29, 2003 10:58 am
Jackie, I think that has been noted on this thread before, but yes, you're right.

And I'm sure that Dumbledore took his basks during his breaks from teaching. OH, OH!!! I just had an idea! And they come so seldom... ;)And I have NO idea whether or not this has been brought up on this thread before, but here I go.

Ok, McGonagal is an Animagus. She is the current Transfiguration teacher. Dumbledore was the Transfiguration teacher 50 years ago. I am willing to bet that a large majority of Transfiguration teachers are Animagi. It makes sense. Think about it. Who would be better at wandless transfiguration than a Transfiguration teacher???

Possible translation of Dumbledore's legendary words: A silly person sobs noisily over a left over joke.

Further translation: Don't pay attention to people who joke you.

Anyone else have a different translation? Smile

Denise S. - Apr 29, 2003 10:24 am (#205 of 278)
Edited by Apr 29, 2003 11:24 am
# blink blink* *shakes head* Can you explain the whole "translation" thing? I don't get where you're getting the translations from (the sentence, yes, but how--).

Alas, Cliff, I think it's been brought up on another thread, but that's okay, we still appreciate your hard work and effort ;-).

Pinky - Apr 29, 2003 10:37 am (#206 of 278)
Nitwit: A silly person

Blubber: sobs noisily

Oddment: over a left over

Tweak: joke

Is that the translation you're looking for, Denise?

Denise S. - Apr 29, 2003 6:36 pm (#207 of 278)
Edited by Apr 29, 2003 7:37 pm
Ah, so. "I see!" said the blind (wo)man. ;-)

Actually, you could translate "blubber" as "the fat from a whale." Whales are other deep sea creatures...Sperm whales are known to eat Giant Squid...Perhaps extremely large Giant Squid can eat smaller sperm whales...

Anyhow, the word order would have to be rearranged a little, with the verb being at the end (the way it would be if this were, say, Japanese ~_^):

nitwit A silly person tweak jokes oddment (about) left-over blubber whale fat. Hm...because no one in their right mind would think that the Giant Squid (alias Dumbledore) would ever have left-over whale meat, because there are no whales in the lake!!!

Nate Davis - Apr 29, 2003 11:19 pm (#208 of 278)
Personally, I'm looking forward to the day when this is confirmed-- It would give us such a sense of pride to have been in on it for so long!

On the other hand, it will be kind of a let down not being able to speculate on this thread any more...

Denise S. - Apr 30, 2003 5:05 pm (#209 of 278)
Eh, we won't have to worry about that for many a year, Nate!...Dunno if that's good or bad...

Cliff Hamaker- Apr 30, 2003 5:24 pm (#210 of 278)
Edited by Apr 30, 2003 6:26 pm
Maybe we could ask her about it after she finishes, though I never want that day to come!!! *tear*

Hey, JK! Love your books! By the way, any chance that Dumbledore was/is the Giant Squid? It's just a slight personal obsession. But it has been bugging me for a while. A few hundred of my friends, too.... What? You have a restraining order? Oh. Well, I guess I'll be going then.... Wait! You never answered my question! Ok, I'm going, I'm going! Jk, I'll be sure to write!!!

Ok, I'm done. And my mental capacity for acting like a normal human being is in no way reflected by that digression. Really...

Ok, so why can't he be a bumblebee? His name does mean bumblebee in Old English. And is my memory slipping again? Have we discussed this before? I need a break...

Olivia Wood - Apr 30, 2003 5:44 pm (#211 of 278)
Bumblebee is too obvious.

Saralinda - Apr 30, 2003 9:06 pm (#212 of 278)
We're overlooking Rowling's propensity for punning.

DumbleDORE from GryffinDOR

And the significant dream image for Book Five is ... a DOOR!

(Although, come to think of it, that would make him an Inanimagus ...)

Pinky - May 1, 2003 3:01 am (#213 of 278)
Whooooaaaa! Saralinda - get some sleep! *snicker* Just accept it. Dumbledore is the giant squid. He's not a door or a bumblebee. He's the giant squid. You'll feel so much better if you can just believe.

Denise S. - May 1, 2003 11:51 am (#214 of 278)
Saralinda, I'm not sure if that last bit about doors came from the description for book 5, but for the neurotic among us, if you mention the pic of the cover or the description, can you please give a bit of warning? Thanks :-) (o_0)

As much as I too am in love with DIGS, I think the argument that he could be a bumblebee is not unfounded. After all, we had the blaring examples of Sirius and Remus Lupin. I wouldn't doubt that a more subtle reference could be legitimate.

BUT, like the rest of us believers, I won't change my mind till I have too! ;-)

Slytherin Prefect - May 1, 2003 12:47 pm (#215 of 278)
Or perhaps Dumbledore, being the most powerful wizard in the world until Neville finally gets trained up and gets over his fear of everything, has more than one animagus form... ^_^

::Snape is in the hall, talking to a small squid flapping around on the ground::

"Headmaster! Let me find a toilet to throw you into!"

::a bumblebee lands on Snape's shoulder::

"Sorry, Severus... That squid was put there by the Weasley twins to irritate you. I decided to be a bumblebee today." ^_^

Saralinda - May 1, 2003 1:08 pm (#216 of 278)
Denise S, duhhh, I'm really sorry about the lack of spoiler warning. May I please plead "posting after my brain shut down for the night"?

Actually, the book cover depicts a Giant Squid with a wand doing battle with a platoon of house-elves clad in Kevlar™️ battle armor and brandishing enchanted sniple rifers. Snifle ripers.

Whatever.

Cliff Hamaker - May 1, 2003 5:30 pm (#217 of 278)
Where'd they get the Kevlar, Saralinda? Wink lol

And I'm with you Denise S. I am not changing my mind until JK says to me, personally, "No, Cliff. Dumbledore is not the Giant Squid." And we all know that the chances of that happening are barely less than slim. So, I'm good! Wink

Matt Allair - May 1, 2003 5:45 pm (#218 of 278)
All the same Cliff, I have to commend the fact that George seems to have been convinced about Josh's Giant Squid theory.

You never know, maybe Dumbledore could be an mulitple Animagus!

Well have to wait and see if JKR ever answers this riddle. :-)

Matt

Denise S. - May 1, 2003 5:55 pm (#219 of 278)
(It's okay. We all have our moments of "cranial flatulation" ;-] )

Cliff Hamaker - May 1, 2003 6:04 pm (#220 of 278)
Didn't JK say that you can onl have one Animagus form? Anyone have an interview link??? I have no idea where those things are... I still have to read them all....

Carina - May 1, 2003 6:07 pm (#221 of 278)
Yes, but my belief is JKR sometimes says things in haste Wink

Cliff Hamaker - May 1, 2003 6:15 pm (#222 of 278)
Yes, I have many beliefs too. Like if I wear shorts and shortsleeves, the weather will eventually catch on and turn warm. Been working so far, but it did take all winter for it to catch on last time... And that if JK says something it is Truth. And yes, I mean Truth. At least about her novels. Wink

Olivia Wood - May 1, 2003 6:26 pm (#223 of 278)
I wouldn't put it past her to intentionally mislead us. I don't know about outright lying, but who knows really? :::stares around room suspiciously::: She's evil. It can be argued that she mislead us with the GoF death thing. ... Actually, it probably can be argued she mislead us with everything, seeing as there are so many different interpretations of her interviews... :::clears throut::: Anyway...

Carina - May 1, 2003 6:33 pm (#224 of 278)
Dumbledore is extremely powerful. If there is only one wizard who could have a double animagus form, it would be Dumbledore.

But, really, what fun would being a bumblebee be? Being a squid is SO much cooler! Besides, we've already seen the bug animagus thing with Rita.

shepherdess - May 1, 2003 9:18 pm (#225 of 278)
Edited by May 1, 2003 10:19 pm
Bumblebees can't enjoy a cool, relaxing swim on a hot afternoon or chat with the merpeople.Very Happy

Lady Arabella
Lady Arabella
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Lady Arabella Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:49 pm

Slytherin Prefect - May 2, 2003 12:26 am (#226 of 278)
Yes, Rowling has said that you can have only one animagus form.

And Rowling has made it pretty obvious that a wizard without a wand is all but powerless.

And yet we see Dumbledore at Hogwarts performing all sorts of tricks without that thing, haven't we? ^_^

Nine - May 2, 2003 11:17 am (#227 of 278)
Probably not relevant, but I recently learned that squids can change color. Of course, if there's any way to make it relevant, I'm sure one of you guys will do so.

What GoF death thing, Olivia?

Denise S - May 2, 2003 11:52 am (#228 of 278)
Ah HA!!!

Nine: "I recently learned that squids can change color."

Dumbledore says "I don't need a cloak to be invisible," but since we don't know how else you can become invisible, he must be changing colors to blend in perfectly with the background! Tricky he is! ^_^

Olivia Wood - May 2, 2003 1:18 pm (#229 of 278)
Nine, I was refering to the big deal that was made over the 'main character' dying in GoF, and then it turned out to be just Cedric. Smile

Rosariana - May 2, 2003 1:52 pm (#230 of 278)
Clever Denise! I had always wondered how he did that. It makes so much sense now! Now the DIGS theory is airtight. It explains so much!

Cliff Hamaker - May 2, 2003 6:06 pm (#231 of 278)
Rosa, it's *always* been airtight!!! Wink

Pinky - May 3, 2003 5:55 am (#232 of 278)
~*laughs myself silly* I am so glad I'm part of the Fellowship of the Giant Squid!

Cliff Hamaker - May 3, 2003 5:52 pm (#233 of 278)
Hehe! We're a Fellowship!!! Hope we won't break like that other Fellowship... Wink

Saralinda - May 3, 2003 6:07 pm (#234 of 278)
Like that other Fellowship, hmm?

One Squid to lead them all, Brave, melancholic -- One Giant Squid to head the Hall And in the dark lake frolic.

Surely someone else can do better ...

:: ducking and running ::

Cliff Hamaker - May 3, 2003 6:23 pm (#235 of 278)
ROFL!!!

You're *so* funny!

How about....

One Squid to guide them all, One Squid to teach them -- One Squid with the gall to find Voldy and smite him

This is fun!

Kochan - May 5, 2003 12:02 am (#236 of 278)
hi! can a squid blend in with plaid? what about stone? or two-tone? well, maybe if dumbledor's the squid (which never crossed my mind before now, but i'm starting to hmmm... about it) and he can do wandless magic in squid form, then maybe it would work.

Cliff Hamake - May 5, 2003 6:20 pm (#237 of 278)
I think it's one of those general color change things. Like a chameleon. However, with a *magic* Giant Squid, one never knows...

Evan - May 6, 2003 3:22 am (#238 of 278)
Cool idea! I like it. Dumbledor is the giant squid.

--Evan

Kathy Lync - May 6, 2003 7:18 am (#239 of 278)
I don't think squids change colors, actually. I thought that was cuttlefish. (Not that it matters, just saying.)

Denise S. - May 6, 2003 12:51 pm (#240 of 278)
Well, that may be true, Kathy, but like Cliff said, he's a *magic* Giant Squid. The possibilities are endless! ;-)

Nine - May 6, 2003 1:55 pm (#241 of 278)
A Biology teacher told me about squids changing color, so I think my source is fairly reliable.

Makgraf - May 7, 2003 2:11 pm (#242 of 278)
Kathy, Cuttlefish can change their skin colour. However Squids can also do this. According to the Royal British Columbia Museum's website:

Squids have an amazing ability to change their colour. Special pigment cells in the skin can expand to show dark pigment within, or contract to hide the dark colour and show a pale coloration, usually white or grey. Controlled by muscles, these cells can open and close as fast as you can open and close your eyes, making for rapid and dramatic colour changes. A squid changes colour primarily for camouflage

As well there are many more resources on the internet that document Cephalopod colour change.

Cliff Hamaker - May 7, 2003 6:52 pm (#243 of 278)
But what about an Architeuthus changing colour? Wink

Kathy Lynch - May 8, 2003 8:14 am (#244 of 278)
Ah, well thanks! I have learned something new. Always a good thing.

Jackie !Fast - May 8, 2003 5:20 pm (#245 of 278)
I was reading Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them last night and I found that "Giant Squid" isn't listed as one of the beasts. I know that not every creature from the HP world shows up in that book, but could it possibly indicate that the Squid isn't a normal magical beast? ....hmm.... Surprised)

Another possible piece of evidence! Surprised)

Cliff Hamaker - May 8, 2003 5:27 pm (#246 of 278)
What is a normal magical beast, Jackie? Wink

Denise S.[/[b] - May 8, 2003 7:33 pm (#247 of 278)
Edited by May 8, 2003 8:34 pm normal magical beast - noun - A creature that possesses certain magical abilities or properties and is not seen among Muggle wildlife; in addition to this, by being normal, it does not possess the ability to become a witch or wizard. Example: "I thought the Giant Squid was a normal magical beast, but it isn't if it's actually the animage form of Dumbledore."

:-)

[b]Marè[
- May 9, 2003 2:42 am (#248 of 278)
But giant squids are being seen among muggle wildlife, not much, but we know they exist for real. They just live very deep in the ocean ... well the normal ones that is Smile

Kathy Lynch - May 9, 2003 5:53 am (#249 of 278)
Yes, apparently the Giant FRESHWATER Squid is another thing entirely...... =}

Saralinda[/[b] - May 9, 2003 6:50 am (#250 of 278)
I don't know about that, Kathy. The plumbing at Hogwarts gets flushed into the lake. Exactly how fresh can that water be? :-Þ

[b]Gina R Snape
- May 9, 2003 8:49 am (#251 of 278)
Oh, funny Saralinda. :-)

But, grossness aside, how do we know the lake is fresh water? Maybe it's a magical saltwater lake. Perhaps Dumbledore turned it into a saltwater lake specifically so he could enjoy it as the Giant Squid, once he came to Hogwarts.

Cliff Hamaker - May 9, 2003 11:14 am (#252 of 278)
Hey, guess what I just found out? My friend had always assumed that Dumbledore was the Giant Squid! Since PS/SS! All I can say is that she must've seen something I missed all the other times i read it...

And that'd be wierd if the lake was salt water. Though entirely understandable. But do magical giant squids need salt water to live in? What if giant squids live in fresh water, get trapped in some current, carried out to sea and thats where we find them and our assumption is that they live in the sea?

I'm going to take a nap now..

Kathy Lynch - May 9, 2003 1:01 pm (#253 of 278)
Hmmm.. aren't saltwater lakes highly unusual? Isn't that why Salt Lake City is such a big deal? Wouldn't Harry have mentioned that it was salty when he was in there in GoF, since saltwater lakes are so unusual? Shouldn't i stop asking questions?

Prefect Marcus - May 9, 2003 2:01 pm (#254 of 278)
Well, a salt water lake in Great Britain would be very unusual, if not impossible. They only occur in arid or semi-arid regions. You only get a salty lake if the lake has no outlet. The climate in Great Britain is so wet, I have a hard time believing any body of water wouldn't rise until it found an outlet.

BTW, the Great Salt Lake in Utah wasn't always a salt lake. At one time it formed Lake Bonneville with an outlet to the Snake River. At its height, it was about the size as Lake Michigan. But the climate became semi-arid and the lake eventually fell below its outlet. When that happened, it became salty.

Marcus

Ricky Warner - May 9, 2003 3:15 pm (#255 of 278)
Remember in the second book Dumbledore said something along the lines of "Help will always be found at Hogwarts to those who ask for it". Yes I know this was referring to "The Phoenix, The Hat and The Sword" (does anyone else think that sounds like a sitcom?)but it could have a double meaning. If dumbledore was away from Hogwarts, where would he go? He might never have left hogwarts, he might have stayed in the Great Lake as the giant squid!

Jackie !Fast - May 9, 2003 5:06 pm (#256 of 278)
In response to Mare (sorry, I would put the accent mark but I'm not exactly sure HOW!):

I think we must assume that the Giant Squid is a magical creature of some sort, because otherwise, what would it be doing at Hogwarts? So whether or not the lake is freshwater, *this* giant squid probably wouldn't care. Surprised)

Gina R Snape - May 9, 2003 6:17 pm (#257 of 278)
Yes. I'm fairly certain any giant squid which ate bits of toast and enjoyed being tickled by the Weasley twins must surely be a magical creature.

Saralinda - May 9, 2003 6:43 pm (#258 of 278)
Jackie, if you're on a PC rather than a Mac, hold down the ALT key and press 0,2,3,2 on the NUMBER keypad. That will yield you the è you want. Under "Accessories" you probably have something called Charmap which, when brought up, will give you all the high-ASCII symbols and how to generate them.

If I've just insulted your intelligence, I beg your pardon. I know a couple Ph.Ds who haven't learned to negotiate the wonderful world of ASCII yet.

If you're on a Mac, you're out of luck, but you sure have better graphics capability than I do! Smile

Makgraf - May 9, 2003 7:02 pm (#259 of 278)
If you're on a mac you're out of luck? Actually it's even easier to write a è on a mac. Just hold down option and press ` then hit e and you'll get that accent grave over the e. Very Happy

Saralinda - May 9, 2003 7:08 pm (#260 of 278)
Y'all can see how long it's been since I did technical coaching, I guess. Wink

Jackie !Fast - May 10, 2003 8:44 pm (#261 of 278)
Thank you! èèèèè! Hurray! :-)

Marè- May 11, 2003 12:56 pm (#262 of 278)
Edited by May 11, 2003 2:25 pm
O boy, I started something with that è. I don't mind if people don't put the `on the e. I just put it there because I choose the latin word for sea as my screen name and the british happened to choose the some word for a female horse. So I made a small difference, because I didn't exactly needed to be associated with a horse.

Back on topic, sort of, any possibilities that the squid could be another kelpie, like the one in Loch Ness? That is, after all, another perfect example of an animal in a rather unsuiting ecosystem.

Slytherin Prefect - May 11, 2003 1:16 pm (#263 of 278)
Edited by May 11, 2003 2:16 pm
Except that Kelpies are supposed to remain hidden under the water, hence the fact that Nessie is so popular, as she just can't keep muggles from getting glimpses of her.

But who knows? Hogwarts is full of rule-breakers: House elves who want compensation for work, not to mention the couple hundred Gryffindors running around... It's possible our beloved giant squid is another Kelpie who just can't follow the rules...

Pinky[/[b] - May 11, 2003 3:22 pm (#264 of 278)
Or Dumbledore not following the rules about being an unregisted animagus...

[b]Saralinda[/[b] - May 11, 2003 4:23 pm (#265 of 278)
Or maybe, as others have said, he registered in the previous century. Hermione only checked the records for 1901-present, and Dumbledore is about 150 years old.

[b]Jackie !Fast
- May 11, 2003 5:02 pm (#266 of 278)
"...[the mermen's] yellowish eyes were fixed upon Harry's wand, and they looked scared. There might be a lot more of them than there were of him, but Harry could tell, by the looks on their faces, that they knew no more magic than the giant squid did." (GF26)

The giant squid *must* be an animagus. Animagi don't have magical abilities-- remember Scabbers. And a perfectly normal squid would not be hanging around the Hogwarts lake. It's the most plausible option.

Cliff Hamaker - May 11, 2003 6:18 pm (#267 of 278)
Edited by May 11, 2003 7:18 pm
Animagi *have* to have SOME magical ability. That's how they turn into animals in the first place. Second, James, Sirius, Lupin, McGonagal, and Dumbley-Dore of course, are all accomplished wizards. The other three Marauders helped Peter to become an animagus. He couldn't do it on his own.

However, still dealing with the merpeople, what about the picture of them chasing the Giant Squid? Have we discussed this before? What did we say? Or what do we say now?

Slytherin Prefect- May 11, 2003 8:43 pm (#268 of 278)
That's how Dumbledore learned Mermish. All those insults hurled at him as they chased him away at spearpoint. ^_^

Ya, it's been brought up before. ^_^

Denise S. - May 12, 2003 11:21 am (#269 of 278)
I can see where Jackie's coming from. In PS Harry and Ron (or someone at least) were talking about Scabbers, and s.o. asked Ron what Scabbers' abilities were, and Ron said something to the tune of, "Well, I dunno, none really."

That said, it doesn't make sense that a wizard in animage form wouldn't have any magical abilities. Then again, what would Harry know about the Giant Squid? If we're getting the story from Harry's point of view, we wouldn't have the inside scoop on it, after all :-).

Jackie !Fast - May 15, 2003 9:15 pm (#270 of 278)
I brought this up around post #200, and I think Cliff offered some sort of an answer, but I'm still a bit unsure. Does anybody have a good explanation for what Dumbledore was doing as the giant squid prior to his position of headmaster? I mean, it makes reasonable sense that the principal of a school can turn into a water creature to enjoy the lake, but what about before he had that position? I can just see the Snape-equivalent teacher of the era "accidentally letting it slip" at the staff table one morning that the transfiguration teacher is actually a giant squid-- it could have been like Lupin all over again (or all before, I suppose...)! ^_^

Nine - May 16, 2003 11:13 am (#271 of 278)
A giant squid Animagus (at least a registered one) might have problems, but they would be a completely different set of problems from being a werewolf. There is no stigma against Animagi; they're mostly registered for their own safety, in case something goes wrong. The giant squid has caused no harm to anyone. So Dumbledore wouldn't have any problems with that.

Ticker - May 16, 2003 4:43 pm (#272 of 278)
Jackie - maybe he was doing some international travel. I'm in South Dakota (smack dab in the middle of North America) & being a Giant Squid here would not be particularly handy. But Dumbledore is on a big island (no offence meant to my GB friends). All the continents, not to mention the exciting oceanic world, would be open to him. I'm not loaded with reference books here, but does JKR indicate where Grindenwald was from? Sounds German to me. Anyway, just a thought... intrernational travel, I mean. Well, being a squid in SD... hmmmmm...

Also, I'm for DD being the Giant Squid as an animagi, rather than transfiguring. Although I can't comment on the average intelligence of squid, it would seem difficult to pick up Mermish with the brain of a squid & be able to converse in it later as a wizard.

Carina - May 17, 2003 7:18 pm (#273 of 278)
I always thought that when you transfigured yourself you got the brain of whatever you transfigured into but if you were an Animagus (we need a verb for this), you kept your own brain capabilities. Thus, Rita can get her nasty news stories and Dumbledore can learn Mermish.

Meg L - May 17, 2003 7:57 pm (#274 of 278)
animagized?

Carina - May 17, 2003 8:08 pm (#275 of 278)
That works!

Slytherin Prefect - May 18, 2003 10:24 am (#276 of 278)
I have found in writing Dumbledore (::gets a Lockhart-type smile on his face:: "For complete details, see my fanfic." ^_^) that the only way to possibly take on this role is to just accept the fact that Dumbledore is uber and can pretty much do anything.

So, it is entirely possible that he is the sole exception to the rule, and keeps his fully wizard brain in animagus form. He is, after all, Dumbledore.

Nine - May 18, 2003 12:53 pm (#277 of 278)
Animagi keep their normal mind, SP. It may be more like that of the animal (according to Sirius in PoA), but I don't see any indication that they aren't still capable of human thoughts and memories.

Vicky Leery - May 29, 2003 12:37 pm (#278 of 278)
Things always get a bit complicated when you start talking about the fundamental differences between humans and animals.

I think that, since the Marauder's Map recognizes anamagized animagi by their human names, they definately do keep their original minds.

Lady Arabella
Lady Arabella
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down