HPLF WX Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI)

+2
Verity Weasley
Potteraholic
6 posters

Page 8 of 41 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 24 ... 41  Next

Go down

Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 Empty Story #142

Post  Verity Weasley Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:57 pm

experience you will never forget always remember.

The end? Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 2752390508

========================================

EDIT: This looks like a good place to end to me! So I declare Story #142 officially
F I N I S H E D!

Stay tuned for the posting of the official story and stats as well as the start of our 6th Anniversary story, 2 months late, in a few days' time. Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 2752390508

========================================

EDIT 2: Changed the last 2 words. Explanation and permission given in the next 2 posts.

Last edited by Potteraholic on Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:55 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : added end of story note. ~Potteraholic)
Verity Weasley
Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 Empty Story #142

Post  Potteraholic Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:50 am

Verity, I was wondering, could we change the last two words of the last two words of your post (never forget) to 'always remember'? I ask because the preceding sentence has 'unforgettable'. If you don't see this message, or think it's fine as is, I'll leave it.

Surprise your family and send them to a faraway destination, guaranteed to be unforgettable. Visit our shop in Diagon Alley and find the holiday experience you will never forget. (revision suggestion: always remember?)

I'm just posting to remind everyone that tomorrow, December 9th, is the day we begin our 6th anniversary Five Words story, albeit 2 months late! Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 2222139670 We are trying something new this year, besides using more than 5 words each like we've done in the past (10, 12, 15, and 7 words) just for a bit of a change.

Here are the comments that led us to what we will be trying this time, starting with this one.

Potteraholic on Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:53 pm - I've been wondering how to make this anniversary story different than others, regarding the word count, I mean. We've had 7, 10, 12, and 15 word stories to celebrate other years, so what else can we do? Repeat one of these other numbers? Try a new one, like 6 or 9 or 11? Or maybe we try 3 words at a time? Any and all suggestions would be welcome. Thanks! Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 2752390508

Verity Weasley on Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:27 am - If this is our sixth anniversary coming up, then maybe 6 words at a time would be appropriate. I don't know, maybe we could write a story featuring six characters or featuring the number 6 in some other way. Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 2752390508

Potteraholic on Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:23 am - Verity, thanks for the ideas! I like the idea of 6 words and 6 characters. Looking forward to what others think as well. Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 2222139670

Julia H. on Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:01 am - PAH and Verity, I really like the idea of six words and six characters. Will we decide on the six characters in advance or will they be introduced during the story as always?

Verity Weasley on Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:10 am - I think it might be fun to somehow select six characters and then try to weave them into a story. I'm not sure how we could select them though. Maybe we could each post a character name in turn, in a spoiler box, and everyone agrees not to look until we have six. Then we can reveal the selection. If some have been repeated, we can repeat the process until we have six.

Potteraholic on Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:21 am - Okay, then 2 votes carry the motion! 6 words and 6 characters, with the characters to be chosen in advance, using the spoiler box idea Verity suggested. (Let's title each character suggestion with a #, so we know when we have 6 to consider and add to if there are repeats.) Looking forward to this next story! Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 2222139670

I'll begin.

Character Suggestion #1
SPOILER: Ron Weasley

Verity Weasley on Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:54 am - Ooh, it was so tempting to look at the spoiler box, but I swear I didn't peek. It will be interesting to see if we nominate any of the same characters.

Character Suggestion #2
SPOILER: Luna Lovegood

Potteraholic on Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:31 am - Okay, since there have only been 6 people who have participated in this game, and 2 are traveling/or just passing through (Mona and azi), I am making another Character Suggestion, so we have the required 6. Verity, I encourage you to do the same, then maybe Julia and BB can suggest #s 5 and 6, respectively. And then it's the BIG REVEAL! Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 1003735042

Character Suggestion #3
SPOILER: Ginny Weasley

Julia H. on Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:38 am -

Character Suggestion #4
SPOILER: Professor Severus Snape

Betelgeuse Black on Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:52 am - Since I was mentioned, I thought I'd go ahead and throw out a character name

Character suggestion #5
SPOILER: Hedwig

Verity Weasley on Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:01 am - That was fast! I didn't think we'd get our six characters so quickly. Now that we have all six, I'm going to have a peek. Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 1003735042

Character Suggestion #6
SPOILER: Professor Gilderoy Lockhart

Edit: Can you believe it? Not a single double up! I won't spoil the surprise for you. Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 2752390508

Julia H. on Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:12 am - I've had a peek at the characters, too!

SPOILER:
I like this selection of characters. Hedwig will be in the story without Harry!

Verity Weasley on Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:22 am - Yes, it is an interesting blend of characters!

Potteraholic on Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:46 am - I LOVE our cast of 6! bounce It's a nice mix! Ron Weasley, Luna Lovegood, Ginny Weasley, Professor Severus Snape, Hedwig and Professor Gilderoy Lockhart. So... a CoS setting?

Quick Question: do we only use these 6 character's names in our story, so there's no mention of the missing Harry, for instance? Or can we mention other characters, but just have dialog, and in Hedwig's case, action, just for the 6 named characters? I would go with the latter.

Julia H. on Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:34 pm - PAH, I would go with the second option, too.

Betelgeuse Black on Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:43 pm - It's unrealistic to try and have all six words with six characters in them. Maybe we should just implement that the first and last words need six characters (or at least one of the two). Some variation on this might make it a bit easier.

Verity Weasley on Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:38 pm - BB, I don't think anyone is suggesting we only try to use words with 6 letters! Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 793915934 I think that would make our task virtually impossible!

I agree with PAH's suggestion. Only the 6 selected characters can be present in the story, but other characters can be mentioned. Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 2752390508

Potteraholic on Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:59 pm - Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 793915934 To echo what Verity said BB, no one suggested using words with six characters (_ _ _ _ _ _), but a story with only 6 characters physically present in the story. Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 1003735042 I tried to write this sentence with all six letter words, and couldn't get past 'I". Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 464751818

I will sum up the 'rules' of the next story tomorrow, but they will be short. Reading this transcript should answer any questions in advance that anyone might have. See you tomorrow! Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 2222139670

Last edited by Potteraholic on Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 Empty Re: Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI)

Post  Verity Weasley Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:26 pm

PAH, I'm happy to go with the suggested change. It does sound much better. Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 2752390508

Verity Weasley
Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume XVI, Story #142

Post  Potteraholic Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:40 am

image c/o www.stopbigmedia.com/
potterwatch
Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 Daily_prophet

Potty Five Words: "The Daily Prophet, 1st November 2011 - CLASSIFIED ADS"

Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 Daily%20prophet
Image courtesy of the Daily Prophet: www.tuggerine-cats.de/harry_potter.htm

1st November 2011
CLASSIFIED ADS
FOR SALE: Worn just once! Purple dress robes with paisley patterning and the finest silk and gold embroidery on the hem. Will suit a wizard with a flamboyant dress sense. An absolute bargain at only 3 Galleons! (Minor Snargaluff damage on the front is easily concealed with judicious placement of a silk scarf, included for free.) Send owl to Ichabod Inglewright, Walton-on-the-Naze.

WANTED: Ancient Runes translator who will be able to render the original Tales of Beedle the Bard into Mermish. Pay negotiable. Contact Professor Bathsheba, Committee for Inter-species Cooperation, Ministry of Magic.

HANDSOME MIDDLE-AGED wizard seeks accomplished magical portrait artist to capture him on canvas for posterity. Gallons of galleons on offer for the one with the best credentials. Contact Gilderoy Lockhart, St. Mungo's Hospital.

FOR SALE: autographed copy of 'The Invisible Book of Invisibility'. Never been read, bookmark included, also invisible. A steal at only five Galleons! Those interested please contact Mrs. Gertrude Gannymead, Obscurus Books.

LOST: A large purple pet toad. Last seen in Knockturn Alley on Halloween morning, in front of Borgin and Burkes. Answers to the name of Miss Amethyst. If sighted, please contact Bombina Bombeck, Knutsford.

FOR SALE: a fine brass cauldron, slightly worn, with the smallest of dents. Very thick bottom. Great for potions, poisons, or stews. Contact Hazel Hemlock, Hanging Langford.

WANTED: Assistant for busy joke shop in Diagon Alley. Must have a wicked sense of humor and a very strong immune system. Got what it takes? Contact George Weasley, Weasley's Wizard Wheezes, Diagon Alley. Salary negotiable. References not important, unless they come from notorious practical jokers.

LOST: Left shoe, purple brogue, decorated with silver curlicues along the sole. Yellow laces made from the finest dragonhide. Scorched slightly in hasty escape from angry Wimbourne Wasps supporters during the recent League Cup final. Last seen in the Ilkley Moor Stadium. Sentimental value. Reward offered. Please contact Rupert Radcliffe, Carlisle.

WANTED: To complete Chocolate Frog card collection, Herpo the Foul card. Will swap for two Albus Dumbledores, or one Merlin.
Owls to Scorpius Malfoy, Hogwarts.

ST MUNGO'S requires two trainee healers for the Spell Damage ward. Must have six good NEWTs and a cheery bedside manner. Applicants will need to do an internship for six months to assess their suitability for this position. Exemplary performance will be rewarded with free supplies of professionally recognized periodicals, such as Warts Today and Magical Phobias from New Perspectives. Send letter of application to Phyllis Phyllanthus, Janus Thickey Ward, St. Mungo's Hospital.

ROOM FOR RENT: in Diagon Alley. Suitable for a single witch or wizard. Second floor. Fireplace with Floo Network access available to share with other tenants. Low costs if tenant is prepared to help maintain property. Basic furniture provided, along with a free supply of flobberworm mucus. Pets welcome, except for puffskeins and rodents. Rent must be paid in advance. 120 galleons per six months and a deposit required. Contact Hexagon Jones, Diagon Alley.

FOUND: Relatively small Kneazle with white fur and orange stripes. One green eye and one yellow eye. 'Prudence' was discovered in a toy pram outside The Three Broomsticks in Hogsmeade. Contact Prof. W. Grubbly-Plank, c/o Hogwarts.

HOUSE FOR SALE in Godric's Hollow. Resident house-elf included. Property includes four bedrooms, a large living-room, a bathroom,
large kitchen with attached cellar and an attic. Friendly ghoul hardly ever disturbs the family at night. Spacious garden with many exotic plants and a broomstick shed haunted by previous owner. Inspections welcome. Please contact Barney Bagshot.

REGISTERED ANIMAGUS seeks employment in the retail or service sector. Great marketing skills, friendly personality, and an ability to easily adapt to new situations. Previous experience in a pet shop, where I was in charge of acquiring new animals. Qualifications: Apparition license, five NEWTs, St. Mungo's First Response Healing Certificate: Gold Standard, and GOAT (Gobstone Official Association Trainer). Languages: Spanish, Latin and Mermish. Fees negotiable. References furnished upon request. Please contact Camille Leonne.

SPECIAL EVENT! SAVE THE DATE! 10th December, Annual Ministry of Magic's Winter Fete will be held in the Atrium of the Ministry from 10 until 3. Festive stalls with crafts, gifts, games, readings, and other holiday paraphernalia. Entertainment from The Flying Wallendas, an amazing Muggle circus family, and the inimitable Weasley Wizarding Wheezes Fireworks Display. Grand Raffle prize draw with fabulous prizes from our sponsors Flourish and Blotts, and Wiseacres Wizarding Equipment. Admission: 7 Sickles for adults, 5 Sickles for seniors over 100, children 3 Sickles. See you all there!

Dreaming of a family holiday in a secluded cottage by the sea in warm, exotic climes? Or do you prefer a more adventurous trip…
riding a hippogriff and watching dragons fly around the Northern mountains? Make your dream come true with a tailor-made holiday from Ripplemere's Roving Recreations! Mention this ad when you book your trip and receive a free magically expandable hold-all, perfect for broomsticks, portkeys, Floo travel and Apparition. Also suitable for Muggle transport. Christmas gift vouchers now available. Surprise your family and send them to a faraway destination, guaranteed to be unforgettable. Visit our shop in Diagon Alley and find the holiday experience you will always remember.

* Five Words – Volume 16 Index * 

* Five Words - Volumes Index * 

* Five Words - Main Archives * 
 * Five Words - Stories Index (by topic) * 

Last edited by Potteraholic on Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:42 am; edited 2 times in total
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume XVI, Story #142 stats

Post  Potteraholic Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:04 am

potterwatch

Statistics for Story 142
ordered by first contribution to the story

User  
  # of  
  Submissions  
  Potteraholic   31  
  Verity Weasley     72  
  Mona     26  
  azi     3  
  Julia H.     33  
  Betelgeuse Black     5  
The user in red is the rightful starter of the next story. They are welcome to pass on the privilege to the user who posted the second most number of times.

Total Submissions: 170
Total Words: 850
Last Submission Date:Dec 4, 2011 10:57 pm (EST). (Verity Weasley)
Total Time to Create Story: 1 month, 3 days, 14 hours, 3 minutes

Last edited by Potteraholic on Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume XVI, Story #142 post-story comments

Post  Potteraholic Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:10 am

potterwatch

Post-Story Comments for Story #142, Volume XVI,
Potty Five Words: "The Daily Prophet, 1st November 2011 - CLASSIFIED ADS"

This story was written from Nov 1, 2011 to December 4, 2011. Six writers contributed to the story, which is 850 words long. --- of the six writers posted feedback. All times listed are EST.

- Potteraholic, December 9, 2011 8:41 am: I think the ads were great fun to read and I also enjoyed participating in the writing of these classified ads. There is a really interesting variety of material, really fantastic names of characters, locations, etc. and wonderfully creative ideas, like the free mucus offer in the room for rent ad, as just one brilliant example.

I think that, these days, we do better with the shorter 'stories' as there is less 'storyline' to follow and keep up with, making it easier for less regular participants to join in occasionally. I wonder what other short types of texts we could try writing in the future? Anyone have any ideas?

- Verity Weasley, December 9, 2011 11:39 am: Thanks for posting the previous story PAH. You did a great job with the formatting. It really adds that extra oomph to the ads. I must admit that when we were writing these, I was struggling at times to try and think of ways to make them entertaining. However, reading them all together in the Daily Prophet format, they really do look like something we might see in an official version of the newspaper. They sound authentic, and have just the right balance of wackiness and subtle humour. I love some of the details we included with these ads - the ad seeking a portrait painter was perfect for Gilderoy Lockhart! Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 2752390508 I also enjoyed some of the names we created for these ads. I know that other posters give these just as much thought as I do - although no one has commented on my choice of Camille Leonne for the animagus seeking work - did you get it? Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 464751818 Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 1003735042

- Julia H., December 9, 2011 12:38 pm: I'm really sorry I could not participate in the ads earlier. It was fun to write them - once I had got the hang of it - although very often I was in a real rush as I popped in. Very nice layout, as usual, PAH Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 2752390508; and Verity, I loved the names you invented! Camille Leonne is great! ROTFL! Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 1003735042 I also liked it when an ad was connected with an actual HP character.

- [url][/url], date time:

Last edited by Potteraholic on Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:43 am; edited 2 times in total
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 Empty Potty Game: Five Words, Happy Birthday! Year 6

Post  Potteraholic Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:31 am

Potty Game: Five Words!

Five Words is six years old (and 2 months) today! The birth of Five Words happened some time on October 9, 2005, even though the first ever Five Words post, written by the thread’s creator and Compiler Emeritus, Finn BV, clocks in on October 10, 2005, 2:17 am. The time discrepancy is due to the fact that the Forum clock had changed at various times over the past years, recalibrating the time stamps on many posts here. Note: All the anniversary smileys are care of Finn, from his previous anniversary messages. Just wanted to keep the anniversary post looking somewhat the same! Smile

The following are the words of the inimitable Finn and can be found in these three previous anniversary messages: Year 1, Year 2 1/2, and Year 3.

Since our existence, we have had dozens of members of the Harry Potter Lexicon FanFiction Forum partake in this simple yet endlessly enjoyable game. In the game, there are no boundaries, save that you must add five words, no more and no less (though there are always mistakes), to your post that continue the story told through other members' five words. Strung together, the five words will make a much, much longer story.

Please take some time to reminisce about the history of the Five Words from our 1-year birthday celebration of October 9, 2006. This little tidbit, once again, is STILL true, to the best of my knowledge… : We invented the "Potty Five Words Crown," given to the poster who held the record for most number of posts in a story; the crown, I believe, is still currently retained by Tazzygirl (Kristina), with a thrilling 176 posts in the story "Just Another Week at the Ministry" on April 23, 2006.

—Finn BV, October 10, 2008, 4:08 a.m.

I started playing Five Words 4 years ago and am so glad that Finn started this thread way back in October 2005. I wish I had been here from the start, but am happy to have found this thread in November 2007. I have had so much fun playing this game over the past 4 years, participating in the creation of some truly entertaining and amazing stories which have delved into all corners of the HP universe. In January 2008, I started helping out Finn and Tazzygirl with compiling some of the stories and posting the official stories and statistics online. Compiling a story involves typing it up, checking it for grammatical and spelling errors, counting its words, tallying its statistics, and formatting it correctly. In the summer of 2008, while I was abroad for much of the summer, PatPat came on board, helping out with the various compiling duties, as Finn and Tazzygirl's schedules made it difficult for them to participate in and monitor the thread as frequently as they had done in the past. In October of 2008, Finn "formally pass[ed] over reins of the thread" to me and it was around this time that Kip asked PatPat and me to become Hosts/Moderators on the FFF.

PatPat was an invaluable help here on Five Words. I can't imagine the years 2008 to 2009 without her sage advice and thoughtful feedback about various changes introduced in that time. And, of course, I must thank Kip Carter for all his kind support through the years I have been a Five Worder. Thanks, Kip, in the good old days, for always updating the header whenever I put in a request in the 'Questions to the Host' thread, for making many edits to my posts as requested, and for thinking that I was *gulp* Host/Moderator material. And now, a HUGE thank you to Denise for creating this forum when World Crossing ceased to exist, so we can still continue to play this game today, almost 8 months after World Crossing shut down for good.

And now, as we've reached this sixth year of Five Words, traditions calls for us to play ultimate Five Words. What's that, you ask? For this entire story, instead of posting the customary five words, we get to play more words! How 'bout we post... SIX WORDS! And not only that, but now, there's a new twist. Since it's the 6th Anniversary, and we are writing 6 words, we are also going to be writing dialogue and action for exclusively 6 characters. These are the selected 6:
- Ron Weasley
- Luna Lovegood
- Ginny Weasley
- Professor Severus Snape
- Hedwig
- Professor Gilderoy Lockhart

Only these selected 6 characters can be present in the story, but other characters can be mentioned. These characters can be introduced in any order, and can be present as many or as few times as we want... whatever makes sense in the story.

It would be helpful if folks kept track of these characters and periodically posted the names of any that had not been included in the story yet, especially as the story begins to wind down. If you have any further questions, please read this post, which is a transcript of the evolution of this idea. It's quite detailed, and should explain everything.

So, let the festivities begin, and thank you for staying by Five Words!

—Potteraholic, Dec 9, 2011 8:30 am

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 Empty Story #142 - post-story comment

Post  Potteraholic Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:41 am

Story #142 is up, as is the 6th year Anniversary message with the rules for our 6 words Anniversary story. Please read the lower part of the preceding post to find out what those rules are. Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 2752390508

cheers Congrats to Verity for writing the most submissions for our last story. She will be starting off our 6th Anniversary story shortly.

I think the ads were great fun to read and I also enjoyed participating in the writing of these classified ads. There is a really interesting variety of material, really fantastic names of characters, locations, etc. and wonderfully creative ideas, like the free mucus offer in the room for rent ad, as just one brilliant example.

I think that, these days, we do better with the shorter 'stories' as there is less 'storyline' to follow and keep up with, making it easier for less regular participants to join in occasionally. I wonder what other short types of texts we could try writing in the future? Anyone have any ideas?

Looking forward to the first 6 words of our next story! Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 2222139670
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 Empty Story #143

Post  Verity Weasley Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:39 pm

Thanks for posting the previous story PAH. You did a great job with the formatting. It really adds that extra oomph to the ads. I must admit that when we were writing these, I was struggling at times to try and think of ways to make them entertaining. However, reading them all together in the Daily Prophet format, they really do look like something we might see in an official version of the newspaper. They sound authentic, and have just the right balance of wackiness and subtle humour. I love some of the details we included with these ads - the ad seeking a portrait painter was perfect for Gilderoy Lockhart! Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 2752390508 I also enjoyed some of the names we created for these ads. I know that other posters give these just as much thought as I do - although no one has commented on my choice of Camille Leonne for the animagus seeking work - did you get it? Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 464751818 Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 1003735042

So here we are at our 6th anniversary. Five Words has been a part of my life for so long, I can't imagine my day without checking the thread. I love our little community of creative writers. I hope I'll still be posting here in another six years. Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 2752390508

So, without any further ado, here we go with our anniversary story. As PAH suggested, given our cast of characters, it makes sense for this story to be set during Chamber of Secrets.

Ginny sighed and put down her
Verity Weasley
Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Post  Julia H. Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:38 pm

quill. She had a vague feeling

I'm really sorry I could not participate in the ads earlier. It was fun to write them - once I had got the hang of it - although very often I was in a real rush as I popped in. Very nice layout, as usual, PAH Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 2752390508; and Verity, I loved the names you invented! Camille Leonne is great! ROTFL! Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 1003735042 I also liked it when an ad was connected with an actual HP character.

PAH asked if anyone had ideas for other short text types we could write. Here are a few off the top of my head - they may or may not be good ideas:

Hogwarts detention files; readers' letters to the editor of the DP or the Quibbler; answers written by students during their OWL exams (we could write various students' anwers to the same set of OWL questions); Albus Dumbledore's correspondence (like all the letters he gets and writes in the course of a single week, for example); Chocolate Frog Cards; CV's of Hogwarts teachers or MOM employees or other characters; the chapters of a book written to celebrate a special birthday /anniversary of Minerva McGonagall / Albus Dumbledore / someone else by the person's colleagues; Daedalus Diggle's secret diary of his days with the Dursleys (DH year)...
Julia H.
Julia H.
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Potteraholic Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:01 pm

• 6 words • 6 characters •
Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 Ron_5010 Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 Luna_510 Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 Ginny_10
Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 Snape_10 Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 Hedwig10 Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 Lockha10

that it was nearly dinner time                

Verity and Julia, all of my siblings are artistic and just happen to all be graphic designers, so formatting the ads, and the other newspaper 'stories' before this one, as well as Snape's and McGonagall's reports, are my own way to do something creative visually, in spite of my very limited design abilities. I'm glad you enjoyed the layout! Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 2222139670

Julia, ALL of your ideas for short texts sound like great ones to me, and I am going to include them as a link in the Bulletin Board to a post I'm going to set-up now called 'Potential Five Words Story Ideas'. Thanks for this starter set and feel free to post more when you think of them. That goes for story ideas as well, and everyone, feel free to post ideas that can be included in this central location. Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 2752390508

Verity, I KNEW there had to be something going on with Camille Leone, but I was too intent on posting about the upcoming anniversary story that I didn't catch it. Another minute or two and I would have done! Great choice! Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 1003735042

It would be amazing if we were still Five Wording here in 6 years, and even more amazing if Finn dropped in to say hello, as he occasionally tells me that he will do, over on Facebook. Yoo hoo, Finn? Are your ears ringing? Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 464751818Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 2752390508 Long live Five Words! cheers

EDIT: Not quite sure how to follow Julia's words, so I look forward to what you write, Verity, or anyone else. Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 2752390508

Last edited by Potteraholic on Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:50 pm; edited 3 times in total
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Julia H. Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:16 pm

, yet, she could not even think

Thanks, PAH, I'm glad you like my ideas. Now you've mentioned the Bulletin Board, I think the contents of the Hogwarts Bulletin Board could be interesting, too. (I think we can find there notices like the opening of the Duelling Club in Cos, the arrival of the guests in GoF, the start of the Apparition lessons in HBP and perhaps even the Weasley twins' ad seeking "guinea pigs" for their experiments in OOTP.)
Julia H.
Julia H.
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Verity Weasley Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:29 pm

how to begin to answer the

Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 2752390508 Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 2752390508 Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 2752390508

Julia, you have some really great ideas that sound like they would be a lot of fun to write. I especially love the exam question idea! Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 1003735042

PAH, maybe you could also post the Daily Prophet ads on your Facebook page. It might entice Finn back to post here, and sometimes I think it would be nice if our finished stories could have a wider audience. Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 2752390508
Verity Weasley
Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Post  Potteraholic Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:48 pm

Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 Ron_5010 Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 Luna_510 Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 Ginny_10
Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 Snape_10 Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 Hedwig10 Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 Lockha10
         • 6   y e a r s •

essay question Professor Lockhart had assigned                

I left the sentence open, in case someone wanted to write what the question was about. Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 2222139670
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Verity Weasley Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:17 pm

to retell his six greatest adventures

Spoiler:

PAH, I like your post signature! Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 2752390508
Verity Weasley
Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Post  Potteraholic Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:27 pm

• 6   y e a r s •

in order of importance. She decided                

Ginny sighed and put down her quill. She had a vague feeling that it was nearly dinner time, yet, she could not even think how to begin to answer the essay question Professor Lockhart had assigned to retell his six greatest adventures in order of importance. She decided...

Thanks, Verity. The idea came to me this morning, after I posted the 6th anniversay message, while I was washing the breakfast dishes. Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 1003735042
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Verity Weasley Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:48 pm

she needed help. Looking around the

Verity Weasley
Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Post  Potteraholic Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:24 pm

• 6   y e a r s •

library, she saw Luna sitting by                

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 Empty Story 143

Post  Mona Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:05 am

the window, absently watching the moon

Comments later. Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 2752390508

6 words
Mona
Mona
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Verity Weasley Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:30 am

which was reflected in the lake

Welcome back Mona! Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 2752390508
Verity Weasley
Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Post  Julia H. Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:15 am

below. She did not seem to

Thanks, Verity!

Welcome back, Mona!
Julia H.
Julia H.
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Potteraholic Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:44 am

• 6   y e a r s •

notice the paper airplane Ginny had                

Spoiler:

Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 2752390508 And then there were 4. Welcome back, Mona.

Verity, I didn't notice your message to me in your earlier post re: Finn and Facebook. I sent him a message, with a link to the story, which, fortunately, he will be able to open easily now since the Games thread is not in the private section of this forum anymore, making it easily viewable to all visitors. Let's see what happens. Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 2222139670 *fingers crossed*
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Verity Weasley Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:59 pm

sent in her direction. Just then

LOL PAH! Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 2752390508 It's funny sometimes how just a word or two can conjure up such a detailed image.
Verity Weasley
Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Post  Potteraholic Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:24 pm

• 6   y e a r s •

, the clock struck six. Luna turned                                

Six seemed to be an appropriate hour for our story. Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 1003735042

Verity, it's all those reading lessons I've taught about inferring over the years catching up with me, one word at a time. Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 464751818

Last edited by Potteraholic on Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Verity Weasley Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:53 pm

and waved when she saw Ginny

Very appropriate PAH. Let's see how many times we can work the number 6 into our story! Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 2752390508
Verity Weasley
Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI) - Page 8 Empty Re: Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI)

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 41 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 24 ... 41  Next