HPLF WX Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Efforts to Archive WX Threads

+9
Thom Matheson
Verity Weasley
Madam Pince
Mona
John Bumbledore
Elanor
Lady Arabella
Julia H.
Potteraholic
13 posters

Page 17 of 19 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 Empty Indexing made simple...

Post  Potteraholic Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:04 pm

LA, Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 266347159 Ooohhh, I like the red lines! But I'm also partial to green and blue, too, as they are my co-favorite colors. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 2752390508

John gave us the code to do the HR line in color a while back, but when I tried it, the color didn't show up when I used different browsers. So I decided to stick to the double HR lines. I figure, with each poster's name bolded (and in some Archivist's reposts, the entire first line) and some sort of line separator, folks should be able to tell when one post ends and another begins. But that's just me. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 2222139670

LA, indexing is not that time consuming, as long as you save the URLs as you create each new post. I have a Word document, set-up with landscape orientation (so that everything fits better on a page), with my index table template on it. Then, as each new post is created, I save its URL addy in the correct spot, and save the doc as I go. Voila! When it's time to post the index, it's all ready! Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 3845856932 That's what I've been doing with the Five Words Stories Index, and what I did with the Horcruxes thread, and a few others. Elanor figured out that time-saving tip when she first started reposting. What a great idea!

Last edited by Potteraholic on Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 Empty Re: Efforts to Archive WX Threads

Post  Denise P. Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:04 pm

I agree with shepherdess on the lines. The white/peach lines, depending on your moniter and eyesight Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 3845856932 , is not really noticible. Probably something a bit darker but not so much so that you see that first, would be a better compromise.

I made each of the moderating team a Prefect. If you have a particular House you want, I can make you a Prefect there. Just send me a message on here since I will see that soonest
Denise P.
Denise P.
Headmaster
Headmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Lady Arabella Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:20 pm

Denise, thank you for all you do for us!!!!!

An infinite amount of Special Services Awards!! Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 3735003615 Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 3735003615 Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 3735003615 Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 3735003615 Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 3735003615 Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 3735003615 Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 3735003615 Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 3735003615 Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 3735003615

RE: color separators . . .

I tried some other colors, and agree they work better than the red, and better than the white ones which barely show up on my screen.

_______________________________________ (posts 51 to 100)

and

_______________________________________ (posts 101 to 110)

I'll try a few others as well.

PAH, I couldn't get the color to work with the HR tags, and I was tired of the hyphenated lines. They were starting to look dorky.

And for the St. Mungo's thread, I've tried creating the index ahead of time, and then will fill in the post number as I go. At least, that is the theory. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 464751818 I'll see how well it works.
Lady Arabella
Lady Arabella
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 Empty Prefects can choose a House? :-D

Post  Potteraholic Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:20 pm

LA, okay, so when you post the Forum Behavior thread, I guess it should go in the 'Discussions' folder, since we don't have and 'Administration' one. (Even if we did, it would only have that one thread in it.) What do you think?

And Prefects get to choose a House? Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 3845856932 I've got to decide between Ravenclaw and Gryffindor... I'll have to sleep on it.
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Denise P. Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:47 pm

You could be a Gryffinclaw or a Ravendor Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 2281877974
Denise P.
Denise P.
Headmaster
Headmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mona Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:14 am

If you have a particular House you want, I can make you a Prefect there. Just send me a message on here since I will see that soonest.

Ooh, Denise, can you make me prefect of Hufflepuff? I'm sure there's not much demand for that house. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 2281877974

LA, I think your coloured lines look pretty. My personal preference, like PAH, is for the almost invisible white lines. I know they don't show up much, but that's why I like them. Each post already looks distictive enough, bolded and with spaces inbetween, and when reading through a number of posts, I feel the eye makes a smooth transition from one post to the other.

Anyway, I prefer variety to uniformity, so I'm glad we're each doing our own thing. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 2045820042

Thanks for the kind words about the Snape indexes. After I'd finished all the posts, I opened the header post, then opened the page again on the side, copied the post name and the shortcut of each post and used the 'link' option to format it. When I'd collected all the URLs, I cut and pasted them into the table, then used Word to add the spaces, bold, nbsp etc. PAH's and Audrey's way sounds easier though, but I preferred to do it this way.

Either way it's not too time consuming. Good luck!
Mona
Mona
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Elanor Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:13 am

We've been made prefects! Wow, Denise thanks!!!! Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 266347159 bounce
As for choosing a House, let's see... I don't think I'm bold ebough to qualify for Gryffindor but I'm sure I would have felt at home either in Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff. Being such a bookworm I guess Ravenclaw should fit me best (and it's Luna's and Flitwick's House, love them both), so I choose Ravenclaw. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 2222139670

PaH:
RE: the reposting, I can't remember if you used John's Markup Template? It really helps/will help out with some of the formatting, when you get the time.
I didn't use his template, actually I did all the formatting of the threads before I started posting them (which was before his template was available), using mostly the Find/Replace feature of Word.

Mona:
Anyway, I prefer variety to uniformity, so I'm glad we're each doing our own thing.
My thought exactly! All types of lines seem good to me and what works best for the archivist should be IMO what should come first.
Mona, the Snape threads index looks really impressive! Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 266347159

I still haven't started on reposting the Vote threads I've got but I should start on it soon. BTW, after I'm done, if anybody needs help for reposting other threads I'll be glad to help. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 2222139670

Strengthening Charms to all archivists!
Elanor
Elanor
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 Empty I'd like to be prefect in...

Post  Potteraholic Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:24 am

Denise, thanks for the idea (Gryffinclaw or a Ravendor). Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 1003735042 After sleeping on it, I've decided... GRYFFINDOR! Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 2447527733 Thanks for the new status... it really is a fun idea. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 2752390508

Elanor wrote:All types of lines seem good to me and what works best for the archivist should be IMO what should come first.
I second that! Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 2752390508 In any case, we've been reposting since late Feb/early March, and half of the threads have been reposted in that time... with hardly a ripple of feedback about line demarcations before, so discussing them now seems like a moot point, to me, anyway. But as some have mentioned, there's the yet-to-be reposted threads, so who knows what will happen? Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 2281877974 I would've liked to have done the [*HR] lines in some nice color (adding the [*HR] code was so fast and easy... just how a reposter likes things Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 464751818), but they just don't show up as anything but white on some browsers. I guess adding the code for a colored line is not that hard to insert either, but I like things that take less room on a page of formatting. So I doubled up on the HR's, and like Mona said, figured people would be able to tell posts apart using the poster's bolded name and all the space between posts as an indicator. HP readers (esp. HP Lex Forum ones) are a pretty smart bunch... I'm sure folks'll be able to work it out. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 2222139670

Looking forward to your next update, Elanor. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 2695074146 (And anyone else's, for that matter.) Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 266347159
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 Empty Well, would you look at that! :-D

Post  Potteraholic Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:10 am

Now that the mods have Prefect status with House names - that was fast Denise! - I thought it'd be fun to design some virtual t-shirts for the occasion! Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 2281877974

Made by using a 2 x 2 table grid... I recycled an idea from a coupla months ago when I designed [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. Hard to find bronze for the Ravenclaw design.

—•—      
      TEAM     
      HP      
      ARCH      
      —•—      

—•—      
      TEAM     
      HP      
      ARCH      
      —•—      

—•—      
      TEAM     
      HP      
      ARCH      
      —•—      

—•—      
      TEAM     
      HP      
      ARCH      
      —•—      
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 Empty I've Commandeered Computer Time!

Post  John Bumbledore Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:14 pm

I've posted two threads to the section folder, "Problems in the Harry Potter Books" and updated my list.

I'm working in book order and 5 is the largest with 6 being both twice the size of book 4 and half the length of the book 6 threads.

Well now, I was surprised speechless about the status of Prefect. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 1003735042 I'm wondering with the number of archivist, will we need to make more than the four houses? Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 1242326132

To Gryffinclaw, Ravendor I'll add my suggestion for Huffelclaw, Ravenpuff, Huffledor, Gryffinpuff, or how about Peverell?

Oh, Merlinian Prefect? I think, perhaps, that's too much like sorcerer's apprentice. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 2830478367

<)B^D≈

Last edited by John Bumbledore on Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:01 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Change my paragraph order so the important (on topic & emphasized) information came first, before the discussion.)
John Bumbledore
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

http://HPLF-work.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 Empty Why not have more than Prefect per House? :-)

Post  Potteraholic Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:56 am

John, I updated the table with your reposted threads. We're .36 away from actually crossing the 52% mark, so if anyone's reposted some threads recently, but hasn't posted an update, I invite them to do so. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 2752390508

as of August 2, 2011: 277/532* threads reposted! cheers A smidge away from 52%! bounce Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 266347159 bounce

John, I don't see why we can't have more than one Prefect per House.... the more, the merrier! Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 2045820042
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Denise P. Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:17 am

We do have more than one Prefect per House Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 2281877974
Denise P.
Denise P.
Headmaster
Headmaster

Back to top Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 Empty Slytherin's Prefect, still unclaimed, I think ...

Post  Potteraholic Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:24 am

See John? And Slytherin's Prefect is still unclaimed, I think ... hmmm... I have an idea of who may ask for that House. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 2752390508
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 Empty Separator Lines in Color or Doubled [hr].

Post  John Bumbledore Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:42 pm

Potteraholic wrote:John gave us the code to do the HR line in color a while back, but when I tried it, the color didn't show up when I used different browsers. So I decided to stick to the double HR lines. I figure, with each poster's name bolded (and in some Archivist's reposts, the entire first line) and some sort of line separator, folks should be able to tell when one post ends and another begins. But that's just me. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 2222139670

Lady Arabella wrote:I tried some other colors, and agree they work better than the red, and better than the white ones which barely show up on my screen.

_______________________________________ (posts 51 to 100)

and

_______________________________________ (posts 101 to 110)

I'll try a few others as well.

PAH, I couldn't get the color to work with the HR tags, and I was tired of the hyphenated lines. They were starting to look dorky.

And for the St. Mungo's thread, I've tried creating the index ahead of time, and then will fill in the post number as I go. At least, that is the theory. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 464751818 I'll see how well it works.
I duly note that both [hr] and LA's colored underline is better than my <hr color="gold"> for the simple fact that both use the BBCodes rather than HTML tags.

Another alternative I was considering was making each post a single column table and using borders between rows. This is something we should be able to do using BBCode, but I have not yet got it to work. The down side is it does take more characters per separator line.

[hr][hr]
(This BBCode uses just 8 characters per post header. )

[color=#C68E17]_______________________________________[/color]
(This uses 62 characters per post header.)

My table alternative (using LA's GoldenRod3 or #C68317 color) is coded as follows:
[table rules=rows style="border-color:#C68E17;"][tr][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]
(It uses 56 characters to begin each reply/post, 19 between each original post, and another 18 to end the table.)

Well that a few more BBCode characters added to the archive posting than I had hoped for but I think it will be supported in more browser and also avoid using HTML codes.

It is also more work in Word using search and replace to change the single [hr] to [/td][/tr][tr][td]^p as post separators.
(The ^p is what my MS Word uses to denote the Pilcrow, or paragraph termination character, for search and replace. Microsoft word has a view option to show the Pilcrow as this ¶ symbol.)
John Bumbledore
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 Empty Re: Separator Lines in Color or Doubled [hr].

Post  John Bumbledore Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:59 pm

I have started a sample using the Table rules=rows and style option to get goldenrod colored lines between the archives orginal post headers. Click [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] to see the results.

My mouse has chosen to stop working so I am editing this reply using the keyboard tab key to navigate the buttons and fields. Why is the post title (100 tabs or more) from the text edit box? Only the designers of ForuMotion dot com would know. :sad:

Well It means no title and all bbcode is typed by hand. That was the point of my rant about my mouse malfunction. Now I'll send this reply and try to "reboot" my mouse to wake it up.

Edit with mouse working again!
Code:
[table rules=rows style="border-color:#C68E17;"][tr][td]

[b]Nellie[/b] - Jan 16, 2005 9:29 am (#1 of 58)

Someone on another thread has told me that some of the data in the Da Vinci Code is a bit "dodgy". Does anyone know anymore about the Holy Grail legend? ....[content abbr. for code box]

[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[b]Phelim Mcintyre[/b] - Jan 16, 2005 10:27 am (#2 of 58)

Newton - Da Vinci code ....[content abbr. for code box]

[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[b]Weeny Owl[/b] - Jan 17, 2005 3:25 am (#3 of 58)

Oddly enough, I saw something ....[content abbr. for code box]

[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[b]Loopy Lupin[/b] - Jan 18, 2005 6:24 am (#4 of 58)

I enjoyed The DaVinci Code ....[content abbr. for code box]

[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[b]Choices[/b] - Jan 18, 2005 5:33 pm (#5 of 58)

Ah, but there are always elements of truth, even in fiction.

[/td][/tr][/table]
Example results:

Nellie - Jan 16, 2005 9:29 am (#1 of 58)

Someone on another thread has told me that some of the data in the Da Vinci Code is a bit "dodgy". Does anyone know anymore about the Holy Grail legend? ....[content abbr. for code box]

Phelim Mcintyre - Jan 16, 2005 10:27 am (#2 of 58)

Weeny Owl - Jan 17, 2005 3:25 am (#3 of 58)

Loopy Lupin - Jan 18, 2005 6:24 am (#4 of 58)

Choices - Jan 18, 2005 5:33 pm (#5 of 58)

John Bumbledore
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 Empty Cool code-work, John!

Post  Potteraholic Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:57 pm

Wow, John, great discovery! Good that you persisted and achieved success! Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 2752390508
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Mona Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:55 am

Nellie - Jan 16, 2005 9:29 am (#1 of 58)

Phelim Mcintyre - Jan 16, 2005 10:27 am (#2 of 58)

Weeny Owl - Jan 17, 2005 3:25 am (#3 of 58)

Loopy Lupin - Jan 18, 2005 6:24 am (#4 of 58)

Choices - Jan 18, 2005 5:33 pm (#5 of 58)

John, what you posted looks just like this on my screen - bolded user names, and posts seperated with a double paragraph space, which became a triple paragraph space on copying and pasting. What am I missing? Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 1242326132
Mona
Mona
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  John Bumbledore Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:10 pm

Mona wrote:John, what you posted looks just like this on my screen - bolded user names, and posts seperated with a double paragraph space, which became a triple paragraph space on copying and pasting. What am I missing? Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 1242326132
Edit: Mona, I intended to ask what browser and version (also is it mac or windows) it is that you use. It seems destined that some of the separator line method will only work most of the time and most of them will only work some of the time but I will never find a separator line that will work for most of the people most of the time. (I think I really butchered that paraphrasing of P.T. Barnum) Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 1437562208 I thought tables and and cascading "styles" sheet attributes were supposed to be supported (work in) most browsers. confused

What you are not seeing (what your browser is not showing you) are the rules (lines) between the table rows.

Look at the text in the code box and you will see the table code [Table Rules="Rows" Style="Border-Color:#C68E17;"] that uses the Rules attribute of the table tag.

This is what I see using Google Chrome.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I see simple table rows in Internet Explorer version 7. (First time I checked this; It is not what I had expected or hoped to see.)

Last edited by John Bumbledore on Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
John Bumbledore
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 Empty Update! I've posted 5 more archives.

Post  John Bumbledore Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:37 pm

I'll go update my "update post" now.
John Bumbledore
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 Empty John's Update, 8/8/11

Post  Potteraholic Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:58 pm

Great, John. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 2222139670 I've added the s to the JKR's Interviews and Website and Their Effects on Our Ideas section of the table, but as I noted in your update, with the You Know You're A Harry Potter/Lexicon Fan When… (Part A) thread, since it's listed just once in the table, and not with a separate entry/row for Parts A, B, C, D I'm going to hold off on checking that box until all parts are done.

I had a look at the You Know You're A Harry Potter/Lexicon Fan When… thread's header post, and am wondering if each of these sections:

You Know You're A Harry Potter/Lexicon Fan When... (Part A)

You Know You're A Harry Potter/Lexicon Fan When... (Part B)

You Know You're A Harry Potter/Lexicon Fan When... (Part C)

You Know You're A Harry Potter/Lexicon Fan When... (Part D)

... will have a link to the start of each part when all the reposting of that thread is complete? I only ask because when I clicked Part B to see where Part A ended, nothing happened. A lot of us have been including an index of posts in (grid/table form) in either the header post, or the one following that, so that folks reading these archives don't need to scroll down as much to get to a section of posts. They just click a link and ... voila! Just sharing this, in case you hadn't gotten a chance to look at any other archivist's reposted threads. If you already had a plan to make a linked index, then my comments are rendered moot. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 2752390508

*** continued reposting charms ***

So with John's reposted threads...

as of August 8, 2011: 281/532* threads reposted! cheers A smidge away from 53%! bounce Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 266347159 bounce
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 Empty You Know You're A Harry Potter or Lexicon Fan When… (Part A - #51 to 2936)

Post  John Bumbledore Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:53 pm

Potteraholic wrote:Great, John. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 2222139670 I've added the s to the JKR's Interviews and Website and Their Effects on Our Ideas section of the table, but as I noted in your update, with the You Know You're A Harry Potter/Lexicon Fan When… (Part A) thread, since it's listed just once in the table, and not with a separate entry/row for Parts A, B, C, D I'm going to hold off on checking that box until all parts are done.
Actually, on WX there were four threads. Parts A B & C were all full at 2,980+ posts each and another 1,600+ in the most recent of the threads. I just decided to put them all together in one archive thread.

I think I'll index on date rather than Thread Part and post number. But that index will have to wait until after I get more of my archives posted. (Unless someone else want to add indexing by significant dates; I'm not good at recognizing significance dates. It is like I have no internal sense of time nor sense of scope nor scale where time is concerned. That is a whole different story.)

Original titles were:
+ You Know You're A Harry Potter/Lexicon Fan When...
-- You Know You're A Harry Potter/Lexicon Fan When... (PART C)
-- You Know You're A Harry Potter/Lexicon Fan When... (PartB)
-- You Know You're A Harry Potter/Lexicon Fan When...(Part A)
John Bumbledore
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 Empty John's Update - You Know You're A Harry Potter/Lexicon Fan When...

Post  Potteraholic Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:26 pm

John Bumbledore wrote:Actually, on WX there were four threads. Parts A B & C were all full at 2,980+ posts each and another 1,600+ in the most recent of the threads. I just decided to put them all together in one archive thread. I think I'll index on date rather than Thread Part and post number. But that index will have to wait until after I get more archives posted.
Original titles were:
+ You Know You're A Harry Potter/Lexicon Fan When...
-- You Know You're A Harry Potter/Lexicon Fan When... (PART C)
-- You Know You're A Harry Potter/Lexicon Fan When... (PartB)
-- You Know You're A Harry Potter/Lexicon Fan When...(Part A)
Okay, John, thanks for the lowdown. I was just going by what appears in this table...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

... the accuracy of which I asked folks to check at the end of April/early May. If I needed to add more rows (1 for each of the parts), it would have been helpful to let me know this when I requested this info. a couple of months ago. (I have no time now to search the posts and make links to these requests.)

So my question, then, is a simple one. With each update you post, of each completed part, would you like me to:
1) add a √ for each part in the same box (√√√√)
2) add 3 more rows to the table, one for each part   OR
3) hold off on checking the box for that multi-volume thread until all parts are done

Thanks.

lol! , I thought from now on, all I'd have to do with those tables, would be something nice and easy... just adding some √s here and there, every week or so, and just posting quick "your threads are checked off" posts here. I wonder why I thought that... Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 2398211921 Alas, earwax!
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 Empty Scroll father... in Table 3

Post  John Bumbledore Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:23 pm

lol, PAH. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 2752390508 I think that is my fault because I have not yet sorted the thread names within the sections of the tables. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 3276373137 Time has Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 2695074146
[flown] away from me and my plans are no better than the Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 3123246341 's.

The other three threads are there but well separated from the first, most recent thread (likely because the older ones were in the sub-folder on WX).

No need to add any rows. Please add the √ for part A. I think you have counted each part (a, b, C & "current or D") separately in the total thread count so it each should be counted when posted too.
John Bumbledore
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 Empty Duplicate threads... reviewing the tables, help!

Post  Potteraholic Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:39 pm

John Bumbledore wrote:The other three threads are there but well separated from the first, most recent thread (likely because the older ones were in the sub-folder on WX).
Not anymore...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

You're all updated. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 2752390508

I'm all about making things as easy as possible for myself, so to save me some unnecessary searching in the future, I just thought I'd rearrange your section of the table now. I also noticed some other threads were not in sequential order, so I took care of that, too. In hindsight, I suppose I should have asked folks to list like things together which were similar. I just took it for granted that's how the lists had been constructed. So when I copied and pasted them into the tables in the order I was given, I didn't even think that similar things would not be close together. Alas, earwax! Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 3631154839

I decided to check the other tables, for similar discrepancies among all the Archivists' threads. Lo and behold! I found some.

Here they are:

LA, when you have the time, it would really be helpful to me if you could go through the tables, comparing the threads you have listed to be reposted against those that have been reposted already, especially Elanor's threads. (Because you two did so much Archiving, it's natural that there was some overlap.) I have looked over the tables as carefully as I can now, but as you are more familiar with what you archived, it would help having another set of eyes look at the threads listed. Thanks.

Here's what I found:
1) In the 'Hogwarts Staff' folder, you had 2 threads for: Remus Lupin and Dolores Umbridge that were separated my many rows. I figured one was a closed thread, and one a more recent one. In any case, I have put them close together for ease of reference/location.
2) In the 'Wizard, Witches...' folder, there were also 2 threads for Peter Pettigrew separated my many rows. I gather one's a closed one, the other a more recent one. They are now close togethe, like the Remus and Dolores ones.
3) You had Rufus Scrimgeour and Lord Voldemort/Tom Riddle listed in that folder, too. These were duplicate threads, as Elanor already reposted them. I've marked them in red and put an X in the box.
4) in the 'Students' folder, Draco Malfoy is also a duplicate. Mona reposted that already. I've marked it in red and put an X in the box.
5) All your Harry threads were separated (as one must have been in a closed/archived folder, etc.), so I have put all 3 close together (like in #1 and #2).

If anyone else has time to look over the tables to spot duplicates, that would be great! Having duplicates listed on the tables affects the total number of threads to be reposted, so spotting them decreases the total, which is a very GOOD thing. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 2752390508

So, because of the duplicates, our total went from 532 to 529. I thought our percentage age would increase, but since some duplicates were counted twice, we're still just a touch away from 53%. Maybe 55% by the start of term at Hogwarts? Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 3735003615 Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 2045820042

September 1st is my deadline for getting the Five Words Stories Archives done. Ten volumes of stories/stats/post-story comments reformatted/reposted, with 3 more to go... I think I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. sunny
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 Empty Revised total of threads reposted... over 53%!

Post  Potteraholic Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:44 am

I had a look at the tables again, with fresh eyes, and found some more duplicates. This brings the total of threads to repost down again, from 529 to 526, which means we have now crossed the 53% mark, by a wee bit.

This is what I found/did this morning:

1) Since Denise has posted the 'Philosophy of the Forum' thread in every folder, I put an 'X' in the box for that. (-1)

2) In the 'Wizards, Witches, Muggles, Squibs, Ghosts, Etc.', I saw 2 posts about Lily and James:
    - James and Lily Potter - LA
    - James & Lily Potter - Mona
I assumed that they were both the same, so since Mona already reposted hers, I put an 'X' in LA's box. (-1)

3) LA, in 'The World and the Harry Potter Phenomenon' you had these 2 threads listed:
    - Runes and Symbolic Meanings in the books
    - Runes and Symbolic Meanings (in the books)
I assumed that they were both the same, so I put an 'X' next to the 2nd one. (-1)

That makes 3 less threads. Again, it would be great if others could have a look at the tables to spot other duplicates I may have missed. Other sets of eyes reviewing the accuracy of this information is always appreciated, i.e. ... please HELP!

Thanks! Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 17 2752390508

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 19 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next