HPLF WX Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wizangamot Trial (Part 1): Severus Snape

Go down

Wizangamot Trial (Part 1):  Severus Snape Empty Wizangamot Trial (Part 1): Severus Snape

Post  Lady Arabella Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:26 pm

The following is an archive of material originally posted on the Harry Potter Lexicon Forum, hosted by World Crossing, which ceased operations on April 15, 2011
Lady Arabella
Lady Arabella
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Wizangamot Trial (Part 1):  Severus Snape Empty Re: Wizangamot Trial (Part 1): Severus Snape

Post  Lady Arabella Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:28 pm

Wizangamot Trial (Part 1):  Severus Snape

S.E. Jones - Dec 12, 2006 4:15 pm
Edited Jan 6, 2007 6:20 pm

* Note: there will be a second part to this poll.*

Wizengamot Trial (Part I): Severus Snape:

You have been selected to sit on the Wizengamot, the evidence and witnesses have been presented in the form of the six Harry Potter Books. The charge is being a supporter of the Dark Lord. How do you find:

A - Guilty
   B - Not Guilty

(Suggested by John Bumbledore)

This poll will be closed sometime after 12pm (Server time) on January 6, 2007.

Thom Matheson - Dec 12, 2006 4:26 pm (#1 of 47)

A, guilty as charged. And finally first on a post.

Tazzygirl - Dec 12, 2006 5:38 pm (#2 of 47)

Definitely without a doubt, A.

Liz Mann - Dec 12, 2006 5:46 pm (#3 of 47)

B. Definitely B. Too many holes in the prosecution's evidence.

Mrs Brisbee - Dec 12, 2006 5:50 pm (#4 of 47)

A. Guilty. Harry would make too convincing a witness to Dumbledore's murder and Snape's flight to vote any other way.

geauxtigers - Dec 12, 2006 8:35 pm (#5 of 47)

If you made me choose, I'd say B. Not Guilty. I'm with Liz, lots of loop holes. If it were just that he was a DE, I'd say A, but for this B. Hes playing both sides. Innocent until proven guilty! He hasn't been proven 100% guilty yet, not by Jo. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it!

Elanor - Dec 12, 2006 11:08 pm (#6 of 47)

B - Not guilty! I do agree with you Liz and Tori!

azi - Dec 13, 2006 3:50 am (#7 of 47)

As I feel that Snape's loyalties lie with himself, I would have to say B.

rambkowalczyk - Dec 13, 2006 5:36 am (#8 of 47)

B

Not a supporter of the Dark Lord.

John Bumbledore - Dec 13, 2006 10:21 am (#9 of 47)

B Not a Voldemort supporter.

I am surprised by my own vote. I was thinking A, if I remember correctly, when I suggested this as a poll question. I would, however be willing to change my vote to an A if a unanimous decision was required and I was the only (or one of a few) dissenting votes.

Severus, I believe, is most concerned with his own welfare. So I agree with Azi. Of course, doing what the Dark Lord bids only because it keeps Severus alive is a very small difference. That is why I would consider changing my vote.

John Bumbledore <)B^D˜

DJ Evans - Dec 13, 2006 11:39 am (#10 of 47)

I have to go with "B" too. As it has been said, too many holes for it to go one way or another right now.

Later, Deb

katrira - Dec 13, 2006 3:31 pm (#11 of 47)

Please forgive me if I am wrong, but I believe in Scotland, if not in the other countries of Great Britain, that there is a third choice a jury may vote, "Not Proven," which implies guilt but, as it says, the prosecution has "not met the burden of proof" as it is said here in the States. I'd definitely go for the "Not Proven" option, but as it stands: B-Not Guilty

Mediwitch - Dec 13, 2006 9:09 pm (#12 of 47)

I'd also say B, based on insufficient evidence. But boy, I can't WAIT for Book 7 to find out!

Mrs. Sirius - Dec 13, 2006 11:58 pm (#13 of 47)

I would have to say- B. Bad guys need to be put away but first we must prove without a doubt of guilt. Eyewitnesses may be biased, show me the evidence.

haymoni - Dec 14, 2006 11:30 am (#14 of 47)

B

Hey Gina - did you ever get the transcript from the Snape trial???

Ginerva Potter - Dec 14, 2006 9:57 pm (#15 of 47)

B - Not Guilty. I may be in denial, but deep down, I believe there has to be a good reason why he did what he did. We don't know the full story yet....and we are patiently waiting....waiting.....waiting for anything.....Please!!! I can hardly wait!

Anna L. Black - Dec 16, 2006 9:04 am (#16 of 47)

B. He may not be entirely on the good side, but I am sure that he isn't really a Voldemort follower.

Chemyst - Dec 17, 2006 5:05 pm (#17 of 47)

B   Even Bella has some doubts, and she ought to know if anyone does.

Finn BV - Dec 18, 2006 4:38 pm (#18 of 47)

Well, formerly, or currently? If it was every I think the answer is quite obviously A, but if it's at the end of HBP I'd have to go with B.

Esther Rose - Dec 19, 2006 10:03 am (#19 of 47)

Not enough evidence to support Snape's guilt yet. So, B.

Mattew Bates - Dec 20, 2006 11:33 am (#20 of 47)

A - there is nothing yet in canon to exonerate him of Dumbledore's death, and that has certainly supported Voldey's cause.

aggieamy - Dec 20, 2006 12:04 pm (#21 of 47)

A - Guilty as can be. So far we have a very reliable eye witness to support his guilt and nothing but unsubstaniated wild theories on his innocence.

juliebug - Dec 20, 2006 4:58 pm (#22 of 47)

A, guilty. The eyewittness's account combined with the fact that he fled the scene are enough for me at this time.

S.E. Jones - Dec 21, 2006 1:19 am (#23 of 47)

B I don't know for sure if he's just out for himself, or if he's truly loyal to Dumbledore or what, but I know he's not Voldemort's man.

Phelim Mcintyre - Dec 21, 2006 7:36 am (#24 of 47)

Having read and analysed the book I must declare my vote to be A guilty.

kaykay1970 - Dec 21, 2006 8:09 am (#25 of 47)

Guilty!

Ludicrous Patents Office - Dec 21, 2006 5:35 pm (#26 of 47)

A. Nothing can change the fact he killed the Only One He Ever Feared in front of witnesses. LPO

Neville Longbottom - Dec 22, 2006 9:29 am (#27 of 47)

B. Snape is not guilty.

wynnleaf - Dec 22, 2006 6:56 pm (#28 of 47)

B. Since your original post mentioned the evidence of all 6 books, I'd say there's ample evidence that Snape is not Voldemort's supporter. Your question was not, after all, "did Snape kill Dumbledore," but if he is LV's supporter. No, he's not.

TomProffitt - Dec 24, 2006 5:49 am (#29 of 47)

Guilty! 'Guilty!' I say! You can see it in his smug little face! --- Bernie, from The Incredibles

Actually, the correct answer is "Not Proven." There's more evidence out there somewhere, let's not convict the man until after DH. I don't like Snape and never have, I vote B, "Not Guilty."

Pinky Prime - Dec 25, 2006 4:32 pm (#30 of 47)

A Voldemort supporter would certainly try to prove their loyalty by enduring Azkaban. I just don't see anyone doing that for DD. Harry also may hold the power to influence the WW, MoM, and Wizengamot of Snape's treachery. Without (DD ?) there to speak on Snape's behalf, I would say their prejudices would convict him anyway.

I believe he is guilty!!!!!!!!!!!! (A)

Lina - Dec 26, 2006 3:51 pm (#31 of 47)

B is my vote.

Xela - Dec 26, 2006 11:41 pm (#32 of 47)

B - not guilty. He does not support the Dark Lord and it has not been proven yet that he is the one that killed DD.

journeymom - Dec 27, 2006 1:37 pm (#33 of 47)

Well, formerly, or currently? If it was every I think the answer is quite obviously A, but if it's at the end of HBP I'd have to go with B.

Has Snape Ever supported LV? Yes, he has, so the answer logically is A, guilty. Has he supported LV through out the entirety of Harry's story so far? I choose to vote B, not guilty. But it can only be my opinion at this point, not a fact, and it's because I like the character, and my opinion is colored by Alan Rickman's performance. *JKR very carefully left both options open. Even now we do not know if Snape is a LV supporter. No one can prove beyond doubt that he does or does not support LV.*

Even if he is guilty of killing Dd it does not prove he supports LV.

Has he ever supported LV? Yes. Is he now? I choose no, for admittedly illogical reasons.

================================

Oh, and this poll should be left open until January 9, just because that is Snape's birthday! =)

Good Evans - Dec 28, 2006 6:18 am (#34 of 47)

B - not guilty - working on orders of Dumbledore from the moment he changed sides!

Madam Pince - Dec 30, 2006 7:19 am (#35 of 47)

Definitely B - Not Guilty. Innocent until proven guilty, too many holes in the prosecution's case, and (the kicker for me) Dumbledore trusted him. Period, end of story (as Moody said in the movie.)

Thom Matheson - Dec 30, 2006 1:46 pm (#36 of 47)

MP are you saying that Harry's eye witness account is not to be believed?

virginiaelizabeth - Dec 30, 2006 2:05 pm (#37 of 47)

I'd say B Dumbledore trusted him, and if you can't trust Dumbledore, you can't trust anyone!

Madame Pomfrey - Dec 30, 2006 2:47 pm (#38 of 47)

I'm sorry, I'm one of the few who think he has been guilty since Voldemort’s return.  He may redeem himself at the end and I may be totally wrong but for now I feel he is guilty. "A"

Madam Pince - Dec 30, 2006 3:13 pm (#39 of 47)

Not at all, Thom. But oftentimes an eyewitness does not see exactly what they think they saw. (Remember how everyone was ready to totally dismiss Mrs. Figg's eyewitness testimony initially?) I'm in the "Dumbledore and Snape had a plan which they acted out in front of everyone" camp. I think any defense attorney worth his/her salt could pull enough facts out of canon to establish enough doubt for me.

(Oh, and I am assuming that the Wizengamot is investigating Snape's current status. As journeymom said, he clearly was a former DE, but I believe the Wizengamot already addressed that question in earlier hearings, when Dumbledore testified on his behalf? So he wouldn't be being tried twice for the same thing, right?)

journeymom - Dec 30, 2006 6:16 pm (#40 of 47)

Snape was never officially tried, was he? Dumbledore vouched for him at Karkaroff's plea bargain session, but Snape never had his own trial. Am I correct?

Madam Pince - Dec 30, 2006 8:18 pm (#41 of 47)

I don't know. I had the impression there had been an earlier hearing, because I remembered it as Dumbledore saying "As I testified earlier, Severus Snape was... blah, blah..."

TwinklingBlueEyes - Jan 1, 2007 5:56 pm (#42 of 47)

B

wingardio leviosa - Jan 3, 2007 3:04 am (#43 of 47)

A.

This is based on 6-book evidence only.

septentrion - Jan 3, 2007 1:16 pm (#44 of 47)

The wording of the charges is a bit ambiguous. Being Lord Voldemort's supporter and being a DE are two things. Narcissa supports Voldemort, yet she isn't a DE, or else she'd have been in the graveyard at the end of year 4. So, Severus Snape is a Death Eater, or is a DE again after DD's murder (I've just remembered DD testifying that he wasn't a DE anymore), but is he a supporter? I'm not sure, the books haven't convinced me in a way or another, so in doubt, I vote not guilty.

Meoshimo - Jan 4, 2007 12:59 pm (#45 of 47)

B - Severus Snape is on his own side, playing the other two to keep himself from getting killed.

Betelgeuse Black - Jan 6, 2007 2:05 pm (#46 of 47)

Hopefully I have beaten the deadline.

Snape is not innocent of all crimes but he is not proven to be a Voldemort supporter.

B.

Betelgeuse

S.E. Jones - Jan 6, 2007 7:09 pm (#47 of 47)

I'm going to close this poll out now so I can tally the results.

Results: 42 countable votes; most voted for answer in red

A - 12 of 42, 28.6% - Guilty
   B - 30 of 42, 71.4% - Not Guilty
Lady Arabella
Lady Arabella
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down