HPLF WX Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Archive of Five Words Stories

Page 9 of 19 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 19  Next

Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 9 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume VI, Story #64

Post  Potteraholic Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:27 pm

This story was first posted by Finn BV - Feb 20, 2008 5:35 am (#836 of 2989) on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

Potty Five Words: "Dean and Seamus' Strange Aussie Excursion"

“The hills are bouncy,” muttered Seamus. He and Dean were riding kangaroos in Australia.

“This has to be the strangest holiday I’ve ever been on!” shouted Dean. The sun was blazing down upon them. Above them in the air a large shadow suddenly appeared that was the exact size of an Antipodean Opaleye. Seamus looked wary. They had encountered another dragon before on their travels through China. That time they came close to being squashed when the dragon’s enormous wings hit them while they were hiking back down Mount Huashan. Dean had been knocked off his feet while scrambling over a large rock pile.

The dragon now above them was circling and looking hungrily. “If we don’t get the heck out of here we are gonna bite the dust!” Dean said, eyeing the dragon uneasily. He urged his kangaroo forward, motioning for Seamus to follow him. He could see their camp in the distance. But wait! There were Muggles looking inside their tent and completely oblivious to the fact that a dragon was flying nearby, slowly circling closer and closer to the unsuspecting group.

The kangaroos were perceptively avoiding the powerful bursts of flames from the dragon. Seamus and Dean pulled sharply on their reins and steered them toward the portkey. “If we can make it back to the village, we can return with help. I heard Ron’s brother Charlie is randomly visiting Melbourne; perhaps we can find him,” said Dean.

The portkey, a pipe, was near the road leading away from the camp. “Okay,” Seamus panted, “we’re almost there!” They both grabbed the pipe and in an instant they arrived in Melbourne. “So where did you hear Charlie would be?” Seamus asked.

“There’s this big hotel on Lygon Street. Maybe we should head there. It’s the Australian Wizarding Headquarters of Dragon Regulation.” The two set off quickly to find Charlie, with their trusty kangaroos in tow. “D’oh—let’s Apparate!” said Dean. They turned on the spot, after looking for a place to hide while they Apparated.

“Arrrrgh!” yelled Seamus. “I’m splinched!” Dean turned toward Seamus and burst out laughing. Seamus had left his hair behind. A few scraggly tufts were all that remained, making him look like a plucked chicken. Seamus felt his head sheepishly as Dean collapsed on the ground. The kangaroos jumped back, alarmed by the ruckus.

Gasping, Dean pulled himself back up. “We’ve got to find Charlie,” he said.

They ran down the street and entered the non-descript building near the corner. The lobby was tiny and cozy. They went to the nearest desk. A witch with a monocle said, “No kangaroos allowed in the building. Please leave them outside.”

“But there’s a dragon headed towards some Muggles near our tent in the Drysdale River Park area!” panted Dean.

The witch looked up, but seemed unconcerned by the news. Seamus and Dean couldn’t understand why she wasn’t worried.

“Didn’t you HEAR him?! Muggles are in danger! We got away from that brute just in time! Now we must save those poor people before the dragon gets them! Or don’t you Aussies care what happens to Muggles?” Seamus demanded.

“Of course! I’ll send a squad to check the area,” said the receptionist apologetically. She pointed her want to her throat. “Sonorus,” she whispered. “Code Green. Team 3 to the front desk. Repeat, Code Green.”

A few seconds later four wizards appeared, Charlie among them. “What’s going on?” Charlie asked. Dean and Seamus took turns explaining about the dragon. He didn’t seem at all surprised to hear about it. “Whereabouts did you last see it?”

“We’ve been tracking it all over the wilds of the outback for some time.”

“Our campsite is near Morgan Falls,” explained Dean. “It was north of the headlands, about three miles, maybe?”

“OK, let’s go. We’ll leave these kangaroos in my room. They’ll be safer there. Dragons love kangaroo meat.”

Seamus and Dean followed Charlie to his room. They quickly strapped on protective clothing. “What happened to your hair?” Charlie asked with a grin.

“Er, well, I had some trouble getting here,” Seamus offered. He looked crestfallen.

“No worries,” Charlie replied. We can travel to one of the park stations by Floo network.” He led the way to the fireplace, offering them Floo powder and grabbing three brooms from the cupboard. They departed.

When they arrived at their destination, Charlie led them up a hill, followed closely by Dean. The other members of the crew arrived shortly after. The dragon was still wheeling above but had not attacked as of yet. Muggles were running for cover under trees and screaming loudly. Others were taking their chances under some overhanging bushes.

Suddenly, the dragon swooped, its iridescent, pearly scales flashing in the hot sun. Charlie jumped on his broom and shouted an order to the three other dragon wranglers. “Helen, you prevent it from getting any closer to the people – try to divert its attention. Peter and Edmund, you need to come with me and fly above this critter so we can capture it.”

They all zoomed off. Dean and Seamus followed at a distance. They could see Helen in front of the dragon, bravely dodging its vivid red flame and shooting pink sparks from her wand. Charlie and the others yelled, “STUPEFY!” but the spell didn’t affect the Opaleye. It emitted a roar of anger and dived down towards Helen. She’d hit its eye with a Conjunctivitis curse. The dragon twisted in agony. “NOW!” Charlie yelled, and all four of them sent stunning spells aimed at its soft underbelly. With a thundering crash, the dragon fell into the trees.

“Quick, put a Disillusionment Charm on it,” said Helen.

Charlie landed neatly on the ground. Helen ran off to Obliviate the Muggles. “Dean, Seamus, help us tie him up.” Quickly the pair conjured ropes which wrapped themselves around the massive unconscious hulk.

“Right, now we need to move this fella to somewhere Muggles won’t find him and he can find plenty of sheep to eat,” said Peter.

“There’s a place just past the river that is pretty impossible to get to without magic,” suggested Edmund.

“Okay, let’s do that,” Peter agreed. Together, the six wizards raised their wands to maneuver the sleeping giant off the ground.

“Crikey!” muttered Helen. “He’s a big boy!”

Charlie nodded as it hovered above them. “Yes, it will take all of us to lower him into the valley past the Solea Falls. Full-grown Opaleyes aren’t usually this big, so I guess this one’s been feasting on ’roos and Toohey’s best.”

Everyone laughed, but stopped when the Opaleye loosed a growl and thrashed his wings uselessly. One glittering, multicolored, pupil-less eye looked around malevolently. Slowly the beast turned its head. Dean noticed and yelled, “IT’S AWAKE!”

“Calm down, you’ll agitate it!” replied Peter coolly. “All we have to do is get him over that ridge and—”

“Look! He’s almost fully awake!”

As one, they chanted, “Sonomulus Draconis.” Loud, rumbling snores erupted from its nostrils and it finally fell sound asleep.

“Right!” said Charlie. “Let’s move!” He barked orders to the team who began waving their wands.

Slowly but surely, the dragon hovered over the trees toward Solea Falls Valley. As they moved slowly beneath him, the Opaleye drifted lazily along like a large, dense iridescent cloud. Gradually they made their way into the valley and slowly lowered the gigantic animal onto the ground. A contented snore echoed around the valley, emanating from the huge snout and mouth. Charlie grinned happily. “They really are the most beautiful creatures when they’re asleep, aren’t they?” Dean and Seamus glanced at one another, amused, before Charlie reminded them, “Never tickle a sleeping dragon, of course!”

Dean and Seamus laughed and said, “Cheers, Charlie!” as they headed back to the campsite. They couldn't wait to tell their friends about this. Although it probably would be best, Dean thought, to wait until poor Seamus sported a full head of his own hair!

* Five Words – Volume 6 Index * 

* Five Words - Volumes Index * 

* Five Words - Main Archives * 
 * Five Words - Stories Index (by topic) * 

* This volume's stories, stats and post-story comments archived from WX by Verity Weasley; formatted/posted by Potteraholic

Last edited by Potteraholic on Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:42 am; edited 2 times in total
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 9 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume VI, Story #64 stats

Post  Potteraholic Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:33 pm

These stats were first posted by Finn BV - Feb 20, 2008 5:38 am (#837 of 2989) on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

Statistics for Story 64
ordered by first contribution to the story

User
  # of Submissions  
  azi   53
  Puck   42
  Finn BV   10
  megfox*   5
  Potteraholic   75
  PatPat   29
  Ticker   2
  geauxtigers!   23
  freshwater   17
  Columbine Fairy   9
The user in red is the rightful starter of the next story. They are welcome to pass on the privilege to the user who posted the second most number of times, who may in turn pass it to the user who posted the third number of times in the story, and so forth.

Total Submissions: 265
Total Words: 1325
Last Submission Date: #830, February 18, 2008, 12:22 P.M. (PatPat)
Total Time to Create Story: 5 days, 6 hours, 11 minutes.

**Please note that the times used to record the Last Submission Date and all other time-based data for these statistics were taken by subtracting 8 hours from the time that currently appears next to posts, to (approximately) reflect regular Forum time, which is based out of San Francisco, CA. (The hour is not the only number that is off; the minutes are somewhat fast as well, but the number by which they vary has not been constant across the whole posting period, and thus they will remain as they are.)

* This volume's stories, stats and post-story comments archived from WX by Verity Weasley; formatted/posted by Potteraholic

Last edited by Potteraholic on Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 9 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume VI, Story #65

Post  Potteraholic Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:34 pm

This story was first posted by Finn BV - Feb 29, 2008 2:24 am (#1100 of 2989) on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

Potty Five Words: "Dean and Seamus' Strange Irish Excursion (The Sequel)"

Dean thought the Cliffs of Moher were a damn foolish place to have a picnic. Seamus, on the other hand, thought this site was one of the coolest he’d ever seen in all of Ireland. The wind was sweeping around his fresh head of hair, tying it into knots. The sea was splashing against the rocks below, sending spray into the air and carrying it over their heads.

Dean opened his backpack and started rooting around in it for his sandwiches. “Nice of your mum to pack lunch,” he said.

“No problem, she likes interfering in these things,” replied Seamus.

“She’s not that bad! She didn’t ask any questions about where we’ve been for the past month and she didn’t comment on your new hair!” Dean reminded him.

“True,” Seamus agreed, grudgingly. “What’s on the agenda for today’s meeting?” he asked, changing the subject.

“Well, Lavender said she wanted to figure out a way to get Neville a girlfriend,” replied Dean.

Seamus raised his eyebrows. “I think Neville can get a girl on his own, without us meddling in his business. We have more important matters to discuss now that You-Know-Who is gone. I mean, there are plenty of Death Eaters still—”

Suddenly, Lavender appeared. “Ooh, this is a chilly spot for a picnic, isn’t it,” she squeaked. “Shall we move to somewhere more sheltered?”

Dean and Seamus nodded and grabbed their backpacks. “The castle’s over that ridge,” Dean pointed, happy to change locations. The walk over was a precarious one, the wind threatening to knock them down every few steps. One particularly strong gust blew sea water in their faces and Lavender tripped, falling in some mud. “Tergeo!” said Dean, putting his arm around her waist to help her up.

“Thanks,” she said, blushing, as she steadied herself. Dean smiled awkwardly and let her go quickly.

“Not at all,” he muttered. There was an embarrassed silence following this exchange, until Seamus called from ahead: “Hurry up, you two! The cave’s just over these rocks!”

“Cave? Don’t you mean castle?”

Seamus shook his head. “The castle’s still too far away; the storm’ll hit us before we reach it. I think there’ll be enough room for the three of us!”

He led them down the narrow outcrop to where a small entrance became visible.

“We’re not going in there, are we?” Lavender asked. “It doesn’t seem big enough.”

“Engorgio Cavalus!” boomed Seamus. The cave creaked softly and seemed to wobble, then settled down with a squeak. The three clambered inside, finding the cave to be large enough to fit them comfortably.

“Let’s sit down, shall we?” Dean waved his wand. Three minutes later, after much waving of his arms, three cushions appeared.

Chuckling, Seamus said, “Took you long enough.”

Dean muttered something about how solid rock interfered with spell refraction, and that making cushions appear was difficult in the dark. Seamus joked, “It’s not that dark, mate,” with a sideways glance at Lavender. She giggled as she settled onto a cushion, and motioned the other two to follow suit.

“Lumos!” Lavender murmured, and her wand tip glowed brightly, filling the cave with a soft warm light.

“So now that we’re safe, we can get down to business,” Seamus began.

“Absolutely,” Lavender said, smiling. “I have a few ideas about finding Neville a girlfriend.”

Dean and Seamus rolled their eyes. “Lavender, we have more important things to discuss. Even though Harry defeated What’s-His-Name, he had plenty of supporters that are still at large.

“The Aurors will be able to round them up,” Lavender insisted. “They’re good at that kind of thing.” She looked put out by their lack of concern for lonely Neville.

“We wouldn’t meet in Ireland,” said Dean patiently, “if we just wanted to play matchmaker for one of the heroes.”

Lavender pouted. Didn’t they understand that Neville deserved some happiness in his life for once!

“Listen, Neville had an awful year, and I—”

“No!” Seamus yelled. Something hit Dean hard on the head.

“Er, Seamus, what’s the matter?” said Lavender, looking confused. Seamus ignored her and looked on, horrified, as a rumbling noise echoed around the cavern. “Dean! Are you okay?” he shouted. Rocks were falling all around now and the ground was shaking.

“We should get out of here right now! Help me! Don’t let those screaming banshees get me!” Dean cried.

Lavender looked around anxiously, but nothing was visible through the dust. “What’s wrong with him?” she gasped. The earth below them cracked and started opening up.

“Wingardium Leviosa!” Lavender and Seamus yelled simultaneously. Unfortunately, the spell couldn’t raise the cushions and support their weight. “Let’s Apparate!” Dean exclaimed as they fell down the crack. They turned their minds to focus on their destination. They landed on their feet, behind Seamus’ house.

“Did our Enogorgio spell weaken the cave?” asked Lavender.

“I dunno, but a nice cuppa would be lovely. Maybe a biscuit or two,” said Dean.

Seamus shook his head. “We were just unlucky in our timing. Today is the annual County Clare Ceilidh Festival at O’Brien’s Castle. I forgot that they dance up a storm and cause the ground to rumble.”

“Well,” said Lavender, “now that we know what caused the earthquake, can we have a nice chat about Neville?”

“I don’t give a toss about Neville! He can look for his own girlfriend.”

“Neville’s popular now,” added Dean. “Girls think he’s the strong, silent type and are therefore attracted to him. We,” he gestured to them both, “need more help than he does.”

“Okay!” said Lavender. “Let’s find you two girlfriends! We won’t find any standing around here, in your parents’ garden, will we? Let’s go inside and talk about what qualities are important to you, and then we’ll go back home and try to find someone appropriate!”

Dean and Seamus glanced at each other warily. “Dean was exaggerating,” Seamus said quickly. “We don’t—”

“Oh no! Don’t try to back out now!” She marched into Seamus’ front yard.

“Oi! Where do you think you’re going! You just can’t waltz into the yard, where our neighbors can see you!”

“So what if they do? I’m not sure what you’re suggesting, Seamus!” Lavender’s eyes narrowed dangerously.

“Uh,” stuttered Seamus, “I—”

“Are you trying to say that I’m an embarrassment to your family?”

“What? No! Look at the state we’re in. That cave-in covered us in dust and, um, surely you don’t want people to see that hair?”

Lavender paused. “You’re right, Seamus, what was I thinking?! Dean, why didn’t you warn me? I’m not fit to be seen – even by you two!”

“You don’t look that bad. Actually, I kind of like seeing mud in your hair. This smudge on your cheek makes you look… umm… spunky, too,” said Dean, as he tried to conceal the blush covering his face with lightning speed, while gently wiping Lavender’s face. His nonverbal, anti-blushing charm backfired. His face turned brighter still.

Suddenly, Mrs. Finnigan came running down the walk. “Seamus! What’s happened? You three look a sight! How earth…? Dean, you’re as red as a Chinese Fireball! What’s going on? Where have you been? You told me that you were going on a picnic…”

“Right, Mum, but we found a cave after we ran into a storm and it collapsed all around us,” Seamus answered.

“Oh, yes, that would be the annual County Clare Ceilidh Festival at O’Brien’s Castle. Right, some tea is in order. Lavender, won’t you come inside. We can look at Seamus’ baby pictures. He was always taking off his nappies. He was such a mischievous little tyke.”

Lavender grinned. “I’d love that, Mrs. Finnigan.”

“Mum, just tea’ll do, if you don’t mind!” Seamus blushed.

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 9 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume VI, Story #65 stats

Post  Potteraholic Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:37 pm

These stats were first posted by Finn BV - Feb 29, 2008 2:28 am (#1101 of 2989) on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

Statistics for Story 65

User
  # of Submissions  
  Potteraholic   84
  Columbine Fairy   35
  azi   34
  Puck   44
  PatPat   17
  geauxtigers!   10
  Finn BV   20
  Snuffles   2
  John Bumbledore   1
  freshwater   8
The user in red is the rightful starter of the next story. They are welcome to pass on the privilege to the user who posted the second most number of times, who may in turn pass it to the user who posted the third number of times in the story, and so forth.

Total Submissions: 256
Total Words: 1280
Last Submission Date: #1096, February 26, 2008, 4:05 P.M. (PatPat)
Total Time to Create Story: 6 days, 10 hours, 25 minutes.

**Please note that the times used to record the Last Submission Date and all other time-based data for these statistics were taken by subtracting 8 hours from the time that currently appears next to posts, to (approximately) reflect regular Forum time, which is based out of San Francisco, CA. (The hour is not the only number that is off; the minutes are somewhat fast as well, but the number by which they vary has not been constant across the whole posting period, and thus they will remain as they are.)

Last edited by Potteraholic on Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 9 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume VI, Story #66

Post  Potteraholic Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:51 pm

This story was first posted by Potteraholic- Mar 10, 2008 9:55 am (#1450 of 2989) on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

Potty Five Words: "Life After Fred: George's Epiphany"

George was lonely without Fred. It had been three months since he had died and George still couldn't sleep. Every time he closed his eyes, he saw his brother's vacant stare. Sighing, George turned away from the window and went downstairs. In the kitchen, his mother was flipping through the pages of the family photo album. She was gazing intently at a picture of a red-haired baby, with the letter "F" on his woolly jumper. The picture was taken on Christmas Day, when Fred performed his first bit of magic, twirling a piece of tinsel around his head.

"Morning, Mum," said George, with forced cheeriness. Mrs. Weasley was startled as though she had been doused with ice water.

"George! I didn't hear you come down," she said as she started to busy herself with breakfast. He noticed the photo album and started to flick through its pages. One particular snapshot caught his attention.

He and Fred were about five years old. They had been teasing some chickens by blowing bubbles out of their ears. Mr. Weasley had caught them at it, but before he could transfigure them back from blue to flesh-colored, they had jumped onto the roof of the garden shed. Their dad had spent 10 minutes looking for them inside the chicken coop. Charlie had come outside with the camera. George turned and poked Fred. They smiled mischievously and waved. The next picture showed a confused Mr. Weasley holding Ginny, whose green hands were clamped around a squirming frog covered in algae. Fred had helped her catch it in the pond and George smiled at the memory of mingled shouts and laughter.

"Mum, do you remember when Fred and I first made those ever-growing quills?" he asked. He knew that his mother would recall the damage caused by their spell-casting with amusement.

Mrs. Weasley tried to smile. Her eyes, however, were misty as she quietly said, "I remember well," before turning back to the bacon sizzling in the frying pan. Footsteps sounded in the hall. Ginny walked in holding a letter. An owl flew in after her seeking a bit of bacon.

"This just came from the Ministry," Ginny announced. "It looks like it's important! It has the official seal on it. Kingsley says he wants to meet to give the Order an update on those Death Eaters that are still at large." George looked up in interest. One of them may have been the one who killed Fred. It made him angry to think of any Death Eaters going unpunished for what they did to his family.

"When is the meeting?" Molly asked. "We need to tell your father about it as he didn't go to work today."

George's dad hadn't been to work since Fred's death. He had spent a lot of time walking the countryside. "Didn't he say he'd go in today?" asked Ginny.

"He said he thought it was better to wait another day." Ginny nodded and left to visit Harry.

George sat down, thinking. What if they never found out who was responsible for Fred's death? What if the filthy scum got away and Fred was never avenged? He slammed his mug down and walked outside, thinking. He saw Ron, de-gnoming the garden, and decided to pitch in. He put all his frustration into grabbing the pests, spinning with lightning speed, and flinging them over the garden hedge. The anger bubbling inside him gradually subsided. He continued tossing gnomes until Ron said, "Looks like we're done. Do you want to check the inventory in Diagon Alley? You haven't been there in months."

George sat on the ground. "I suppose it's time I took a look there. It's just weird to think I won't have to always worry about what crazy trouble Fred will get up to. I'll miss him more than ever."

Ron cleared his throat and nodded. He reached over and put his hand on George's shoulder. "What would Fred tell you to do?"

George grinned. "He'd probably tell me to get over it and find a girlfriend. 'You're not getting any younger! And your ear is still rather spacious, I see!'"

Ron laughed and nodded. "Go on, your ear doesn't look so bad. Especially compared with those burns Charlie got while dealing with an Antipodean Opaleye."

"Yeah, but people don't see him without a dragon. The burns are part of the mystery surrounding a dragon keeper," George concluded.

At that moment their mother called from the window. "What are your plans for today? I was thinking that you two could help me to clean out the attic. The ghoul hasn't been too careful with its slime." George looked skeptically at Ron.

Frowning slightly, Ron shook his head. "Actually, Mum, George and I were going to go to Diagon Alley and work in the shop. The inventory needs to be counted since George is going to re-open next week." He looked at his brother and smiled sheepishly. Grinning back, George nodded and returned the shrug, as if a weight had suddenly lifted off his shoulders.

"That's wonderful news," Molly said smiling a weak smile. "I just thought you could use the slime in a new product or something."

George's eyes brightened. He hadn't thought about inventing since Fred had died. But now the idea of it made his heart feel light. Fred would think it was funny. "Okay Mum, we'll give you a hand."

"We will?" Ron said, looking surprised.

George smiled and suggested that they get something to collect the slime. They found some dusty jars in the broom shed and cleaned them using Scourgify. Afterwards, they went into the kitchen and rummaged in the cupboard for some biscuits.

"What are you boys looking for?" Molly asked.

"You don't expect us to go up there without some fortification, d'you Mum?" Ron grinned and grabbed a handful of chocolate-covered custard creams. George took a few ginger newts. Molly couldn't help but smile as she watched her sons act so relaxed and carefree. It had been so long since she'd seen them like that.

Just then, Arthur walked into the kitchen, holding a flashlight he'd found while walking through town. "Ah, those Muggles are so clever. Look, Lumos!," he exclaimed as he pushed a button on the side. Ron, Molly, and George grinned; seeing Arthur show interest in Muggle inventions again was a good sign. The old Arthur was beginning to shine through.

"That's remarkable, dear. Now then, shall we head up to the Ministry? A letter came from Kingsley. He wants to update the Order on the Death Eaters that are still roaming free. The meeting starts in about a half hour."

Arthur mulled this over for a moment. "Yes, let's get going straightaway. It will be good to get back to work. I dare say they could do with some more of Molly's biscuits. Kingsley particularly likes—"

"Dad, biscuits aside, news is coming! We must go!" stated Percy, who had walked in just as Arthur's praise of his mother's biscuits had finished. "I heard we need to round up a few Order members first."

Ginny nodded. She had returned with Harry and Hermione. They looked apprehensive. They had been waiting for Kingsley's message for days. The Aurors had asked Harry to remain in hiding while they caught Voldemort's supporters. Harry thought this was ridiculous and had been looking for Death Eaters without the Aurors' knowledge. Kingsley had faith in Harry and let him do what he wanted. Harry — with Neville's help — had successfully hunted down many Death Eaters.

"Right. Let's get moving," said Molly briskly. Everyone looked over at George and waited for him. He picked up the jars that they needed.

"Here," he said, giving his family a small smile.

"What do you mean?" Ginny queried.
"I need slime to continue our work with the business. There are enough Order members here to help me."

"Help you do what, George?" asked Arthur. He was thrilled to have something to do with George. He had been on a self-imposed break from family activities. Without Fred, it felt like they were all sleepwalking through life. Today, however, was different. They were waking from the nightmare. It was time to move on and rebuild their lives. Together, they could help each other pull out of the sadness and come to terms with Fred's death. It had been a horrible three months.

"There's enough time for us to collect the ghoul's slime before we go, isn't there?" George asked.

"Ghoul slime?" Hermione inquired. "Why do we need that?"

George explained how he wanted to use the slime for a new invention for the shop. Arthur smiled, but shook his head. Harry's reaction was different.

He nodded. "We need to show everyone that it's okay now to get on with life and have some fun," he said, turning to the others. "I'm glad you've decided to keep the shop open."

"Me too," George said, quietly, "but, to be fair, Ron deserves the credit for getting me to realize that I should return to our vocation. Fred would want me to resume."

Ron's ears turned pink as Hermione hugged him. "You know, these days, you say just the right thing!" she exclaimed, planting a kiss on his cheek. Ron's blush spread down to his neck.

"Well, he'd be wasting his talents if he didn't go back to building up the business," Ron said sheepishly.

Molly smiled and said, "I don't mean to rush us all, but we don't want to be late, do we?" Quickly, they all went outside. The sun was shining as they collected in a circle in the yard.

"Ginny, I'll take you with me," Harry said.

"Okay!" She smiled as he grasped her hand securely in his. Arthur and Molly exchanged glances, but said nothing.

"Everyone ready? Let's go!"

The Ministry appeared before their eyes almost instantly. Up in his office, Kingsley was awaiting their arrival.

"Nice to see everyone!" he boomed. "Especially you, Arthur and George. I'm glad to see you back here."

"Fred would've wanted me here," George said. Kingsley agreed, conjuring up bottles of butterbeer. "To Fred, Remus and Tonks, who died nobly, fighting for the good side, for what's right."

"Hear, hear!" they cried together, taking a drink.

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 9 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume VI, Story #66 stats

Post  Potteraholic Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:52 pm

These stats were first posted by Potteraholic- Mar 10, 2008 10:02 am (#1452 of 2989) on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

Statistics for Story 66

User
  # of Submissions  
  Puck   65
  Potteraholic   119
  azi   77
  freshwater   10
  PatPat   49
  geauxtigers!   13
  Finn BV   1
  Ticker   3
  Verity Weasley   5
Total Submissions: 342
Total Words: 1710
Last Submission Date: #1444, March 9, 2008, 12:14 P.M. (azi)
Total Time to Create Story: 9 days, 6 hours, 56 minutes.

Last edited by Potteraholic on Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 9 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume VI, Story #67

Post  Potteraholic Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:00 pm

This story was first posted by Potteraholic - Mar 17, 2008 11:02 am (#1745 of 2989) on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

Potty Five Words: "Presenting... the One, the Only... Gilderoy Lockhart!"

Professor Lockhart arrived at Hogwarts wearing his favorite magenta robes. He bumped into Peeves as he twirled and spun through the corridor, admiring the way his hair shone and his face reflected in the armor. "Terribly sorry Peeves, but you may have an autographed picture to show no hard feelings."

"Don't know who you are, but thanks for the confetti!" said Peeves, throwing a lot of bits of paper around.

"REPARO!" shouted an anguished Lockhart as his new book was shredded before his eyes. Professor Snape, who passed them on his way to Dumbledore's office, smirked.

"That won't help you find your teeth whitening strips, Gilderoy," he sneered.

"What? Oh! I assure you, Severus, my teeth are naturally white. Perhaps you are mistaking me with someone else. I'd never become Witch Weekly's Most-Charming-Smile Award winner if I needed whiter teeth." He flashed his most winning, sparkling smile at Snape, who had already turned and stalked away. But not before he had managed to attract the attention of Professor Trelawney.

"Oh, Professor Lockhart!" she called loudly. "Professor Snape! I have something to tell you. It's very important!" Snape ignored her, but Lockhart turned to Sybill, smiling broadly.

"What is it? Predicting my future will be filled with cherubs and roses? My grandmother told me, bless her heart, that I was a beautiful and charming baby, destined for success and stardom!" Professor Trelawney held up a playing card; the King of Clubs. She waved it in front of her, while advancing quickly towards Lockhart.

"Behold," she whispered. "This card foretells that you will lose something very dear to you... perhaps a letter, or a treasured memento, or—"

"My book! Yes, Peeves just now tore it apart! I have been unable to repair it; I think my wand is faulty. I got it as a present from the flying carpet seller I wrote about in Magical Me, my bestselling autobiography."

Snape had turned the corner already, but harrumphed noisily, with a look of disgust. "Those idiots deserve..."

The rest of his words were drowned out by the sound of Professor Trelawney, screaming, "No! Severus! You cannot go there!"

Snape turned back, snarling, "Why... what terrible, torturous, terrifying fate awaits me in this life?"

Professor Trelawney shuddered and intoned, "The future is nothing to be afraid of, if only one prepares oneself for all that may be coming. Severus, you will encounter an unusually large creature very soon. Overpowering it will be your downfall in spite of your many talents."

"Excuse me, Professor, these unsolicited so-called predictions of yours are..."

"Just fascinating!" broke in Lockhart. Snape looked murderous. Lockhart jauntily linked arms with both Snape and Trelawney, smiling happily. "Severus, come now, let us indulge in some light refreshment in the staff room, before we start the new term, shall we?

"Ah, Severus!" said Dumbledore, who suddenly had appeared behind them. "Glad to see you; we're having a party in Moaning Myrtle's bathroom. She's been decorating it the entire morning." He hummed cheerfully as they started walking towards the bathroom.

"Umm, I have a potion that I have to take off the boil," muttered Snape. Toilet paper streams hung floor to ceiling. Snape looked aghast at the unusual decorations and the punch-filled toilet bowls. Lockhart picked up one of them and something was swimming inside.

"Hello, Myrtle," Dumbledore greeted.

"Ooooooh. I'm so glad you've come! I didn't think anybody would show up."

Professor Snape looked imploringly at Dumbledore, "You can't seriously be suggesting we participate in this fiasco, Headmaster!"

"Severus," soothed Dumbledore, "have some punch, come on! You might enjoy it. The recipe came from a book written by a dear departed friend, Scarlet Smethwick. She pioneered the use of cockroaches in modern recipes."

"Sounds lovely," Snape interrupted, "but my potion will boil off and it is rather important..."

"Oh, Severus, lighten up!" exclaimed Gilderoy. "I'll fix your potion, don't you worry! Just tell me where you keep the ingredients and I'll pop down and show you how to automate potion-making! It's a lot more convenient than the old-fashioned ways. Why waste your day stirring it yourself, when you can just automate and go to a party instead?"

Myrtle cried, "He just doesn't want to be around ME! He thinks I'm pimply!" She then burst into tears.

"Oh, Myrtle," said Professor Trelawney, "He didn't want me to predict his fortunes. Sadly, dear, some choose to ignore my Inner Eye and live in the mundane, ignoring the omens of Death... "

"DEATH!" screamed Myrtle, "HAVEN'T YOU GOT ANY RESPECT FOR MY LIFE!! I'M DEAD!! NO ONE SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO TALK ABOUT DEATH IN MY PRESENCE!" With that, she dove headfirst into the punch, splashing everyone with the red liquid.

Dumbledore licked his lips and said, "Mmmm... quite tasty! I think." Snape looked down at his soaked black robes, and turned on his heel and fled.

"He probably needs my help with that stain," gloated Lockhart. "I might go and offer him my stain removing services!" Lockhart turned away, but Trelawney turned towards Dumbledore.

"Albus, I've been meaning to tell you, I have foreseen tainted cockroaches will cause you serious harm, so you should avoid anything with any hint of cockroaches." Dumbledore nodded, and thanked her, then began wiping pink spots from his beard. The party disbanded, with Moaning Myrtle sobbing in the u-bend. Dumbledore smiled and followed Professor Trelawney to the seventh floor. "It has been a nice party, Headmaster, but I feel I should return to my tower. Danger lurks everywhere," Trelawney said in a whisper.

"Goodbye, then, Sybill, and I hope we meet again soon.

"Farewell, Headmaster," and Sybill swept up the stairs to unfog her Inner Eye.

Dumbledore chuckled quietly as he made his own predictions of this year's House Cup winners. Gryffindor had won it last year. Seven long years of Slytherin domination had finally come to an end. Severus' unfair discrimination against Gryffindor House could not interfere with the Quidditch competition. Dumbledore rounded the corner lost in his thoughts, when suddenly Professor Lockhart skidded around the statue of Lachlan the Lanky and bumped into him.

"Ah, hello, Headmaster. I was just thinking to myself that the teachers would enjoy my rendition of the school song."

Dumbledore smiled absent-mindedly and said, "What a splendid idea! I am sure that they will appreciate the... mellifluous tones of your masterpiece. Why don't you demonstrate it to us tonight? I have prepared a surprise for them, and would like you to be a part of it."

Gilderoy nodded, and flashed his award-winning smile. "I'll need time to fix my—"

"LOCKHART!" Snape had turned up at that moment, a murderous look on his face, and his robes in a state of terrible disrepair. The places where the punch stains had been were now bright pink. "That stain remover you flung did this! You incompetent excuse of a wizard! How you could become Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor, I don't understand!"
"There's no need to make disparaging comments Severus," Dumbledore said, frowning. "We can all discuss it over dinner."

They started making their way down to the Great Hall. Lockhart said, "Severus, I could lend you some robes. I have one that would be perfect with your complexion. Your hair color and your dark eyes would go very well with—"

"That won't be necessary!" Snape bellowed.

"Perhaps a shampoo, then?” Lockhart suggested. "You ought to try—"

"Absolutely not! I don't believe in washing my hair! Borrowing one of your ridiculously unneeded shampoos would be against all sense! As for wearing your robes - that would be equally ridiculous! I would never dream of putting on anything you own! All that showy clothing makes me want to gouge—"

"Severus, that's enough!" Dumbledore said, clearly annoyed. "There is no reason to insult Gilderoy." Snape looked menacing, but said no more. He left quickly to find some spare robes.

"I happen to know, Headmaster, that Professor Snape was not, in fact, making a potion. He's working on a range of... creams, by the looks of things. He's planning to make—"

"What proof do you have?" asked Dumbledore.

"Sybill told me she saw it in her crystal ball. Naturally, she told me, because she knew how helpful I could be..."

"Gilderoy," said Dumbledore, "I think it may be wise not to accuse your fellow colleague of engaging in an activity he would find highly inconvenient."

Lockhart's smile wavered momentarily. He looked as though he didn't often hear the word "no". Abashed, Lockhart scurried down the hall back to his office to regain his perfect composure. Once inside, he immediately began checking his reflection in the mirror. He smiled. "Yes... charming."

Last edited by Potteraholic on Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 9 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume VI, Story #67 stats

Post  Potteraholic Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:03 pm

These stats were first posted by Potteraholic - Mar 17, 2008 11:06 am (#1747 of 2989) on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

Statistics for Story 67

User
  # of Submissions  
  Potteraholic   56
  Puck   44
  Snuffles   5
  Anna L. Black   38
  azi   21
  geauxtigers!   6
  freshwater   19
  Verity Weasley   20
  Phoenixfeather   40
  Swedish Short-Snout   37
  Ticker   2

Total Submissions: 288
Total Words: 1440
Last Submission Date: #1744, March 16, 2008, 9:44 P.M. (Phoenixfeather)
Total Time to Create Story: 6 days, 19 hours, 24 minutes.

Last edited by Potteraholic on Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 9 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume VI, Story #68

Post  Potteraholic Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:07 pm

This story was first posted by Finn BV - Mar 27, 2008 3:31 am (#2056 of 2989) on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

Potty Five Words: "The Granger-Weasleys Meet their Neighbours"

Rose and Hugo hid behind the large oak tree in the back garden and peered over into their neighbors’ garden. Their neighbors were Muggles, and they were interested in the silly things that they got up to. Once they had seen the children play with these shoes with wheels. They had told their grandfather Weasley all about them. He had told them that the Muggles were quite creative.

Today they’d been rolling on a board with wheels on the pavement outside their garden. Hugo found it very amusing. “Why do you think they’re doing that?”

“Because Grandpa Weasley said young Muggles use these instead of brooms.”

“Can it fly?” asked Hugo.

“I don’t think so.”

“We could ask them!” Hugo looked a bit apprehensive but Rose nodded.

“Yes, let’s ask them, I’m sure they will tell us!”

Hugo replied, “But what will Mum say?”

“She doesn’t have to know. Don’t be such a coward!”

“I’m not a coward!” Hugo said.

“Prove it, then,” said Rose teasingly.

“Fine! Let’s go!” Hugo grumbled as he started walking towards the Muggle children.

“Hi!” Rose called out to them. They looked surprised, but they didn’t shout or run away.

“Hi,” answered the girl. “Who are you?”

“My name is Rose. That’s my brother Hugo.” She pointed at him.

The Muggle children eyed them both with interest, Hugo leaning against the fence and Rose standing straight and proud. The self-assured pair impressed the young Muggles. “What is that you’re standing on?” asked Rose.

Hugo blurted, “Wait, who are you?”

“I’m Lola, and I’m nine years old. That’s my brother Daniel, and those others are our cousins. They’re visiting from Edinburgh, where that famous author lives. They saw her once but she wasn’t any good in person.” Lola spoke quickly.

“We never heard of her,” responded Rose. She walked closer, staring, fascinated, at the skateboard. “Can it fly?” she asked, while prodding it with her left foot.

Lola laughed. “Of course not! It’s a skateboard! Haven’t you ever seen a skateboard before?”

Hugo shook his head and said, “What does it do?”

Daniel looked at Hugo and Rose with shock. “Don’t you know what a skateboard even does? Seriously?” Lola looked as shocked as Daniel.

A murmur of surprise rippled through the assorted ranks and Rose snorted. “If you are trying to make my brother nervous, it’s working!” she said angrily.

Hugo, however, didn’t look nervous at all. In fact, he was rather enjoying seeing everyone’s reaction. He had never seen his sister stand up for him like that. “Thanks Rose. It’s okay. I don’t need defending.” He turned to the others and began to speak. “Can you show us what it does?”

Daniel jumped back on the skateboard and scooted off along the street. Seconds later he fell. “Owwwwwww! That hardly ever happens,” he said quickly, standing up and brushing the dirt off his jeans, then rubbing his elbow. A red flush started spreading across his face.

“Hugo! Rose! Where are you two!” Ron called out from the kitchen.

“We’re… ehh… in the yard,” Hugo called back, then turned to Daniel. “Murtlap Essence will help with that,” he said without thinking. He quickly covered his mouth with his hand.

“Murtlap Essence? What’s that?” asked Lola.

“Uh… uh… it’s just something my Mum uses to make our cuts heal faster.” Rose hoped his answer would be sufficient. The Muggle children, already shocked by Hugo’s ignorance of skateboards, were bound to be suspicious of anything remotely out of the ordinary.

Lola and Daniel were looking at the young Weasleys with a strong curiosity. They had never met them before, but there was talk that their neighbors were a bit odd. Strange things happened sometimes, especially when the kids were outside playing. Often, in warm evenings, the children's father, a tall red-haired balding man, played what looked like an odd combination of football and dodgeball, but the funny thing was, whenever Lola and Daniel tried to peer through the hedges, they never managed to see anything unusual.

Ron called out again, “Rose and Hugo! What are you doing? You need to come home. Where are you?” Rose and Hugo looked at each other. “Are you hiding from me?”

“No, Dad,” answered Rose. “We were just looking for our—”

“There you are! I was beginning to get worried!” he said, walking up the pavement. When he saw the children gathered around the skateboard, he looked confused.

“Er… what is this interesting… object?” Ron asked.

Lola and Daniel stared at him, absolutely gobsmacked. “Grandad Weasley would like to see that, I think. Does it fly?” He asked with interest. “How fast can you go, and how do you hold on?”

“Are you their dad then?” asked Lola, indicating Hugo and Rose.

“Yeah, why?”

“Just wonderin’. I’m Lola and this is my brother, Daniel.”

“Hello there,” Ron said, shaking their hands before indicating to his children. “What’ve they been telling you, I wonder? Nothing too outrageous, I hope?” Lola shook her head. She didn’t want Rose to get into too much trouble with her father.

But Daniel blurted out something about that healing ointment for his knee. “He said his mum uses it and it helps make cuts get better.”

“They were just showing us this stakeboard,” Hugo explained.

Skateboard, it’s called skateboard!” said Daniel.

Ron looked at his son. “Oh, a skateboard, I know all about those,” he said distractedly. “Your mum used to complain about the boys in her neighborhood riding them…” His voice trailed off as he noticed something moving in the hedge behind them. He signaled to Rose that they should move away. Just then a pair of big round eyes flashed briefly. Hermione had been pestering the house-elf about taking the garbage out. He wasn’t complying, though.

“What was that?” asked Daniel pointing at the hedge. Ron, Rose and Hugo looked as though they didn’t see anything.

Suddenly, Hermione appeared over the hedge and said, “Oh, there you all are. I wondered where you’d all gone.” She was Lola and Daniel and smiled. “So you must be our neighbors. How long have you been living here? We’re the Weasleys and we’re very pleased to meet you.”

Lola and Daniel were still staring at the place where the house-elf’s eyes appeared in the hedge. They were absolutely flummoxed and quite speechless.

“Look, dear, they have a stakeboard. You know what they’re for, don’t you? Lola and Daniel were showing us.”

“Skateboard, Ron, dear, don’t you remember me telling you about them?” Hermione replied, giving Ron a forced smile. Clearly, she was not pleased.

Daniel interjected, “I saw some big round eyes there and I intend to catch them!” He dove headfirst into the bushes, but Hermione managed to grab his ankles and get ahold of him.

“Careful!” she exclaimed. “You don’t want to get hurt, do you? Those eyes were headlights. The road is just beyond the hedge.”

“They didn’t look like headlights,” said Daniel suspiciously. He took a step closer to the bushes. “They looked like they came from over there,” he said, pointing downwards. Ron and Hermione exchanged glances.

“Mum, he hit his head before. Maybe he’s con–… con–… confused… yeah.”

“Well, I think perhaps you should take your brother home. And collect Toffy and bring…”

“But I saw the eyes too,” Lola interrupted.

Fortunately, they were interrupted. An alarming whistle sounded behind them as one of Lola’s cousins had brought some fireworks. He and the other cousins had just heard: Hibernian beat Hearts! Boom!

Everyone looked up at the sky as the fireworks burst into beautiful colors. Then the cousins cheered, “Hibernian won! They won!”

Daniel whooped with pleasure. “Wicked! Set off some more!”

“I’m not sure that’s a good idea,” said Hermione.

“But our parents gave us permission,” said a cousin matter-of-factly.

Daniel and Lola turned and went back to their house. Hermione turned to Ron and raised her eyebrows. He smiled and said, “I was doing all right ’til Toffy’s eyes appeared in the hedge.” Hermione gestured to Rose and Hugo to get back to the house.

“Goodbye, Lola and Daniel!” called Rose. “See you tomorrow!”

“I don’t think so,” said Ron. “That was a close one!”

After everyone was back in the kitchen for dinner, Hermione turned to Toffy and scolded him. “You bad elf! You were seen! You could get us into a heap of trouble!” Toffy’s lip quivered. Hermione’s look softened, then she patted the elf gently on the shoulder. “It’s okay, the fireworks happened just in time to prevent the kids from spotting you.” She stretched her arms and yawned. “I’m sure they’ll forget all about thanks to their cousins’ excitement about the results of the football game.”

“Toffy is sorry for causing any distress, Miss. Toffy will now go and finish the house-elves’ payroll.”

The elf toddled off to the next room, and Rose said, “Mum, Toffy didn’t mean any harm. He just wanted to report he wished to change the sheets without your permission.”

“Clearly, Toffy’s better at accounting for his time than I am. I just wish he’d pay himself more!” said Hermione.

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 9 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume VI, Story #68 stats

Post  Potteraholic Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:13 pm

These stats were first posted by Finn BV - Mar 27, 2008 3:36 am (#2058 of 2989) on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

Statistics for Story 68

User
  # of Submissions  
  Puck   45
  Potteraholic   80
  Orion   8
  Snuffles   9
  Swedish Short-Snout   27
  Phoenixfeather   49
  Herm oh ninny   5
  Anna L. Black   28
  geauxtigers!   10
  Verity Weasley   33
  Finn BV   10

Total Submissions: 304
Total Words: 1520
Last Submission Date: #2052, March 26, 2008, 2:22 A.M. (Finn BV)
Total Time to Create Story: 8 days, 13 hours, 29 minutes.

**In the past, the times used to record the Last Submission Date and all other time-based data for these statistics were taken by subtracting 8 hours from the time that currently appears next to posts, to (approximately) reflect regular Forum time, which is based out of San Francisco, CA. (The hour is not the only number that is off; the minutes are somewhat fast as well, but the number by which they vary has not been constant across the whole posting period, and thus they will remain as they are.) From this story and on, because it seems unlikely that Forum time will ever revert back to its original state, times in statistics will appear as you see them now, UTC time. This message will no longer appear after statistics unless the time changes again.

Last edited by Potteraholic on Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 9 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume VI, Story #69

Post  Potteraholic Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:00 pm

This story was first posted by Finn BV - Mar 30, 2008 11:35 pm (#2498 of 2989) on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

Potty Five Words: "Hogwarts: The Next Generation"

“SLYTHERIN!”

Albus removed the Sorting Hat, hands shaking, and placed it back on the stool. But he walked confidently towards the Slytherin table, where people both cheered and muttered nervously as Albus took his seat. He could feel the tension in the room. Harry Potter’s son in Slytherin? Nobody could understand how this had happened.

“Hi, I’m Scorpius,” said the pallid boy who had dropped his fork when the Sorting Hat had made its surprising announcement.

“Nice to meet you, Scorpius,” said Albus, smiling nervously. “Do you know how we get to our common room?”

Scorpius laughed. “Of course! My father knew all the secret passages and he told me exactly how to reach it. He knows this castle like the back of his hand! I can show you after the feast. I bet you are nervous about being in Slytherin.”

Albus sniffed and shrugged his shoulders. He saw his brother at the Gryffindor table staring at him in shock. He stared defiantly back. Eventually, James rolled his eyes and turned to Micheàl Finnigan.

Headmistress McGonagall had stood up at the head table. “Quiet down everyone! I have a few start-of-term notices to read from Mr. Filch.” She then proceeded to hold her usual speech regarding the school year. A few minutes later, the prefects assembled the first-year students, and everyone was off to the main hall. Albus looked around and saw his brother going up the stairs towards his dorm, while the Slytherins descended into the dark dungeons.

The Slytherin prefect, Nelson Flint, said, “Okay, now, first years to me. The password is ‘unity.’”

Albus looked at Scorpius and hoped he could fit in here. Everything was so different without James by his side. But with a new friend, hopefully, by his side, maybe things wouldn’t be so bad.

The first years were directed into the common room, where a cozy fire was blazing. To Albus’ surprise, Scorpio prodded him and whispered, “Father says there’s free food in the closet behind that statue that leads to—”

He broke off suddenly. Then he wandered off and greeted someone who he recognized. Albus was left by himself in the middle of an empty spot while everyone chatted around him. In one whirlwind of a moment, Albus felt anxious and frightened. He was away from home, he didn’t know what to do. He took a deep breath, thinking of what his father had told him: “Your friends are those who stick by you when you’re in trouble. Even if you feel completely alone, they’ll be right there.”

Bravely, Albus approached some other Slytherin first years. They looked at him haughtily before turning their backs to him and resuming their conversations. Albus sighed, and looked around. In a corner there was a very beautiful girl, curled up and staring wide-eyed at everyone. She looked as lost as Albus and surely felt just as lonely. He approached her and stuck out his hand. He wondered who she was.

“My name’s Linda Macmillan,” said the apparition, who took his small hand gently in hers.

“Nice to meet you, Linda. I’m Albus Potter. Did you get Sorted today?”

Linda nodded ruefully. “I didn’t expect to get Sorted into Slytherin,” she said. “Daddy was in Hufflepuff and Mummy was in Ravenclaw. I don’t think anyone in my family has ever—wait, there was mad, old Aunt Violetta. My parents don’t like to speak of her. She turned puppies into potions.” Albus felt his mouth drop, then smiled as Linda laughed and said, “I’m only joking!”

They both glanced around the room full of strangers. How would they ever begin to fit in with these people? Albus turned to ask Linda, “What pet did you bring with you?” Linda reached into her pocket and carefully pulled out a pink ball of fur. “This is my pygmy puff, Harold. What did you bring?” She looked around for a cage. She finally spotted one on the floor next to the fireplace. Albus knelt down and opened the door. Inside, curled up, was a niffler.

“My word, who brought this?” wondered Scorpius. I’ve always wanted one. There must be a way to tell who it belongs to.”

“Er… it’s mine,” Albus said.

“Yours?” exclaimed Scorpius. “Why, er… how’d you get one?”

“Minister Shacklebolt gave it to me. Luna, Mum and Dad’s friend, trained it not to bite.”

Scorpius was torn. He wanted a niffler badly, but didn’t think it wise to seem too interested. After all, this was the famous Harry Potter’s son! However, his curiosity got the better of him and he said, “Can I hold him?”

Her. Goldie’s shy and doesn’t like meeting new people just after she’s been woken up. She gets fidgety. But she’s much better after she’s settled into new surroundings, so I think tomorrow you will be able to.”

Scorpius shrugged his shoulders. “Yeah, okay then. Look what I’ve got.” He showed them a plump, round, golf-ball–sized piece of candy and waited for their cries of amazement. He wasn’t disappointed.

“Where did you get that?!” asked Linda. Scorpius looked very pleased. A lot like James, Albus thought, when he’s up to something. And James could be a bit of a show-off too. Albus walked over towards Scorpius, watching the ball, enthralled despite himself. “A Dragonball!”

“Yeah,” said Scorpius, as others looked at him with admiration and surrounded him, trying to catch a glimpse of the now faintly smoldering candy ball.

“Wow! That’s the top of the line, that is!” said Albus.

“I know,” said a beaming Scorpius and started ripping off a scale from the ball. He chewed it a few times, and then flames erupted from his mouth, bouncing off the damp stone walls towards Harold, and setting his fur on fire. Harold screamed.

A prefect yelled, “Aguamenti!” Water spurted out of his wand and almost drowned Harold.

Linda, half soaking wet, yelled, “YOU IDIOT! Harold? Harold? Are you alright?” and held the trembling pink ball of wet fur in front of her nose. Albus didn’t know whether to laugh or cry. The pygmy puff moaned pitifully. Linda turned to Scorpius, murder in her eyes. “You’ve got bogeys for brains, you stupid git! Can’t you think? Harold could have died! Don’t you have any sense?” She turned back to Albus, wished him goodnight, and ran into Scorpius who looked nothing short of terrified.

“I didn’t know the flames would be that big! I didn’t mean to harm anyone, I swear!”

“Those are pretty powerful—my brother had one, a long time ago. Even Uncle George thinks they’re a bit dangerous,” said a tall boy knowingly.

Scorpius nodded miserably and wandered upstairs. He was tired from all the bickering.

Linda caught up with Albus before heading upstairs. “Can you believe that prat?” asked Linda.

Albus, who found the incident rather funny didn’t want to upset her and bade her a friendly goodbye. “See you at Herbology!” he called as he walked further up to the boys’ dormitory. He entered, and saw Scorpius sitting in the room, on the bed next to his fuzzy stuffed dinosaur. He jumped and quickly put away the animal.

“So… the first night at Hogwarts, eh?” he said, pushing his glasses up his nose. “It’s—”

“Oh, be quiet!” Scorpius said loudly, his voice quivering. “I am not interested in talking about what happened in the common room! Do you understand me? Never!”

Albus rummaged in his trunk, looking for his own teddy bear. Some of its fur was missing. James had once given it a haircut to impress Lola, their cousins’ Muggle friend. Albus had always suspected that James was trying to flirt with her, which embarrassed him and Rose, his cousin, too.

“Well, good night, then Scorpius. I’ll see you in the morning.” At last, sleep.

The next morning, Albus awoke before everyone else in his dorm and went down to the Great Hall to see where Rose was sitting and if he could find James. He saw them both seated at the Gryffindor table. Rose waved when she saw him and got up and ran over to the Slytherin table, where she was greeted by jeering from a couple of seventh years leaning against the table. After a few more jeers and furious glances, which didn’t bother Rose in the least, she sat down next to Albus and smiled brightly. “How was your first night as a Slytherin?”

Just then, the post owls arrived, and one headed straight for Albus. It was a letter from home. With trembling fingers, Albus ripped it open. He recognized his father’s handwriting.

“Dear Albus,

We hope that your first night at Hogwarts was fun. Remember what I said to you at the train station? We’ll always be proud of you. Slytherin House has gained an excellent student. I’m sure you will find your way and do great things.”

Albus folded the letter. His dad’s familiar handwriting was still in his thoughts when his mother’s script on the back caught his eye. He smiled at the reminders to behave and not let James get the best of him, particularly about being in Slytherin House. Lily had sent her love. Albus tucked the letter in his pocket.

Then, he turned to answer Rose. “I made a couple of friends—well, sort of. You?”

“I went to the library and checked out Hogwarts, A History, which I read all the way through, cover to cover, last night. 9 AM is my first Transfiguration class. Too bad McGonagall doesn’t teach that subject anymore. My Mum said she was the best teacher in all of Hogwarts.”

“Well, at least I’ll see you in Potions. Hope your Transfiguration class will go fine!” Albus smiled before leaving the table. He had eaten very little breakfast, being too nervous about the first day of school. He hoped that the other Slytherin first-years would be friendly. He saw Scorpius headed toward Herbology, and hurried to catch up to him.

“So, what do you think Herbology will be like?”

Scorpius said, “Er… thanks for showing me ‘Spiders’ last night. I know you were trying to put me at ease about my Dragonball. I’m not into showing off or hurting magical creatures, which is why Harold getting hurt upset me so.”

By now, they had reached the Herbology greenhouse. Professor Longbottom was passing out potted plants. “Good morning class! Before we begin your very first Herbology lesson, there are two things we need to do. First, an introduction. I am Professor Longbottom. I have been teaching Herblogy for the past ten years here. Second, I need to tell you something very important. You don’t have to be a genius to do well. I wasn’t when I was in school. You’re here to learn as much as you can. I don’t expect you to know everything already.”

Albus rolled his eyes and glanced at Scorpius. He wanted to laugh. He had known Professor Longbottom since he’d been a baby. He’d heard “Uncle” Nev’s stories about Professor Snape, who had taught potions. Now it felt strange to see him as a teacher.

Scorpius watched Neville with a disdainful look. “I can’t believe that Longbottom got that job. I heard my Dad say that some guys at the Ministry give him credit for killing that famous snake of the Dark Lord.”

“Really?” said a nearby Ravenclaw. “That was him? You’re not serious, are you? That fat bloke—”

“Don’t you even dare to think to insult him,” snapped Albus and he turned around. But he felt the stares of the other students. He turned bright pink and looked down.

Scorpius caused a distraction by throwing his Dragonball right across the greenhouse. It landed on a Mimbulus Mimbletonia that stood innocently on the desk, but it was several minutes before sparks began to jump out of Neville’s prized plant.

“AHHHHHH! MY EYES!” shouted a Ravenclaw who had been sitting closest. Professor Longbottom whipped out his wand and shouted “Aguamenti!” A jet of water hit the screaming child and he stopped abruptly as his mouth filled with water.

“Who did that?” asked Linda, looking pointedly at Scorpius.

“It was me,” said Albus. “It accidentally flew out of my hand. I was trying to—”

“No,” interrupted Scorpius. “It was my fault. I threw it. I was only trying to prevent a fight breaking out. I didn’t do a thing to your plant, sir.”

Albus looked at Scorpius with surprise, and Scorpius grinned sheepishly. Linda watched them both, then smiled in spite of herself. “I think both of you are mental… just like me.”

“What’s going on here?” Professor Longbottom shook his head. “Now who’s responsible for this?” He asked, looking around the greenhouse. “Never mind,” he continued. “We’ve wasted enough time. Oh, Albus, Scorpius and Linda: please try to pay attention when I’m speaking. You don’t want detention on your first day, do you?” He glanced towards Albus.

“No, sir!” they said together.

Last edited by Potteraholic on Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 9 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume VI, Story #69 stats

Post  Potteraholic Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:03 pm

These stats were first posted by Finn BV - Mar 30, 2008 11:41 pm (#2500 of 2989) on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

Statistics for Story 69

User
  # of Submissions  
  Phoenixfeather   33
  Verity Weasley   30
  Anna L. Black   28
  freshwater   27
  Orion   51
  azi   24
  Puck   48
  Finn BV   53
  Snuffles   12
  Herm oh ninny   2
  Swedish Short-Snout   40
  Potteraholic   69
  Tazzygirl   13

Total Submissions: 430
Total Words: 2150
Last Submission Date: #2489, March 30, 2008, 12:44 P.M. (Potteraholic)
Total Time to Create Story: 3 days, 7 hours, 20 minutes.

Last edited by Potteraholic on Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 9 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume VI, Story #70

Post  Potteraholic Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:06 pm

This story was first posted by Potteraholic - Apr 6, 2008 8:53 pm (#2799 of 2989) on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

Potty Five Words: "A Mystery on the Hogwarts Express"

The Hogwarts Express conductor, Ben, rushed over to see what the matter was. A crowd of 6th years, including Sirius Black and James Potter, were blocking Severus Snape's way. He was trying to board the train, but the two Gryffindors were blocking his way as he ascended.

Nearly eleven o'clock, Ben thought. Time to get going. Then he noticed a tall wizard in black robes up at the engine. Puzzled, Ben went over to him to ask what he was doing. As he approached, the other wizard stood up and asked him a question about the train's departure.

"When will the train be leaving?" he asked, a curious expression on his face, while all of the fingers on his right hand clutched his wand. Ben stared intently at the wizard. His expression was unreadable. The hairs on the back of his neck started to prickle. Without thinking, he put his hand inside his robes, wand ready.

"At eleven o'clock, sir, as you know." The strange wizard smiled, gave a little bow, and walked away. Ben looked intensely at him. He seemed familiar but he couldn't think of where he'd seen hair so greasy and lank that it stuck flat to his forehead. Only one other person he knew had hair that looked like that... Severus Snape. Now he remembered... when he was at Hogwarts, a relative of Snape's had been in the year above him. He had some trouble with this person – once, Ben had been leaving Professor Dumbledore's office when Jack Snape and his friends had hexed him with a number of spells. His face had been purple for almost a week, and the tentacles had lasted even longer. Ben suffered a lot of teasing that year.

Does he remember me? That sneer...I'm sure he does... But then, why did he act as though he didn't? Just playing with my head. Ben turned around to check if the boys in the front had quit their tomfoolery. They had. He signaled to the engineer to leave the station. The train slipped from sight as it rode into the darkness.

Ben walked slowly down the corridor, lost in his thoughts. Suddenly, a hand reached out, trying to catch an Exploding Snap card. Ben startled terribly and bumped into the lunch trolley.

"All right, Mr. Bottomley?" asked the grey-haired lady who sold refreshments on the Hogwarts Express.

"Fine. Have you seen a tall man aboard the train? I saw him at the station. I thought he got on near the front of the carriages."

The door to a nearby compartment was slightly ajar. Very slowly it was pushed from within and a voice called out, "Get in here now if you know what's good for you, and make sure you shut the door!" Slowly, Ben walked in, his wand hand inside his robes, ready for any move this man might make.

"What do you want with me?"

Jack Snape eyed Ben with contempt. He had not yet spoken, but he gestured for Ben to sit in the seat opposite him. Ben sat.

"Okay, get on with it."

"What do you want?" asked Jack.

"Why are you on the train? It's traveling to Hogwarts. It's not often we get grown wizards riding along with all the students."

Jack pulled a letter out of a small pouch. He said, "Not that it's any of your business, but I'm meeting with a friend in Hogsmeade."

"What friend?" asked Ben.

Jack eyed him suspiciously and said, "You wouldn't know him. He's new to the country. He's from the Continent."

"Why not just Apparate or use Floo Powder?"

Jack didn't answer. He stared at the letter thoughtfully, contemplating his answer. Slowly, he handed Ben the letter. "Here," he said. Ben took it, wondering what it would say. It read,

Jack,

I have some bad news. I can't say too much in writing, but I'd be grateful if you could advise me on a matter of mutual interest. The investment I made on your behalf has suffered due to unforeseen circumstances. I have reason to believe that someone at Hogwarts may be to blame.

Sincere regards,
Eberhard Richter

"I see why you showed me this letter, but I'm in charge of this train. And I know you're stopping off at Hogwarts. I remember you from when we were at school, and I never trusted you then, so why should I now?"

Jack had a strange look on his face, as though it suddenly dawned on him that Ben might not be just a stranger to him, but someone he knew. Jack asked, "What's your name?"

"Ben Bottomley. Do you remember me?"

"Yes," Jack said slowly, "I need your help. I know we didn't always get along very well in school, but we're adults now. I apologize for how I treated you." Ben couldn't decide if he should trust Jack, but his instincts told him Jack wasn't lying. Jack pulled a tiny flask from his pocket. "Shall we?" he asked, offering Ben a drink.

"Thanks, but I can't. I have a duty, and I shouldn't neglect it."

Jack's eyes glittered. "Come on, a sip won't hurt," he pushed.

"I said no, Jack. Anyway, how can I help?"

"Have you ever heard of Acromantula venom? It is very rare and quite valuable. I need to get some out of the country for a friend."

Ben asked, "What does that have to do with me and my train?"

Jack hesitated before answering. "I have a package I need transported to Hogwarts. Don't ask why. I need to appear to be out of the picture."

"Is this before you try smuggling venom out of Hogwarts? NO! I'm not getting involved in this!"

"I'm working for a professor at the school. I'm not doing anything illegal."

"Which professor? None of the ones I know would smuggle! Hagrid might, for want of a dragon egg – you know, he has always wanted one – so are you bribing him?"

Jack smiled. Ben was smarter than he thought he'd be. "Will you deliver the package? Naturally, there'd be some... compensation for your troubles."

Ben seemed very uncomfortable with the idea. "I'm sorry but I don't think I should. What if we're found out? Hagrid will lose his job, and so—"

"Please!" Jack interrupted Ben with his plea. "I can't tell you how important this is! You'll be fine! It doesn't involve anything dangerous or illegal."

"Who's to blame, do you think?"

"Well..." Jack shifted uneasily in his chair. He didn't want to tell Ben about his past in Azkaban, the blackmail, or any of the other negative associations. Mundungus had warned the Order against Jack because of the time he had lost all his World Cup fame and had begun to suffer losses on his "investments". He had bet against his own team and thrown the match.

The train started shaking and the lights flickered. "I've got to get back to my duties. I'll think about what you've said but I'm not really the cloak-and-dagger sort."

Several hours later, Ben could see the distant mountains that signaled the approach to Hogsmeade. "Attention passengers, we'll be arriving in Hogsmeade in five minutes." Ben repeated this announcement, then went to the engine room to send an owl to the Ministry of Magic's Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures.

The train finally arrived at the station. Ben stepped onto the platform and was swarmed by Ministry workers. Ben pointed to the compartment Jack was in, and the workers began to board from both ends of the carriage. Students began spilling from the train. Severus ducked behind some taller students to camouflage himself from James and Sirius.

"Hello, Severus," said a tall wizard, leaning out a train door. Severus startled and looked up.

"Er... Uncle Jack? What are you doing here? Did my father—" He was interrupted as Ministry workers approached Jack in the train's corridor. The one in charge, Fabius Goodfellow, could be seen talking to Ben out on the platform. Severus quickly stalked away towards the carriages. Luckily, he just missed being caught. Jack had slipped him the dragon egg at the last second before the Magical Creature Controllers apprehended him. Jack's look of surprise was well rehearsed. He acted indignant, asking to speak to the person in charge.

Meanwhile, Severus had to somehow dispose of the egg. He had a feeling that Professor Slughorn would consider helping him to achieve that "O" in potions this year. As carriages rumbled away towards the castle and students chatted loudly, Severus was relieved that a potentially embarrassing situation had passed off so discreetly. Shame had been averted. All was well. For now...

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 9 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume VI, Story #70 stats

Post  Potteraholic Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:07 pm

These stats were first posted by Potteraholic - Apr 6, 2008 9:13 pm (#2801 of 2989) on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

Statistics for Story 70

User
  # of Submissions  
  Finn BV   9
  Potteraholic   73
  Verity Weasley   23
  Phoenixfeather   47
  Anna L. Black   6
  Snuffles   26
  azi   3
  Puck   37
  Swedish Short-Snout   24
  Herm oh ninny   6
  freshwater   15
  Orion   12
  geauxtigers   8

Total Submissions: 289
Total Words: 1445
Last Submission Date: #2791, April 5, 2008, 8:52 P.M. (freshwater)
Total Time to Create Story: 5 days, 21 hours, 7 minutes.

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 9 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume VI, Story #71

Post  Potteraholic Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:09 pm

This story was first posted by Potteraholic - Apr 10, 2008 2:04 am (#2983 of 2989) on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

Potty Five Words: "The Trophy Room Rendez-vous"

"Molly Prewett! Arthur Weasley! Why are you out of bed?" asked Professor McGonagall. She was glaring at them angrily, having just caught them sneaking into the trophy room.

Startled, Molly gulped and stammered, "Oh! We uh... thought we heard Peeves and decided to investigate."

"And you heard this from up in your dormitory?" Prof. McGonagall's eyes narrowed, but her mouth looked like it was trying to repress a smile.

"We saw him in the corridor just before entering the common room," added Arthur, his voice wavering only slightly, "and thought we should stop him from breaking something."

"And what time was this?" asked Professor McGonagall.

"Er, uh," Molly stammered.

Arthur interrupted. "It was five minutes ago, so he may already be gone by now, Professor."

"Unfortunately, that's not a reason to be gallivanting around the school at all hours." Molly
bravely lifted her eyes to meet Professor McGonagall's, her reaction a measure of her spirit. The stern teacher was taken aback by her boldness. "I want you to go back to your beds and not another word!" she added, as Molly opened her mouth to protest.

Arthur and Molly started going upstairs. When they got to the top they heard a strange sound from the other side of the portrait of the Fat Lady.

"Password?" Molly inquired above the din.

"Curmudgeon" she yawned reproachfully and entered the common room to find an owl hooting dolefully.

Arthur ran over to him. "This is my dad's owl, Herbert. I wonder what he's writing me about... I didn't ask Dad for anything." He tore the letter open and read it quickly.

"What does the letter say?" Molly asked.

"He's just reminding me to let him know if we are coming home for Christmas. Do you want to join us for our annual Boxing Day celebration? Dad always makes extra crackers for us to pull! They make really loud noises and the hats inside let you levitate two feet at least!"

"Wait!" Molly said, "What about Christmas at my parents? They really want to see me, you know. And they'd really like to meet you!"

Arthur smiled at her. "How about spending one week at each of our houses? Christmas could be at your house, and then we could do New Year's at mine. What do you think, Molly?"

Molly had wandered over to the fireplace, where a fire was dying out. "Incendio!" she cried. The fire returned and its crackling sounds filled the tense silence. "Arthur… I just don't know if my parents would want me to spend more time away from them. I'm gone most of the year, so they'll want to see me for the whole holiday." Arthur looked disappointed but did not let his initial reaction get in the way of enjoying the present moment with Molly. He smiled and sat on a cozy couch, inviting her to sit beside him. She smiled coyly before sitting down.

"That trophy you were going to show me earlier - who was it given to?"

Arthur smiled brightly. "To my brother Arnold. He was the best student in his year. He won that trophy for explaining how confusers work. Got an "O" in Muggle Studies, and–"

"What's a confuser?" asked Molly, twirling a lock of hair around her finger.

"Oh, it's a really new eclectical device; it's supposed to make Muggles' lives much easier..."

Molly yawned. "Well, that sounds ever so interesting, but I must get some sleep. I've got to write two rolls of parchment for Professor Binns in the morning." They said their goodnights and headed towards their dormitories.

"Oh, Molly," Arthur whispered, "Do you think that you'd like to meet up sometime tomorrow when we can have a look at Arnold's trophy? No one goes in around lunchtime. I can ask Nick to keep an eye out for us. Just make sure you're not late."

"I'll be there, don't worry," Molly answered.

The next day while at breakfast, Molly received a visit from Arthur's owl. A note tied around his leg invited Molly to a cozy breakfast in an empty classroom. She grinned, made an excuse to her friends, and left. When she entered the room, she was amazed to find a bountiful feast of her favorite foods, while Arthur sat on a cushion, grinning from ear to ear. He held a towering stack of pancakes while tiny Cupids flew around.

"Cupids!" Molly giggled. "In December!"

Arthur smiled and blushed. "I thought it might make up for being apart on Christmas. I know how much you want to be with your family, so I wanted to share a special breakfast with you." Molly sat down on a small purple cushion that was too small to seat her properly. She wobbled into place, but then slid right into Arthur's plate of pancakes. Blushing furiously, Molly looked up at Arthur, who was grinning and held out a hand to help her up.

"Honestly, Arthur," Molly smiled. "Did you really think I'd be able to fit on that?"

"It was the best one I could find," Arthur apologized, "but it was a bit funny, ... wasn't it?"

Molly laughed. "I didn't think it'd be so wobbly!"

"Well, Mollywobbles, would you like to use my cushion instead?"

"Mollywobbles?" Molly exclaimed.

"I think it's sweet, don't you?"

Suddenly, the door burst open. Professor McGonagall was standing there trying not to smile. "You two certainly are persistent," she said, amusedly shaking her head.

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 9 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume VI, Story #71 stats

Post  Potteraholic Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:11 pm

These stats were first posted by Potteraholic - Apr 10, 2008 2:09 am (#2984 of 2989) on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

Statistics for Story 71

User
  # of Submissions  
  Potteraholic   46
  Anna L. Black   18
  PatPat   17
  Verity Weasley   22
  freshwater   7
  Finn BV   7
  Puck   17
  Swedish Short-Snout   12
  Phoenixfeather   2
  Snuffles   20
  Herm oh ninny   1
  Orion   2
  azi   10

Total Submissions: 181
Total Words: 905
Last Submission Date: #2982, April 9, 2008, 12:44 P.M. (Verity Weasley)
Total Time to Create Story: 2 days, 15 hours, 25 minutes.

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 9 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume VII Index

Post  Potteraholic Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:03 pm

This page contains a list with links to all the stories written in Volume VII.

Five Words Stories - Volume VII

• Click on Story #72 (14 April 2008) for "Peace", Two-and-a-Half Year Anniversary Special!

• Click on Story #73 (22 April 2008) for "Mundungus Fletcher’s Downfall"

• Click on Story #74 (7 May 2008) for "The Malevolent Manticore"

• Click on Story #75 (18 May 2008) for "The First Defiance"

• Click on Story #76 (30 May 2008) for "Dumbledore’s Army: Alive and Kicking"

• Click on Story #77 (6 June 2008) for "Minerva’s Mistake, A Lesson Learned"

• Click on Story #78 (13 June 2008) for "Marauder Rescue"

• Click on Story #79 (18 June 2008) for "Expecto Patronum!"

• Click on Story #80 (24 June 2008) for "Hungarian Rhapsody"

• Click on Story #81 (27 June 2008) for "Lost and Found"

There are no post-story comments in this volume. See explanatory NOTE in the header post.

Last edited by Potteraholic on Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:54 am; edited 3 times in total
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 9 Empty Potty Game: Five Words, Happy Birthday! Year 2 1/2

Post  Potteraholic Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:46 pm

This post was originally made by Finn BV - Apr 10, 2008 3:39 am (#1 of 2994)

Potty Game: Five Words!

Just a few hours ago, the "Potty Game: Five Words" turned two-and-a-half years old. Since our existence, we have had dozens of members of the Harry Potter Lexicon FanFiction Forum partake in this simple yet endlessly enjoyable game. In the game, there are no boundaries, save that you must add five words, no more and no less (though there are always mistakes Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 9 2752390508), to your post that continue the story told through other members' five words. Strung together, the five words will make a much, much longer story.

I'm not going to repeat all the history, which can be found in our last birthday celebration of October 9, 2006, which I recommend you read when you finish this post. I have decided to hold a two-and-a-half-year celebration not because of its mystical symbolism (ooh… half of the amount of words you're allowed to post!) but… well… we missed our second birthday. Just flat out missed it. So, what better excuse to celebrate than with an unbirthday, as Eeyore would say? (Is it Eeyore? Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Anyway, one little tidbit from the old post I'd like to keep in because it is STILL true, to the best of my knowledge (Potteraholic may correct me on this one): We invented the "Potty Five Words Crown," given to the poster who held the record for most number of posts in a story; the crown, I believe, is still currently retained by Tazzygirl (Kristina), with a thrilling 176 posts in the story "Just Another Week at the Ministry" on April 23, 2006.

I owe many, many thanks to Kristina and Potteraholic, who have been indisposable in the workings of this game. We've all had our periods where we come and go from the thread, due to circumstances we all wish we could control. As I work my way deeper into high school, time for other stuff gets cut short and it has been these two who have been instrumental in the prolonging of Five Words. You two do not know my sincere gratitude I have for your devotion to and love of Five Words.

We also all owe extra special thanks to all of our Hosts, most especially Kip Carter, our Forums manager. They do so much for us, not least monitor the Forums and make sure they run smoothly. Their patience with us during a train wreck is unceasing and their work to keep our header updated is invaluable. As I said before: a round of butterbeers, please!

And now, as we begin our seventh volume of stories (now this is mystical… it's seven! so powerful!), I invite each and every one of you to take the opportunity to play some ultimate Five Words: anytime that Forum time reads April 10 (we were founded on late October 9, 2005, and since we had to close out Vol VI we're doing this a day late), instead of posting five words, post... (drumroll, please) TEN WORDS! Okay, so, whatever, that was the same surprise as the old birthday celebration, but I promise you we'll do something super cool next time for our third anniversary in October 2008! RSVP now!

Same rules as last time apply: double up on your posting chances if you're not a premium member, and get more bang for your buck if you are. (Plus, if you miss out on this exciting, once-a-year special, we'll be nice and let you post ten words for just a few posts whenever you get your chance... if it rolls into Aprill 11, no big deal. )

Let the festivities begin, and thank you for staying by Five Words!

—Finn BV, April 10, 2006, 3:39 a.m.

* Five Words – Volume 7 Index * 

Last edited by Potteraholic on Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 9 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume VII, Story #72

Post  Potteraholic Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:29 pm

This story was first posted by Potteraholic - Apr 14, 2008 10:46 am (#144 of 2994) on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

Potty Five Words: "Peace"

The Crumple-Horned Snorkack grazed peacefully as Luna Lovegood and her father watched from the shelter of the stone outcropping. They were taking one last trip to Snorkackal before Xenophilius died from an accidental overdose of Billywig stings. Luna glanced over at her father, and she could see the excitement in his eyes.

"It's so beautiful!" he whispered. "Just look at its beautiful horns; such amazing examples of curving, twisting loveliness!" Luna beamed at her father. It made her so happy to see his delight at finally finding the creature. She was afraid that they wouldn't get there in time. Even Luna, always the optimist, wasn't sure her father would live to see this day. His health had declined in recent years, almost to the stage where he could no longer walk without aid. Azkaban, many years ago, had weakened him. He had tried to stay positive but the Dementors made him suffer from seemingly permanent depression, and his mood altered only when the Dementors moved to other cells after new prisoners had come in.

"Look, Luna! Is that a baby Snorkack over there, away from the rest of the others?" exclaimed Xenophilius. Sure enough, when Luna turned to look there was a small creature, his horns short and light-purple. She gasped in delight and made to move closer.

"Careful, Luna," said Xenophilius. "You might scare it." The baby Snorkack looked up suddenly and gave an odd bleat. A cloud of birds that were nearby on the grass rose into the sky, disturbed by the sound. A larger Snorkack ambled over to where they were hiding, and it gave an almighty shriek before herding the smaller one back to the group.

"Look!" exclaimed Luna, "It's the baby's mother!"

Xenophilius' eyes filled with tears. "Yes," he said. "Its mother. She's protecting it." The Snorkacks returned to grazing quietly. Xenophilius was taking notes on a long piece of parchment, which was trailing behind him like a flowing beard. He was hoping to write the final edition of The Quibbler before his time ran out, and include in it a full description of the Snorkacks' life cycle, from infancy to adult maturation. But in the short time they had been here, his health had deteriorated further, and he knew he didn't have long. Hopefully, he would finish this last article.

"Luna, could you please pass the camera? I'd like to get some photos of the mother and ba—." He stopped suddenly and grabbed his chest. "The poison—," he gasped. His breathing became more ragged. He felt unbearably lightheaded and could feel himself rising off the ground. "Luna, help me!" he shouted. Luna grabbed his bag, and started searching frantically inside it. She pulled out some rope, but time was running out.

"Descendere!" she shouted in desperation. Xenophilius halted mid-air but was no longer rising. He was about 15 feet up. The rope was about the same length. Luna magicked the rope up to her father and he grasped hold of the end.

Accio rope! he thought, unable to speak. Luna pulled with all her might, but her father wouldn't budge. The Snorkacks were ambling in their direction. Desperate for help, Luna called to them not really knowing what would happen. To her surprise, they galloped over and began pulling the rope with her. She watched them grab hold of the rope in their snouts and begin to move slowly backwards.

Mr. Lovegood drifted near an odd-looking bush. As the foliage touched his skin, he started to sneeze, reducing the speed of his final descent. He landed on the back of the mother Snorkack they had observed with her baby earlier. She allowed him to rest for a bit before she became restless. He slid gently to the ground and lay there while the mother nuzzled him, checking to see if he was still breathing. Luna knelt by his side, and surprisingly, the mother Snorkack did not back away. Weakly, Xenophilius raised his arm and rested it lightly on Luna's shoulder.

"Help me up, dear," Xenophilius said.

"Are you sure? Perhaps you should rest some more," Luna urged. "Let's have you lean against these boulders for a while. I'll send Nifty back for the camera. We can put a picture of you and the Snorkack in The Quibbler's next edition. What do you think about that?" Xenophilius did not answer, but smiled faintly at Luna. The niffler quickly fetched the camera. "Say, 'blibbering humdinger'," Luna said, levitating the camera in front of her. Her father smiled and attempted a wave. The Snorkack inclined its head towards him, his snout almost touching Xenophilius' ear. "Fotoshute!" Luna exclaimed. There was a click and a flash of light and the camera emitted a little puff of smoke. She smiled with satisfaction. At long last her father's dream had come true, and she only hoped he would be able to see the photograph he had sought for years, spread across the front page.

"Luna, my dear, I think it is time we packed up our things and went back home. While our time here in Sweden has been so illuminating, I don't think we can publish that picture. Think of how the beautiful serenity of this place, their home, will be destroyed by wizards who flock here to see them. They are so trusting, they wouldn't know how to defend themselves." He looked at them with reverence. The beasts ambled peacefully around them, occasionally nuzzling Luna and her father. The youngest of the herd were still wobbly on their thin legs. It is so amazing to be here among them, thought Xenophilius. He wanted to savor every moment before time ran out. He was weak, and breathing was becoming more and more labored. Luna looked concerned, but he smiled weakly.

"But Father," Luna protested, "what about your reputation? Everyone is waiting for proof of the Snorkacks' existence! Perhaps if we kept this location secret, then no one would be able to find them."

"No Luna," Xenophilius whispered. "I know that we are supposed to keep their existence a secret. It doesn't matter about my reputation. We'll know the truth."

"All right, Father, if that's the way you want it," whispered Luna. "Let's get you home, the sooner the better."

"No, Luna," Xeno replied softly. "I'm staying right here."

Luna shook her head, but smiled at her father. "Oh, Dad," she giggled, "you don't really mean that you want to spend your last minutes lying here among the Snorkacks, do you? I thought you wanted to pay one last visit to the Erumpents?"

Xeno smiled weakly and shook his head. "This is as far as I go Luna," he murmured softly. "It will be a relief to go on in such a peaceful, beautiful place."

Luna's eyes filled with tears as she gazed lovingly down at her father. Nifty nuzzled up against the old wizard's hand, whimpering softly. Luna finally realized that her father had closed his eyes and he had stopped breathing. She listened frantically for a heartbeat. There was no sound. Luna leaned back against the standing stone and tried to resist the tears now trickling down her face. She picked Nifty up, held him close, and sobbed. Taking out her wand, she carved a symbol into a small boulder, one of the fifty or so arranged in a ship-like formation around them. She then levitated her father's lifeless body close to the newly made headstone, the image of the Cloak, Wand, and Stone marking the place where Xenophilius Lovegood would rest for eternity. Using her wand, Luna dug a hole in the ground, slowly removing the earth in small clumps. She was prolonging the inevitable. The moment eventually arrived. She lowered her father's body, took one last look at his beloved face, and blanketed him with yellow smörblomma flowers.

"I'll miss you, Daddy," Luna said quietly as she started covering Xenophilius' body with earth. "And I promise that I'll keep the Snorkacks as our little secret, forever." With that, she threw the whole camera into the grave. "I hope you have a nice voyage to meet Mummy as you sail away to the land beyond the veil."

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 9 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume VII, Story #72 stats

Post  Potteraholic Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:32 pm

These stats were first posted by Potteraholic - Apr 14, 2008 10:51 am (#146 of 2994) on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

Statistics for Story 72

User
  # of Submissions  
  Verity Weasley   16
  freshwater   8
  Finn BV   4
  Phoenixfeather   3
  Swedish Short-Snout   5
  Potteraholic  29
  PatPat   6
  Puck   24
  Snuffles   6
  azi   19
  Anna L. Black   16

Total Submissions: 136 (Note: these were 10 word posts, instead of the usual 5.)
Total Words: 1360
Last Submission Date: #139, April 12, 2008, 8:40 P.M. (Potteraholic)
Total Time to Create Story: 2 days, 16 hours, 34 minutes.

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 9 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume VII, Story #73

Post  Potteraholic Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:33 pm

This story was first posted by Tazzygirl - Apr 22, 2008 6:30 am (#431 of 2994) on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

Potty Five Words: "Mundungus Fletcher’s Downfall"

Augusta Longbottom entered Madame Malkin’s shop, pulling her grandson by the arm. “Gran, I’m bigger than you are. I think I can walk by myself.”

Gran Longbottom smiled at Neville and promptly let go. “Right, now what color would you like for your dress robes? I think this midnight blue would suit you. Your father liked this color, it was…” She kept on chattering as Neville’s robes were fitted. He had done what she suggested and gotten blue. She proudly observed him as he twirled in front of Madame Malkin. “Your parents would be so proud to see you become the new Herbology professor at Hogwarts,” she said, tears welling in her eyes. She reached into her large red handbag and pulled out an embroidered, lacy handkerchief. After a quick dabble around her eyes, she hugged her grandson.

“Careful, now! I haven’t stitched it up, there may be some pins sticking out,” warned Madame Malkin.

Neville patted his grandmother’s arm gently. “I wouldn’t have made anything of myself if it hadn’t been for your encouragement.”

“I wasn’t always that encouraging. I missed your father so much that I didn’t always treat you fairly.”

Neville shook his head and smiled. “Gran, if it hadn’t been for you and Uncle Algie, I would never have gotten to Hogwarts at all!”

“Oh, fiddlesticks!” said Gran. “Do you really believe a wizard of your talents and power would have been refused a place? Absolutely not!” Neville smiled and paid for his robes.

Outside the shop, Mundungus Fletcher was busy selling potions in the busy street. A green cloud was bubbling out of his thin-bottomed pewter cauldron. A Ministry official was walking towards him with a stern look on her face. Hermione Granger spoke in a firm, loud voice. “That better not be what I think it is. Where are your trading papers that you need in order to sell potions listed under Article XXXIV?”

Mundungus looked momentarily flustered. “I left it at home,” he muttered. Hermione’s eyes narrowed.

“Right,” she said briskly. “You and I need to have a little chat about this.” As she drew closer, Mundungus slowly drew out his wand. “PETRIFICUS TOTALUS!” shrieked Hermione. Mundungus yelled and ducked as a man he had hidden behind floated toward Hermione, his hands and legs were stuck together, and he looked utterly surprised.

Quickly performing the counter-curse, Neville ran towards the man who was slowly getting up and grimacing in pain. Mundungus darted away, and Hermione followed him, shouting. When all was quiet, Neville turned to the stranger. “What happened to you?” he asked. “Are you hurt badly?”

“I— I was attacked!” the fellow stuttered.

“No,” said Neville. “The spell Hermione used wasn’t what did this to you. Was it someone else?”

The man seemed too frightened to speak. Augusta approached and looked with horror at the wizard’s disheveled appearance. “Who did this to you?” she asked.

The man looked around. “I dunno. I was just shopping, minding my own business. I was suddenly overcome by a feeling of dread, and then I felt terribly cold. It was horrible. I thought I was going to die. But then, just as I gave up, a burst of sunlight broke through and next thing I know, the coldness goes away, and I’m tied up like this!”

Neville thought it sounded a lot like a Dementor attack, but wasn’t sure. “Maybe I should retrace his steps and see—”

“Neville, what are you doing?” interrupted Augusta. “We need to get this poor man to St. Mungo’s to be checked out thoroughly.

“That won’t be necessary,” interrupted Lucius Malfoy. “I am going there myself and will take him with me, if that’s amenable, Mr.…?”

“…Jarvis,” the man said looking warily at Lucius Malfoy. “But, I’m not sure I want to burden you with my troubles. I assure you, I’m perfectly fine.”

Lucius Malfoy sneered. He needed to get Jarvis alone so that he could question him about Draco’s fiancée. Mr. Jarvis was her father’s friend and knew the Greengrass family well. “You need to at least sit and rest. Why don’t we go have a drink at the Leaky Cauldron? That should calm you,” suggested Lucius.

Augusta said, “I’m sure my grandson is perfectly capable of taking Mr. Jarvis anywhere he needs to go.” With that, she marched Jarvis over to Neville, who nodded and started down the street. Lucius, taken aback, watched them go, and then he quickly started to follow at a hurried pace.

“Jarvis! I need to speak with you urgently about a very important matter!”

Jarvis stopped and turned. “I don’t know what the matter is,” he said slowly.

Augusta looked around impatiently. “Oh, just get going! You need medical treatment, and you need it now! You’re coming with us to St. Mungo’s! Whatever Mr. Malfoy wants from you can wait!”

Malfoy was furious. He gave Augusta a scathing look and reached for his wand. He muttered a spell and a blast of red light shot from his wand. “Protego!” yelled Neville, and Malfoy was thrown back as his spell smashed the large window of Madame Malkin’s shop, showering everyone with fragments of glass.

Gran thundered, “HOW DARE YOU, Lucius, attacking us like that!” She drew out her own wand, walked right up to Malfoy, pressing the tip to his nose. “If you ever do that again, I will make you wish you were back in Azkaban.” Lucius stepped back. “Remember, Lucius, things are different now that You-Know-Who is dead!” She finished, glaring at him. Malfoy seemed speechless. The ferocity of Augusta’s words stung and surprised him. He wasn’t as confident as he once was. He turned and left. “Good riddance! Now, let’s see…”

Before she could finish, Mundungus ran back in their direction so fast, it looked like he was riding a Firebolt. Hermione Apparated soon after, blocking Dung with a brick wall. With a sickening CRUNCH, he hit it, head first.

“Nice wandwork,” grinned Neville. “I think he’ll be knocked out for quite a while. Are you going to arrest him?”

Hermione looked frazzled. “He’s been avoiding us for months. Always gets away just as we’re about to take him into custody. Today he’ll be brought to justice.” Neville helped Hermione bind and levitate Mundungus. She thanked him.

“What’s he done this time?” asked Neville.

“He was going about his skullduggery earlier, selling an illegal potion. He makes one experience a Dementor-like effect,” explained Hermione.

Mr. Jarvis looked surprised. “He told me it cured hot flashes! My wife has been suffering from them and after I bought it I noticed the bottle leaking, and that was when I felt the Dementor.”

Hermione nodded. “Yes, that fits. The symptoms are temporary. You’ll soon be fine. I’d like to take the bottle for evidence.”

“Here, I definitely don’t need it.”

“Do you want to take this bag to put the evidence in?” Gran Longbottom rummaged through her red handbag and took up a smaller bag. This should do just fine. Lucius Malfoy is after this potion. Narcissa has been making him do the housework while the house elves rest.”

“Mr. Jarvis,” interrupted Hermione. “Would you mind if I took a statement about your experiences?”

“Of course! I want the man prosecuted!” replied Jarvis.

A few minutes later, they were all seated around a table at the Department of Magical Law Enforcement. Hermione had just finished writing the report about Mundungus’ illegal sale of a controlled substance. “Right, Mr. Jarvis, you can leave whenever you wish. I have enough information and evidence for now.”

Mr. Jarvis nodded and headed for the door. He turned to Augusta and gave her a kiss on the cheek. “Thanks for helping me.” Then he turned to Neville and they shook hands. “You have an amazing grandmother. I’m very grateful for the help.”

Augusta handed Jarvis a piece of parchment. “I think this will help your wife. My mother gave me the recipe for this potion seventy… er, well… a long time ago.”

“Thank you very much! This will make her feel more like herself again,” smiled Jarvis.

“Well, we better be getting home, Neville. Don’t forget your new robes. Did I mention that Neville is the new Herbology professor at Hogwarts?” Augusta could not help herself as she was proud of her grandson. Neville looked slightly embarrassed but was grinning ear to ear. He was immensely proud of himself.

“I couldn’t have done it without my friends!” he said happily.

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 9 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume VII, Story #73 stats

Post  Potteraholic Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:35 pm

These stats were first posted by Tazzygirl - Apr 22, 2008 6:31 am (#433 of 2994) on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

Statistics for Story 73

User
  # of Submissions  
  Potteraholic   47
  Puck   33
  Snuffles   14
  azi   82
  Swedish Short-Snout   16
  freshwater   20
  Tazzygirl   2
  Finn BV   1
  Verity Weasley   12
  Anna L. Black   12
  PatPat   5
  Phoenixfeather   37

Total Submissions: 281
Total Words: 1405
Last Submission Date: #427, April 21, 2008, 4:04 P.M. (azi)
Total Time to Create Story: 7 days, 5 hours, 13 minutes.

Last edited by Potteraholic on Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 9 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume VII, Story #74

Post  Potteraholic Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:36 pm

This story was first posted by Potteraholic - May 7, 2008 10:51 am (#705 of 2994) on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

Potty Five Words: "The Malevolent Manticore"

Laughter from the party echoed around the Great Hall. It was Halloween, and the students were in top form. Even the faculty seemed to be enjoying themselves. Professor McGonagall was dancing wildly on a chair next to Professor Snape, who scowled and grimaced at every student who happened to be within his sight. He had taken his wand out of his robes at the sound of a mouth organ being played nearby. He searched for the source. It was coming from Luna Lovegood.

"Miss Lovegood, stop playing that silly thing!"

But it seemed Luna couldn't hear him and continued to play loudly. A first-year boy started to scream as a dozen ghosts entered through the wall and began formation gliding through the Great Hall. Harry, Ron, and Hermione cheered with the rest of the Gryffindors. Nearly Headless Nick was leading the gliding. Professor Dumbledore called for an encore, and they twirled and suddenly froze in mid-air. The hall quieted slightly as the ghosts hung motionless. The Bloody Baron floated towards Nearly Headless Nick. The Great Hall became quieter still as he lifted a hand to stop the murmurs of surprise.

The Baron spoke in a booming voice that echoed around the Hall. "The party is over. A manticore has somehow managed to enter the castle. Currently, it is somewhere on the third floor." Everybody stared at him in stunned amazement.

Then Professor Dumbledore rose and said "All prefects please gather the students in your house and make sure nobody is missing. I want the teachers to come with me." The students sat in silence until the teachers left, and then exploded into a frenzy of noise and movement.

"How on earth did a manticore get into the school?" Hermione exclaimed. Her voice was high pitched and nervous.

Harry was excited. "Let's go looking for it," he suggested. "Perhaps we can sneak out of here somehow..." Hermione looked terrified.

Ron looked incredulous. "Harry, you cannot really want to go and find the thing?! Do you know how dangerous they are? My great uncle Finnigan lost a leg to the venom of a manticore. He was lucky to survive!"

Harry's smile waned. "But if we go then—" Harry was interrupted by a loud scream. A Ravenclaw Prefect was attempting to seal the door to prevent a gigantic claw from forcing it open. Two more prefects rushed to help her as Harry grabbed his wand and tried to cast a spell at the creature. It missed, but rebounded on one of the doors, hitting it in the stomach.

"Ouch!" squealed the creature.

"Don' hurt it! It's jus' confused," called Hagrid, striding across the room. He pulled open his moleskin overcoat and reached for a tiny flask in one of his many pockets, in which shimmered a transparent liquid.

"What's that, Hagrid?" asked Harry, intrigued.

"Oh, tha's jus' a li'l somethin' I use t' calm the creatures tha' get a tad riled up." He pulled the cork off and poured a few drops onto the manticore's paw. Immediately, the giant paw withdrew, and snoring could be heard echoing around the entrance hall. Cautiously, Hagrid eased the door open. The manticore had fallen asleep right outside the door.

"Good thinking Hagrid," exclaimed Dumbledore. "Now that the creature's sleeping, we can transport it to its natural home." Dumbledore then opened a bottle of mead. "Let's continue the celebration!"

"P'fessor, I'd like t' try an' keep 'im as a pet. The Forbidden Forest is jus' too dark an' lonely for 'im."

Dumbledore chuckled, then said, "No, Hagrid. I'm afraid this creature will not be a suitable pet for a school."

"Bu' P'fessor, I know I can 'andle 'im."

"No, Hagrid. It'll be too risky for the students. You may, however, accompany the gentleman to his home." Dumbledore's firm tone silenced him.

"I can see it!" Harry crowed excitedly, but Hagrid's large form was blocking much of the manticore from view.

"It's waking up!" yelled Professor McGonagall, grabbing Harry and Ron by their shoulders and yanking them away from the door. The manticore gave an almighty snore, then immediately stood up and yawned loudly. It looked around.

Dumbledore raised his drink and said, "To your very good health." He downed his mead in a single gulp and placed the goblet on the ground in front of the beast.

The manticore took one step backwards before cautiously leaning forward to sniff the goblet. Then he straightened up and looked Dumbledore in the eye. "Hmm, you will wonder how I broke through your security here at the castle, won't you? It was relatively simple. My good friend, who shall remain nameless for the moment, showed me a secret passage."

"Hmmm... then perhaps you would be so kind as to allow me to examine this passage? We shouldn't leave it unguarded."

The manticore regarded him a moment, then opened his mouth and said, "That is not important. I am going to kill all of you anyway..."

"No, yeh big brute," Hagrid roared and stepped forward, placing himself between the beast and Dumbledore.

Harry jumped forward instinctively. "HAGRID! Watch out for its tail!" Too late. Like a whiplash, the manticore's tail swung back and landed squarely on Hagrid's broad chest. Everybody screamed in horror and ran off to hide, except Hermione.

She drew her wand quickly. "PROTEGO!" she yelled, aiming her wand over the heads of rushing students. A magical shield shimmered ghostly white between the manticore and the students.

Meanwhile, Dumbledore advanced towards the manticore, looking grim. "You may not endanger my students and the staff here. I warn you now to change your course of action or face the consequences." He delivered this ultimatum brandishing his wand. The manticore did not flinch. He seemed untroubled by this threat, as he didn't fear human magic, but he didn't realize that Dumbledore's eyes were not twinkling.

Suddenly a burst of white light enclosed the manticore in a bubble filled with sweet, lilting music, which was only faintly audible to everyone who'd taken cover. The bubble floated out of the great front doors with the manticore swaying gently inside the bubble. Hagrid stepped outside, accompanied by Dumbledore.

"Take him out of Hogwarts' boundaries and return him to his natural habitat in Iran. It will be a long journey."

"Don' worry P'fessor! You can coun' on me!" Hagrid ran towards the front gates, the bubble bouncing along in front of him.

"Music has magic beyond anything we do here," announced Dumbledore, as he watched the departing manticore. "And now, Professors Snape and McGonagall will demonstrate the Macarena!" Snape looked mutinous, but followed Professor McGonagall onto the dance floor.

"Shall we, Severus?" said Professor McGonagall. The music started as both began to dance. The students gathered around to watch as they moved uncertainly.

"Enough!" Snape yelled, as his robes turned bright pink. Snape stormed off amidst gales of laughter from all assembled.

Professor Dumbledore stepped onto the dance floor. "May I join you, Professor McGonagall?" She nodded briskly and they started moving their hands in perfect unison. Everyone laughed and cheered. Soon, all the students began doing the Macarena, except Draco Malfoy.

"Come on, Draco," yelled Pansy Parkinson, "it's fun!" Harry laughed as Malfoy attempted to escape, but Pansy dragged him onto the dance floor. He actually danced quite well to Harry's surprise. But Professor Sinistra, who was dancing with Professor Flitwick, was stumbling wildly. At one point, she fell flat on her face while doing the hip-swivel. Flitwick helped her to her feet. Harry thought they danced well together despite their differing heights. Gyrating wildly, they took center stage, drawing every eye in the Great Hall to the dynamic duo.

Hermione grinned at Ron and Harry. "That's something you don't see everyday." she chuckled.

"Not a bad party considering we all almost died," Ron remarked.

"Yeah," said Harry, "It's nice when everyone survives the night's festivities relatively unharmed."

"I wonder if Dumbledore found out about this beast - I'd like to find the slimy git who let it in!" Ron said, making a fist. Harry and Hermione nodded in agreement.

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 9 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume VII, Story #74 stats

Post  Potteraholic Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:37 pm

These stats were first posted by Potteraholic - May 7, 2008 10:55 am (#707 of 2994) on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

Statistics for Story 74

User
  # of Submissions  
  azi   5
  Tazzygirl   2
  Snuffles   14
  Phoenixfeather   52
  Swedish Short-Snout   29
  Anna L. Black   14
  Verity Weasley   35
  PatPat   12
  Orion   19
  freshwater   27
  Puck   31
  Potteraholic   29

Total Submissions: 269
Total Words: 1345
Last Submission Date: #702, May 6, 2008, 9:36 P.M. (freshwater)
Total Time to Create Story: 14 days, 13 hours, 2 minutes.

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 9 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume VII, Story #75

Post  Potteraholic Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:40 pm

This story was first posted by Potteraholic - May 18, 2008 7:22 am (#1034 of 2994) on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

Potty Five Words: "The First Defiance"

"How do we find Voldemort?" James and Lily were preparing to search for him and his inner circle of Death Eaters.

Dumbledore frowned. "He was last seen outside Hogsmeade in the mountains north of the village. But we think he's moved south to be closer to people like the Lestranges and the Malfoys." James nodded and picked up his invisibility cloak.

"Well, we won't find him sitting here," said Sirius, standing up quickly. "Let's go then, before you two demonstrate another overly basic lesson in defense." James scowled, but Lily laughed at the banter between them. They hoisted duffle bags and James threw his invisibility cloak over the three of them. Sirius was forced to crouch next to James and Lily as they made their way out.

"Wait! Your feet are still visible," said Dumbledore. "Maybe you should Apparate to Remus' place — it will be easier to get to the area where the Death Eaters are. Give Remus my regards."

"We can't. It's the full moon and he'll be, uh, busy," James explained.

Lily nodded. "That's alright. Peter lives near there."

"Of course, Remus' condition! How could I forget? You must think senility is taking its toll on me," Dumbledore replied.

Lily smiled at him, "Professor, we know better than to think anything of the sort!"

Dumbledore smiled back, but his eyes lingered on the cloak just a bit too long, and James looked at him curiously. "Is something wrong, Professor?"

"No... there is just something about your cloak... I'd like to have a closer look at it sometime."

"Why don't you take it now," James suggested, "We can manage without it, I think."

Dumbledore seemed to inwardly wrestle with his desire to examine the curious object. "Another time. Now, be safe and watch each other's backs."

Sirius smiled and nodded at James and Lily. "James likes to watch Lily's back enough for the both of us!" Dumbledore's eyes twinkled; hearing Sirius' good-natured ribbing helped focus his mind on the challenge they were now facing.

"Don't forget," Dumbledore added, "Voldemort may be expecting you to seek Alastor's advice, so don't go anywhere near his home."

James nodded, "Yeah, we already figured he'd be keeping an eye on Moody's place."

The trio waved goodbye, then Apparated to a quiet wood near Peter Pettigrew's house. Carefully, they made their way to the nearby village, wands out, and ready. As they approached the village, a sudden movement in the trees stopped them dead in their tracks. James signaled the others to grab hold of his arm. However, before they could even make a move, a stag and a doe suddenly bounded from the thicket. The trio watched, startled, as the pair slowed to a walk and looked at them. Then, as quickly as they appeared, they disappeared.

"That was unexpected... do you suppose," whispered James, "they were running from the Death Eaters?"

"Yes!" squeaked a voice from below. A small and familiar rat emerged from the dense undergrowth. He crawled up on Lily's lap as James scowled. "I—"

"Geroff, Wormtail!" James said, shaking the scruffy rat into the nearby bush.

"Don't EVER do that again," Lily exclaimed angrily. "You could've hurt him!" Peter scrambled through the bushes in an attempt to get away from the angry bowtruckles that he'd disturbed when he'd fallen. Lily scooped him up, glaring at James. "Let him change back—"

SNAP!

Startled, Lily dropped Wormtail. Before the trio could move, a large foot stepped on Peter's tail. "Stupefy!" Lily shouted, pointing her wand at the figure that had emerged from the shadows. It was Macnair, a sneer frozen across his face. "Oh my," gasped Lily.

Another figure was emerging from the trees nearby, holding his wand out. "Cru—"

"Expelliarmus!" shouted James, knocking the blond wizard's wand to the ground.

"Behind you!" yelled Sirius, who shot a spell towards the woman. She ducked the spell, grabbing the blond wizard's wand from among the leaves.

"Avada Kedavra!" she yelled, pointing the wand at Lily. James pulled Lily away just in time.

Sirius shot a spell over to the woman, Bellatrix, his cousin, but missed. "What a surprise to find you here," Sirius jeered. "Fancy a bit of a duel with your favorite cousin?"

"STOP!" the blond wizard shouted. "We have our orders!" Bellatrix glared at Barty Crouch, but did not lower her wand. "Where's my wand?" Barty asked.

"What? This? I thought it was a twig." Bella smirked, keeping her eyes on Sirius. "Rennervate!" she said, pointing her wand at Macnair. James and Lily moved quickly, sinking back into the shadows, and Sirius Dispparated while Bella was distracted by Macnair. Peter was hiding in a hollow under a pile of leaves.

"Argh! They got away! The Dark Lord will not be happy to find out we let them escape!" Barty snapped.

A rustle on the ground got Macnair's attention. He saw Peter scurrying through the undergrowth, but wasn't quick enough to kill him. He hated rats. "Spread out," barked Macnair, "they might still be somewhere around here!"

James covered Lily with the invisibility cloak and they stayed silent, hoping to hear any information of Voldemort's whereabouts. Suddenly, the Dark Lord himself appeared.

"M…my Lord," gasped McNair, I... I... didn't think that you would come..."

Voldemort looked at the Death Eaters that had failed him. "The Order of the Phoenix is gaining ground. I will not allow upstarts such as those Gryffindors to interrupt my plans for total control of the Ministry of Magic. You will now find the three you neglected to capture and make sure you don't lose them again, or you will feel the sharp sting of my wand."

With a swish of cloaks, Macnair, Bellatrix, and Barty sped away into the night. James and Lily stayed under the invisibility cloak. Voldemort looked around seeming to sense their presence. Listening intently, he moved with stealth, inching ever closer to the pair.

"We can't stay here," James whispered.

"But we don't know what's happening or where Sirius and Peter are now," Lily whispered in reply.

Voldemort stopped within inches of the tree they were standing behind. James shifted his weight. "Let's go!" James said, gripping his wand tightly. "Expelliarmus!" he exclaimed. Voldemort turned at the sound of his voice. His wand flew out of his hand and landed on a tree stump. James, hearing the clatter, dove for it, shrugging off the cloak.

"You," hissed Voldemort, as James triumphantly grabbed the fallen wand and held it in front of him. Lily stepped forward, her wand pointing at Voldemort's heart. Together, they slowly advanced on him. Lily glanced sideways at James.

"You fools! Do you really think you can defeat me?" Voldemort snapped, pushing back his left sleeve. A vile rodent scurried out from behind a stump, distracting Voldemort long enough to stop his hand's movement from reaching his Dark Mark. Lily quickly conjured ropes, attempting to bind Voldemort but he moved too quickly. Laughing maniacally, he pressed his finger to his left forearm.

Moments later, the three Death Eaters appeared at his side, their wands at the ready. "Get them!" Voldemort shrieked. James and Lily ducked as a flash of light skimmed past their heads, but before they could do any more, a welcome, familiar werewolf charged towards them.

James turned to Lily and said, "If I get us out of this alive, promise me that you'll marry me, okay?!"

Lily didn't have time to answer, since she was too busy ducking flying spells. Sirius raced alongside the werewolf.

"Padfoot! Moony! Cover Lily! Now, you slimy git, take that!" James pointed his wand at Voldemort. His mind raced, desperately trying to decide his next move.

"Expelliarmus!" hollered a Death Eater and both James' and Voldemort's wands flew skyward. Padfoot jumped into the fray and snatched James' wand out of the air, disappearing into the trees. Remus, meanwhile, was preparing to attack the Death Eaters. James grabbed Lily's hand and turned on the spot, forgetting that he had lost his wand.

"Hold on tight!" Lily cried reaching out to grab Remus' tail. With James and Remus on either side of her, she Disapparated, hearing Voldemort's cries of fury. Godric's Hollow appeared instantly. So did Sirius, holding James' wand. They all looked a bit worse for wear. Remus bounded off into the distance, silhouetted in the moonlight.

"Where's Peter?" Lily asked with concern.

"Probably safe in his hole somewhere," Sirius replied. "He'll come out when he's sure the coast is clear. He's not always the bravest rat," he concluded.

"Speak of the devil," said James as the familiar rodent-like face popped into view.

Lily quickly ran to him. "Are you okay? How did you get away, Peter?"

"It was tough," Peter gasped, clutching his chest. "I had to fight off three of them—"

"What a load of tosh!" Sirius interrupted. "I bet you waited until they were gone before you transformed."

Peter squirmed uncomfortably. "I did overhear He-Who-Should-Not-Be-Named talking about his plans for... um..."

"Spit it out!" urged James. "Let's hear it."

"Well, let's see... I think he was intending to attack ... er, some wizards who, um... maybe we should go someplace else to um... talk about this. There might be... um...

"I don't think you heard anything," Sirius drawled. "You just have to ride on our coattails."

"Well, he's right about not continuing to talk out here," Lily interrupted. "Let's get inside the Potters' house."

They moved towards the house.

"Oh, by the way, James, remember that question you asked earlier? Something about 'if you got us out of this alive?' Well, technically, I got us out of it, but if you really meant it, the answer is, 'Yes'," she smiled.

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 9 Empty Re: Archive of Five Words Stories

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content