HPLF WX Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II)

+12
HungarianHorntail11
Ludicrous Patents Office
Dryleaves
Betelgeuse Black
Madam Pince
azi
Lady Arabella
Choices
Julia H.
Verity Weasley
Puck
Potteraholic
16 posters

Page 25 of 32 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 28 ... 32  Next

Go down

Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 25 Empty Re: Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II)

Post  Verity Weasley Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:09 pm

Cute avatar, Choices! Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 25 2752390508

For the riddle, I'll make the obvious guess, which I assume is wrong, but let's get it out of the way anyway - is it the golden snitch?
Verity Weasley
Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 25 Empty Re: Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II)

Post  Choices Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:38 pm

Thanks Verity! It just so happens that the Golden Snitch is part of the answer. There's more to it, so can you give me the complete answer?

Seek me high, seek me low
Chase me round, don't let me go.
Warning, warning, all beware
You ought to know I don't play fair.
I'm more than one, so come explore
Your guesses now I do implore!

What am I?

Guessed: The Elder Wand, The Golden Snitch

Last edited by Choices on Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Choices
Choices
Seventh Year
Seventh Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Choices Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:40 pm

Hey, didn't mean to scare everybody off. Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 25 1003735042 Anyone may take a stab at the answer - we have established that the snitch is a part of the complete answer. Please keep guessing. Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 25 2752390508
Choices
Choices
Seventh Year
Seventh Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Julia H. Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:22 pm

Quidditch?
Julia H.
Julia H.
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Choices Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:16 pm

Good guess, Julia, and you are certainly on the right track, but Quidditch is not the answer.

What am I?

Guessed: The Elder Wand, The Golden Snitch, Quidditch

Choices
Choices
Seventh Year
Seventh Year

Back to top Go down

Post  shepherdess Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:20 pm

Is it all of the balls used in a quidditch game?
shepherdess
shepherdess
Head Girl
Head Girl

http://abetteryou.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Choices Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:09 pm

Well done, Shepherdess! Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 25 2752390508 It is indeed the three balls used to play Quidditch.

This refers to the Seeker who hunts for the Golden Snitch.

The second line refers to the Quaffle, the objective of the Chasers. "Round" hints at the shape of the Quaffle and the other two balls.

These two lines refer to the Bludger, a dangerous and unpredictable ball that can pop up at any moment against either side.

This line tells you that there are more than one of these things - explore the riddle and make your guess.

Congratulations to Shepherdess - the next riddle is yours. Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 25 2752390508

Choices
Choices
Seventh Year
Seventh Year

Back to top Go down

Post  shepherdess Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:09 pm

Umm..ok. I'm going to have to think.
shepherdess
shepherdess
Head Girl
Head Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Choices Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:12 pm

I had to think awhile, too. I haven't done a riddle in a long time. Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 25 2752390508
Choices
Choices
Seventh Year
Seventh Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Verity Weasley Fri May 11, 2012 5:05 am

I hope nobody minds but it seems as though Shepherdess has been thinking for a while now, so I thought I'd jump in with a new riddle.

I'll tell you why. This afternoon I was asked to stand in for someone and invigilate an exam. Invigilation is one of the most mind-numbing things to do. I'd almost rather take the exam than invigilate it. Almost. So for about an hour and a quarter I had absolutely nothing to do, except stroll up and down amongst the rows, occasionally sitting down, but not for too long or I'd find myself dozing off. We're not allowed to take in computers or books or anything while we invigilate, so to keep my mind occupied I decided to think up a new riddle. It's probably totally obvious and will be guessed really quickly, but in my defence I did make this up completely in my head with no book or computer to help. And then I had to make sure I remembered it so I could write it down when the exam was over! Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 25 464751818 Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 25 2752390508

So, without further ado, here it is.

Guardian or gatekeeper, not easily swayed
Scathing of one whose death was delayed
Writer of letters
Pursuer of prey
Making an entrance
On this special day

Verity Weasley
Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Post  Choices Fri May 11, 2012 2:29 pm

Verity, I'm excited to see a new riddle, and an interesting one it is. I am going to have to think about it a bit before I venture a guess, but just wanted to thank you for offering us this challenge. Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 25 2752390508

OK, I am editing this to add my guess - Is it Sirius Black?
Choices
Choices
Seventh Year
Seventh Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Julia H. Fri May 11, 2012 3:08 pm

A new riddle! cheers I haven't had time to visit the Forum lately, and I've been quite surprised to find the notification about this thread in my mailbox today. A very nice surprise and an intriguing riddle! Thanks, Verity!

Verity wrote: "Invigilation is one of the most mind-numbing things to do. I'd almost rather take the exam than invigilate it."

Agreed. LOL.

The riddle reminded me of lots of things. So ... my first guess: Sir Patrick Delaney-Podmore?
Julia H.
Julia H.
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Choices Fri May 11, 2012 3:13 pm

Oh, that's a great guess - the clues sure fit.
Choices
Choices
Seventh Year
Seventh Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Verity Weasley Fri May 11, 2012 9:24 pm

See, that's what you get for thinking up a riddle when your mind is numb! Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 25 1437562208 Thanks for your guess Choices, but Julia has the answer. It is Sir Patrick Delaney-Podmore, or as Nearly Headless Nick likes to call him, Sir Perfectly Decapitated Podmore.

I guess its fairly obvious, but here's the explanation.

Guardian or gatekeeper, not easily swayed ~ He's gatekeeper to the Headless Hunt, in charge of deciding who is allowed entry and who isn't
Scathing of one whose death was delayed ~ Not sure whether Nick's death was actually delayed, he may still have been killed with the first blow, but he wasn't properly decapitated
Writer of letters ~ He sent Nick a rejection letter
Pursuer of prey ~ An allusion to Hunting
Making an entrance
On this special day
~ He caused quite a stir with his entrance to Nick's Deathday party

Congratulations Julia! Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 25 2942856553 I guess the next riddle is yours, unless Shepherdess wants to step in. Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 25 2752390508
Verity Weasley
Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Post  Verity Weasley Sun May 20, 2012 7:37 pm

Julia?... Shepherdess?... Anyone?
Verity Weasley
Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mona Sun May 20, 2012 11:45 pm

Great riddle, Verity! I'd never have guessed it in a million years! Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 25 2752390508 Well done, Julia!
Mona
Mona
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Julia H. Mon May 21, 2012 1:43 am

Oh, dear, I'm so sorry! These days are terribly hectic - but it's only a few more weeks till the end of the school year.

Verity and Mona, thanks for the congratulations! Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 25 2752390508 It was a really great riddle, and solving it was a lot of fun. I'll try to come up with a new riddle soon. Of course, Shepherdess may get here sooner, but two riddles are better than none Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 25 464751818 .

Julia H.
Julia H.
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  shepherdess Thu May 24, 2012 11:08 pm

Thank you, Verity, for stepping in and doing that riddle since I was taking so long to come up with anything. Now it seems Julia is kind of busy. So if nobody minds I'll put up an easy one to give Julia some time to work on one. Julia, I hope I'm not stepping on your toes. Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 25 2752390508

Taken from the mighty king,
I went to the kind and caring.
Taken again;
now kept within.
Known but unknown;
seen but unseen.
What am I?
shepherdess
shepherdess
Head Girl
Head Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Verity Weasley Fri May 25, 2012 8:45 am

Ooh, a new riddle! Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 25 2752390508 Yay! cheers

I don't know about being easy though. I really don't have any idea but I'll start the guessing going anyway.

Is it Gryffindor's sword?
Verity Weasley
Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Post  Julia H. Fri May 25, 2012 9:57 am

Oh, Shepherdess, I'm glad to see your riddle! Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 25 2752390508 (LOL, you are not stepping on my toes at all!) The riddle sounds mysterious, and I have no real idea for the answer yet, but I'll try a guess, too.

The Invisibility Cloak?
Julia H.
Julia H.
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  shepherdess Fri May 25, 2012 11:04 am

Ooo...those are both very good guesses, Verity and Julia! Although neither is the correct one yet.

Taken again;
now kept within.
Known but unknown;
seen but unseen.
What am I?

Guessed: Gryffindor's sword, the Invisibility Cloak
shepherdess
shepherdess
Head Girl
Head Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Choices Sat May 26, 2012 12:45 pm

Wild guess......is it Aragog?
Choices
Choices
Seventh Year
Seventh Year

Back to top Go down

Post  shepherdess Sat May 26, 2012 5:00 pm

Thanks for the guess, Choices; but the answer is not Aragog--although he does have something in common with the answer.

Taken again;
now kept within.
Known but unknown;
seen but unseen.
What am I?

Guessed: Gryffindor's sword, the Invisibility Cloak, Aragog
shepherdess
shepherdess
Head Girl
Head Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Verity Weasley Sat May 26, 2012 9:11 pm

OK, I've been thinking about this and trying to figure out the first line in particular. The fact that Aragog has something to do with the answer doesn't really help, but I'll explain my thinking anyway. At the least it may help to discount other guesses.

So I was trying to think who the king is that is referred to in the first line. There aren't any literal kings in the books, as far as I remember, but there is a Prince. If Snape's mother was a Prince, would that make her father a king? Maybe, but we don't know anything about him. Snape called himself the Half-Blood Prince, so does that make Snape's father a king? If so, what was taken from him? Just his name, really. That's really where this line of thinking breaks down, as I don't think Snape could be regarded as 'kind and caring'. But we may as well get it out of the way...

Is it Snape's name?

Verity Weasley
Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Post  shepherdess Sat May 26, 2012 9:35 pm

Thanks for the guess, Verity. Unfortunately, Snape's name is not the answer, and this line of thinking will not help. But since you brought it up, I'll give you a hint.

Taken again;
now kept within.
Known but unknown;
seen but unseen.
What am I?

Hint: The mighty king is not a person, creature or being.

Guessed: Gryffindor's sword, the Invisibility Cloak, Aragog, Snape's name
shepherdess
shepherdess
Head Girl
Head Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 25 of 32 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 28 ... 32  Next