HPLF WX Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Archive of 20 Questions

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Archive of 20 Questions - Page 8 Empty Potty Game: 20 Questions, Set #4, Game #154

Post  Potteraholic Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:51 am

Potteraholic- Dec 15, 2009 2:39 am (#47 of 2867)

Update #9, The Final One

1. Is it a person? No.
2. Is it a place? No.
3. Is it an object? Yes.
4. Is it magical? Yes.
5. Is it bigger than a bread-box? No.
6. Is it associated with a certain character? Yes.
7. Is it something that has an equivalent in the Muggle world? Yes.
8. Does it belong to a Hogwarts student? Yes.
9. Is the student a Gryffindor? Yes.
10. Is the student male? Yes.
11. Is the student Neville? No.
12. Does the student need this object for his classes? Yes, but 'need' is a subjective word re: this object and the student in question.
13. Does it appear in more than one book? No.
14. Is it an object that you wouldn't want your teacher find you with in class? No, your teacher would not 'object' if s/he found this 'object' with you in class.
15. Is this the Article that Harry gave to the Quibbler? No.
16. Can you write something onto this object? (With a normal, non-magical pen.) Yes, to the primary question, and as to the (parenthetical part of the question), it's not mentioned anywhere if there are any limits, writing implement-wise.
17. Is it the Prince's Potions textbook? No.
18. Do we see this object in the first book? No.
19. Is it the homework diary that Hermione gave him [Harry], in OotP? YES!!!

This one was inspired by some of my students, who have not been doing all their homework lately. And, because I've got Christmas shopping left to do.

Looking forward to your puzzle, legolas.

20 Questions Archive main page

Last edited by Potteraholic on Fri May 06, 2011 9:45 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : added link to index in header post)
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of 20 Questions - Page 8 Empty Potty Game: 20 Questions, Set #4, Game #155

Post  Potteraholic Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:53 am

legolas returns - Dec 25, 2009 10:00 am (#116 of 2867)

1. Is it an object? Yes
2. Is this object magical? No
3. Is this non-magical object found in the any of the particular Muggle residences mentioned in the series? No
4. Can this objected be ingested? No
5. Is it bigger than a bread box? Possibly I am not 100% sure. You can see larger and smaller items of the type.
6. Do we see this non-magical object in Harry's possession? No, Harry isn't the owner.
7. Do we see how this object is being purchased? No, it is not bought within the lifetime of the books.
8. Is the object owned by a Witch or Wizard? Defining precise ownership of the object is a difficult thing to do. So I guess I would say an unspecified number of Witch(es) or/and Wizard(s).
9. Do we see this object at Hogwarts? Yes. Hence my answer to question 8. Do the school governors own the school or the magical population or the MOM?
10. Does a specific singular specimen of this object play a role in the series? Yes
12. Is this non-magical object a piece of furniture? No, not a chair/bed/table etc.
13. Is it seen in more than one book? Yes
14. Is it a piece of cookware? No
15. Do all the specimens of this object look the same because they are mass-produced? No, it isn't mass produced.
16. Has this object come into contact with Harry, Ron, or Hermione? Yes, one of them.
17. Do we ever see Harry using this item? Yes, but perhaps not in the way it was designed for.
18. Does Harry use this non-magical object from/at Hogwarts more than once during the series? Yes
19. Is it a container? No
20. Is it Moaning Myrtle's toilet? No, it doesn't have anything to do with Myrtle’s toilet.
21. Is it a commonly-found object? Yes, in all places (muggle and magical) of a certain age.
22. Do we ever see a Hogwarts professor with this item? No
23. Is it made of metal? No, the description suggests a material other than metal.
23. Did Harry use this item in more than one book? Yes
24. Do we see it used in PS/SS? No
25. Does Harry use it in CoS? No
26. Do we see it in HBP and DH? Yes
27. Do we see it in GoF? No
28. Does Harry use it to improve his school performance? No
29. Do we see this mysterious non-magical object found at Hogwarts in any other books besides HBP and DH? No
30. Is this thing made of wood? No, the description in the books suggest something different.
31. When Harry uses this item, is he alone, as opposed to with Ron/Hermione? Yes, he is the only one of the trio who actually sees the object. His friends are close by though on one occassion.
32. Is this mysterious non-magical object found at Hogwarts mentioned in the first half of HBP? No, I don't have the books on me so I can't list chapter numbers.
33. Do we see this item used away from Hogwarts? (question changed) No, I would guess that the item is too heavy to move.
34. Is this non-magical, possible-smaller-than-a-breadbox item usually carried around, as opposed to being fixed in place, or attached to a wall? No, it is not carried around because of the heavyness of the item. I think in its time it might have been in only a small number of places.
35. Is this item--or any part of it--made of stone? I can't say with 100% certainty the actual material of the item. I would say that it was of a similar type of material as it is described as chipped.
36. Does this non-magical object contain any bit of glass? No
37. Is it the stone gargoyle outside of the headmaster's office? No, Harry uses that with his friend in DH and he uses it himself in other books.
38. Is this item stationary, or does any part of it move? No, it does not move.
39. Is it a sentient or semi-sentient object, let's say in the sense of a broomstick being semi-sentient? Not sentient in any manner as far as I can tell.
40. Is this non-magical object mentioned in the last 10 chapters of HBP? Yes
41. Does Harry use this non-magical object while he is searching for the Diadem? Yes
42. Is it the chipped bust of the ugly old warlock in the RoR in HBP that Harry puts a wig and the diadem on when he's hiding Snape's Potions book? Yes, congratulations! You are correct.

Last edited by Potteraholic on Fri May 06, 2011 9:46 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : added link to index in header post)
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of 20 Questions - Page 8 Empty Potty Game: 20 Questions, Set #4, Game #156

Post  Potteraholic Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:58 am

Potteraholic- Dec 26, 2009 12:43 pm (#129 of 2867)
Edited Dec 27, 2009 11:08 am

Update #4, The Final One

1. Is it a person? Yes.
2. Is it magical? No.
3. Is it an object? No.
4. Is this Muggle related to Harry? No, this person is not related to Harry.
5. Is it anything to do with people at his school? Yes, in a way.
6. Is it a she person? Yes.
7. Is this non-magical person a Squib rather than a Muggle? Yes.
8. Is it Mrs. Figg? YES!!! (I love her, too!)

Congratulations, freshwater! On to your puzzle!

Last edited by Potteraholic on Fri May 06, 2011 9:47 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : to add name and date and add link to header post)
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of 20 Questions - Page 8 Empty Potty Game: 20 Questions, Set #4, Game #157

Post  Potteraholic Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:58 am

freshwater - Dec 29, 2009 10:15 pm (#166 of 2867)

1. It this mystery 'whatever' an object? Yes.
2. Is it magical? Not in itself, although it may have some enchantments put on it.
3. Is it solid? Yes.
4. Is it seen at Hogwarts? Yes.
5. Do we see it in more than one book? No, I'm pretty sure that it is in only one book.
6. Do we see it in one of the first three books? Yes.
7. Does it have an owner? Yes.
8. Does the object remain at Hogwarts? No, it is seen in two locations in the book EDIT: one of which is Hogwarts.
9. Is this inherently non-magical object, found at Hogwarts, fixed to one spot? Uhmmm....yes? Yes, it is, whenever we see it. EDIT: Actually, now that I think about it more....we see this item removed from it's "fixed location" once (and perhaps more, when not in our sight)....but for 95% of it's appearance, we see it in the "fixed location".
10. Is Harry the owner? No, he is not.
11. Do we see this object in PoA? No.
12. Is it too heavy to be lifted by a girl? No, not at all.
13. Is this object owned by any one person at all? Yes, it is.
14. When we see this object in Hogwarts, is this "fixed location" a classroom? No, it is not.
15. Is this non-magical object, that may have some enchantments put on it, in CoS? No, it is not.
16. Does this object make its appearance in the first 3 months of term? Yes, it does.
17. Is this object located inside the castle? Nearly everytime we see it at Hogwarts, yes.
18. When we see it out of its fixed location, do we see it somewhere in London? We do see it in London, but it is still in its "fixed location" then.
19. Is it large like a bookcase? No.
20. Is it used by someone other than Harry? Yes.
21. Does Harry see this object in his first month at Hogwarts? Yes, he does.
22. Do we see Hagrid use this object? No.
23. Is this object a piece of clothing, like Professor Quirrel's turban? It is exactly like Prof. Quirrel's turban! Congratulations, PAH! You've got it!

Do you think my answers to #8 an #9 were misleading? I was hoping that someone would deduce that if it is "fixed in place" but was seen in a different location, that the item it was "fixed" to must be movable......too out there???

Last edited by Potteraholic on Fri May 06, 2011 9:47 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added link to index in header post)
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of 20 Questions - Page 8 Empty Potty Game: 20 Questions, Set #4, Game #158

Post  Potteraholic Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:59 am

Potteraholic - Dec 31, 2009 4:48 am (#195 of 2867)

Update #10, The Final One

1. Is it alive? No.
2. Is it an object? Yes.
3. Is it magical? Yes.
4. Would it fit in a school bag? Yes.
5. Is it one of a kind? Yes, in that there is more than one example of this object, but I am thinking of one example in particular.
6. Does it have a specific owner? Yes.
7. Is this specific magical object that would fit in a school bag, owned by a Hogwarts student? No.
8. Can it say something? No.
9. Is the owner of this particular item a wizard? No, not a wizard...
10. Is the owner male? No.
11. Is the owner a witch? Yes.
12. Is the owner a Hogwarts teacher? No.
13. Is the witch who owns this thing the parent of a Hogwarts student? No.
14. Is the witch a Ministry employee? No.
15. Do we see this witch in all 7 books? No.
16. Is this magical object associated with dark magic? Yes.
17. Is the witch Bellatrix Lestrange? Yes.
18. Is it Bella's wand? Yes!!!

Congratulations! Well done, Solitaire! The next puzzle is yours!

NOTE: Game #159 was copied out-of-sequence and can be found here.

Last edited by Potteraholic on Fri May 06, 2011 9:47 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : added link to index in header post)
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of 20 Questions - Page 8 Empty Potty Game: 20 Questions, Set #4, Game #160

Post  Potteraholic Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:07 am

Potteraholic - Jan 8, 2010 3:10 pm (#281 of 2867)

Update #8, The Final One

1. Is whatever it is magical? No.
2. Is it an object? No.
3. Is it a place? No.
4. Is it alive? Yes.
5. Is it a witch or wizard? No.
6. Are we talking about a Muggle? Yes.
7. Are they a friend of Dudley's? No.
8. Are they female? No.
9. Do we see this Muggle in the first book? Yes.
10. The station guard that Harry asks about platform numbers? No.
11. Is it the man that Mr Dursley hires the boat off? No.
12. The man in the Zoo that apologised for the glass disappearing? Yes!!! It's the Zoo Director, who makes Petunia a sweet cup of tea.

That always made me chuckle... tea, the antidote for most things. Now, off to get the Five Words story sorted... soon...

Over to you, now, legolas!

Last edited by Potteraholic on Fri May 06, 2011 4:04 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : to add bold tag and added link to index in header post)
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of 20 Questions - Page 8 Empty Potty Game: 20 Questions, Set #4, Game #161

Post  Potteraholic Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:45 pm

legolas returns - Jan 12, 2010 12:29 pm (#324 of 2867)

1. Is it alive? No
2. Is it magical? Very limited magicalness (if that is a word).
3. Do we see it in more than one book? Yes HRH see it in more than one book. It is mentioned only once to us.
4. Is it something that can be seen and touched? Yes, both.
5. Do we see it in all 7 books? HRH see it in most books.
6. Does this belong to a Hogwarts student? No
7. Is it something that is unique to Hogwarts castle? It is not found at Hogwarts or surrounding area at all.
8. Is it found at the Weasley house? No, nor in the surrounding area.
9. Does it belong to a magical adult? It isn't really that kind of an object anymore. Once upon a time it belonged to a magical adult.
10. Is this a location, as opposed to an object? The object and the location are both important. The object is fairly unimpressive but when you add the location it becomes very important.
11. Is this thing that is mentioned only once mentioned in an odd-numbered book? Yes
12. Is this thing that is mentioned only once mentioned in DH? No
13. Is this thing dangerous? No
14. Is it the front entrance to #12 Grimmauld Place? The door w/the snake-shaped knocker, perhaps? No, but you have got the idea that I was trying to explain (see bottom of post).
15. Is this object located in London? Yes
16. Is this thing that HRH see in most books mentioned in OotP? No, not that book.
17. Is it something we see in Diagon Alley? Yes, it’s in that area.
18. Is it in the Ministry of Magic? No
19. Is this thing that is mentioned for the one time in PoA? No, its mentioned in the book of the discovery of the magical world.
20. Is this thing located outside Diagon Alley, in Tottenham Court Road? No
21. Is this thing inside The Leaky Cauldron? No
22. Is it the entrance to the Leaky Cauldron?No
23. Is it the brick wall behind the Leaky Cauldron that you must tap to enter Diagon Alley? Yes. Congratulations!

Solitare - When I go into my bedroom my wardrobe is on the right of the room and the bed is on the left. The shape of the room means that I have to pass the wardrobe to get to the bed. On tuesday I hung up a summer coat and then went to bed. On wednesday I went to bed. I still passed the wardrobe but did not mention it. Using something similar HRH could have seen the object in its location but it could have been mentioned only once.

Last edited by Potteraholic on Fri May 06, 2011 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added link to index in header post)
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of 20 Questions - Page 8 Empty Potty Game: 20 Questions, Set #4, Game #162

Post  Potteraholic Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:47 pm

freshwater - Jan 17, 2010 8:52 am (#353 of 2867)

1. Is it magical? No.
2. Is it alive? No.
3. Is the thing in question seen in real time? Yes.
4. Do we see it in more than one book? No.
5. Do we see it in an even numbered book? Yes, we do.
6. Do we see it in HBP? No, we don't.
7. Is it part of Hogwarts? No, it isn't.
8. Is the item in question old? No, it isn't.
9. Does this item belong to a male? Yes, you could say that.
10. Do we see this item in GoF? No, we don't.
11. Is this "thing" something tangible? Yes, it is.
12. Do we see this item in the first half of CoS? Why, yes, we do!
13. Is it bigger than a breadbox? Yes.
14. Is there more than one of these? In the muggle world: yes. In the HP series: No.
15. Do we see this item at #4 Privet Drive? Yes, we do.
16. Is it the bars Uncle Vernon puts on Harry's window? YES, you have it, Solitaire!

Last edited by Potteraholic on Fri May 06, 2011 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added link to index in header post)
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of 20 Questions - Page 8 Empty Potty Game: 20 Questions, Set #4, Game #163

Post  Potteraholic Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:50 pm

Solitaire - Jan 22, 2010 10:21 pm (#391 of 2867)
Edited by Potteraholic Jan 23, 2010 8:23 am

1. Is it magical? Yes.
2. Is it alive? No.
3. Is it bigger than a breadbox? Yes.
4. Is it old? We aren't really told its actual age, so I do not know. I do know it is not brand new.
5. Is this item fixed or left in one place, as opposed to carried around? No, it is not permanently fixed in one place.
6. Do we see it at Hogwarts? No.
7. Do we see it at the Burrow? No, we never actually see it there ... but it has been there.
8. Does it belong to a woman? No, it doesn't belong to a woman. Another hint! Notice the word belong.
9. Is it ever in the possession of a student? Yes, it is.
10. Is it one of a kind? No, there are others similar to it.
11. Is it a poster? No.
12. Is it in more than one book? Yes.
13. Can you say it is actually in the possession of a singular owner at a given time? I'm not really sure how to answer that. I guess when we see it, it is usually in a kind of "joint" possession. (That is probably a big hint.)
14. Is it seen in books 1-3? No.
15. Is this magical object mentioned in a book that contains "of" in the title? Yes.
16. Do we see it in Diagon Alley? No.(I get the distinct feeling someone might have a very good idea of what it is.)
17. Is this magical object mentioned in GoF? Yes, it is, Potteraholic!
18. Does this object have anything to do with the Quidditch World Cup extravaganza? If you mean is it part of the event, no. BTW, this is a big hint!
19. Does this object have anything to do with the Tri-Wizard Tournament? No, not at all.
20. Is it something to do with Sirius? No.
21. Is it edible? No.
22. The tents that the Weasleys used at the Quidditch World cup? YES, it is one of them!!

Note that it does not belong to a woman (number Cool, even though a woman (Hermione) does have "custody" of it for a time (she lugs it around and all three us it in DH, the other book). Also, we do not actually see it at the Burrow, even though it must have been there, hidden in Hermione's handbag.

Congratulations, Legolas! The next game is yours!

Edited to insert the full list of questions asked, with their answers, into the final post of this game, which originally included just the winner's name, the answer, and an accompanying message.

Last edited by Potteraholic on Fri May 06, 2011 4:05 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : added link to index in header post)
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of 20 Questions - Page 8 Empty Potty Game: 20 Questions, Set #4, Game #164

Post  Potteraholic Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:54 pm

legolas returns - Jan 27, 2010 12:00 pm (#411 of 2867)

1.Is it a person? Yes
2. Is it something magical? It’s found in the magical world.
3. Is it a place? Yes
4. Is it shop or business? Yes
5. Is it located in Hogsmeade? No
6. Is it a place that is visited by Harry? Yes
7. Is this shop located in Diagon Alley? b]No[/b]
8. Does it sell something edible? b]No[/b]
9. Is this place found in Knockturn Alley? Yes
10. Not B&B, no? That will be a YES! Congratulations you are correct!

Last edited by Potteraholic on Fri May 06, 2011 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added link to index in header post)
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of 20 Questions - Page 8 Empty Potty Game: 20 Questions, Set #4, Game #165

Post  Potteraholic Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:55 pm

Orion - Feb 3, 2010 12:58 pm (#464 of 2867)

1. Is it magical? No.
2. Is it an object? Sort of.
3. Is it a person? No.
4. Do we see this person/thing/place at Hogwarts? Yes.
5. Does this belong to a male? Yes, although the word “belong” has to be stretched a bit to apply here.
6. Is this 'sort of' an object visible to the naked, human eye? Yes, indeed it is.
7. Is this 'sort of' object alive in some way? No.
8. Do we ever "see" this "sort of" object away from Hogwarts? No. It’s sort of short-lived.
9. Is it Umbridge's blood quill? No.
10. Is the male who this 'sort of an' object 'belongs' to, alive at the start of the series? Yes.
11. Is this non-magical, short-lived object made of wood? No.
12. Do we see this short-lived, non-magical, "sort of" object in one of the first three books? Yes, we do.
13. Is this thing in an odd numbered book? Yes.
14. Is this thing in Book 1? No.
15. Is the male who this 'sort of an' object 'belongs' to, dead at the end of the series? No.
16. Does this "sort of" object belong to Hagrid? No.
17. Is the male who this thing belongs to an adult? No.
18. Is it made of cloth? Not at all!
19. Can you hold this in your hands? Yes, but you wouldn’t like the soggy feeling.
20. Is this object seen before Harry meets Sirius (in his non-canine state) for the first time? Yes.
21. Is this item edible? Yes, but not very tasty. You don’t die from eating it.
22. Was this edible 'sort of' an object seen in a Potions class? No.
23. Is this edible 'sort of' an object seen in any of the first five chapters of PoA? No.
24. Is this item something the Weasley twins cooked up? No, but they might “cook up” similar “sort of” objects many, many times in their lives, just like everybody else.
25. Does this edible, non-magical, sort-of object come from a plant? Yes, it does.
26. Is this thing a "non tradeable substance" e.g there are regulations stopping the buying and selling of item? Certainly not! There would be riots!
27. Is this edible 'sort of' an object seen in any of the chapters of PoA, from 6 through and including 12? Yes.
28. Is it tea? Yes, it is, but for the correct answer can you please be much more specific?
29. Would this "object" a liquid? No, but soggy.
30. Does this object have something to do with Lupin's Wolfsbane potion? No.
31. Does this thing have anything to do with an activity in Prof. Trelawney's class? Yes.
32. Tea leaves? Yes, but which ones, that is to say, what do they show?
33. The leaves that show that Harry will come into money? No.
34. Or maybe the ones that - according to Trelawney at least - show a grim omen, a certain dog? That is correct, Julia, congratulations!

They were very prettily done in the film, IMO. They really looked like a dog and not even as if a big index finger had prodded them. PAH, for an object I find those tea leaves a bit undefined, because without the surface of the cup they wouldn’t have this special shape, you know what I mean? The answer I was looking for was indeed “the Grim which the tea leaves show in Trelawney’s first lesson”, but I’m very happy with Julia’s answer because it’s exactly the same. For me, an object has to have a closed shape with a surface which goes right around it, but maybe I’m a bit strict here. I hope the formatting is good and proper now.

Last edited by Potteraholic on Fri May 06, 2011 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added link to index in header post)
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of 20 Questions - Page 8 Empty Potty Game: 20 Questions, Set #4, Game #166

Post  Potteraholic Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:57 pm

Julia H. - Feb 7, 2010 1:06 am (#511 of 2867)

1. Is the mystery answer magical in any way? It is not mentioned.
2. Is he/she/it seen in more than one book? Yes.
3. Is it a person? No.
4. Is the mystery answer a concrete, touchable, tangible object? Yes.
5. Is this object seen in any of the odd numbered books? Yes.
6. Is it seen in any even-numbered books? Yes.
7. Can you hold it in one hand? Yes.
8. Is it dangerous? As an object, it is not.
9. Is it seen in any books after GoF? Yes.
10. Is it seen in all 7 books? No.
11. Is it mass-produced? Not in its final form, although it is based on something mass-produced.
12. Harry's super funky Firebolt? No.
13. Does it belong to a character? Yes, we can say that it does.
14. Is it first seen in PS/SS? No.
15. Is it seen in any books before GoF? No.
16. Is it first seen in GoF? No.
17. Is it first seen in an odd-numbered book? No.
18. Does this belong to a male character? Yes.
19. Does it belong to Harry? Not in the strictest sense of the word, but in a way it does.
20. Do we hear about this object in the first half of HBP, including chapter 15? No
21. Does the owner come into the possession of this object in real time in the books? It depends... I will say no, but it really depends on the meaning of "owner". Someone else might say yes.
22. Do we hear about this object in chapters 16 to, and including, 23? No
23. Is it bigger than a breadbox? No
24. Do we see/hear about this object in chapters 24 to, and including, 27? No
25. Do we see/hear about this object in an even-numbered chapter? Yes.
26. Do we see/hear about this object in Chapter 28, 'The Flight of the Prince'? Yes.
27. The message in the fake Horcrux? You are correct, Legolas! I was sure that someone would guess it now. Congratulations!

The questions about ownership were a little difficult to answer. Harry obtains the parchment (in "real time") and uses it, so in a way it "belongs" to him, but is he the owner? It is a message from Regulus to Voldemort, and Regulus wrote this message before the beginning of "real time", while Voldemort never actually received it.

Last edited by Potteraholic on Fri May 06, 2011 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added link to index in header post)
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of 20 Questions - Page 8 Empty Potty Game: 20 Questions, Set #4, Game #167

Post  Potteraholic Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:01 pm

legolas returns- Feb 9, 2010 1:16 pm (#540 of 2867)

1. Is it a place? No
2. Is this person/place/thing magical? No
3. Do we see him/her/it in more than one book? No
4. Is whatever it is first mentioned in a book that has the word 'of' in the title? Yes
5. Does he she it ever come in direct contact with Ron? Ron sees him/her/it with his eyes.
6. Is it an object? Yes
7. Is it a person? No
8. Is it being used in lessons? No
9. Is it seen on the Hogwarts premises? Yes
10. Do we see it in PoA? Yes
11. Is this object seen before Christmas? Yes but that is not the only time. It is seen later.
12. Is this object seen before Halloween? Yes before and afterwards.
13. Does this object belong to a female? It is owned by a man.
14. Is this item made out of paper? No
15. Is this object seen in the Gryffindor common room? No
16. Does this object belong to a student (at least at the time that Ron sees it)? No
17. Is the man who owns it a professor? Yes
18. Is this item seen on the Hogwarts Express? Yes, that is one of the occasions.
19. Is it Remus J. Lupin's monogrammed leather briefcase? Yes, Congratulations you are correct!

Last edited by Potteraholic on Fri May 06, 2011 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added link to index in header post)
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of 20 Questions - Page 8 Empty Potty Game: 20 Questions, Set #4, Game #168

Post  Potteraholic Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:27 pm

Potteraholic - Feb 15, 2010 10:17 am (#599 of 2867)

Update #23 - The Final One

1. Is it alive? No
2. Is it something/someone that Harry Potter dislikes? Hmmm... Suffice it to say, Harry does not like the fact that this something/someone exists. That's the best I can do to answer this question truthfully, using the words given in the question.
3. Is it someone/something Harry must battle at some point during the series? No
4. Is this some sort of magical creature? No Aren't magical creatures alive?
5. Is it a Horcrux? No
6. Is it pretty to look at? Yes, some might say so, but other adjectives would be more suitable. Aarrgghh! I just want to be able to answer 'Yes' or 'No', lol.
7. Sorry for being boring, but is this a solid object? Yes!
8. Do we see it in more than one book? Yes!
9. Does Harry encounter whatever this is at Hogwarts? Encounter? I'm interpreting that as 'see'. Yes.
10. Is it bigger than a bread box? Yes!
11. Is it made of stone? Yes!
12. Is it one-of-a-kind? Yes in the series, yes.
13. Does he "see" it in GoF? No
14. Do we see it in DH? Yes!
15. Does Harry encounter this stone thing in any place other than Hogwarts? No
16. Is this stone thing magical or enchanted in any way? Hmmm... Yes, but just a tiny little bit once, I think. It's unclear to me, even after reading the relevant text. Again, sorry for the vagueness!
17. Is this stone thing a part of the building i.e. firmly attached to the building? No
18. Is it the Pensieve? No, I thought the Pensieve was definitely and 100% magical, all the time?
19. Is it ever in DD's office? No
20. When you say stone, do you mean gem? No
21. Is it a statue? No
22. Bust of Rowena Ravenclaw? No
23. Does Harry see this stone item in CoS? No
24. Is it something he sees in the Pensieve? No
25. Is it a Gargoyle? No
26. Is the item found after chapter 24 in DH? Yes, but it may not be mentioned by name after chapter 24. I'm not going to be able to re-read the last 12 chapters right now, to be absolutely sure.
27. Do we also see it in HBP? Yes!
28. Is Harry with someone else when he sees this item? Yes!
29. Is he with Luna? Yes, in a way... Harry is not just with Luna when he sees this item.
30. Does this have something to do with the Room of Requirement? No,nothing at all.
31. Is this stone thing a place, like a building? Hmmm... It is not a building, but some may refer to this stone thing as if it were a location, more than a place, per se.
32. Is Harry hiding under the Invisibility Cloak when he sees this item in DH? No
33. Is this thing mobile i.e. does it change its location? No,never.
34. Is it Dumbledore's Tomb? YES!!!, though its existence is a very sad thing... , hence my answer to Q #2.
35. Is it too heavy to be carried around? Yes... thanks for your question, Orion.

I tried to be as forthright with the answers to Questions #2, #6, #16, #26, #29, and #31 as I could be, using the language of the questions and not giving away too much in my answer. Sometimes the language of a question is subjective, leaving it open for interpretation.
- For Q #6, white marbled-tomb was somberly beautiful, hence my answer about whether it was 'pretty'.
- For Q #16, a bit of magic was done to make the tomb appear, hence my answer there.
- For Q #26, the tomb was mentioned by name in Ch. 24 when Harry saw Voldemort desecrating it to get the Elder Wand, but can be found after Ch. 24, indeed, in the whole of DH, I reasoned, since it appeared at the end on HPB and was there by the lake throughout all of DH.
- For Q #29, well... Harry was with Luna in that all of Hogwarts was in attendance at DD's funeral.
- For Q #31, the distinction I made between 'location' and 'place was this: I thought of 'location' as a position in space, while 'place', to my mind, was a 'dwelling' or 'structure' of some sort.

Okay... this explanation has gone on long enough...

Congratulations, freshwater! Looking forward to your puzzle.

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of 20 Questions - Page 8 Empty Potty Game: 20 Questions, Set #4, Game #169

Post  Potteraholic Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:41 pm

freshwater - Feb 21, 2010 8:31 am (#637 of 2867)

1. Is the person/place/thing/idea/event/activity magical? Yes.
2. Is it a person? No.
3. Is it seen in more than one book? No.
4. Is it seen in real time? Yes.
5. Do we first read about it in an odd numbered book? Yes.
6. Was it ever alive? Yes.
7. Do we read about it in a book with the word "of" in the title? Yes.
8. Is it in the third book? No.
9. Is it a magical creature? Hmmm...well, it is magical (see question #1) and it is a creature...but it is not a "magical creature" in the sense that a hippogriff is.
10. Do we ever see it inside Hogwarts Castle? No.
11. Is it still alive? Yes, we have no reason to think that it is not.
12. Is this thing a magical plant? No.
13. Does this creature have four legs? No.
14. Do we see it in London? Yes.
15. Can it talk? No.
16. Is the creature owned by a person? No, not that we know of.
17. Does this creature have wings? Yes, it does.
18. Is it found at #12 Grimmmauld Place? No.
19. 19. Does this creature have a name, like 'Hedwig', 'Fang', 'Crookshanks'... a pet name in addition to its 'species' name? No, not that we know of.
20. Does this winged creature appear in the first half of OotP (Chs. 1 through 19)? No.
21. Do we see it in Diagon Alley? No.
22. A Doxy? Good guess, but no. (see #9)
23. Do more than one appear in the books? No, we only see the one.
24. Does this winged creature appear in any of the chapters 20 through 29 of OotP? No, it does not.
25. Is this winged creature considered a pest? No, not in itself, at least.
26. Is this creature associated with the Ministry of Magic? Yes, it is.
27. Does Harry ever come into direct contact with this creature? He sees it, but does not touch it.
28. Does this winged creature appear in any of the chapters 30 through 35 of OotP? Yes, it does.
29. Is it the hummingbird coming out of its egg and going back again, which Harry and his friends see in the Ministry? YES, Julia, you've got it! Well done!

My odd answer to #25 was due to the fact that the hummingbird's birth and degeneration represented time....which some people find a "pest" to deal with.

Last edited by Potteraholic on Fri May 06, 2011 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added link to index in header post)
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of 20 Questions - Page 8 Empty Potty Game: 20 Questions, Set #4, Game #170

Post  Potteraholic Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:49 pm

Julia H. - Feb 24, 2010 6:41 am (#677 of 2867)

1. Is it magical? Yes.
2. Is it an object? Yes.
3. Do we read about it in all 7 books? No.
4. Is it smaller than a bread box? Yes.
5. Is it pocket size (just like to be precise)? Yes.
6. Do we see it in more than one book? No.
7. Do we first read about it in an even-numbered book? No.
8. Does it belong to a student? No (although it depends on what we mean by "belong").
9. Do we first read about it in a book whose title ends with 2 words, preceded by 'Harry Potter and the...'? Yes.
10. Does it ever pass into Harry's possession? It does, but only in a highly theoretical sense.
11. If the item does not directly belong to a student, does the student in question have the item for a reasonable period of time? No, not in a practical sense.
12. Do we read about this pocket-sized magical object in the first book? No.
13. Is it the Elder Wand (DD's wand)? No.
14. Do we see it in PoA? No.
15. Is any part of this magical pocket-sized object made of metal? No.
16. Do we read about this pocket-sized magical object in the first half of DH, including ch. 18? No.
17. In DH, do we read about this pocket-sized magical object before the trio return to Hogwarts via the tunnel from Aberforth's pub? No.
18. Do we see this object after the death of Severus Snape? Yes.
19. Is this item found in the ROR? No.
20. Do we see this object in an even numbered chapter? No.
21. Is it the Resurrection Stone? No.
22. Do we see this item between the time Snape dies and the time Harry meets Voldemort in the forest? Yes.
23. Is it the piece of Lily's letter to Sirius that Snape found in Sirius' bedroom, the part with her signature on it? No...
24. Is it the letter that DD wrote to Petunia saying attending Hogwarts was not possible? No.
25. Or the photograph Severus ripped, taking the part with Lily on it? No.
26. Or Lily's letter to Sirius, the page Severus didn't take? No.
27. Is it the letter that Petunia wrote to DD asking for admission to Hogwarts? No.
28. Or the photograph Severus ripped, leaving the part with James and Sirius on it behind? LOL, YES, I think what you really mean is the answer here!!! It is the part of the ripped photo of the Potter family (not Sirius!) that had Lily on it and which Severus kept (leaving the rest of the photo behind).
29. Or the envelope that DD's letter from Hogwarts came in? No.

The photo must be a magical photo (with a moving Lily) since the left-behind part has Harry zooming in and out on his broomstick. I figured, if one half was magical, the other half must be magical, too. We read about the rest of the photo in the first half of DH, but not about this part. It is first mentioned in The Prince's Tale. I had problems with "ownership" questions, as usual. Legally, it must be Harry's, since he inherited everything in Sirius's house. However, he never really "has" this half-photo, he only sees it in Snape's memory.

Congratulations, PAH! It's your turn now.

Last edited by Potteraholic on Fri May 06, 2011 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added link to index in header post)
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of 20 Questions - Page 8 Empty Potty Game: 20 Questions, Set #4, Game #171

Post  Potteraholic Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:54 pm

Potteraholic - Feb 26, 2010 3:48 am (#700 of 2867)

Update #10 - The Final One

1. Is it a person? Yes.
2. Do we see it in more than one book? No.
3. Is it something magical? No.
4. Do we see this Muggle in an even-numbered book? No.
5. Do we see this person in book 1? No.
6. Is it a female? No.
7. Is he a Squib? No.
8. Is the male Muggle seen in book 3? No.
9. Is he an adult? No.
10. Does he live in Little Whinging near the Dursley's? Most likely.
11. Does Harry like this boy? It's not mentioned, one way or the other.
12. Do we hear about this person in a conversation rather than actually "seeing" him? Yes.
13. Is it the boy that Dudley beats up? I think his surname is Evans? Yes!!! Mark Evans, to be exact.

Note: the words 'see'/'seen' should be used somewhat loosely...

Congrats, legolas! On to your puzzle...

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of 20 Questions - Page 8 Empty Potty Game: 20 Questions, Set #4, Game #172

Post  Potteraholic Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:57 pm

legolas returns - Mar 2, 2010 10:49 am (#725 of 2867)

1. Is it someone/something/somewhere magical? Yes.
2. Is it a person? No.
3. Is it an object? No.
4. Is it a living being? Yes.
5. Is it a place? No.
6. Do we see it in more than one book? No.
7. Is it a living being which can speak a language, any language? We aren't given any information on whether it has language but I would say it makes noises.
8. Is it found at Hogwarts? No.
9. Is it an animal-type creature, as opposed to a plant-type one? It's an animal.
10. Do we see it in books 1-3? No.
11. Do we see this magical animal in an even-numbered book? No.
12. Do we see this magical animal in OotP? No.
13. Does this animal fly? Yes.
14. Is this magical flying animal a dragon? Yes.
15. Is this the Gringott's dragon which the trio set free and on whose back they escaped from London? Yes. Congratulations you are correct.

Last edited by Potteraholic on Fri May 06, 2011 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added link to index in header post)
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of 20 Questions - Page 8 Empty Potty Game: 20 Questions, Set #4, Game #173

Post  Potteraholic Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:14 am

Potteraholic - Mar 6, 2010 4:02 pm (#771 of 2867)

Update #18 - The Final One!

1. Is it a magical something? No.
2. Is it a place? No.
3. Do we see it in more than one book? No.
4. Is it in an odd numbered book? No.
5. Is it an object? It's a thing.
6. Is it a person? No.
7. Is this non-magical thing seen earlier than GoF? Yes.
8. Is this non-magical thing alive? No.
9. Is this thing tangible? Yes.
10. Can it fit into a pocket? No.
11. Is this thing found only in magical households? No, this thing is not found in any household, magical or otherwise.
12. Is this non-magical thing found at Hogwarts? Yes.
13. Is it found outside? No.
14. Is it in London? No.
15. Is this object owned by a student? Perhaps... I suppose, in a way this thing can be considered to be 'owned' by a student.
(I'm specifically not using the word 'object' as it is more specific, to my mind, than 'thing'.) Sorry for being so cryptic.
16. Is Harry the "owner" of this thing ... whatever it is? No.
17. Does this thing belong to--or is it used by--a female student? Yes ... inasmuch as this thing can be 'owned' by anyone, it is 'owned' by a female student.
18. Does it have anything to do with Moaning Myrtle? Yes... in a way.
19. Is it a toilet? No; I consider a toilet an 'object', whereas what I'm thinking of I consider a 'thing'. In my mind, there is a distinction: one is more definite, and the other is more amorphous.
Probably not much help, huh? Also, isn't MM's toilet seen in more than one book? (Q #3)?
20. Does it have anything to do with Hermione? I'm going to say, No, without me reading too much into 'anything'.
21. Do we see this non-magical thing in more than one location at Hogwarts? No.
22. Do we see it in Moaning Myrtle's bathroom? No, not in(side) Moaning Myrtle's bathroom.
23. Do we see it in some other bathroom? No.
24. Is it anything to do with GOF and the 2nd task in the lake? No; see Q #3 and #7.
25. Is it the passage from Moaning Myrtle's toilet into the lake next to Hogwarts? No.
26. Is this amorphous "thing" a group (or maybe a couple) of kids? No.
27. Is it the message painted in chicken blood on the wall in the hallway? YES!!! Congratulations, shepherdess!

Okay, now that all is revealed, I hope my answers make sense now, without any additional explanation. Last time I had a puzzle, I felt like I explained my answers too much, so I'll err on the 'less is more' side this time.

Last edited by Potteraholic on Fri May 06, 2011 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added link to index in header post)
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of 20 Questions - Page 8 Empty Potty Game: 20 Questions, Set #4, Game #174

Post  Potteraholic Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:21 am

shepherdess - Mar 12, 2010 3:38 pm (#817 of 2867)

1. Do we first read about this thing in an odd-numbered book? Yes
2. Is it a person? No
3. Is it magical? Yes
4. Is it an object? No
5. Is it a place? No
6. Do we first read about this thing in a book with 'of' in the title? Yes
7. Do we first read about this thing in Book 3? No
8. Is it a creature? No
9. Is it an abstract form of magic? It's an abstract concept in that it's a specific piece of magic.
10. Is it mentioned in chapters 1 to 10 of OotP? No
11. Is it a spell? No
12. Is it mentioned in chapters 11 to 20 of OotP? Yes
13. Summoning charm? No
14. Is it something associated with the DA? No
15. Is it mentioned in chapters 11 to 15 of OotP? No
16. Is it a magical activity, like fire-talking (using the Floo Network to communicate)? No
17. Protean Charm? No
18. Is the person affected by this magic a student? Yes (there's more than one, but I'm looking for one in particular)
19. Is this magic associated with the fight against Voldemort? No, not at all
20. Is it mentioned in chapters 16, 17, or 18? Yes
21. Does it affect anyone named Weasley? Yes it does
22. Does it affect more than one Weasley? Not that we read about
23. Is Ginny the Weasley affected? If she is, we don't know; but she's not the one I'm looking for
24. Is Ron Weasley the one affected? Yes
25. Is it mentioned in an even-numbered chapter? No
26. Is it the rule where a boy can't go into the Gryffindor girls' dormitory, and the stairs turn to a slide if one tries to walk up them? Yes, that's close enough

I was looking for the enchantment (or charm?) on the stairs that make them turn into a slide when Ron tries to go up to the girl's dorm.

Good job, Potteraholic! Your turn!

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of 20 Questions - Page 8 Empty Potty Game: 20 Questions, Set #4, Game #175

Post  Potteraholic Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:22 am

Potteraholic - Mar 18, 2010 3:18 am (#856 of 2867)
Edited Mar 18, 2010 8:42 am

Update #15 - The Final One

1. Is it a person? No.
2. Is it magical? Yes.
3. Is it alive? No.
4. Is it a place? No.
5. Is it an object? Yes.
6. Is it seen in more than one book? Yes.
7. Is it owned by a student? No.
8. Is it owned by someone at Hogwarts? Yes.
9. Is it an object that has a neutral/beneficial effect rather than a negative effect? Yes.
10. Is this magical object owned by an adult? Yes.
11. Is the owner a teacher at any point in the series? Sort of, re: the teacher part.
12. Is Hagrid the owner? No.
13. Does it belong to Dumbledore? Yes.
14. Is it small enough to fit in your hand? No.
15. Do we first see it in an odd numbered book? No.
16. Do we see it in any even numbered books? Yes.
17. Is it made of metal? No.
18. Could it fit in the average Jansport backpack? Perhaps? Probably? Yes? (Can't tell its exact size from the description and/or descriptions provided.)
19. Is this object something that generally stays in DD's office? Yes.
20. Do we first see this object in GoF? Yes.
21. Is it a means of detection? No.
22. Just to be sure: It is not the Pensieve, is it? (I guess the Pensieve is a means of detection, but still...) YES!!! Congrats, Julia!

I didn't consider the Pensieve a 'means of detection'. Items like the foe spyglass and a sneakoscope, or a spell that alerts the caster that human presence is nearby, are what I consider things that are a 'means of detection', hence my 'NO' answer for Q #21. I considered a Pensieve just as a container, that was a 'means of reflection', I suppose. But I just wanted to be able to answer Q #22 21 with a simple 'YES' or 'NO', which is often hard to do in this game.

In any case, onto your game, Julia...

Last edited by Potteraholic on Fri May 06, 2011 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added link to index in header post)
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of 20 Questions - Page 8 Empty Potty Game: 20 Questions, Set #4, Game #176

Post  Potteraholic Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:23 am

Julia H. - Mar 21, 2010 6:19 am (#896 of 2867)

1. Is it person? No.
2. Is is seen in more than one book? No. (At least I don't think so.)
3. Is it a place? No.
4. Is it alive? No.
5. Is it seen in a book with 'of' in the title? Yes.
6. Is it a piece of magic? No.
7. Is it an object? Yes. (Or at least a thing.)
8. Do we see it in an odd-numbered book? Yes.
9. Is it mentioned in PoA? Yes.
10. Is it something to do with Sirius? No.
11. Is it magical? Perhaps. (Not mentioned.)
12. Is this nonliving thing seen only in PoA, something that is touchable? Yes.
13. Is it something that Harry would see with Lupin? No.
14. Is this nonliving thing mentioned only in PoA, something that is visible to the naked eye? Yes.
15. Is this thing seen in Hogwarts? Yes.
16. Does it have something to do with Buckbeak? No.
17. Is it small enough to hold in your hand? Yes.
18. Is it something that was purchased in Hogsmeade? No.
19. Is this item something the kids use in one of their classes? No.
20. Does it belong to an adult? No.
21. Is it the broomstick cleaning kit? No.
22. Is this thing seen in the first half of PoA, chapters 1 through 11? (including ch. 11) Yes.
23. Rat tonic? Yes!!! Congratulations, Legolas!

Last edited by Potteraholic on Fri May 06, 2011 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added link to index in header post)
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of 20 Questions - Page 8 Empty Potty Game: 20 Questions, Set #4, Game #177

Post  Potteraholic Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:24 am

legolas returns - Mar 25, 2010 2:37 pm (#934 of 2867)

1. Is it a person? No
2. Is it magical? No
3. Is it a place? No
4. Do we see it in real time in the series? Yes
5. Do we see it in the first 3 books? Yes but it is also mentioned in a later book.
6. Is it a touchable thing? Yes
7. Do we see whatever this is in the last book? It isn't mentioned but I would assume it is still there.
8. Is it something living? No
9. Do we see it at Hogwarts? No
10. Is it first mentioned in an odd-numbered book? No
11. Is this something that belongs to a Muggle? No, but it is an item that a Muggle could own
12. Do we see it in Privet Drive? No
13. Is this item first mentioned before the trio head down to Nearly Headless Nick's Deathday Party? Yes
14. Is this item first mentioned before Harry arrives at the Burrow? No
15. Is this item first mentioned while Harry stays at the Burrow? Yes
16. Do we see it in the Weasley's garden shed? No
17. Is it something you might find on a dining table? No
18. Is it the attic where the Ghoul lives? No, they don't go up until DH
19. Is it something that belongs to / is associated with one particular Weasley (rather than the whole family)? Yes
20. Do we see it in the Weasley's kitchen? No
21. Do we see it in Ron's bedroom? Yes
22. Is it Ron's orange Chudley Cannons bedspread? No
23. Is it Ron's collection of 'The Adventures of Martin Miggs, the Mad Muggle' comics? No
24. Is it Ron's Chudley Cannons team poster? No
25. Is it the fish tank full of frog spawn on the windowsill, that Scabbers was snoozing next to? Yes. Congratulations! The contents of the tank have changed to a large frog when Harry goes back to the Burrow in GOF.

Last edited by Potteraholic on Fri May 06, 2011 4:13 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : added link to index in header post)
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of 20 Questions - Page 8 Empty Potty Game: 20 Questions, Set #4, Game #178

Post  Potteraholic Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:25 am

Potteraholic - Mar 29, 2010 2:40 pm (#968 of 2867)

Update #13 - The Final One

1. Is it magical? Yes.
2. Is it alive? No.
3. Is it a person? No.
4. Would it fit in a school bag? No.
5. Is it an object? Yes.
6. Is it seen in more than one book? No.
7. Is the object easy to lift without magic? I don't know about 'easy', but Yes, it's possible.
8. Does it belong to Harry? No.
9. Do we see it in DH? No.
10. Do we see it at Hogwarts? Yes.
11. Is it something that belongs to or is a part of the castle, as opposed to belonging to a particular person? No, to the first part of the question.
12. Does it belong to a student? No.
13. Does it belong to a professor? In a way, Yes.
14. Do we see it in an even-numbered book? Yes.
15. Is Dumbledore the "in a way" professor from #13? No.
16. Is the 'in a way' owner a male? Yes.
17. Do we see the item in HBP? No.
18. Do we see it in GoF? Yes!
19. Is it an item of furniture? Perhaps; it's not the main function of this thing, but some might consider it to be one.
20. Does it belong to Moody? Yes.
21. Moody's magical trunk? Yes! Congrats, Julia!

Last edited by Potteraholic on Fri May 06, 2011 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added link to index in header post)
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of 20 Questions - Page 8 Empty Potty Game: 20 Questions, Set #4, Game #179

Post  Potteraholic Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:33 am

Julia H. - Apr 2, 2010 7:51 am (#1005 of 2867)

1. Is whatever it is, magical? I think it must be associated with magic in some way, though it may not be the typical magical place/person/thing.
2. Is it alive? No.
3. Is whatever it is an abstract concept? I think it can be regarded as abstract to some degree. Or we can say that it has an abstract aspect.
4. Does this vague whatever it is first appear in a book with an 'of' in the title? No.
5. Is it mentioned in more than one book? No.
6. Does it first appear in an odd-numbered book? No.
7. Does this abstract-to-some-degree "thing" behave as though it is alive? No.
8. Does it have a voice/make a noise/be audible in any way? No.
9. Does it first appear in the first half of HBP, including chapter 15? No.
10. Is it visible to the naked eye? Yes.
11. Is it mentioned after Aragog's death? Yes.
12. Is it mentioned after Dumbledore's death? Yes.
13. Is it first mentioned in an odd-numbered chapter? No.
14. Is it that note that R.A.B. left in the fake locket? No.
15. Is it first mentioned in the chapter called 'Flight of the Prince'? No.
16. Is whatever this 'thing' is mentioned before Dumbledore's funeral? Yes.
17. Is whatever this 'thing' is, connected to Snape? Yes.
18. Is whatever this 'thing' is, mentioned in the Great Hall? No.
19. Does it move? No.
20. Is whatever this 'thing' is, Snape calling himself the 'Half-Blood Prince' in his Potions textbook? No.
21. Is whatever this 'thing' is, mentioned in Hermione's dialogue? Yes.
22. Is it the tiny announcement in an old Prophet about Eileen Prince marrying a Muggle named Tobias Snape? No.
23. Is it the later announcement in an old Prophet saying Eileen Prince had given birth to Severus Snape? Yes!!!

OK, let me explain:

Q1: Unlike Muggle newspapers, the Prophet must be published by the use of magic in the process (cf. Mr Lovegood's home printing machine or Rita's quill), but the published material does not have magical properties in the sense of a typical magical object (like an invisibility cloak) - except that the pictures move. It is like Mrs Weasley's dinner: Produced with magic but otherwise quite like an ordinary (though very delicious) dinner.

Q3: The announcement has a material form (ink and parchment), but it is also the information that it contains, which is more abstract than the newspaper itself - i.e., it is not tangible.

Sorry if my answers were confusing, I only wanted to be very precise.

Congratulations, PAH!

Last edited by Potteraholic on Fri May 06, 2011 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added link to index in header post)
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of 20 Questions - Page 8 Empty Re: Archive of 20 Questions

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next